Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But the most amazing thing we found out was when Heather Richards came over all excited. She had been sorting through the boxes and found some old holiday photos. I couldn't believe what she showed me. There was a 6 X 4 photo of Isabel when she was about six on holiday on Croyde beach. She was building a rather large sandcastle. Now, this in itself wasn't that amazing, loads of people came on holiday to North Devon. The amazing part is, sat next to her is a six-year-old Sam, and stood behind them is a (you guessed it) a six-year-old me. Isabel almost has heart failure, and I just stared at the photo for ages.

I remember the day well, Sam and I had persuaded Rachel (her mum) to spend the day on the beach. Rachel was not a fan of sitting amongst all the holidaymakers or 'Grockles' as us natives call them. Anyway, we were bored and into the third week of the school summer holiday, so to keep the peace she volunteers to watch us. Sam and I were just walking up the beach from the sea when we noticed a girl building a sandcastle. She wasn't far from Heather so Sam asked if we could help. We spent the entire afternoon building this sandcastle, only for the tide to come back in and wash it all away. I remember Isabel getting upset and both Sam and I put our arms around her to comfort her. We promised to help build another one on a different day, but it wasn't meant to be. They were on their last two days of their holiday and the next day wasn't sunny enough for a trip to the beach.

"Well, that explains a lot, Jimmy."

"What do you mean Iz?"

"It explains why I was so comfortable around you from day one. I must have subconsciously remembered you and was already at ease in your company."

I considered that for a while and shook my head, "possibly Iz, or it could be my fantastic chat-up lines." We both started laughing and snuggled in. I took a picture of the photo on my phone and sent it to Sam, I didn't send an explanation or anything.

At around six my phone decided to have a meltdown. Sam goes absolutely mental, she can't believe it and has to tell me this at least twenty times, after she gets us to video chat that is.

She also remembers the day, "of course Jay you know what this means don't you." She finally says when she calms down. "This means I should get first dibs on going out with Isabel."

Isabel looks at me with a certain glint in her eye, "oh sorry Jimmy, she's right." My eyes stare disbelieving at her. "Does this mean that James will have to make us both pregnant Sam?"

Sam just burst out laughing. "It would definitely make it less awkward Isabel." She retorts. I just go really red, and they both laugh at my expense.

******

Not much happens over the next couple of weeks, my picture appears in the local paper, the North Devon Journal receiving my award from the police. We spend a lot of time at the beach or in the garden. We are both getting a great tan. On the not-so-good days, we go into Barnstaple to go to the cinema. My certification for my 2nd Dan black belt. I have taken to always wearing some sort of hat. I have favored a bandana most of the time though because it puts less pressure on my scar.

Isabel received her confirmation from Cambridge, but the highlight is that both Isabel and I have got an invite down to Exeter from Sampson Harris. Andrew Sampson is back in the office and wishes to meet both of us. He also talked about the possibility of me starting work in Exeter for a month before University starts. I will need to lose my cast first though, but I feel quite excited about it.

Isabel doesn't like the thought of losing me for a month but then realizes that we will be living together soon after that and some of the days I will work from home. Rachel's offer me the spare room during the weekdays is an idea as well, but I will think about that when the time comes.

It's a Tuesday morning, Isabel and I are sitting on the Barnstaple to Exeter train. We have been invited to the monthly staff meeting of Sampson Harris Architects. We are both excited because I will get to meet many of the people that I will be working with, and also Edward Harris has made a promise to Isabel. He has stated that if he can't convince her to join the company, he will never mention it again. Isabel is up for the challenge and I know first-hand how stubborn she can be.

As the train pulls into Exeter Central there's no flying tackle from Sam today, she is at work. Isabel and I walk hand in hand out of the station and towards the offices of Sampson Harris. The sun is out and it's quite a warm day. Makes a change from the four days of rain that we had just endured. We are in no rush, it's only nine-thirty and our appointment isn't until ten.

I hold the door open for Isabel to enter the reception of Sampson Harris. The same lady is sat behind the desk. She first looks at Isabel with a welcoming smile but then sees me enter behind her. A smile of recognition spreads across her face, "James, it's so good to see you again."

"Hello, yes it's good to be back. This is my girlfriend..."

"Ah Isabel," she says before I can get it out. Isabel beams at the fact she knows who she is and offers her hand. The lady who now I know is Lidia (because of her name tag) shakes Isabel's hand and welcomes her to the office.

Lidia presses an intercom button and announces that we have arrived. A couple of minutes later Edward and a second man enter the reception area. I recognize the second man from the website. Both men have smiles on their faces and the second man holds out his hand and introduces himself, "Hi James, I'm Andrew Sampson. It's so good to finally meet you.

"Likewise Mr. Sampson. I'm looking forward to working for you." The conversation stops for a moment.

Then I realize my mistake, "Oh sorry gentlemen, this is my girlfriend Isabel." I turn to Isabel. "Isabel this is Mr. Edward Harris and Mr. Andrew Sampson my new bosses."

Mr. Harris steps forward, "hello Isabel and welcome. Please call me Edward. Mr. Harris makes me feel so old."

Then Mr. Sampson interjects, "And both of you can call me Andrew."

"James, Isabel" Edward says. "Please this way, everyone has congregated in the conference room."

Isabel's hand shoots out and grabs mine as we are escorted up the stairs towards the noise of people talking. As soon as Andrew Sampson enters the room goes silent. Edward stops us from entering for a second.

"Ok ladies and gentlemen, we have asked our newest recruit, James Stokes, to join us today to meet everyone. He has also brought his beautiful girlfriend, who will be attending Cambridge with him to do her Law degree." He then puts a little show on by pretending to tell them a secret, "we are hoping she might also join us once qualified." He gets a ripple of laughter.

Edward turns to Isabel and whispers "I will try and win my bet later." He then gives her a sly smile.

She smiles back, "we'll see Edward." Causing Edward's eyebrows to raise accepting the challenge.

Andrew continues, "So may I introduce James Stokes and his girlfriend Isabel Richards." There's quite an enthusiastic round of applause as Edward walks us into the room. I look at Isabel in amazement and she has the same expression. There is a couple of wolf whistles, this has the effect of making both Isabel and myself blush.

Looking around at the faces staring back at me. There are around fifty people in the room, most are between the ages of twenty-five to thirty-five. There are a couple of older colleges sat to the right. I notice instantly that they seem to be sat in groups and I presumed they are sat in the teams they work with and have befriended.

The noise dies down when Edward raises both hands. "Okay, okay. Now, those who were in the meetings about James will already know this, but for the rest let me fill you in." He pauses to let his words sink in and to think about what he is saying. "Normally, and with the majority of you here today we have employed only the top graduates from the top universities. This has worked well for us and we will continue to do this as our little company expands into other areas. Now Andrew and I floated an idea around five years ago now. We decided we needed someone with a more natural raw talent to.....how should I put this....." He looks across to Andrew Sampson.

"Mold into a......me?" The room laughed.

Edward laughs but nods. "Yes, I suppose that's about right. Andrew spends six months of the year sorting out unforeseen problems. We hope that James here will take some of that workload off those broad shoulders and also give us something new. We have spent the last twenty years at the forefront of building design, and we think with James here we will continue that for many years to come." There were many sounds of approval and some murmuring.

Andrew Sampson then ads. "No pressure though James." He smiles at me as I raise my eyebrows and nod. It was about all I was capable of doing at that moment. "Just so you know what sort of man we have employed, let me give you a little bit of information about this guy. That's if he's ok with that, this guy I believe is one the most humble and down-to-earth guys I've had the privilege to meet. Okay...... James here is Devon born and bred. He was born in Barnstaple North Devon, he has a twin brother, who I think some of you have heard of, Bradly Stokes Plymouth Argyle's young forward. James here has a Second Dan Black belt in Kendo. He has just finished his 'A' levels at Petroc North Devon College where Mr. Jenkins first brought him to our attention. I think most of you know Colin? He will be attending Cambridge in the autumn to gain a degree in Structural Engineering and Design as well as a load more. From what I've seen of his work, I think he won't have any problems with that. On top of his studies, we will be 'with help from the University professors' teaching him other things that will help him develop into what we need. Most of you will notice James here has his hand in a cast and is wearing a bandana. He broke his arm and sliced his head open some weeks ago saving a child's life that was just about to be run down by a drunk driver. If the paper reports are to be believed, he picked the boy up and took the hit from the car himself." There was another murmur before Andrew continues. "Now I bet most of the males here and some of the rest are wondering what Miss Richards is here for. Well, and I hope she doesn't mind me telling you. Her dream was to attend Cambridge University. She was hoping to do her law degree there and had been accepted. Unfortunately, her circumstances changed and that looks very unlikely. Call it coincidence, luck, or destiny. Isabel met James and they started a relationship, before you think anything, this was before we even contacted him about this opportunity. Now we will try our best to coax her into possibly coming here after she has graduated, but I sense she is going to take some persuading." Another ripple of laughter comes from the room. "So without holding you up any longer and a slight hope that you will get some work done today, I will shut up."

There is another ripple of laughter and a round of applause as people stand. A couple comes over and shakes our hands before leaving. A rather tall woman then comes over and shakes my hand. "Hello James, pleased to meet you. My name is Natasha, I am head of the legal team here. Do you mind if I steal your girlfriend away for the company's hard sell?"

"Hello Natasha," I say with a warm smile. "As long as she is okay with that."

She then walks up to Isabel and introduces herself. The first thing she does is asks, "Did he really get hit by a car?"

"Yes, he did," Isabel replies with a stern look at me. "Scared the hell out of both me and his parents." With that response, Natasha laughs and visibly relaxes. They then talk for a while before Isabel waves at me as she is lead from the room. I watch her walk away, she is looking so sexy in her knee-length skirt and matching suit jacket. Something about the businesswoman look. I feel a little stirring in my trousers before I hear a cough. I turn to see Edward smiling at me.

I walk over to Edward, "so Edward, what is the plan for the rest of the day?"

"Glad you asked James if you shadow Andrew over there up to dinner. I believe he will be taking the monthly catch-up before lunch. We will then take you and your lovely girlfriend for a bite, then this afternoon we have some obligatory health and safety things. Your induction and if we have time you can go into the design hub and see what people are working on. We have also put a package together for you, a little something to say welcome." He pauses looking around. "Can't see Debra at the moment. She has it for you, there is an ulterior motive though with the gift. It gives us working access to you and makes it possible for us to help you along the path we need you to take. There is full instruction that we've put together, but the software is made by the same people for the one you use at home, so not much different to what you already use." He finishes still looking a little distracted trying to see where Debra has gone.

I look at him a little confused, "So exactly what is in this package?"

"Oh shit, didn't I say?" I shack my head, "Sorry James, it's your workstation." I'm still looking a little confused. "It's a monster of design our boys came up with. A laptop with all the bells and whistles. It's loaded with all the memory and software you will need. Your company phone and a load of bits and bobs to go with it. It's all connected to the company mobile Wi-Fi account and don't lose it. The computer is worth close to £15,000 to replace alone. It's a bit more powerful than we normally use, but we'd rather you too much than not enough. "

"Christ fifteen grand?" I say with my mouth staying open catching flies.

"Ok, James looks like Andrew is ready for you. Enjoy and don't forget to ask questions if you don't get anything or want to add anything."

"Wow thank you very much, Edward," I say rather more enthusiastically than I meant to, not cool. I walk over to Andrew, "looks like I'm with you now Andrew."

He looks at me for a second, then a smile spreads across his face. "That's good, it will give you an idea on how we work and how we work together." With that he turns, "follow me, James."

We walk out of one door and into the next. Inside is a smaller conference room with a large table surrounded by twenty-four chairs, around the outside of the room where groups of three chairs. Andrew goes to the corner and pours himself a coffee and then sits down at the head of the table.

He looks at me, "help yourself, James." I walked over and pick up a bottle of water as the first people walk in. They get a drink and then take a seat. I sit to the side waiting as the room slowly fills. The meeting starts with Andrew going over what the company has achieved over the last month. He then talks about possible projects for the future. He finishes and sits indicating to the person to his left to start his presentation. It takes almost an hour and three quarters to go through each project. I listened quietly as each person who has a project explains how they are progressing, and any problems they are having. Once they have presented their work that is projected onto the back wall, they open the floor for people around the table to put their ideas about any problems raised. I am amazed at the teamwork these people show and without any animosity towards each other. I can see no competition between the teams, only a will to get the job done.

A drawing of a tower block gets put up on the screen. A young woman with straight blond hair stands and walks to the front. She glances around looking a little nervous. "Good morning everyone." She starts, "Right, I've started on the concept level for a bid on a tower in Dubai. I'm only at the early stages but the client has stipulated some things, a large lobby at ground level, but also want the lower level to have a garden where prospective clients can be greeted. This garden has to be seen from the outside flowing in. My problem is that we are limited in space. Any ideas on top of what I have?"

I look at the beautiful building on the projection. The room stays silent for a moment. Someone near the back asks where the lobby is. She goes through the software walk-through that she has drawn, but to me, it looks was too crammed in.

I raise my hand, a smile comes across Andrew's face. The blond girl sees my hand. "Yes, James?"

"Umm. To me, it looks all to push into too smaller of an area."

"Yes I know that's my problem," she says rather exasperated.

Unperturbed I continued, "Well if it was me I would split the lobby and the garden. Have the lobby on the whole of the ground floor. Then have a sweeping staircase up to a raised garden level."

She paused to think, "yes, but they want the green seen from the street."

"You can split level the garden, use trailing plants and climbers oh walls, trees can grow through multiple levels without losing a whole lot of lobby. Bring the walls alive to add depth, even add a water feature that waters the plants as well. "

She's there now open-mouthed, I can see her going through the thought process. "Holy shit," she starts to say. "That will also increase the base's footprint. We'll enable to add extra floors and........." She blows out a breath. She now has a smile on her face. "Thank you, James. If you have time before you go, drop by and see what I come up with." I nod at her and she walks more confidently back to her seat. She was the last of the presentations and people started to go back to where ever they're meant to be.

Once everyone has gone Andrew turns to me, "Well done James, good start." He says with an impressed look. "So what do you think of this lot then?"

"I'm surprised they work so well together helping on different projects with no animosity," I said honestly.

Andrew Sampson laughed, "I think people here see that if someone struggles to get a good product out it will reflect on all of us."

Now Andrew has said that it seems so obvious. I agree and am sure I have the most stupid look on my face.

With that Andrew stands and grabs his jacket from near the door. "Come on, let's find your girlfriend and go get some grub."

Another thing I couldn't argue with. Although I hadn't realized how hungry I am until he mentions it. We stop at an office door. Andrew knocks and then walks in when he receives a response. Isabel is sat on a seat inside. Her face lights up as she sees me walk in, so I walk over and give her a quick peck on the lips.

The tall woman from before 'Natasha I think' stands and looks at Mr. Sampson, "Andrew, you have got to persuade Isabel to join us here."

"Wasn't that your job today Natasha?" He replies with a sly smile. Looking at Isabel for some kind of reaction.

"Ahh, this one is a tough cookie, she hasn't given an inch yet," Natasha replies with a sideways glance towards a smiling Isabel.

"Well sorry to say, Natasha, we have to whisk her away for some lunch. We will have to rely on Edward to soften her up for you this afternoon." With that Isabel stands and goes over and shakes Natasha's hand. Isabela is first to exit the room followed by Andrew then myself. We make our way back down to the reception, where a couple of others are waiting. Shortly after Edward joins us, and we make our way towards the town center.

We have our lunch in a small Italian restaurant. Isabel stays close to me and we sit together at a large table. The owners of the restaurant must have rearranged the seating just for us. We have a good meal and I keep getting asked questions about being hit by the car. So I tell the story leaving out the bit that Isabel was pissed at me. Then Isabel takes over once I get to the part where the car hit me. I am looking at everyone's face as she tells them and everyone is mesmerized by it. Once we finish the questions about that dry up and move on to my Kendo. Isabel lets slip about our last trip to Exeter and what happened with the Idiot in the nightclub, followed by the Student's Union. I see some raised eyebrows between Andrew and Edward. So I reassured them that was the only real fight that I had been involved in and it had only happened because I was defending the girls. Isabel overheard what I said and reinforced what the guy had done before I had hit him.

123456...8