I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers

"You alright?" The soft female voice of an older woman asked.

Saul jumped. He had been so deep in thought that he hadn't heard the woman approach and sit down.

"Y...yes ma'am." He replied sitting up in his seat.

"Ma'am?" the woman asked shocked. "Ain't no white man ever called me ma'am. Where you from?"

"South Carolina ma'am." Saul replied

"You a long way from home." The woman said. "You always talk to yourself?"

"Only when I got things on my mind." Saul replied with a small smile.

Like the family the day before, the woman shared her food with him. This time, Saul didn't argue as he gratefully accepted a piece of bread with an apple.

"It ain't much but it'll keep the hunger away." She said with a smile.

"I appreciate your kindness." Saul said.

"Tain't nothin'" The woman replied. "We all God's children ain't we? And all Gods' children got to eat."

The woman got off three stops later leaving Saul alone but not hungry.

The sound of the train's engine lulled Saul back to sleep. When he woke up, he was being glared at by a very disgruntled black man.

*******

"How is school going?" Jonah asked Isadora as he helped himself to another piece of bread.

"So far so good." Isadora replied.

"Are you being well treated?" he asked.

"Yes sir. I even made a friend." Isadora replied.

"I'm glad to hear that." Jonah replied. "But I want you to remember what your primary objective is."

"I know exactly why I'm here." Isadora replied. "In three years, I intend to be accepted at UCLA's school of law. After that, I intend to take and pass the BAR and will begin putting those..."

She stopped when she realized that she was raising her voice. The children were staring at her, but Jonah, Lenny and Bella were smiling at her.

"I'm sorry." She said. Her face was burning with embarrassment.

"I think you're right Bella." Jonah said still smiling.

He turned to Isadora.

"Make sure that you keep your fire and focus and I'll help you meet your goals."

Once again, Isadora wondered about Jonah. Where he came from, where the money came from that he was able to educate so many people and where had he gotten that limp? One day, she was going to find out about the mysterious Jonah Jackson.

******

Ernie sat at his desk trying to make sense of his notes by reading the text book. He knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he had done the right thing in going to Kenji for help. He knew that Joel didn't want to help him and he understood. He along with Andrew and a few others had tormented the quiet med student for no other reason than because they could.

And now he wanted their help.

He stared at the textbook not really seeing the words as he thought about Andrew's thinly veiled threat. He kicked himself for allowing himself to get involved with Andrew. He tried to think of anything that he could take to the police, but came up blank.

The question then became was he willing to draw more attention to himself by being seen with Kenji and Joel. If he failed the class... but if he met with Kenji...

His mind reeled with indecision. No matter which choice he made, his future was shot to hell; one choice could end his future permanently.

Ernie slammed the book shut in frustration. By the time he had eaten dinner and got ready for bed, he had decided. It was the pride on the faces of his parents' that made the decision for him. They had worked hard to pay for his education and he couldn't disappoint them. He knew if he told them about Andrew's threat, they would make him stay home, but it was time for him to grow up.

He went to bed, but couldn't sleep for thinking of Andrew's threat.

*******

"Let's see that gun." Peter said.

"It's nothing special." Andrew replied.

"Come on son, show the man the gun." Harlan said.

He was becoming curious about Andrew's reticence. The sick feeling in his stomach that he had before dinner was back.

Andrew picked the box up, looked at it and took the lid off. Slowly he took the gun out not noticing that Peter was ready to move.

Peter looked at the gun and frowned.

"Where's the clip?"

"It didn't have one." Harlan said before Andrew could answer.

Andrew's eyes snapped over to his father.

"I just wanted to bring Andrew a souvenir. It didn't matter whether it had the clip or not."

Harlan was lying and Peter knew it. He had been surprised by the missing clip. Peter saw it in the way his eyebrows went up. He was about to ask where the clip was and he stopped himself. Andrew was surprised too. He hadn't expected his father to lie for him.

"May I look at it?" Peter asked.

"Sure!" Andrew said his confidence back. He handed the gun to Peter in a way that told him that Andrew had lied about firing a gun.

"You sure you never handled a gun before?" Peter asked as he took the gun.

"Dad taught me." Andrew replied looking at Harlan.

Peter turned the gun over in his hands looking for signs that it had been fired. If there were any signs, they were gone. The gun was immaculate. He wondered why Andrew had kept the gun. It would have been fairly easy to dispose of.

But where was the clip?

"Nice weapon, do you mind if I go out for a smoke?" Peter asked.

"Sure, but you don't have to go outside." Harlan said. "I smoke in the house all the time."

"Thank you, but my mother never allowed anyone to smoke in her home. Old habits die hard." Peter replied. "Give me a minute or two and we can study a bit more if you want." He said to Andrew.

"Sure... I'll be right here." Andrew replied.

As soon as Peter was gone, Harlan turned to Andrew.

"Where's the clip?" he asked.

Andrew looked at Harlan with chilly blue eyes.

"It's like you said, there was no clip."

"Andy, what did you do?" Harlan whispered.

*******

Peter opened the front door, closed it and crept to the entrance of the living room. He couldn't believe his luck when he heard Harlan ask Andrew where the clip was and then "Andy, what did you do?"

He had all that he needed. He slipped out the front door, stood on the porch and lit a cigarette. He took three quick puffs and put it out. They had the son of a bitch."

******

Trevor sat up when he saw Peter walk out and light the cigarette.

"He's got something." He said to Charles.

"Give him a minute and then we'll go in." Charles replied. "We'll call Briscoe when we get Kelly downtown."

*******

Peter unclipped his ankle revolver and walked back into the house. Remarkably, Andrew was sitting exactly where he was when Peter went out to smoke. He looked around for Andrew's bag and saw that it was where he'd left it.

Something was wrong, he could feel it; but nothing looked amiss.

Something...

Something...

By the time he realized what it was, he felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder. Peter dropped and rolled before Andrew could get another shot off. He took his ankle revolver out using his uninjured side as he peeked around the couch. Harlan was gone and he could hear Eleanor screaming in the kitchen, but there was no sign of Andrew.

*********

Charles and Trevor were on their way to the house when they heard the gunshot. They took off at a dead run only stopping when they got to the door.

"Pete!" Trevor called in.

"I'm hit! I don't know where Andrew is." He called back.

Trevor went in first, gun pulled.

"Where are his folks?"

"In the kitchen." Peter replied. "His bag is over on the other side of the room. Check it for a weapon. If it's empty, then he's armed. I think he went out the back but I can't be sure."

"I'll check upstairs." Charles said. "Trevor, you check the kitchen."

"Help me up." Peter said. "I'm not hurt that bad."

"Stay put." Charles said. "There's a squad car out back. If he went that way, they'll catch him.

In the background they could hear Andrew's mother crying and demanding to know what was happening. Peter felt bad for them; they were nice people with a murderer for a son. He would do what he could for Harlan. He did what any parent for do; he lied for his child.

*********

Andrew hid in the small storage area just off the kitchen his heart hammering. He clutched the gun from his bag against his chest and tried to figure out what to do. If caught, he was going to prison for killing Milt and he just shot someone else although he hadn't meant to. If Peter was dead, he would probably get the death sentence. That and the knowledge that he had hurt his parents were the only things that affected him.

As he sat in the cramped area, Andrew realized that on some level that his father knew that he killed Milt. His mother, he wasn't so sure about, but his father had known and hadn't asked questions. When he finally asked, it was too late.

Belatedly Andrew realized his mistake. He shouldn't have invited Peter to the house. It was an impulsive move and one that would cost him. He wondered if the police had arrived yet. Surely someone would have reported the gunshot.

His father told him to hide but to leave the gun.

"Peter don't know who pulled the trigger, I'll say it was me; that it was an accident. We'll figure the rest out later."

But Andrew had refused to leave the gun. Now he realized that his father had been right. He should have left the gun behind. There was one thing he could do he realized. He could take a gamble and turn himself in. His father wouldn't say anything about Milt and would stick to his story about the missing clip. The new gun could be explained away by saying what he told the previous owner, it was a gift for his father.

He would also stick to his story about not liking guns and that he didn't know that it was loaded. He might have to go to the police station, but he'd be home by morning.

Andrew took a deep breath, put the safety on the gun and removed the ammunition. Slowly he opened the door of the storage closet and called out just in case the police were there.

"I'm coming out! Please don't shoot me!"

He could hear his mother's panicked voice and then Peter's voice. The voices immediately silenced as he called out.

******

"Where is your son?" Charles asked.

"What do you want?" Eleanor asked. "Why are you here?"

"Ma'am." Trevor said politely, "We're federal agents, now where did your son go?"

Eleanor looked at Harlan who looked away.

"Harlan." Peter said. "You aren't helping him. "

By this time several more squad cars had arrived and the police were searching the house and the surrounding neighborhood.

Everything stopped when they heard Andrew call out. He came into the kitchen with a tear streaked face. His hands shook as he handed the gun to Trevor.

Then he froze...

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I work for the federal government." Trevor replied.

Understanding dawned on Andrew. He turned to Peter, the look of one betrayed was in his eyes as he spoke.

"You too?" he asked.

"I'm agent Peter Frain. We were placed in the class to protect Kenjiro Takeda."

"You'd protect a Jap?" Andrew asked incredulous.

"Son be quiet." Harlan advised. "Don't say anything."

Andrew looked at his father and closed his mouth.

Briscoe walked into the kitchen to tell Charles that they hadn't found Andrew. He stopped short when he saw Andrew in the kitchen with them.

"Where'd you find him?" He asked.

"He came to us and he's all yours." Charles replied.

"You'll find a gun with a missing clip in the living room..." Peter started to say.

"I told you that it didn't have a clip!" Andrew shouted.

"You lied and so did your father." Peter replied. "I heard him ask you where the clip was and what you did."

"Turn around and put your hands behind your back." Briscoe said. "You're under arrest for the murder of Milton Vaughn."

"Andrew? What are they talking about?" his mother asked frantically.

Andrew didn't answer as he complied with Briscoe's command.

He was led away with the sound of his mother's sobs ringing in his ears.

********

The lightened atmosphere from planning the party was wearing off. It was almost eight pm and no one knew what was happening.

"You aren't going to school tomorrow... are you?" Patricia asked.

"No Kirei." Kenji replied. "I gave you my word and as I said, there is too great a chance that someone else will get hurt."

"What if they weren't able to find anything?" she asked.

"We will deal with it." Kenji replied.

In an attempt to make her relax, Kenji suggested that she take a bath.

"I will care for the children while you try to relax. If Nick calls, I'll come for you."

Reluctantly, Patricia agreed.

As she prepared for her bath, she prayed that it would be over. She missed her house and she missed going to class. She was ready for their lives to go back to some semblance of normalcy.

She got into the tub and slid down so that the hot water covered her shoulders. The hot water relaxed her tense muscles and before she knew it, she had fallen asleep.

**********

Kenji was listening to Ralph read to Marie when the phone rang.

"Kenjiro! Come! It's Nick!" Hiroshi called out excitedly.

Penny and Joel rushed to the kitchen where Kenji was putting the phone to his ear. They held hands as they listened to Kenji's end of the conversation.

"Yes Nick... I understand... Peter is alright? Yes...I will tell them. Thank you."

Kenji hung up and turned to face three anxious faces.

"It is over. Andrew Kelly is in custody."

"What about Peter?" Penny asked.

"He received a bullet wound to the shoulder, but he will be fine. If you will excuse me, I must tell Patricia. Father, could you watch the children for a few moments?"

"Is it really over?" Joel asked.

"They still have to prove that Andrew killed Milton, but for now; it is over."

"Then the picnic on Saturday becomes a celebration." Hiroshi said smiling.

"Yes, that is true." Kenji agreed.

When Kenji left to go to Patricia and Penny and Joel went to talk, Hiroshi looked at his grandchildren.

He looked at Ralph as he sat with his arm around his sister and read to her. Hiroshi knew that Ralph would grow up to be an extraordinary man. He reminded him of Kenji at that age, so curious and such a gentle spirit.

In fact, Hiroshi had worried for him. The world was a harsh place for those so gentle. He saw that his worry had been for naught. Kenji was a strong man as would his son be when he grew up. He looked at Marie. She was a beautiful little girl who would grow up to be a beautiful woman. Hiroshi watched as she smiled when Ralph changed his voice to give the characters in the story life.

She would be an extraordinary woman, but not before she was a source of pain and heartbreak for her parents. Hiroshi knew this just as he had known that it was time to leave Japan in 1933. He knew this just as he knew that Adolf Hitler was trouble; he just knew.

As if she knew that she was being thought about, Marie looked up at her grandfather and smiled.

*******

"Kirei." Kenji called softly. "Wake up."

Patricia slowly opened her eyes to see Kenji sitting on the side of the tub. She sat up and began to fire questions at him.

"What's wrong? Did they get him? Is Peter alright?"

"Yes Kirei, it is over." Kenji replied. "Andrew Kelly is in custody. Peter has a gunshot wound to his shoulder but he will recover."

Patricia stared at him wondering if she was dreaming.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"I spoke with Nick." Kenji replied. "Kirei, it's over. We can go home."

Patricia allowed the news to sink in and when it did, she reached for Kenji and pulled him into the tub with her sending water splashing everywhere. Tears of relief and happiness ran down her face as she clung to him.

It was finally over.

********

Andrew paced the cell at the police station thinking about his future. He had none. Medical school was over even if it couldn't be proven that he killed Milt. But they would. It was only a matter of time.

Rage built over Peter's betrayal even as he realized that in the end it was his fault. He had allowed himself to be taken in by Peter's military background and his apparent dislike of the Japanese. One by one, his errors in judgment came back to him.

The first major error was not killing Kenji while the anti-Japanese sentiment was still high. The second was killing Milt without really planning it out and the third thing was keeping the gun. In retrospect, he could have gotten rid of the gun and no one would have known about it. He had invited trouble by bringing Peter home and expecting the subject of weapons not to come up.

This was his fault he finally admitted to himself. He had been too impulsive and too trusting. That admission did nothing to diminish his anger and hatred at Kenji. In his mind, that was where the problem began. What he didn't admit was that, if it weren't Kenji; it would have been someone else.

Andrew weighed his options. He had already heard the term death sentence mentioned in relationship to him. He had to decide if he wanted to live or die. If he chose life, it would be a life in prison, but maybe he would eventually get out. Death was final.

*********

Harlan Kelly kissed his wife goodbye and told her not to worry.

"Where are you going?" she asked still in shock over the events of the evening.

"I'm going to help Andrew." He replied as he hugged her.

A few minutes later, he was waiting for a cab to take him to the police station. This was his fault. He had known ever since he came back that there was something wrong with Andrew and he had done nothing.

In his mind, had he said something, his son wouldn't be sitting in prison facing a murder charge. If he hadn't used all of those derogatory terms... if he hadn't.... if he had only said or done this. In his mind, the ultimate guilt belonged to him and him alone.

The cab pulled up to the station and asked Harlan if he wanted him to wait.

"No, I won't be coming out." He said softly as he paid the fare.

The cabbie gave him a curious look, shrugged and took the money.

"Sure you don't want me to wait?" The cabbie asked. It was a slow night and he wanted the fare.

"No thanks." Harlan replied and hobbled away on his crutches.

He went to the desk and waited for the officer to notice him.

"Help you?" The officer asked gruffly.

"Yes... I would like to confess to the murder of Milton Vaughn."

**************

By March of 1948, Warner Brothers shows the first color newsreel; the Tournament of Roses and the Rose Bowl. Mahatma Gandhi begins his fast-unto-death- he is assassinated on January 30, 1948. The Winter Olympics open in St. Moritz, Switzerland.

The Soviet Union begins to jam the Voice of America broadcasts. NASCAR is founded by Bill France Sr. and William France, Sr.

The Supreme Court rules that religious instruction in public school is a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

*****************

Civil Rights

President Harry Truman submits a civil rights plan to Congress.

Martin Luther king receives a BA in sociology from Morehouse College and enters Crozer Theological Seminary and is ordained to the Baptist ministry; he is nineteen years old at the time.

********************

Thank --you all for continuing to follow the lives of Kenji and Patricia! Also my thanks to my beta reader Donalde for all of his help.

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers