How Did It Ever Come To This

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Shit, Mum, can you talk Graeme, out of this? It's going to kill Dad."

With a shake of my head, I replied. "Gerard, all your father, has to do is apologise. It's that simple, then all it will cost him is court costs."

"He won't do it, Mum, I already tried to get him to do it."

"Then I'm sorry, but Graeme will take this all the way." Sipping my tea, I tried to change the subject, I could see the angst on Gerard's face, he was hurting. "How have you been?"

"Shit actually. Seeing Dad the way he is, it's bloody heart breaking."

"Honey, it's his own fault. I don't know what else to say. I can't talk to him, he refuses to even acknowledge my presence. All those wonderful years, flushed down the bloody toilet because I wanted a job."

"Is that what this is really about, Mum?"

"Gerry, we were fine, our marriage was wonderful, right up until I went back to work. Then it was boom, the world exploded."

"It just doesn't make sense, Mum. At least tell me you won't be giving evidence against him."

"Sorry Son, but I was that close to suing him myself. He carried out a campaign of terror, he turned you and Izzy against me, his parents, our friends. I am not going to lie in a court of law for him."

I can't explain why James lost the plot, but it did cost him. The court case was short. I did get called as a witness. Looking out of the dock at James was hard, he looked defeated, unshaven, scruffy, he looked like he hadn't slept for a week.

Sitting beside him were his parents, Gerard, and Izzy. Gerard apologised, but said he was going to sit with his father for support. Izzy still refused to talk to me. That broke my heart; she and I had been so close. She was always a Daddy's girl, but, our relationship was so strong, and I supported her choices as a young woman, even when her father wasn't quite so supportive.

When I denied all his allegations, and Graeme produced polygraph tests substantiating our positions. James was in deep water, and looking into his eyes, I could see he knew it.

From there on, it was all down hill. The judge had on alternative but to find in Graeme's favour. The judge didn't enforce the million dollar payout, because Graeme was unable to prove the value of loss of reputation, or the impact on the business, but the four hundred thousand was almost going to break him.

As we walked out, Gerard walked up and gave me a huge hug. "I'm sorry, Mum."

"Not as sorry as I am. All this drama, for what? I still don't know. I hope one day he will try to explain it to me."

Outside, I was shaking hands with Amanda when Izzy walked up behind me. I saw Amanda's eye look past me, and I knew.

"Hello, Izzy." I opened my arms and she slid into my hug. "What's going on, Mum? God, Dad, is a wreck."

"Yes, he looks terrible all right. I hope now that this is over, he can pick himself up."

"I don't think so, Mum. He is so bitter."

"I'm sorry, Izzy, but none of this is my fault. I can't explain why he went off the deep end, but. I do hope he can get past it."

That night, Izzy and Gerard both came home and they stayed the night. We had a wonderful chat and finally managed to catch up on their lives.

James, well, he never really managed to drag himself out from under his mountain of bitterness he had built up.

The kids made him do counselling, he did several months of counselling, therapy, anger management. All Court ordered. Now, he's a bitter old man, full of nothing but vitriolic shit. He has managed to alienate almost everybody. He lives alone, cut off from friends, family, and reality.

It is so sad to see what was once a wonderful vibrant man cut down by jealousy and insecurities.

Me, well, I did manage to find a handsome man, a few years younger than myself, who actually enjoyed my company. A wonderful caring kind guy who enjoys sex, and believe me, I had a lot to catch up on. Today, we are married. I still live in our old home. Izzy and Gerard, have been able to get past the wall of lies their father threw in their faces.

We now have a relationship, that is closer than ever.

Years later, James, has never been able to explain what it was all about. Sad really.