Heaven (Book 2 of Hell)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You'll have to forgive me," I continued. "I hoped to find out a little more about you and brought supplies as a gift. But now I know I'm trespassing, I've sent them off."

"What kind of supplies?" Their leader asked.

"Some food mostly, a few potions for healing. Stuff that would travel well," I didn't like the way he started glancing at the cart, even as they continued on.

"How'd you get those things to listen to you?" He snapped.

I just shook my head, "Look, I didn't mean any trouble coming here. Clearly you've a problem with it, so I'm going to leave."

"You're not going anywhere," the man laughed.

"Right," I nodded.

Turning Sarge on the spot, I leaned him into a run. Unlike the horses who were mostly confined to flat ground, Sarge was built for the worst terrain. So running along the tops of the car bodies was nothing to the large creature. Several shouts went up behind us and the sounds of hooves began to approach. I might be able to keep my distance by running Sarge over obstacles. But that didn't make horses slow and Norman was definitely not fast. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw a group of four trying desperately to keep up with me. But the majority of them followed after Norman. Henrietta seemed to know this was coming as she had her sword out already. I watched Paula raise her crossbow. I didn't see the shot, but one of the first riders beside the leader let out a scream.

With a snarl, I whirled Sarge around and raced to intercept. The four that had followed me seemed to freeze as I raced towards them. Pulling my glaive, I watched them trying to get their weapons ready. But only one managed to actually raise their sword in time for Sarge to leap clean over him. I could have taken the man beside him in the leap, but I wanted the element of surprise.

Racing along after the horses, I was on an intercept with their leader. I sped things along, dropping sarge onto the ground itself. Without having to rely on looking for good perches, Sarge was far quicker. Quicker even than a horse as he rapidly made up ground. I watched in horror as several javelins were thrown at the cart. Henrietta whirled out of the way with Zena. But Paula had to dive for cover, coming up an instant later with her crossbow.

I smiled in grim satisfaction as I spotted the shaft fly out and disappear into the crowd with a scream. Switching my glaive to my off hand, I took hold of the net and leaned Sarge into a full sprint. Bursting ahead of the charge, I whipped the net out and hurled it at the leader's horse. His eyes went wide with shock as he swerved hard. My net missed, going under the legs of the horse behind him, sending the animal to the ground with a thump. But the damage was done. When the leader swerved, he pushed the rider beside him into a wreck. And as the horse collided with the wreck, it caused the few horses that got around the netted individual to then have to dodge the next.

The leader on the other hand was still mobile. Raising his spear, he charged right at me. I tried to get out of the way, but he had the greater reach on his side, and the metal point slammed into my hip. Being strapped into the saddle, the massive impact knocked Sarge to the ground, with me trapped partially beneath him.

With me on the ground, strapped in place, Sarge had ended up on his side and couldn't get the momentum to right himself. The leader rode over, raising his spear as if to try and stab me. But a crossbow bolt appeared in his chest and he dropped the weapon instead. Turning his horse around, the man made a hasty retreat. The others weren't as inclined, but Henrietta charged past, sending them scurrying.

Reaching down, I unlatched one leg, before patting Sarge. The large bird rolled, and with me staying on the ground, he managed to get himself oriented. Unlatching my trapped leg, I flopped back as Sarge stood. Hauling myself up, I glanced around. Henrietta was giving chase to the final group of men. Cerb was mauling a man who screamed incessantly. Sarge let out a loud shriek. I turned and saw him rushing towards the cart. Turning, I couldn't see Gary, but Paula was laying over the side of the cart with her crossbow held limply in her grip.

The four men I'd left behind were in the cart with her. They scrambled to stuff as many supplies into their backpacks as they could, before spotting Sarge coming.

"Paula!" I yelled, scooping up my glaive. "Gary!" I yelled, looking for the man.

The four men threw themselves back onto their horses and fled in random directions. Sarge, confused at the tactic, slid to a halt, before picking one at random and rushing off to catch him. But I didn't have time to deal with them. I raced to the cart and hauled myself up onto the back. I froze at the sight of all the blood and spotted two javelins.

"Paula!" I cried.

Slipping, I fell into the cart, but I crawled to her. Grabbing the older woman by the hip, I dragged her back into the cart and rolled her over. Her eyes were open and glossy. There were two puncture marks on her torso from the javelins. They'd gone through her leather armour with ease. I felt for a pulse and came up with nothing. Laying her flat, I shifted some of the supplies so her head angled back slightly. Then I started CPR. I pumped her chest firmly to a beat I counted in my head. Then I leaned over, pinching her nose, I breathed air into her lungs, before starting compressions.

"Edith, tell me CPR works!" I snapped, pumping away. "EDITH?!" As a last ditch attempt, I summoned my healing spray and gave each stab wound a spritz, before going back to chest compressions. "FOR FUCKS SAKE EDITH CAN I SAVE HER?!"

"No Mr. Ryan," Edith said softly.

I froze, before looking down at Paula. She was a friend. Someone I trusted and admired. And she was dead. I sighed and lowered my gaze. I felt an ache in my chest, for a lost friend as I stood and looked around. Henrietta was on her way back, but there was still no sign of Gary. I took a moment to lay Paula comfortably and put her hands over her chest. Closing her eyes, I jumped down from the cart as Henrietta pulled up.

"Oh no," She gasped. "Paula!"

"I can't find Gary," I told her.

Henrietta's distraught expression turned to me, before Zena surged into motion as she went to make a loop. I stepped back and looked around. Cerb trotted past towards the mule and I followed after to check Norman. And that's where I saw him. Gary's body lay crumpled on the ground beside the mule. His armour was crushed and his poleaxe was casually tossed aside.

"No!" I yelled, as Cerb laid down and put her head on her paws.

Running over, I grabbed his shoulder and hauled him over. His expression, what I could see of it, was blank. With a sigh and an aching heart, I took his hand. Squatting down, I leaned my shoulder into his lower chest. Scooping my arm under his waist, I rocked back and rolled him onto my shoulders. That he was a dead weight, made it difficult. But once I had him square on my shoulders I turned and carried him back to the cart.

Zena's footsteps coming up behind me weren't a surprise. She slid to a stop as I reached the cart and Henrietta scrambled onboard. I lowered Gary onto the back of the cart and she helped lay him gently. Then after I climbed on, the two of us moved him to lay beside Paula.

"I know they aren't dead," I said, wiping my eyes. "But that doesn't make this feel less real."

"Edith, you put them somewhere safe. Whatever wave I wake up in, I want them there. Dying in an ambush from behind isn't a failure of skill."

"I'll make a note Mr. Ryan."

Nodding, I sighed and gave Henrietta a hug. She clung to me for a few moments, before pulling away. There were tears on her cheeks beneath the steel of her helmet, but she stepped away. I climbed down from the cart, before helping her down. As she headed back to Zena, I called over Sarge and mounted. Riding around to Norman, the mule grunted at me.

"Follow," I told him.

It was mid afternoon before we strode into town. We'd been joined by a small group of traders, who had stopped asking questions when they saw the bodies. Claire was waiting with a hopeful smile at the gate, but she saw the expression on my face before she seemed to start counting heads. All at once, she covered her mouth with her hands and ran out to meet us. I dismounted Sarge and met her with open arms.

"What happened, where's Paula and Gary?"

"Dead," I said softly. "They attacked us on horseback. I split them up and while I tried to deal with the main group, some got around and caught them by surprise."

Claire trembled as she pulled from my arms. "Where?"

"In the cart."

Claire nodded and stepped around as Henrietta dismounted and came to join her. They hugged briefly, before Claire climbed up onto the cart. I waved for Sarge to keep moving and walked through the gate. People didn't need to see what was in the cart to know something had gone very wrong. I was splattered with blood and more than one person was whispering about only two of us coming back.

"Edith, firewood," I said blankly.

"How much?"

I sighed. "Enough for a funeral pyre for two. Be generous."

There was a small gasp as the wood appeared beside me. I didn't bother arguing, I just grabbed a stack and hauled it to the space between the gate and the fountain. Setting it down I went for the next. Claire and Barb got Norman and the shriekers put away, while someone took the bodies away to clean them up. On one of my trips, I noticed Henry behind me. He carried a stack as well and we laid them out. On the next trip, Lara was directing a third man on how exactly to place the stacks of firewood. We did as she instructed and soon we had a few dozen people in a line handing stacks down. When it was all said and done, there was no sign of my ladies, so I went inside. Moving through the warehouse, it felt oddly quiet. Even the kitchens, usually full of laughter and shouting to be heard, worked in relative silence.

I made my way up into the apartments and took a shower. Then, wrapped in a towel, I made my way back to our room and sat. I have no idea how long I sat there, but one by one my ladies trickled in.

The last to arrive was Claire. She smiled sadly at everyone. "We're going to eat after the ceremony," she said softly. "Edith, can we get something nice to wear for each of us?"

In my lap was deposited a soft feeling set of clothing. I did my usual and touched them to dress in an instant. The fabric was soft, black and unlike my usual travellers outfit, it was more suitable for a funeral. With a sigh, I got up as the rest of them dressed. They all wore slight variations of evening gowns. Each of them looked lovely, but the mood was sombre. Making our way out of the room, we went downstairs. The rest of the town was coming out, many more dressed like us as we headed outside. There was no speaking, no real noise. Just the gentle taps of our footsteps on concrete. Even the kitchens had closed up, though food lay in warming trays ready for our return.

Stepping outside I looked around, before the sound of a small cart caught my attention. Turning, Moo, who was draped in a black banner, towed a small cart. Atop the cart was Gary and Paula. Both on stretchers and dressed in white shifts. Moo was led out by Barb, while the cart was escorted by Lillian and one of the newer ladies that had come to stay with us.

As Barb brought Moo to a stop, several men got to work, shifting some sticks, while others lifted Gary and Paula, who had been set on stretchers and carried them onto the raised section in the middle. As they pulled out, someone gave me a look, asking silently for approval. So I stepped up and saw how they lay. It didn't feel right to me. They were lovers, whether they admitted it publicly. Stepping into the gap that remained, I uncrossed Gary's arm and laid it straight down. He was feeling stiff, and it made my lip tremble. Leaning over, I took Paula's hand and lowered it over the top of Gary's. Then I entwined their fingers, so they would always be together.

When I stepped back, the same men who moved the firewood pushed it back into place, while I took a deep breath.

"Today, we lost friends," I called softly. "Paula and Gary were lovers. They survived this place and found love and comfort in one another. Today they were taken from us, in a ruthless act of violence. But we will not be angry. Today we will mourn. Today we will remember that when we wake up from here, we will see them again. And we will worry about tomorrow, when the sun rises."

I felt a small prod and turned as Claire handed me a lit torch. I took it and sighed, before stepping forward. I pressed the torch to the side of the pyre until it lit. Then I moved around the pyre and did it in several more spots to ensure it lit properly. Under the light of the flames, the couple looked otherworldly. But the flames went higher and obscured them from view.

"Aaaamaaaaziing graaaaace. How sweeeet the soooound."

I turned to the owner of the voice, and saw Claire had stepped into the light of the fire. As the shadows flickered around her, we stood and honored the fallen. Only now did I let my tears fall.

"You keep them safe for me Edith. I want them back."

Chapter Three

I sipped what passed as beer in the lively tavern. Claire was set up in the corner where there was room. She held a guitar as she sang an uplifting song. My beautiful bard had several admirers. Mostly from visitors, but Claire had made a point to sit directly on my lap between sets. So now I was receiving several glares from those same people. I supposed it didn't help that I had my own table, and it was occupied by the rest of my beautiful women.

"I don't know if I should thank you or ask you to leave most nights," Amy, the serving girl who had been on the receiving end of an unwanted advance, said. She placed several bowls of a delicious stew down, with an extra for Claire when she finished this next song. "We get visitors from all parts on days when she sings. But they come in and see you and they all get their hackles up."

"Is it really that big of a problem?" I asked. I wasn't in the business of stepping on toes, I was here for Claire and no other reason.

"Not really big," she shook her head. "But this last week, there's been this one guy who's been making people uncomfortable." I looked at her for a moment and she nodded. "Skinny dude, far back corner. He's been poking around, asking weird questions, before leaving town and coming back,"

"Shit," I sighed and quickly looked around, taking note of the guy. He was staring at Claire, before seeming to write something down on a small notebook. "Amy, from now on, any more characters like this, you let me know."

She looked concerned for a moment, "Is it bad?"

"Could be a spy," I said softly. "Don't say anything and treat him how you always have."

I put the thought of him out of my mind as applause rang out. Claire beamed wildly as she put down the guitar. She bowed graciously, before practically skipping over to me.

"How was it?" She asked.

"You were great," I grinned as she sat on my lap. "But you're not doing me any favours."

Claire glanced around and saw several heads suddenly look away. She just shrugged. "They'll get over it."

She spent a few minutes eating the stew. The cook in the kitchen was a new addition. There were still the cooks in the main kitchen that fed everyone in town. But for a little extra, usually in the way of bartering, you could get something more personal at the tavern. Not to mention, entertainment.

"I'll be right back," Corrine said suddenly.

I glanced over as she darted out the door. "She's fine," Claire reassured me as I shifted on my seat. "You know Cerb and the pack are out there."

"I still worry. Cerb is only good to a point. A crossbow can kill before the shooter gets taken down," I murmured, thinking about my near death experiences.

I continued with my meal, while Claire hummed a tune that made me smile. I knew she was doing it on purpose and she didn't care that I knew. It's what makes her so popular around here. Being the only bard makes her personable and I knew deep down that while I was in charge... It was only because she said so. We'd built this place from a warehouse filled with parts. And while I'm sure I could have managed it, Claire was out organising work crews and donations. In the end, we had a semi-stable local economy. All because of her.

"You've got that look," Claire told me, without bothering to turn her head.

"Which look?"

"The look where you're going to tell me how much you love me."

A series of small awws went up around the table and Claire waved them all down. "He does the same with all of you. I just happen to be on his lap right now."

Now I had a collection of doe eyed women staring at me. Including Corrine, who had snuck back to the table without issue.

"You know I love all of you," I smiled. "How I got as lucky as I am, I have no idea. But whatever waits for us outside this simulation. It's going to have a big bedroom, and a lot of little ones." Corrine, Polly, Maiya, Henrietta and even Claire on my lap all tensed at once. I looked at each of their shocked expressions and frowned. "What?"

"We... Weren't really sure," Claire said, leaning into my chest for a soft kiss.

"What?" I growled. "Did you really think that after all this, I was just going to wake up and shack up with someone else?"

"That, or with just one of us," Henrietta smiled nervously, before glancing at Claire.

"Edith, is there any reason outside this simulation that would prevent me having multiple wives?"

"No, Mr Ryan. No formal government exists, and if it did, you would be the senior member."

I watched my wives take a moment and I realised Edith had spoken to all of them at once. "You mentioned that before. What was my position before this?"

"You worked for a local government. When the virus hit, your township was one of the last to fall. Many of the people in this simulation are part of your electorate."

"Well shit," I mumbled, before glancing around. "Do I have a family? Friends?"

"Mr Ryan," Edith said slowly. "The only family you have left, are those closest to you now."

"It's okay," Claire said as the others gathered closer to us. "None of us hold it against you for being a politician."

I snorted and shook my head. "Hurry up and finish your meals. I want an early night."

"Debauchery, debauchery, debauchery," Polly started chanting as she crossed her fingers.

We all had a laugh while she smiled widely. Though she stopped when Claire raised an eyebrow at her. We finished up our meals, before Claire got up and played another quick set. It was intentional to let our stomachs settle. But Polly was practically vibrating by the time Claire waved goodbye to her fans. Arm in arm, we all headed for the showers. The ladies stuffed me into a private stall, while they bathed communally. The only explanation I got was to wait. So after quickly scrubbing myself down, drying then dressing, I made my way back to the room.

Inside I found most of the ladies arranged on the bed. All except Polly, who was sitting on a chair. Her legs had been tied open with each of her ankles to the arm rest. Her elbows had been tucked under her knees and tied in place as well. She stared at me with a sad expression, as she clutched a feather in one hand, and drooled through a ball gag.

"What has Claire done to you?" I asked, giving her a smile.

She wriggled, trying to sit up as I approached, but wasn't having a lot of luck.

"She's dessert," Claire called.

"Dessert huh?" I asked as Polly made a soft keening sound that told me she definitely wanted to be the main course. "What's with the feather?"