All Comments on 'I Had It All'

by chymera

Sort by:
  • 40 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy29 days ago

Maybe she should go back to Nowhere, Arkansas!

4

TajfaTajfa29 days ago

I thought she didn't deserve what became of her. She never cheated but was left high and dry by a real bastard. I would have preferred to see her meet a nice guy and for her husband to get what was coming to him.

someoneothersomeoneother29 days ago

Only authors who have no money and no experience think it that easy for a husband to secrete everything from wife and child (his legally as child born during marriage) and escape to an unreachable hide-away. Silly mindless tripe.

MigbirdMigbird29 days ago

Wild, wacky fun piece.

bruce1971bruce197128 days ago

So, prefacing this by saying I generally enjoy Chimera's work--I follow him, and usually give 4-5 stars. He's got an eye for a good story, and often puts out pieces that are challenging, but really thoughtful.

/

That said, I'm baffled by this piece. Is the message something along the lines of "once trailer trash, always trailer trash"? If so, it's a pretty bleak perspective. Or is the idea that, no matter what we do, we're all bound for sadness? Also pretty bleak. Basically, you have a girl who plays by the rules and gets her ass handed to her. Cruel, dude.

/

Beyond that, there's just a lot here that seems ill-considered. I get naive, but Emma seems like a throwback to the 1940's--almost a caricature of the small-town girl coming to the big city. In an era where Kardashians fill the TV, that level of corn-pone ignorance is a bit hard to believe. At times, she comes off less as countrified, and more as mentally challenged. Also, gotta question the Staten Island thing--it's kind of a low-rent extension of New Jersey, and an up-and-coming finance guy would probably rather have his hands cut off than move there.

/

As always, Chymera nails the beats of a good story, but I'd really like to see something with more of a message than "If you follow the rules, you'll probably end up as a trailer park whore."

knoxhardknoxhard28 days ago

A little bit of Holly Golightly escaping from Texas to see the big city. Capote wrote a good short story. The movie wasn't as good. Probably why Marilyn Monroe's agent advised her to turn it down (or maybe because she wouldn't have had to act at all?).

Strangely, a lot of women seem to admire Audrey Hepburn's character and her ability to get the men she had sex with to fund her lifestyle.

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker28 days ago

cute, but when does the knight in shining armor ride up and rescue the poor hooker? And the asshole is till sunning' around upright. Needs a second part. Maybe someone can write it and help her out. Just saying. The Bear liked it, 5 stars, but it needs more. I honestly thought, in the beginning, that this was going to be another slut story. Nice twist. Please, fix this.

The BEAR

hushjfhushjf28 days ago

Conservatively she could easily earn $600 per night, and assuming she worked only four nights for 50 weeks a year, or about $120,000 a year, did she move or just keep living the trailer trash lifestyle? She seemed too proud to live that life. However if you told me she became a high end escort, a good mom living a decent life in a fairly nice home, it would fit the character you developed. Plus it would be a great ending. After all why should she have to pay for her husband's failures?

Hardday1953Hardday195328 days ago

Sad but true, a girl can fall a long way down. What is a girl to do with a baby? Five stars for a nicely written story. For LT56linebacker, I worked in the real world. If a girl is lucky and is good she will find a husband to stand by her. Normally, that is not the case. Guys, if you are lucky, be happy with a good wife. PS Sounds a lot like my wife!!!

OOAAOOAA28 days ago

What a pity there is not a Burning The ex-Husband there...

WargamerWargamer28 days ago

Nah did nothing for me, did not like the prostitution plot at all. Not my style.

Scores 2/5

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

You'll do whatever you can do to survive.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

When I saw the title of this story I expected it to be another tale about another greedy, selfish bitch for whom nothing would ever be enough and who would ultimately burn herself with her own avarice and treachery. The reality was that she was an absolute sweetheart; naive, charming, in a rough-around-the-edges sort of way and too trusting for her own good. She was eventually betrayed, along with her daughter by a vile excuse for a man for whom a life working in a different type of 'Mexican whorehouse' would have been better than he deserved. That she picked up the pieces in however a roundabout sort of way made it a sweet story. I loved it, five stars.

JR

crucialp760crucialp76028 days ago

She deserves better! Husband deserves a gay mining camp

Tomh1966Tomh196628 days ago

Even the IRS would not go after an innocent wife like this.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

If you want to write a stupid story like this, use any locale but NYC. There are divorce lawyers and New York Divorce Lawyers. This tale and its naïve, stupid female lead might've been believable in 1957 but not now. Silly to the point it's not even fun to read. Definitely NOT one of your usual good stories.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Not sure what the point of writing this was. Theoretically sad, but more mundane than anything. Down on yer luck, formerly rich, so just become a prostitute ..... right.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

This was a story? The teaser of the story led me believing this was totally different than it was. It's outrageous that any wife would accept not only not sleeping & having sex with her husband, but living on the opposite side of the house. Because he didn't want to awaken by his newborn daughter? WTF?? And like "someoneother" wrote, but I'll rephrase it- it's downright stupid to think that a husband can be unreachable & take everything, without consequences, from his wife & child.

I'd write that this story's awful, but that would be giving this too much credit. 1 star, because 0 doesn't affect anything. Bob

fivefplan1fivefplan128 days ago

Okay, so if this was the bottom story arc for Emma. In the second chapter does she arc back up? Otherwise it was a wast of time reading this story.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Well written but not my thing to read about a good woman used then forced to be a whore in a shitty place. She should have sued gay boy Brandon and his work place. They had an active role in her recruitment and setting her up for the asshole.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

I guess this story is about the life of a young woman in NYC. Sometimes you will enjoy the good life, expensive restaurants, and kept at home with all the comforts of a luxurious home... but having a mediocre sex life with a neurotic husband -demonstrating you can't have it all in NYC- and other times you found yourself living in a trailer park... and working as a whore with a much-improved sexual life and even making a decent living. After all, in Arkansas blowjobs are not sexual acts. Every woman in Arkansas sucks cock as a way of obtaining a nutritious snack, nothing else. Only vaginal and anal sex are considered penetrative sex as per judicial statements of a former Governor of the illustrious State of Arkansas and later 42th President of the USA. Thanks for the story.

NudeInMaineNudeInMaine28 days ago

Needs revenge on Brandon.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

simply meant good sex defines happiness whatever the story, why not , life is life 5/5

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Not a fun piece at all.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

This is stupid and so are clowns

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Okay that was fun, now a follow up? How she fucks the system and becomes an upright and honest hardworking citizen having made a nest egg as hushjf suggested?

Thanks for the insight to a beards life, am sure there are millions out there.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Two stars. No winners.

KiwihunterKiwihunter28 days ago

A great story putting a favourable light on sex work and workers. Just a wee tip. If she had received elocution along with etiquette lessons she would never say " me and Lucy " but rather "Lucy and I ". To do so would advertise that she is scum instead of a real person. Also she would have learned never to use the word gotten, showing again she is nothing but trash.

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Brandon was trash. It is fitting that he married what ended up being trash. What was the plot? Just another Really Stupid woman fucked over by a Really Asshole man? Marry Brandon was not the most stupid thing she did in the story. Way to honor women.

Schwanze1Schwanze128 days ago

Good. I'm thinking the start of this could go a hundred different ways.

Schwanze1Schwanze128 days ago

Nice Holly Golightly reference.

Well if she can make six figures she can start buying rent houses and quickly work her way out of poverty.

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

The vitriol of the senior partner toward the hapless wife and innocent child is inexplicable. But, of course, equally inscrutable is a woman who takes such delight in her transition from high society to back room whore.

AnonymousAnonymous27 days ago

In what year is this supposed to occur? 1958? Ridiculous plot and prose.

26thNC26thNC26 days ago

Different, but good different.

AnonymousAnonymous26 days ago

Good story. Sometimes you hafta make lemonade to get through the day. Four stars ⭐️ for this one.

AnonymousAnonymous26 days ago

This was just sad.

DickSnugfitDickSnugfit23 days ago

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this tedious tale, sorry! One star.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous