How to do Nude Drawing and Modeling

Story Info
A short guide on how to do nude life drawing and modeling.
3.1k words
4.26
10.6k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Probus888
Probus888
94 Followers

All characters are over the age of 18. Well over in my case! Any similarities to real persons, living or dead, actual events, locales or organizations is purely coincidental and not intended by the author.

Thank for reading and I hope you liked this guide. Please do leave a comment as I read all of them and take them all onboard.

***

I have written a number of stories both here on Literotica and elsewhere. It is said by many authors that their stories are somewhat autobiographical. Not in my case they're not! I prefer to use my imagination and I guess influences from other books I've read. So I've never been a gangster, a space explorer or an undercover agent let alone a Riviera gigolo and jewel thief. I have never come up across Lovecraftian style eldritch monsters that would make the strongest minds gibber with insanity. The most I can say about my works being autobiographical is that I sometimes use aspects of my character and personality in them. Sadly, usually the more negative side. Many of my male characters are loners and I have noticed in my writing that the more self-centered characters tend to come out ahead more. Bad guys finish first? That seems to be the way of the world but I don't know what that says about my core beliefs.

However, this is going to be an autobiographical look and I have never shared much about myself in the past. So here goes. Deep breath. I go to life drawing classes and I am also a nude life model.

This is going to be a serious look (pun intended!) at nude life drawing from both sides, that of the artist and the model. It is not going to be a Literotica tale of how the artists all get to fuck the nude model during the session in some kind of bacchanalian orgy. One day I might write a story based on that but that is all it would be -- an imaginative fantasy -- as that does not happen. So if that's what you're looking for then move on.

I am fortunate to live in a part of the world where there are a lot of creative people. I don't know why that is but I guess like-minded people tend to attract other like-minded people. Where I live is several miles outside of a major city noted for its global cultural heritage and we also have a pleasant local microclimate which helps. There are a lot of art studios with people working in different mediums; ceramics, textiles, metalwork as well as painting.

There are a number of life drawing classes nearby and they are often on the lookout for new people to draw as they can get fed up of drawing or painting the same bunch of people. If you're interested, why not Google life drawing in your area to see if there is anything going?

ARTIST'S PERSPECTIVE.

What to expect if you're going to a life drawing class for the first time? All groups are different, of course, but they tend to share similar characteristics. You will be made welcome. It doesn't matter how good you are or if you haven't picked up a pencil since school. Bring paper and something to draw with. I find a sketchbook with a hard back cover helps as you can then rest it on your knee if necessary and it protects your drawing. The pencils I like are 4B, 6B or even 8B as they are nice and soft. Bring an eraser and sharpener. However, I prefer to work with charcoal sticks as they give more fluidity and are brilliant for a quick sketch. I also like and often use my Conte a Paris 'Sanguine' pencil which makes a rusty colored line which is easily blended and makes almost any drawing look like an Italian Renaissance masterpiece! Be careful as both charcoal and Sanguine smudge really easily. When I get home I lightly spray fixative or, more cheaply, hair spray onto my sketch to prevent future smudging. In the group you will sometimes find more experienced artists using watercolors or pastels but I would leave that until you feel more experienced and confident with color.

So, onto the group itself. They can be of any size but often around a dozen or more depending on venue etc. There is generally a mix of genders, ages and skill levels. Both men and women go and the ages range from art students or young people in their twenties up to people in their eighties. Groups held during the day tend to attract an older set as younger people are at work whereas it is more diverse of an evening. The skills range from very amateurish among the beginners up to some seriously talented people, especially among those who have been art teachers!

Okay, so you've walked into the room. Introduce yourself to the organizer or tutor and say hello. You'll probably find some of the regulars already set up at their easels or desks. If it is your first time, do not worry if you are rubbish. Nobody is going to laugh or make negative comments. If you ask for advice during the break, they will mostly be happy to assist. You wouldn't expect to pick up a guitar or saxophone and immediately be as good as a professional musician and it is the same with art. Don't beat yourself up but have fun and enjoy yourself. By the way, there are lots of helpful videos on YouTube where artists give useful tips.

So you've set yourself up at your table. Pencils all sharpened and ready for action. You will find it is a studious atmosphere. Often there is light classical music playing in the background. Then the evening's life model enters the room from where they have been changing. It could be anyone. Depending upon current availability most groups like to use a mix of male or female models. So, male or female, young or old, skinny or chubbier, good looking or average. It doesn't matter. They are there for you to draw them. Once ready, they will take off their bathrobe and pose.

Usually, the session starts off with several shorter poses of three or five minute duration. These are more fluid poses to loosen up your hand. You won't draw much detail during these as they are for you to get the attitude, the shape, and the feel of the model. Some people draw only a part of the model -- like the torso for example -- rather than the whole body. These are dynamic, action-packed poses which can't be held too long. After a set of short poses, there are often some longer ones of ten to fifteen minutes each. The model may be standing or leaning against something or sitting. There is usually some fluidity in their stance. It all depends. You can capture the form of the model and maybe a little detail.

After that, there is often a break for a cup of coffee and you can have a look at the other artists' work. They will be glad to show you and if you ask for suggestions from the better artists they will be very happy to be consulted and pass on tips. Don't forget, everyone has their own style and you can't copy everyone's. Find your own style, whether you are a quicker drawer with looser, more fluid strokes that get the essence of the subject or whether you have a more detailed, graceful style. Remember, it's your interpretation of what you see before you. The model will have put their bathrobe on and usually wants to have a look and see what everyone makes of them!

After refreshments, there is then one long pose of thirty to forty-five minutes or so in length. This time, the model will be sitting or recumbent and this long set allows you to get in more detail. After that, time to pack up, say your good-byes and leave. And hopefully you have enjoyed your session and gotten something out of it.

Remember, it is all about observation. That is the crucial aspect. Draw what you see, not what you think should be there. Have a good look at the model's pose before committing pencil to paper. Is there significant foreshortening? I hate foreshortening, myself. Have you got the proportions right? There are many online tutorials on proportions of the face and body so I won't cover that. As you work, try to get shadowing so your drawing looks three dimensional. The model does not mind you looking at them -- that is what they are there for. As a hint, look at the model as much as possible, not your paper before you.

You may think it is sexy being able to openly look at another nude human in the flesh. It so isn't! Yes, they are completely naked apart maybe from some jewelry but even if they are really attractive it isn't erotic at all. At some point, you will be drawing their breasts if a woman is modeling as well as their genitals. You will be observing and drawing what is usually clothed. The model is absolutely fine with that. For the purposes of art, it is no more than another part of their anatomy like an arm or leg.

Don't forget, you are so busy trying to create the best drawing you can by capturing their form, hair, perspective, shadows and everything you want to include. It's as erotically charged as drawing a vase of flowers or a pitcher. But it is so much harder drawing people as everybody knows what a person looks like so if you get it wrong, it does look off-kilter.

Finally, a couple of definite no-nos. Obviously, you cannot touch the model or take photographs of him or her. Also, during the time the actual drawings are being made, people are quiet as they are concentrating so hard so don't waste time talking. That's what the break is for!

If this will be your first time at a class I hope you will enjoy it and keep going. Practice makes perfect and you will improve. When I look back on my earliest life drawings, I feel embarrassed.

MODEL'S PERSPECTIVE.

Or life on the other side of the easel. Before applying to be a life model, I would suggest you go along first to a life drawing group to get a feel for what is likely to be required. All groups differ but it will give you a good idea of what it's all about.

As I said earlier, it does not matter who you are. Whether you are male or female, young or old, chubbier or skinnier, attractive or homely, hairy or smooth. All you have to do is be prepared to pose your body completely naked before strangers. Occasionally, you may see somebody you know elsewhere at a life drawing session but they will be professional about it.

Before applying, make sure you can actually hold a pose. Not everyone can. I have friends who have interesting bodies but cannot sit still for even a minute so would be useless in this context. Can you stand or sit completely still for forty-five minutes or so? However, personally I find it is the shorter, more dynamic poses that are the most challenging. Before I initially applied, I practiced holding several poses for several minutes at home beforehand to make sure I could do them and hold them.

Being a man, some of my favorite shorter poses are a pugilistic stance like an old-time bare-knuckle fighter and Rodin's famous sculpture 'The Thinker'. The artists want to see dynamism so twist your body, or hold your arms in the air, or try standing on one hip. That kind of thing. If you run out of ideas they will be most happy to provide suggestions! It goes without saying that you don't want to put your back out or anything so nothing too extreme. Not being in the first flush of youth myself I could not, for example, do more extreme yoga positions or anything as my spine is no longer that flexible these days.

Life modeling is only ever going to be an ad-hoc, part time gig that you do as much for enjoyment as well as to make a bit of extra money. To find work, speak to any artists you know who may be on the look out for a new model, Google art groups in your area and email the organizer, maybe see if you can advertise in any local art college or university etc. Don't forget, many groups may only meet once a month or less and may be booked up for some time ahead so don't be disheartened if you don't hear anything for a while.

So your first time as a nude life model. What's important before you even attend? Reliability. I cannot emphasize that enough. Confirm with the organizer that you'll be there and make sure you get there early to introduce yourself and get changed so the session can start on time. If you're a no-show, you'll never get booked again. If something disastrous does occur and you genuinely cannot make it, let the organizer know in plenty of time so they can arrange another model to cover your slot.

At the venue you'll see the desks and easels set up in a rough semicircle around the posing area. There should be a room or at least a screened off area for you to undress and slip on your bathrobe. When you're ready, take in a deep breath and walk out. Here's a little tip. Art studio floors can be dirty and cold. Bring a pair of shower slippers with you. And another little tip is to have a light snack a couple of hours before starting as you don't want them hearing your stomach rumbling as you stand there. Personally, I usually have a couple of bananas as they're a slower release source of energy.

If it's your first time, of course you'll be nervous. That's natural. Nudity is still something of a taboo area in western culture. Now you're standing there with all those eyes on you. If they haven't already, the organizer or tutor will introduce you by your first name. Now it's the grand reveal. Don't overthink it. Simply take off your bathrobe and toss it onto a nearby chair like you would if you're home alone. There, now you're naked before a bunch of strangers which is an odd sensation at first so immediately step into your first pose. You'll be concentrating so hard on holding it that everything else, including your state of undress, is driven out of your mind. The very first time I acted as a life model, there were several young women among the group of artists. Yes, I knew they could and would look at and sketch my penis but that was fine, I didn't think about it.

Once you've done nude modeling a few times then standing naked before strangers becomes just another day at the office. However, I try to keep things fresh and think up fresh poses for the group especially if I have been to that venue before so they don't get bored of seeing the same stale old stuff time after time.

By the way, ensure that your space is warm enough. Heaters should be provided. The artists don't want to sketch you shivering or with goosebumps.

Okay, so you hold your pose, remembering to hold position and keep totally still. You'll notice the group busily sketching away. The organizer will announce when time's up so have a little stretch and then go into your next position. Make sure you vary them, e.g. a standing pose, followed by sitting. If you were facing one side of the room, turn around so everyone gets a front or back view.

After the shorter, action-packed poses there is usually a few of ten to fifteen minutes where you can take a more relaxed stance but these also tend to be somewhat fluid. After that is a break where you can view what the artists have drawn and have a chat and drink. The artists are usually very happy and proud if you take photographs of their work, especially if you are complimentary.

Finally, comes the long pose which is almost always sitting in a chair or maybe recumbent. Cushions will be provided. One of my favorite longer poses to take is based on the classical sculpture 'The Dying Gaul'. But it's whatever is wanted or needed. Then it's time to get paid, get dressed and go home. And that's it. You can now boast that you're an artist's model. And who knows? One day a painting based on an artist's sketch of you may appear in a gallery. Immortalized in oils to be discussed by critics for decades to come!

A couple of tips. During the session, you might well get an itch and want to scratch it. If you can, just ignore it and it will eventually go away. If you do need to move, like if an arm or leg has gone to sleep, memorize your current posture, apologize to the group and as quickly as possible go back into the exact same position as before.

During the longer session, what do you think about? Staying still for a long period is something we don't do so well in modern western culture with its myriad distractions. Talking with other life models, some meditate, some think mundane thoughts like what to cook for dinner while I can kind of zone out. I don't know if that's meditating but I focus on an object in sight and go blank. Sometimes I think of my stories for Literotica as well. If there is a clock in the room, don't look at it as the minute hand seems to barely move if you do!

Do you get people attending for the wrong reasons? Just to ogle a nude person? Never in my experience. If that's what they want they can see a lot more for free on the internet. Everyone going is a serious minded artist whatever their skill level whether they are a novice newcomer or a semi-professional. So, if you do try your hand at nude life modeling then good luck. You can find it very liberating and life affirming and it helps you boost your body confidence and lose any inhibitions. Also, you now know what the model is going through the next time you draw one.

If you are considering being a life model or have been one in the past, I would like to hear from you.

Probus888
Probus888
94 Followers