History Lesson

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And he's never mentioned anyone, ever, to me. No one, since Olivia," Beca said gently. "Then suddenly, well, starting about a year ago, when he calls me, or I call him, it's Jenny this and Jenny that...

"Do you see?" she asked. "Maybe... love isn't about gender. Maybe it's about the person. Ask yourself, what do you feel when you're with him?"

Jenny couldn't say anything.

"Well." Beca swiped at her cheeks, and opened the car door. "I can see I've given you a few things to think about." She grinned ruefully. "I didn't ever mean to upset you. I meant it when I said I'd never intentionally do anything to hurt you.

"If you want to talk some more, please come find me." She gave Jenny one more smile as she got out of the truck and started to unload the car.

Jenny just sat there, half stunned, half scared, and half... something else. Maybe just a tiny bit fluttery inside? And the fact that this was more than a whole person's worth of feelings was not lost on her.

She did have quite a lot to think about, she realized, as she went to help Beca with the groceries.

><><><><><

While Beca and Jenny were shopping, I was half-heartedly doing some research on a new paper I was working on, but at the moment I had my chair pushed back and was staring out the window, thinking about... well, my train of thought disappeared when Linnet popped into the room and announced that Coral was asleep. Then she jumped into my lap.

"Oof!" I complained.

"Oh, Uncle. I'm not heavy at all," she grinned at me.

"No, I suppose you're not. But I believe 'oof' is what you are supposed to say in times like this. It may be a rule."

"Uncle Ieuan, you're very silly. But I'm glad you're not so sad all the time."

I was nonplussed. "Oh, that's... good?"

"Yes, it is," Linnet stated firmly. "You used to be, and now you're not so much."

"Ah, well," I replied, rather cleverly, I thought.

Linnet continued, "I know why, too. It's Jenny. You were sad before you met her, and now you have her in your life, you're better. Well, a little bit, anyway," this last with a shy glance.

I gaped at her, then closed my mouth firmly. I was definitely losing control of this conversation. Not that I'd even been IN control of it, I was beginning to suspect.

"Linnet, that's..." I had been about to say that it was none of her business, but what came out instead was, "That's... actually very perceptive of you, young lady." I mused.

Linnet grinned at me.

"But, fy nith ffefryn, you know we're just friends, right?"

This time, she did give me a full-on, no-holds-barred, eye roll. "Men," she groaned with theatrical exasperation.

I had to laugh. "Men, is it? What on earth d'ye know about men? Please don't answer that," I added belatedly.

She snuggled in a little tighter. "I'm your only niece, Uncle Ieuan. And I know I'm only twelve. But I can tell Jenny likes you. I know she likes girls. Yes, I know about all that stuff, they have to teach it in school now, but I'm not stupid, Uncle Ieuan. I can see how she looks at you. Perhaps she's just a little confused or scared. So if she won't say anything, and you don't say anything, you two will just wander around each other all goo-goo eyed and I'll never have any cousins!"

I jerked in the chair. Linnet looked at me questioningly, and then realized what she'd just said. "Oh, Uncle Yaya, I'm sorry!" She wrapped her arms around my neck and started to cry. "I didn't mean..."

"Shh, shh, it's all right, my girl," I soothed, as I hugged her, gently stroking her back. "I know you didn't mean it like that. I continued to calm her, and when her tears started to taper off, I said, "Goo-goo eyed, is it?" She started to giggle through her sniffles. I gave her a smile and a kiss on the temple. I gently put a finger under her chin and turned her head so I could look at her.

Softly, I said, "You know you're far too clever for your own good, don't you? But thank you." I hugged her til she squeaked, then shooed her off my lap. "Off with you now, I have work to do!" I huffed with ersatz gruffness.

"Love you, Uncle Ieuan," Linnet said as she scampered off.

"Love you too, little bird," I smiled, watching her go. Once she was out of sight, my smile faded to something more contemplative.

><><><><><

After Beca and Jenny returned, and the groceries were stored away, Jenny came to find me.

"Oh, there you are," I said. Observant, I was.

"Tis I," she did a dramatic swoon, the back of her hand to her forehead. I laughed.

She smiled and sat down. "I really like your sister, Ieuan. She's very much like you in some ways. But much cleverer."

"Oh no," I groaned. "Not you too!"

Ignoring me, she continued. "I've been chatting with her, and she... she has helped me to understand some things."

"Hmm. Jenny, fy annwyl un, I think we may be the victims of an insidious plot."

"Huh?"

"I think I've just been having the same chat with my sneaky NIECE," I said, finishing loudly at the end.

A giggle disappeared down the hall.

"So, please hold that thought for just a little while, would you? I have a reason."

"Okay?"

"Instead... instead... shit." I took a deep breath. "Jenny Albright, would you go to dinner with me this evening?"

"You mean... like, a date?"

"Yes. I mean, exactly like a date."

A wide smile slowly spread across her face. "Yes, Ieuan, I would."

><><><><><

It wasn't hard to convince Beca and Linnet to watch Coral for the evening. But first, they were recruited to help Jenny prepare, so Hank and I had baby duty.

I gazed at her, frankly.

She gazed back, grasping at her toes.

"Well, my girl, what do you think about all this?" I asked.

Coral gave a little squeal.

"Oh? That good?"

She giggled.

><><><><><

Linnet appeared at the entrance of the hallway that led back to the bedrooms. She gestured grandly.

"May I introduce your companion for the evening, Miss Jenny Albright!"

I stood, and a vision descended.

"Blimey," I mumbled.

Linnet whispered to Jenny, "That means he likes it. He's gobsmacked, he is."

I nodded slowly. "Yes, I am. Jenny, you are... spectacular."

Linnet looked from me to Jenny, and then from Jenny back to me.

"Oh, come along!" she grabbed Jenny's hand and pulled her over to where I stood.

"I'll just take you, little cousin, and be out of your way."

Picking up Coral, she vanished down the hall.

It wasn't lost on me; what she had called Coral.

But I couldn't take my eyes off Jenny. Her hair was down, and it shone in the lamplight. She wore a black cocktail dress that I don't recall seeing before, but it was lovely. Sleeves to her elbows, and a demure 'V' neck that showed a hint of cleavage. It came down to just above her knees, complementing her figure. Low heels helped accentuate her calves. She did a twirl, giggling.

"Do you really like it, Ieuan?" she asked shyly.

As I looked at her, an unexpected feeling of terrible sadness came over me.

"Jenny, when I look at you... you're so beautiful, inside and out, and my heart is breaking. I know we're supposed to be going out, and I know I called it a date, but I also know you'll never see me as more than a friend." I looked at her in misery. "I'm sorry, I don't think I can be friends with you anymore; it hurts too much. I should never have let it go on this long. It wasn't fair to you, and I'm so sorry."

Jenny looked stricken. "What? Ieuan, what are you talking about?"

I took her hands in mine. "Simple, really. You see, I've fallen in love with you. After Olivia, I didn't think I'd ever feel that way again. I know you can never feel the same way, and it's killing me." I started to turn.

"Damn it Ieuan! Stop!" Jenny cried. "You don't get to drop a bomb like that on me and then just walk away!" Tears were streaming down her face as I turned back to her.

"Now, why would you think that I can't love you back?" she asked, ignoring her tears.

I entirely missed the actual point of what she had said. "Well, Sheila said you thought of me as a surrogate father figure. Not very romantic, is it?"

Jenny exploded, "You're walking away from us based on something SHEILA said? She HATED our friendship! She took every chance to drive wedges between us! And you've let her, you idiot!" She was sobbing now.

I looked at her in shock as she continued, more softly. "Ieuan, I never said any such thing! I definitely do not think of you as a father figure." She looked down, then back up at me, eyes full of... could it be?

My legs went all wonky, and I half-sat, half-fell onto the sofa. "Oh my God, I AM an idiot. That feckin' bitch. Have I let her ruin us?" I felt tears of my own now.

Jenny sat beside me and caressed my face. "No, you haven't." She leaned over and gently kissed me on the lips. I stared at her, dumbstruck.

"I love you too, you dope."

"But..."

"Ieuan, did you know that your sister is very wise?"

I nodded. "Yes, she is that."

"She helped realize something." She looked down, remembering. "I think her exact words - well, almost exact - were; maybe love doesn't have to involve gender. Sometimes it's just about the person.

"When I met Sheila, she was strong and confident, and she just took charge. At the time, it was exactly what I needed. But then, after we moved here and I got pregnant... and then met you," she continued shyly, "I started to see that she was also jealous and controlling and obviously vindictive. Traits that I really, really don't like."

"And while you were becoming my best friend, I think you showed me what a relationship could be. Because of what's in here." She put her hand over my heart.

"Anyway, I thought that because I liked girls, I had to date girls. I tried, and it was just... well, they were perfectly nice, except for that last one, but every damn time, I realized that I was comparing them to you."

She laughed weakly. "But it still took Beca pulling the wool from my eyes to realize why I was doing that." And then she said it again. Words that made my heart soar. "I love you, Ieuan Davies. With all my heart."

I smiled at her. "It only took a twelve-year-old to sort me out. Linnet is going to be just as wise as her mother, I think. I love you, Jenny Albright."

And we heard a cheer from the hallway. We laughed, and then she grabbed my hands. "Shall we go have that dinner?"

><><><><><

It was the most wonderful week. We explored the town, ate too much turkey, went up into the city to visit museums and monuments, and took Linnet to see The Lion King. She was enthralled.

Starting this new stage of our relationship, with Beca and Linnet there to share in it, felt... right. They had been so instrumental in helping us break down our self-imposed barriers... we could never repay that. By the end of their visit, I think Jenny loved Beca and Linnet nearly as much as I did. When they finally had to leave, there were lots of tears, and hugs, and promises of future visits. I was certain those would be kept.

Even poor Hank moped around for a few days after they left.

The was only one bright side to my sister and niece leaving us. We were alone. The evening after we got home from the airport, however, we were both nervous. We dawdled over putting Coral to bed, then I decided that Hank needed one last walk, and Jenny realized the dishes hadn't been put away from breakfast.

Realizing what we were doing, what we were avoiding, I finally walked up behind her as she was putting silverware in the drawer. I slid my hands around her, clasping them loosely across her midsection, while gently resting my face alongside hers.

As we gazed at each other's reflections in the kitchen window, I could feel her trembling.

Aghast, I hugged her a little tighter. "Hey, it's okay, it's just me!"

She laughed, sniffling. "I know, I'm being silly. I trust that you will never hurt me. It's just... I've only been with a man that one time, and it wasn't... the best experience."

"Well, you're right that I will never intentionally do anything to cause you harm. You and Coral... well, and Beca and Linnet... are my whole world. And I can wait as long as you need."

"Thank you. I would like to sleep with you, in the same bed. Can you just hold me? Like this? I want to be close to you," she blushed.

"I can do that." I went to her room, grabbed the baby monitor, and set it on the nightstand. She smiled at me very tenderly, then. "Ieuan, you have no idea what it means that you care so much about Coraline. You really do love her, don't you?"

"Of course. Since the moment I saw her," I caressed the side of her face. "Come to bed?"

We both went to our usual bathrooms to wash up and brush our teeth. I got back before she did, and slipped under the covers, wearing a T-shirt and boxers. I should have been tired, but... thinking about sharing a bed with Jenny, even if it was just to sleep, after so long...

And then she shyly entered the room. She had on a very thin T-shirt and a pair of boy shorts like the ones I'd seen her wear once before. She saw me staring, and blushed.

"Be good, Ieuan," she smirked

"Jenny... wow, you're so... I can't describe it. An incredible combination of sexy and innocent. So beautiful."

I turned back the covers for her, and she slid in next to me. I put an arm around her, and she turned on her side and laid her head on my chest.

"I love you," she sighed.

Amazingly, surprisingly, we both fell quickly asleep.

><><><><><

Chapter 15

December

The weeks leading up to Christmas were busy. Jenny and I continued to share a bed, but otherwise, we took the physical side of our burgeoning relationship very slowly.

She liked to kiss, which I was happy to do with her, and we were never far apart. We would share a touch, or a caress, snuggle together, hold hands... it was as though a veil had been lifted. Olivia would always be a part of me but I knew she'd be happy for me now.

I sat out on the deck one evening and had a little chat with her. Livvie, my love, I promise you will always be part of my heart. I know that 'forever' was shorter than we hoped. When you and our daughter left me alone, I was so broken, I didn't know how I was going to carry on without you. But since I found Jenny... I think maybe I'll be okay again. She saved me, Livvie. And I love her. Please be happy for me?

I went into my office and very deliberately removed the band from my left hand and placed it on my desk, in front of her picture. Touching my finger briefly to the glass, I thought I felt something brush my cheek.

><><><><><

I was working on a special project that I hoped to have completed before the holiday. It was touch-and-go, and in the end, I wasn't completely successful. So it was with mixed feelings that I told Jenny a little white lie the Monday before Christmas.

After we finished breakfast, I kissed Coral and said to Jenny, "Sweetheart, I will probably be a little late this evening. There's a mandatory department meeting - I guess the Dean wants to go over holiday plans before everyone heads out on vacation."

"Okay, babe, that's fine... let me know when you're on your way and I'll make you a peanut butter sandwich," she teased.

I rolled my eyes but embraced her firmly and kissed her even more firmly.

"Wow," she panted when I let her go. "Will there be more of that later?" she grinned, arching an eyebrow at me.

"I certainly hope so," I returned, and reaching down, gave her butt a pat. "If you're good," I added, and started to head out the door when she grabbed my hand. My left hand.

"Ieuan?" She looked at me, eyes wide. "Where's your ring?" Whispering.

"Olivia's ring, you mean?" I cupped her face in my hands. "It was time to put it away."

I kissed her very tenderly, and she clung to me. I finally had to plead that I was going to be late before I could get out the door.

><><><><><

It was about half past seven when I opened the door and called, "Jenny? I'm back."

"Hi, honey, how was your... meeting..." she said as she came into view, and then her mouth dropped open as I stepped to the side, revealing the figure behind me.

"Daddy?" she whispered.

The older gentleman behind me was momentarily speechless. Finally, he opened his arms and began to stutter brokenly, "I'm sorry, Jenny, so sorry... can you forgive a foolish old man?"

She launched herself into his arms, and I quietly snuck away, finding Coral in her high chair in the kitchen. She smiled when she saw me, showing all four of her teeth, and waved her arms.

I scooped her up. "Have you been a good girl for mummy?" I asked.

"Da!" she announced, and I gaped at her.

"Say that again?"

"Da!" she repeated.

Well, this was a good day for dads, I thought. Then took a deep breath, as I realized what I had just called myself. But before I could ponder further, Jenny and her father came into the kitchen.

She had one arm wrapped around him as she said, "Daddy, this is your granddaughter, Coraline."

I had spent no small amount of time tracking down the Albrights, and even more convincing them of who I was and what I was asking for. But I had never mentioned Coral. That was Jenny's to tell.

But now, here he was, reunited with his daughter, and meeting his granddaughter for the first time.

He looked, open-mouthed, at Jenny. "Gr... granddaughter?"

"Would you like to hold her?" I held Coral out, and he awkwardly took her in his arms.

"Grandpa," Jenny said to her daughter, while pointing at him.

Coral just looked at him, with the wide-eyed stare of children who aren't quite sure of the situation.

Looking at Coral, a look of awe on his face, he said to his daughter, "Jenny, the biggest regret in my life is that I didn't stand up to your mother. You're my little girl, and you always will be. I just hope you can forgive me and let me be part of your life.

"And Ieuan? Thank you for the kick in the ass and for bringing me here."

I just nodded, not trusting myself to speak.

><><><><><

All of us were at the table, and I'd brought out some wine for Jenny, and a beer for Harold. I had made some tea for myself.

Harold was still holding Coral loosely in his lap, and she was playing with, more than eating, some Cheerios on a plate. She had taken to him quickly.

"It's not really my business, since I've been such a terrible father but..." and he looked at me, "Are you Coral's... Are you and Jenny..." he couldn't finish.

I took Jenny's hand before she could speak.

"Mr. Albright... no sir, Jenny and I are not married, but I love her more than anything." I smiled at her. "I was hoping to speak to you about that."

Jenny's eyes widened and she gasped, staring at me. She understood what I was offering her. No one needed to know that I wasn't Coral's biological father. It. Did. Not. Matter.

"Mr. Albright, I know you don't know me very well yet, but... I would very much like to have your permission to marry your daughter."

He looked at me earnestly. Then he looked at Jenny, who was nodding eagerly, tears rolling down her face.

Then for some reason, he looked at Coral, who said simply, "Da!" and Jenny gasped laughter.

"Well," smiled Jenny's father. "I guess you have it. And I guess you better call me Harold."

Jenny embraced her father. "Thank you, Daddy," she murmured. Then she threw herself into my arms.

><><><><><

We called Beca and gave her the news the next day, and she whooped into the phone. I have never, ever heard my sister make such a noise. I heard Linnet shouting, "Mum, what's wrong?" in the background. I heard Beca say, "Your uncle has proposed to Jenny!" and then Linnet screamed nearly as loudly.