I, Candi Ch. 26: Gun Shy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

From the sidewalk she heard a horn toot at her. Looking back she found another surprise. It was her Father-in-law "Joe".

Waving him into the drive she met him with a hug through the window. Joe had already noticed Gunner under the hood.

"What's this?"

She eyes the couple through Joe's windshield as she kisses his cheek.

"I asked Gunner to fix Damian's Jeep. I thought it might be a nice surprise if it ran when he got home."

Joe shuts his car off and nudges her aside to open his door. Stepping out he shuts it before walking toward the man.

"How bad does it look?" Joe places his hands in his pockets as Candi hugs at his side.

Gunner grunts, "Needs about everything. Starter. Solenoid. Ground wires are chewed up. Fuel injectors. Spark plugs. Probably needs a new engine but we can start there and hope for the best."

"We can run uptown and buy what's needed. I'm Joe by the way. Candi's my daughter-in-law."

"Gunner. That's Hush." He nods.

Joe had recalled Kevin talking about Hush. He was right. The girl was a cutie pie.

"Feel like joining me?" Joe offers friendship.

Rising to crack his back Gunner snatches up a rag to wipe grease from his hands. After eying Hush he points at her to behave.

"Hush can keep me company. I'll make us some dinner if you like. Spaghetti makings in my cupboard I think."

Gunner sighs heavily, "Yeah. We can do that."

She then lowers her gaze,. Joe shakes Gunner's hand then waves at Hush. The girl bounces in her seat smiling. Fluttered fingers cease as soon as Gunner scowls at her. Joe noticed the change and kept his concern to himself. He would be careful what he said. for Candi's sake.

The two men hop into Joe's car and with a wave headed for the closest Auto Zone.

Candi immediately raced over to embrace Hush. The girls were giddy with closeness.

"God I've missed you. Are you alright? Seeing you hanging from that tree really scared me."

Hush quickly plants her hand over the excitable Blondes mouth. A weepy nod of "It's alright" made Candi fidget.

"I just don't know enough about you two. Is Gunner mean to you?"

Hush tilts her hand sideways waving it, "Yes and no. Sometimes." through motions. No words.

"I just get weird vibes around Gunner. Almost like he's afraid of the outside world."

Haunted by her words Hush nods with flaring eyes. She uses her hands to wave a pattern of fear along the air. She shivers crossing her arms. This confused Candi.

"Are you afraid of someone?"

She nods.

"Is Gunner afraid of someone?"

Another reluctant nod.

"Cops?"

A shrug sends Candi to a darker thought.

"Bad people?"

Hush nods then again plants a hand over Candi's lips. Signaling no more questions. She then rubs her tummy.

"Hungry?"

The short young woman nods feverishly then hugs Candi's arm leading her toward the house.

Candi would settle for what she managed to decipher.

For now.

The next five hours led to dining, short bouts of conversation with seldom answered questions. Gunner just wanted to work on the car. Joe merely studied the Man and tried to learn what he could. Truth or lie? Who knew.

By Dawn Gunner had fixed the Jeep. Fresh gasoline introduced He and Joe fired it up. The Jeep purred like a kitten.

In the living room they found Candi and Hush curled up in each others arms on the sectional. TV turned down at Infomercials.

"Let them sleep." Joe encourages Gunner.

Grinding his teeth Gunner agrees and they step out on to the back porch. Gunner lights a cigarette and offers one to Joe. Joe didn't smoke but he figured it might be an icebreaker.

Accepting a light they stood there listening to crickets. Every car that drove by made Gunner tense.

"So. What's your story Gunner?" Joe asked again, earlier he tried.

Gunner draws in a healthy inhale then pauses to blow the smoke away.

"Long story. Wars and nightmares. I'm just not real social."

"I can see that. I hope you don't think I'm prying too hard. I just need to know Candi is safe."

"All these cameras around I think that's a good bet." Gunner grunts.

"Noticed those did you?"

"I'm no dummy. Besides I spotted the Installation guys. Why the need for so much surveillance?"

"My son's idea. Protecting his Wife."

"She says he's her Master." Gunner squints.

"Yeah, well. I try to avoid saying how I really feel about that. My daughter-in-law is the sweetest kid alive. My son might ruin that."

"Their choice."

"I know. Still doesn't feel right. How about you and Hush? Similar lifestyle I hear."

Gunner exhales another puff of smoke, "Might say that."

"You seem a lot older than Hush."

"I am. Turned 45 a month ago. She's 20."

"Big difference in age."

"Been her Guardian a few years now. Picked her up at 17. Bad situation."

"Sorry to hear that. At least she's safe with a roof over her head."

Gunner agrees, "Hope your boy likes his Jeep. Your daughter-in-law loves him a lot."

"That she does. Listen. If you ever need to talk I'm around." Joe extends his hand in friendship.

Gunner looks at the hand then awkwardly accepts the offer.

"We need to get on home." Gunner timidly lowers his eyes.

Nodding Joe leads him back inside. Gunner carefully peels Hush from under Candi's arm and cradles her. Joe could tell Gunner cared for the girl more than he let on. His brash demeanor possibly a disguise. Opening the door for Gunner he watches the couple walk across the yard into the darkness.

Joe truthfully didn't know what to feel about the Man.

Time would tell.

"Joe?" He heard Candi weakly call out to him.

He closes the door locking up and joins her in the living room. Standing over her he melts in her gaze.

"Let's tuck you in." Joe did as Gunner had. Cradling her in his arms he carried her upstairs and put her to bed. He set her alarm knowing her schedule and kissed her on the forehead.

"Don't leave Joe." She whispered so very tired.

Shaking his head Joe disrobed and crawled into bed with her. She snuggled up and fell fast asleep.

Joe felt the shadows and looks out the window to his side.

He spotted a cigarettes fire burning in the darkness.

Gunner was on watch.

12