All Comments on 'Indenture: Termination of Service'

by thomas_dean

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
Dr_James_Davies_DFDr_James_Davies_DFover 1 year ago

Exit Time Suitcase

The term is up; the time has been served. Is the obligee in this dystopia where people pledge years of their lives an bind themselves to service ready to go? What will be her future relationship with people she leaves behind?

Dragondick69Dragondick69over 1 year ago

love the story and how one such dystopia future could happen. I will wait for the next chapter of this story if there is one.

GamblnluckGamblnluckover 1 year ago

was this a sequel

thomas_deanthomas_deanover 1 year agoAuthor

Thank you Dr Davis, Dragon and Gambling

While this is a self - standing story, with its own beginning middle and end, it is also part of the world of a dystopia described in the INSTITUTE series. The assumption is that if present trends continue, the bounce back, from liberal credit and easy - going bankruptcy will be a return to a rigid, authoritarian 19th century system. Dragon, I have been thinking of a sequel.

thomas_deanthomas_deanover 1 year agoAuthor

Dear Gamblin' and Dragon:

I am thinking of a sequel, but ideas are still percolating. Ellen is a voluntary indenturee. She gave up her freedom for money. A wage slave. In The Institute: Private Sale of an Indenturee, I present another aspect of this dystopia: the story of an indenturee who pledged her body as collateral for a debt.

The premise is that if in 2012 a declining 48% of the population was supporting a burgeoning 52%, eventually no one would go to work and the system would collapse. In the bounce back, we'd find a return to a simpler time of the manor. Interestingly 19th century Marxists looked on the Manor as a model for their heaven on earth.

Freedom is lost bit by bit. The mouse learns too late why the cheese is free.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

MMH. Very nicely written, captures interactions, moods and conflicts very well. But where does the plot lead? Not really conclusive ending, more like an intermediate slowdown, before another chapter picks up, possibly from another angle, and offers a convincing plot closure.

thomas_deanthomas_dean9 months agoAuthor

Dear Anon

Thank you for your comment. Students graduate, prisoners are paroled, soldiers are discharged. What happens to friends left behind? Where does the newly freed person take freedom from a confinement of different types to the unbounded possibilities of personal autonomy? I think that's the state the newly freed indenturee finds herself in.

My view on a short short story is that it affords only one perspective character. Others may disagree.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

Good story. It needs a part two to determine what she does and if she is reunited with her husband.

thomas_deanthomas_dean3 days agoAuthor

Dear Anon:

Thank you Anon for your comment.

The plus of many of the Literotica writers who speculate how easy credit and liberal bankruptcy will lead to a form of indentured servitude,public auctions and subjugation have written in chapters. The story line and the characters may get muddled after so many chapters.

I started the Institute as such a series, but decided to tell it as self - standing vignettes, short stories which are independent of each other but linked by common themes.

The story of Ellen continues in INDENTURE RECYCLED PROPERTY. ( https://literotica.com/s/indenture-recycled-property ).

Thank you for your comments.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous