I Didn't Want to Believe

Story Info
Their marriage was unravelling. Can he save it?
10k words
3.82
68.7k
69
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a simple cheating wife tale, like many others on Literotica. This has a sting in the tale.

My wife Glenda and I had hit a rough patch, a very rough patch. We'd been married for almost five years and were approaching that dreaded number, thirty. When we had first become a couple, we couldn't keep our hands off each other. We spoke about our future. Having kids by the time we were thirty was one of the ones we both agreed on. We didn't want to be old parents, unable to run around with our kids.

I am a partner in a small, independent firm which my friend Michael and I had set up during our last eighteen months of university. Glenda never really understood what we did as I never discussed our business in any detail. She was happy, I was very well paid. We've never advertised. I was officially the office manager and if anyone like Glenda came to the office, I behaved like one. In truth, I was more a corporate spy. Firms came to us when they had problems whether they suspected competitors had hacked them or employees were selling their secrets. Michael was the hardware guy. Even I didn't understand where he found some of the stuff he had. As for me, Harry, I was a computer analysist who was able to infiltrate systems, decipher the codes and produce solutions. We now had thirty-five employees.

Glenda was a corporate lawyer for some firm who seemed to like buying other firms. She had been headhunted a couple of years ago and was very proud of the fact. Their plush offices were on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I think the furnishings in Glenda's office cost more than our house. Okay I exaggerate - slightly!

I had accompanied her to a number of their open nights, clients, guests where the idea was to be seen, chat with similar people and network. I played the dutiful spouse and even informed some, if they were nice, many weren't, what they could do in regard to the problems they had. I may have mentioned my firm.

There were three formal balls a year. One to commemorate their founding, summer and christmas ones.

About three months ago, I almost had to tie Glenda down to speak with her. She was seldom home before nine pm. She left before 7am. She wasn't happy with me.

I made sure she knew I wasn't happy with her. My tone caught her unawares. The anger highly noticeable.

"Glenda, why are you always so late? We agreed neither of us would work those stupid hours as it would destroy our marriage. What is going on?"

Glenda looked at me, her anger highly visible. I could see the cogs turning, she was going to obscure!

"Harry, it will only be for a short time. It's a big contract with multiple firms involved. Once it is done, we'll be back as usual."

I laughed, but there was no warmth. My voice rose as my anger came out, "Glenda, you don't think I can't tell when you're evading telling me something. Tell me what the fuck is going on. This was when we were going to have our children. Now we never discuss that. We never have a conversation, let alone sex. Are you fucking someone? If you want a divorce, just say so."

Her anger matched mine as she stormed away. I noticed she'd never answered any of my questions.

I spoke with Michael the next day. In our business knowledge was power. He could give me a few toys to use to find out what she was up to. I didn't want that as that showed no trust. I agonised over this for days. I didn't want to believe she would cheat on me.

Glenda worked all that weekend and the following week. We seldom spoke. I did find out she'd changed her access code on her phone and laptop. I was even more concerned where things were heading. I knew Michael was right, I had to spy on her for my own sanity. My imagination was everywhere.

I was surprised when Glenda turned up at our office at lunchtime on the Friday. Michael played he was so pleased to see her, it had been months. Glenda said she'd just been so busy, her social life had stopped. She had come by to take me for lunch. Michael laughed, "Harry, have lunch. If you need the afternoon don't come back. We'll see you on Monday."

Glenda blushed, "He'll be back. However nice it would be to have an afternoon together, I have work to finish."

Michael hugged her. As he did, he put something into her jacket. He told me later it was a locator.

Glenda and I went to a little café just down from my office. They did excellent lunches and she was paying. The small talk was forced. Eventually she came out with what she wanted.

"Harry, the summer ball is in three weeks. I have to confirm we are both going. It's important for my career."

I looked at her, "Why do you need me? Is this to show off your lover or lovers? You haven't deigned to speak to me for weeks. When I saw you, I thought you were here to give me the divorce papers."

Glenda looked shocked, "I told you, it's a big deal. I know we haven't been close for a while. I will make it up to you. I do love you. Yes, being seen with my husband will do my career no harm. They like happily married couples."

I laughed, "I'm not that good an actor!"

I thought a moment, "Your career. What happened to our children? Have you turned your back on having them? No need to tell me, I'm just the gullible fool."

Glenda looked down, "I still want children. It will only be a year or two later than we thought."

I looked at her, "Yeah, some words missing there like "with you." She looked up angry. I'd hit a nerve! "Fuck you Harry!" she shouted as she stormed off. I was left with the bill.

Michael wasn't surprised when I came back to the office. He closed the office door. "Harry what are you going to do? I've never seen you so down. As your friend, I'd say it would be better for you to know rather than let your imagination run riot. The decision is yours."

I nodded, "Michael, something is far wrong. You're right. I don't want to but I need to treat Glenda like a client and do what I need to find out what is going on."

Glenda spent the weekend working again. We ignored each other. When she came back on the Sunday evening, I had "inadvertently" left out our financial situation along with the downloaded divorce papers. She saw, as I intended, I was looking at how a divorce would impact us.

She came up to me. I was reading. "What's this?"

I looked at her and shook my head, "For an intelligent woman, you can be dim. You've been treating me like something you trod on. I've had enough of it. You've put your career over us. I'm looking at my options. If you tell me who you're fucking, we can be divorced in months not a year."

Glenda looked at me, her anger just under control, "Alright, as far as you're concerned, I've been a bitch but this contract is almost done. I don't want a divorce. I do love you."

I smiled, "Yet again you haven't denied fucking someone else! I won't be a cuckold. You can say you love me but your actions say otherwise." She stormed off. It was becoming the norm. I'd moved into the guest room. She hadn't tried to stop me. Not that we'd been intimate for some time.

I was surprised on Tuesday evening she came home at 7pm. I feigned having a heart attack with the shock. She grimaced, "Very funny Harry."

She went to change and when she came back down she asked to speak. I looked at her and nodded.

"Harry, I want you to come to the ball with me. It's very important to me you're with me. I do love you. I haven't been fucking anyone. I know you think all these late hours, weekend working is just a cover for me fucking around. You'll see at the ball there is nothing going on with anyone.

"With this new contract almost done, I'll be able to spend the time with you I should have done. We can rediscover each other."

I looked at her, she was imploring me to go with her. She was serious.

I spoke, my sadness evident, "Glenda, is there us? You've decided your career is more important than our having a family. You didn't speak to me about that, ask for my opinion. What about our other dreams? How many others are you changing without telling me? If my feelings, opinions don't matter why should I act the dutiful spouse for you?"

I could see she was trying to control her anger. She was breathing quickly. She looked at me, "If I were in your shoes, I probably would have the same concerns you have. I know I have been self-centred, a snarly bitch a lot of the times over the last eight weeks when it's been really, really manic. The months before setting it all up was a lot of strain as well but it's almost over.

"Once this is over, I have a very good chance to be promoted. My salary would mean, you could stop working and look after the children. You'd be a far better father than I would a mother."

It didn't escape me that yet again there was a word missing - "our children." I didn't bring it up.

She continued, "They like happily married couples. The evening would be a new beginning for us. We can dance, retire to our room. I can put on a sexy nightie and you can have me as often as you can manage. Please Harry."

I looked down. I didn't want her to know what I was thinking, "What a lying bitch!"

I sighed, "Okay but if I see anything I don't like, I'll leave and that will be the end of us."

For the first time in weeks, she hugged me, "Thank you. We'll dance up a storm and keep the residents awake with my screams of ecstasy."

She didn't follow up the hug with any suggestion we party here. We still weren't intimate before the event. I wasn't going to appear as though I was grovelling if I tried to instigate any romantic interlude.

Michael and I made plans. I had put a listen device into the lining of her handbag which went everywhere with her. It could record conversations. It was only slightly bigger than some muck you find in well used handbags. It downloaded to my computer each night she came home.

As it was formal, I had to wear a dinner suit with bow tie. The shirt had studs which Michael replaced with cameras. I never saw the difference. For a few days before the ball, whenever Glenda and I spoke, I bemoaned having it at the summer solstice as my hay fever was creating so many problems. Despite, drops, sprays and tablets or because of them my eyes were so dry, I had to wear my new glasses not my contacts. The glasses had six cameras in the frames covering almost two hundred and seventy degrees. They would transmit to the cloud continuously. They would also pick up the chatter I didn't. Michael laughed as I tried to find the cameras.

If nothing happened on the night, I would have a lot to review on the Monday. He had one further gadget for me. It looked like my watch but it had sensors to tell if I was being drugged or had any health issue. He'd alert me and come for me. He'd be at another hotel nearby.

When I arrived home, Glenda had our overnight bags ready. She seemed very happy. I put them in my car before heading for my shower. I used the main bathroom. Glenda was getting ready in the main bedroom ensuite.

I don't know the reaction she had envisaged but I do know I was stunned when she came down the stairs.

Glenda is 5'6", willowy, and moves with a lot of grace. Her blond hair was up, exposing her graceful neck. She was wearing drop diamond earrings and a matching necklace. Neither I had seen before. They looked expensive, very expensive. She was wearing a dark blue dress which caressed her body. Her large, firm breasts with big nipples which react when she's aroused were almost fully displayed. She must have tit tape on as they would fall out easily otherwise. She'd never gone out with me without wearing a bra. It was cut so low I could see her belly button. There was a slit on one side which allowed her long legs to be exposed as she walked. I saw the holdup stockings. I couldn't see any panties or pubic hair.

She was smiling at me. It wasn't a warm smile. Her eyes conveyed there was a reason behind this that I wasn't going to like.

I glared at her, "Aren't you a trifle underdressed for going out with me? Who's this for?"

She scowled at me, "You're so insecure I can't do anything right."

The car journey was done in complete silence. She checked us into the hotel and we headed to drop off our bags in the room. For a romantic evening I expected one bed not two. The inference wasn't lost on me. I spoke, "Who bought you the jewellery, the dress?"

She laughed, "I treated myself with my bonus. I'm going to enjoy myself for a change."

I went to grab my bag and leave. She grabbed my wrist, "You said you'd support me at this ball."

I snarled, "That was before you deliberately rubbed my face in this shit. You call this love. This dress wasn't for me. You think I'll put up with you flaunting yourself to your lover. You've forgotten who I am. I'll divorce you and let everyone know why."

Glenda slumped, "Harry I need you to support me tonight. There is no lover. You'll see. I accept I went overboard trying to make your fantasy real without thinking how it would look as we've been so bad recently. I love you and want us to be what we were. Let's go for our meal and enjoy the ball."

She held me and kissed me, the first time in months. My hands confirmed no panties. Michael had said to watch, not do anything stupid. I wanted to leave now but the need to know meant I stayed. We went down to the restaurant and the meal was fairly good. Glenda tried to be light-hearted, teasing me with her breasts. Using her mouth like she was giving me a blow job as she put her food in. Her nipples showed how aroused she was.

I suggested heading back to our room but she insisted we had to go to the ball. We danced together for about fifteen minutes when she had me get us some drinks. When I came back, she was in a deep conversation with someone a fair bit older than her. From the way she looked at him, he must be important. As I came up, she turned to me and introduced us. He was Phillip Twist, the CEO of the parent company. He shook my hand, "You should be very proud of your wife. She worked wonders on that new contract. She'll go far. Enjoy your evening."

We sat nursing our drinks. The way her nipples had been aroused as she spoke with him told me all I needed to know. We danced some more before she accepted an invitation from another high executive. She seemed to glide around the floor non-stop for at least an hour maybe two, as the men in her arms changed. They were far too close to her and their hands felt able to go where they liked. I stayed in the background listening to the comments being made. None were very flattering.

One man, rather the worse for wear, asked me if I got off on watching my wife dancing with those randy bastards. I smiled but there was no mirth. I spoke sharply, "No, I'm just watching her confirm the end of our marriage." This caught him unawares and he almost ran off. I saw him speaking to some flunky who made his way to Twist.

Some other command was obviously given as Glenda was deposited back with me very shortly after. She was very high. Her nipples were as long as I could remember. She pulled me onto the dancefloor. Remarkedly, we never danced as close as she had with those others. She stiffened when I mentioned that. Her eyes were like daggers.

It was after one am when we retired to our room. The atmosphere was frosty. Once in the room, she berated me for the way I had treated her all night. I said, "I told you I'd watch what you were doing. Twist is fucking you. He bought the jewellery and dress. He was complimenting you on how you looked in it, looking forward to having you model it for him. The others are the cast offs, they take sloppy seconds. You let them roam their hands over your body yet I wasn't allowed close. In your mind I'm responsible for you not enjoying the evening. Do you think I enjoyed one minute of this fucking evening?

"Let's not try and keep this façade of a marriage going any longer. Show some respect, let's start the divorce."

Glenda slapped me hard. I turned away. When I spoke, I let all my venom out. She stepped back as I frightened her, "Don't try that again. I've never hit a woman but I won't take any more shit from you."

She undressed in the bathroom. I was already in my bed when she came back. She hadn't packed a sexy negligee. So much for revitalising our marriage.

In the morning, she put on dowdy underwear. I made no comment. In the restaurant for breakfast, she spoke with many of the men she had been dancing with. The looks I got confirmed they saw me as worthless, a cuckold. I finished and didn't wait for her. I headed to our room. I was packed and ready to go when she came in.

She wasn't happy, "That was bloody rude, walking away like that without telling me."

I laughed, "You were too busy arranging which cock you'd suck to notice me. They did and their looks showed it all."

The drive home was silent. She stormed into the house. I wanted to head to my office to view the footage but I had arranged to play golf with a friend, Tony. It proved interesting.

I picked up an Indian takeaway on the way home as usual. Glenda wasn't hungry. I put hers into the freezer.

I took out the divorce forms and asked her, "What's Twist's address? I can fill that in, we both sign it and we can finish this marriage quickly. I've shown how we can divide our assets as per the rules."

Glenda was mad, "I'm not fucking Twist. Your ego is so fragile you think because I haven't fucked you, I'm fucking someone else. I'm not. If you carry on like this much longer, I will agree to a divorce as I can't stand being accused of being a slut. You're killing my love for you."

I snarled, "Love. You've forgotten what that means. All you think about is rising in that fucking company. You'll do anything they ask if they hold the carrot out. Have it in writing before you do fuck any of them because they don't see you as an equal, just a bit of skirt to fuck. Maybe Twist has had you get a tattoo, "Twist's cunt! Mark you as his."

Glenda was mad. I was very good at getting her mad. I was beyond mad.

I left the divorce papers out but she never signed them.

At work I spent hours going through everything the cameras had caught. There was nothing which overtly said she was fucking Twist or any of the other executives. There were quite a few comments about her clueless husband. I was about to stop for the day when I came onto the golf game with Tony. I saw something which I hadn't recognised at the time. I ran through it. As I showered, my glasses were outside the cubicle in the changing room. It caught Tony phoning someone from Glenda's office. Tony was saying quietly, "Harry suspects and is getting ready to divorce her. He won't play your game. He's ballistic as it is with her. He'll turn on you for destroying his marriage. Harry's not a meek and mild man, despite what you think. You have no idea of what he is capable off. You don't build the business he and Mike have if you back down from confrontation."

I heard my shower cubicle opening and Tony rang off. I never heard with whom he was speaking. I wish I'd known at the time as Tony and I would have discussed this more fully. "Won't play your game! What the fuck did that mean?"

I was in bed when Glenda came home if she did. The next day, Michael and I reviewed all I had found.

Michael was upset for me, "Whatever she is doing, it seems to be totally against anything you have ever discussed. There is nothing saying she is fucking around but enough suggestions to say something is going on. I don't like saying this but I think you should make an escape plan. If everything goes tits up, you have somewhere to go, somewhere safe. I don't think Twist will have any compulsion in having you educated to his way of thinking. His sort always think they are superior."

I reluctantly agreed, "Yes, I need a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C. Whoever Tony was speaking to, knows our marriage is unravelling. If they're planning to ambush me, make me go along with whatever they've planned, it will need to be soon. I can't take much more."