Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Isabel is half asleep when the doors open, and I am wheeled in. She is jolted awake as the sudden influx of people busies themselves transferring me to a bed, then attaching all the monitors, drains, and drip feeds.

The heart monitor beeps into life, and Isabel gets her first look at me. I am looking a little pale, and have a large bandage wrapped around his head. My eyes are closed, and there's a bag of blood dripping into a pipe that goes into my right wrist. My left arm is in plaster, there's another bandage on my left leg. My face is swollen and there is bruising on the left-hand side of my face. As the nurses clear the room a doctor in green scrubs walks in.

She is reading some notes written on a clipboard. "Right, good evening. You must be Mr. and Mrs. Stokes."

She glances at Isabel. "This is Isabel, James's Girlfriend," Heather informs her.

The doctor smiles and nods her head. "OK, James has a five-inch or twelve-centimeter gash in the left-hand side of his head which we had trouble treating because it crossed several larger veins. It took around a hundred stitches to close it up and stop any bleeding. It has a drain on it to stop any blood build-up." The doctor then quickly checks a different sheet of paper on her clipboard. "He has a fractured arm, just above the wrist and a cut on his left leg as well as a chipped bone on the ankle. He has no internal bleeding that we can detect. He does have an impact on the back of his head which we think knocked him unconscious, but again it seems to be superficial. He does also have several cuts and bruises, but they look worse than they are. Although he will be black and blue by the morning. As far as we can tell he's been a very lucky young man."

The doctor then looks up from her notes, "Is there anything you would like to ask me."

The only noise at first was the beep of the heart monitor before Mr. Stokes speaks up. "Is he unconscious now, or asleep?"

"He is sleeping now, he started to come round when he was being brought up to the operating theatre. We had a brief conversation with him, and then had to put him out again."

"What did he say?" Isabel asks.

"We asked him a couple of simple questions like name, date. He asked where you were, where he was, about the child he saved, and that was about it. He seemed to be very aware of his surroundings."

With that news, the atmosphere in the room changed, and there are a couple of smiles at each other. Isabel moves next to me, and gently touches my face before grabbing hold of my good hand. My skin feels a little cold to the touch, but she is just pleased that I am ok.

Heather Stokes then asks. "Is he going to have any lasting effects?"

"Well, other than having a doozy of a scar that his hair should hide, he should make a full recovery. There is an outside chance of some nerve damage, but we won't know that until he comes around. There will be a loss of sensation around the scar, but that should improve in time. He might also suffer from headaches for a while. We will need to keep him in for a day or two just to monitor him. Just a precaution, purely because of the severity of his accident and the head injury."

With that, the doctor put the clipboard at the end of James's bed and bids the family a good night. The Stokes and Isabel thank the doctor as she exits the room.

With that the nurse comes back in, "James will be staying here tonight, so when you are ready to leave I will escort you back down."

"But I would like to stay," Isabel says. The nurse looks at her, "please, I really need to be close to him right now." Isabel's eyes are welling up again and the nurse can see that it was going difficult to talk her out of this.

"Ok, but don't tell anyone. If you are asked, you sneaked back in."

Isabel smiles at Nurse Mills and then looks at my parents. The nurse then tells them to let her know when they would like to leave.

The three move around my bed and talk to me making sure I know they are there in a hope that he can hear them. After about half an hour Heather looks at her husband and tells him that they should make a move. They say their goodbye's to Isabel, kiss me on my cheek, and make their way out the door.

Isabel pulls up a chair and sits down holding my hand. "Come on Jimmy. Hurry up, and wake up so I can apologize to you. Then I can thank you properly for the amazing thing you are doing for me. I think even if we have a full life together, I still won't have enough time to make it up to you." She squeezes my hand, and think she feels me lightly squeeze back. Then Isabel rests her head onto my shoulder and closes her eyes.

Isabel is woken by the nurse not knowing how much time has gone by. "You don't look very comfortable like that." Isabel gives her a tired smile. "I'll tell you what, if you want we can pull one of the other beds next to James, you can get more comfortable."

With that, they move the chair and wheel a bed next to mine. Isabel climbs up next to me and kisses me goodnight before settling down. The nurse puts the bars up and lays a blanket over Isabel. As she leaves the room she turns the light off as Isabel drifts back off to sleep.

******

I wake with the worst headache I have ever had, so I keep my eyes closed for a minute to let my brain catch up. It feels like somebody has taken my head off, given the brains a mix in the food blender, and then stuffed it all back in the wrong way. 'Shit, why do I feel like this?'

'That car did it hit me? Shit, how bad am I hurt?' Then I remembered waking up in the hospital briefly. I try to move, but my body hurts all over. Wiggling my toes and fingers to make sure everything works, my right arm feels a little weird. I have never felt so much pain in my life. I try to open my eyes, the room was quite dark. Light is coming through a door on my right, and I can see the beginnings of the day through the window. It wasn't quite light out yet, so it must be around five in the morning. Someone enters the room and walks around my bed. She smiles at me when she sees that I'm awake.

"Good Morning James." The nurse whispers to me. "It's good to see you're awake.

With that, I feel movement on the other side. My neck feels stiff, so I have to use my eyes to glance over. There I see the top of Isabel's head, and she seems to be sound asleep.

"Do you want me to wake her?" I try to shake my head, and then try to speak, but my throat is too dry. "Here." The nurse has a glass of water with a straw in. She lets me have a couple of sucks, and then puts the glass back on my side table. She then proceeds to take my vitals.

"Thank you." I finally manage to say.

"That's ok my love." The nurse says just before she turns and goes to the bottom of my bed to fill in my chart. She then comes up, "we should have a bed for you in a ward at around ten, so we will be moving you then."

"Ok, thank you, nurse."

"That's no problem, and you can call me Amy."

"Thank you, Amy. Is there any chance of something to kill this pain?"

"Umm, yes James that shouldn't be a problem. Where does it hurt?"

"Everywhere."

"I suppose that's what you get when you get hit by a car."

I grimace remembering the accident. "Amy, do you know what happened to the little boy?"

"Yes, he was checked by the doctors, and went home last night."

With that news, I sank back into the bed, and Amy leaves to get my medication.

With the sound of voices, Isabel lifts her head very sleepily. "Hey."

"Hey back."

Then the reality of the day before hits her. Her eyes open wide, "Holy shit Jimmy you scared me to death."

I could only flinch at the noise. I try to bring my hand up, but it feels heavy. I can see the plaster on my arm now. The side of my head just doesn't feel right, Izzy sees what I'm trying to do and I look at her with questioning eyes.

"You have a large gash on the left-hand side of your head. Also, you hit your head that causes your concussion. You've also fractured your arm and your leg has a cut and a chipped bone. You were very lucky Jimmy."

Nurse Amy came back in with some painkillers and a cup of tea for Isabel. Izzy, with help from the nurse, gets off the bed and puts it back in the bay next door. She sits on the chair next to my bed. Amy then comes around the other side and injects the painkillers straight into my line.

"Doctor will call in around nine as long as there are no new admissions."

I smile and thank her in a whisper. As she leaves the room I close my eyes. The pain is getting to me a little. Laying there I hear Izzy sipping her tea whilst she holds my hand and plays with my fingers.

I must have drifted off to sleep because the next thing I know there are several voices. My mum is one, and Isabel is another. There is a third female voice that I didn't recognize, as well as a couple of male voices. I opened my eyes, and the first thing I notice is that my head feels a little clearer. My eyes come into focus, and I can see my mother talking to a doctor. I think it is the same doctor as last night, but I can't be sure. Izzy has seen me wake and moves over to kiss me. My mother and the doctor then notice that I am awake.

"Hello, James." The doctor says. "How are you feeling?"

I try to smile, but end up nodding my head. "I'm ok Doctor. My head feels a bit weird, but my headache is gone."

"That's good, and judging by your states, there seems to be not much else wrong. It looks like you have been very lucky this time."

"Yes, thank you, Doctor. You're not the first to say that. Did we meet last night?"

"Why yes, I'm surprised you remember. I patched you up before going home." The doctor moves away and talks to the two men.

As my mother comes over and kisses me on my cheek. "James, you scared the living daylights out of us. Don't do that again." She playfully taps my shoulder, but I get a distinct feeling she's just relieved it wasn't anything worse. I also notice a look she has when she watches Bradly play football. Wow, mum is proud of me.

"Mum, where's Dad?"

"He's picking Sam up from the station. She was on the first possible train after I rang her."

The doctor comes back over, "James these two men are here to take you up to the ward. We will be keeping you in for a couple of days, just to be sure you are ok."

"Ok, thanks again Doc."

"No problem at all, I don't often get to see the patient the next day." She smiles and walks off.

One of the porters goes over to the doctor to check it's ok to move me. She nods her head and he turns and gets the attention of the second porter. A nurse comes over to help with the monitors and removes both drips.

"Good morning James, I'm Colin, and this ugly fella is John. We're going to be taking you to the trauma unit." The porter who seems to be in charge says trying to sound upbeat.

I smile and nod. Very quickly I was off and being pushed down a long corridor. We get to a bank of three elevators, and all climb in. I see the man called Colin looking at Isabel who has hold of my hand again. She glances at him with a, what are you looking at expression. The man then starts to look a little uncomfortable and looks at me. He realizes that I had seen his slight discomfort, which in turn doubles. He then coughs, goes red, and looks away.

In no time the lift doors open, and I am pushed into the ward. There are three other people in with me, but I guess I can put up with it for a night or two. It didn't take long for the porters to escape, and for me to be left with Izzy and my Mother. My Mothers phone vibrated, and she went to show my Dad and Sam the way.

Isabel looked at me, "Jimmy, I'm sorry for......." I stopped her by putting my finger on her lips.

"Izzy, we will talk when I get out." I must have said this a little harshly because Izzy's face started to look worried. "Hey, no need for that face. I just think we need to talk properly and alone."

Izzy seemed to understand, and her worried look melts away. She sits on the side of the bed leaned in and gave me the most beautiful, loving, and sexy kiss ever. I felt a stirring and my breath got a little shorter.

I gazed into her eyes. "You know I love you more than anything on this planet don't you?"

A smile spread across her face. "And I am totally in love with you as well." Then a moment of realization appeared on her face. "Oh shit, dad was telling me about Cambridge just before the Police turned up."

I couldn't help but smile at her sudden amazed expression, and pure delight. "And?"

"And what?"

"And what do you think."

"Oh shit Jimmy." Izzy's face had the most serious look of importance on it. "With you here, it seems to have not been the most important thing."

"Well Izzy, are there any questions you have?"

"I expect loads, but I need to think. Maybe you can run through it with me."

Just then I hear the obvious noise of Sam walking into the Ward.

Even before she walks around the curtain I call, "hello Munchkin."

A beaming smile attached to Sam's face walks around the corner. "Hi, Jay. Have you got me to travel from Exeter on false pretenses?"

I can only return the smile as she comes up and plants one on my lips. The arms go around, and she holds me tight.

She whispers in my ear, "you bastard, you nearly gave me a fucking heart attack." With that, she releases me, gives me a second kiss, and goes over to Izzy for a consoling hug. I gaze upon my two friends hugging, as they both place a hand on my hand.

The four people around my bed are silent for a moment. Then my Mother speaks, "Isabel, do you want to come down to the canteen to get some food, you must be starving."

Izzy looks at me a little torn on what to do. I nod my head in agreement, so she jumps off the bed and shuffles out of the ward along with Mum.

Sam hops up onto the bed where Izzy was and grabs my hand again. "So Jay, what happened?"

I'm not one hundred percent sure. I remember the child breaking away from his mum and me going after him, but the rest is blank. My Dad fills us in on the rest and the fact that the driver has also failed a breath test. He will be charged with Drink Driving, injury caused by dangerous driving, and trying to leave the scene of an accident. He has demolished a three-hundred-year-old bridge and could end up doing time. I must admit that it even shocked me, and I was there.

Sam had tears in her eyes. She looks down at me, "you are one lucky SOB."

I can only start to laugh at her choice of words, but stopped very quickly. The pain is quite intense, and I had to close my eyes. "Ahhhh, try not to make me laugh Munchkin."

"Sorry Jay, are you ok? Do you want the nurse?"

As if by magic the nurse walks around the corner. "Is everything OK?"

"Ummm, his head is hurting." Sam blurts out.

The nurse checks my chart. "He had some pain killers around four hours ago so he can have some more if needed. James, do you need some more painkillers?"

I squeak out a yes, and she rushes off to get a prescription made up. She returns at the same time as Izzy and my Mum. They both looked refreshed and told the other two to go. Sam jumps off the bed and scuttles off with my Dad.

The Nurse looks a little confused, "so which one of these beautiful ladies is your girlfriend?"

"I am," Isabel says proudly. I must admit that the warm feeling this gives me is incredible.

She takes my hand to access my cannula with a smirk on her face.

My Mother looks at Isabel. "Isabel, when we leave in a minute. Would you like to come back with us? You haven't been home since last night."

I glance at her with one eye, "baby you should go and get yourself a break. Sam is here to keep me company."

Izzy is looking uncomfortable for a second. I can see she is torn between wanting to be with me and going home to have a shower.

She slowly gets to her feet and kisses me on the lips. "See you later Jimmy." Then whispers into my ear. "Sam wants to know if your crown jewels have been affected. I love you so much, Jimmy."

I nod as she moves away, "I love you too Izzy." She stands up straight but still looking a little undecided. My parents say their goodbyes, and all three of them leave. Sam scoots up close and then is just looking at me whilst resting her chin in her hand. I can see she is waiting for me to speak, but I'm not biting. Closing my eyes for a second to rest them, I hear her get a little frustrated.

A smile spreads across my face, and that was enough to earn a playful tap. "Jay?"

"Mmmmm" I open my eyes and glance at her, but say nothing else. This is a game we have played many times. Normally I lose, but today I have the advantage. Yes, I'm sedated, and just don't want to talk much anyway. "Sam?"

"Yes, Jay?"

"Thank you for making the trip up." I start in a whisper. "I have seen more of you in the last couple of weeks than since you moved away." A grin was spreading across my face again as I deliberately deflect the conversation.

Sam lets out a puff of air as she laughs awkwardly at her failure to get me to start the conversation she wanted. "You bugger."

"Don't know what you mean. Seriously though Sam, thanks for being here."

"You know I will always be here for you. You are way too important to me than you realize."

"Well part of me is anyway," I add with a smirk.

"Shit Jay, I'm being serious. This has been traumatic for all of us. When I got that phone call from your Mum I almost had a fucking heart attack. Nobody knew if you were dead or alive. Hell, you could have been paralyzed or something. The shit going through my head was not good."

I lifted my hand and cupped her cheek. Sam leaned into my hand and closed her eyes. At that moment it hit me just how lucky I am to have such a good friend.

Sam opens her eyes again, she leans forward to kiss me. As our lips part, "you are probably the most important person in my life."

"Sam, you know I love you. Sorry for scaring you."

Sam breaks out of the seriousness of the conversation and playfully hits me again. "And so you should." She returns to the position she started from. "Do you mind if I check?"

"No you can't, and before you start to nag. Please don't, my head can't take it."

"Oh play the poor me I'm in hospital card."

"I just did." I laugh flinching a little as my head starts to throb with my heartbeat. I try to sit up a little, but my body just doesn't feel right. Each time a move I can feel every joint.

Sam sees my discomfort, "Sorry Jay, not the time or place." So she changes the subject. "Did you get a chance to speak to Isabel properly about the job offer?"

"Nah, I'll do it when I get home. Should be out tomorrow."

"Are you still going to accept on Monday?"

"Yeah, shouldn't keep them waiting too long as long as the solicitor is happy. I have asked a lot of them, and to keep them waiting would be disrespectful. Just need to ask Izzy about what she wants."

"Bit of a rhetorical question isn't it?"

"No, not really, this question needs to be asked. Still need Izzy to make the choice. It might be a stupid question that I already know the answer to if you want to label it."

Sam smiles "Yeah, s'pose."

"When are you going back?"

"I will get the last train back tonight. I have work at nine tomorrow." Then Sam takes a deep breath and snuggles into me. She is still holding my hand using her thumb to caress the back lightly.

I close my eyes for a while and must have drifted off, because what seemed like a moment later both, Izzy, and my mother are back sat at my bedside.

"Where's Sam?"

"Oh, hello sleepy." My mother said. "She's gone for a coffee."

I grab Izzy's hand and squeeze it. She still has a worried look on her face. "Are you OK Iz?"

"Not really Jimmy, I still feel bad about yesterday."

"Izzy, we should talk about this when I get home. We also need to talk about Cambridge."

123456...8