It Started at the Red Cross

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I conveyed my conversation with Janet when she called, and asked if she could meet tomorrow morning. I'd drive her there. Janet wanted a summary of her and her parents' income for the past three years, not a full FAFSA form, not tax returns, but just a summary and a copy of her high school transcript if she could get it today. Abby put me on hold while she spoke to her mother.

Mary picked up the phone and asked why was I doing this.

I explained the same reasons I had given to Janet about her extraordinary daughter, an opinion based on 20 years' experience with Bowdoin students. I further stated that it was an opportunity for Abby that I could help facilitate. A friend of mine was the Dean of Admissions and was receptive to an on-campus interview. The Dean thought that there would most likely be some financial aid available.

That seemed to satisfy Mary. After Abby said that she'd get what Janet requested, I arranged to pick her up at her home tomorrow morning at 7:45.

Tuesday, April 18

Sharon

Abby asked, "Not that I'm complaining, but how can we bypass FAFSA? That form is daunting and time consuming.

"Bowdoin is a private college and the Dean of Admissions has some latitude in candidate selection."

"I'm still concerned about taking on a huge debt."

"Bowdoin only extends grants, not loans if they do offer you Financial Aid."

We arrived at Bowdoin and found a parking spot.

I said, "I'll introduce you to Janet, then wait for you in the Student Union Cafe in that building over there,"

"I'm nervous as hell."

"Relax, Abby, you deal with all kinds of people on a daily basis. You're dressed appropriately, have an excellent high school record, and a great backstory. You'll do just fine."

*****

Abby walked into the Student Union wearing a huge grin ninety minutes later. "I can't believe that I'm starting at Bowdoin in the fall! Janet offered 75% financial aid my first year. It will increase to a full scholarship the next three years provided I meet certain academic levels, and maintain those levels. I don't know how to thank you, Sharon."

"Just invite me to your graduation."

Abby asked me to drop her off at Mary's once we arrived in Portland. "I usually ride with Mom as parking is at a premium. I always keep extra clothes to change into at work, just in case." She said, "You have no idea how exciting this is," as she was getting out of my car. "Thank you so much. I need to go tell Mom." Abby was practically skipping to the front door.

I called Janet to thank her when I got home.

"I never told you that my family owned a diner, in fact, still do. I spent all my spare time as a teen working there. My high school guidance counselor encouraged and helped me apply to BU. She also helped me apply for financial aid. Abby's story felt very personal to me. The fact that she's a Maine resident also worked in her favor. I was happy to help her."

Thursday, April 20 Evening

Greg

"Hello, Sharon?..... Greg. Michael, Abby's dad, cornered me at work today and told me what you did for her. We've all been encouraging her to go back to school, to no avail. Just a huge thank you from all of us...... She just needed a little push from the outside...... Mary has invited us to a dinner on Sunday evening. I'm assuming that it may be a celebration of some sort. Are you available?..... Good. Good. May I pick you up at 6:45?..... I'll see you then. Bye.

Sunday, April 23 6:45 PM

Sharon

Today was one of those delightful spring days, with a high around 70. I decided to wear one of my favorite spring dresses after looking through my closet: A mid-calf number in a darkish teal, covered with stylized small white flowers. It has short sleeves, shirring at the waist, a moderate flair to the hem, and, coupled with the right bra, a flattering scoop bust line. I paired it with a simple white shawl, large hoop earrings and comfortable dressy loafers with a modest heel. Taking a last look in my mirror, I thought I looked pretty good for 65.

Greg seemed to agree, because his first words were, "You look beautiful, Sharon." His attire was understated: gray slacks and a navy-blue shirt. We headed out to Mary's Pub.

The Hostess, Rachael, greeted us with, "Right this way, Mr. McMullen," and led us to a private room. A round table was set for five with Abby and a man introduced as 'Michael' already seated.

"Mom will be out to join us in a minute. She's planned this meal, done the prep, but is leaving it to Maria, our Sous Chef, to finish."

Mary came bustling into the room, wearing a dress rather than her chef's clothes and sat next to me. Our server, a young woman in her early twenties, introduced herself as Kelsey, opened a bottle of Champagne, and poured us each a drink. I noticed that the flutes were on the smaller side. Good. I didn't want to drink too much or too fast.

Mary stood up and said, "We're here to celebrate Abby's acceptance to Bowdoin. Michael, Greg, and I have been encouraging her to go. Thank you for the push you gave her, Sharon." I could see Abby blushing. "Please relay our heartfelt thanks to your friend, the Dean."

"I already thanked her for agreeing to meet with Abby, but it was Abby's hard work in school, here during Covid, and generally thoughtful and pleasant demeanor during the interview that was the deciding factor." I kept Janet's similar family background to myself, as a matter of privacy.

Mary raised her glass and continued, "Abigail Burgess, may you thrive during your studies at Bowdoin. Study hard, but take time to relax and appreciate the experience."

Kelsey brought out soup served in an espresso cup, with a swirl of white and chopped greens floating on top. Mary explained, "The Amuse-Bouche is roasted butternut squash, a hint of cinnamon, topped with sour cream and cilantro. Enjoy!"

A small scoop of palate cleansing lemon sorbet was served, followed by a salad. "This is a Mexican watermelon salad. Watermelon, spices, Cotija cheese, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime."

The entrée was presented after the salad course was cleared and another serving of sorbet. "This is Julia Child's recipe for Lobster Thermador, taken directly from her 1968 The French Chef Cookbook. It's rich, decadent, elegant, and too good to change a single thing." It was served with fresh asparagus spears. The dessert was a light avocado chocolate mousse.

Greg and I prepared to leave once the dessert was finished and after dinner espresso was savored. I said, "I know you will do well, Abby. I second what your mom said, remember to enjoy your college experience. That was by far the best meal I can ever remember having, Mary. Thank you for inviting me to this celebration."

Greg chimed in with, "You outdid yourself tonight, Mary. I join Sharon in thanking you for inviting us."

We departed on that note.

Greg

Sharon invited me in for tea again. I was so pleased when Michael told me how she had orchestrated Abby's meeting with the Dean. I was also impressed how she downplayed her role while focusing on Abby.

"I've had the good fortune to have experienced many delicious meals at Mary's, but tonight was exceptional, even by her standards. Changing the subject a little, were you a fan of Simon and Garfunkel?"

"I was young when they were at their peak, but my parents loved them, so I was frequently exposed to their music, so yes."

"Art Garfunkel is appearing at the State Theater, Wednesday, May 3rd."

"I read that it's sold out."

"True, but I have a pair of tickets if you would care to join me."

"I'd like that. Very much. Showtime?"

"8:00. With parking, we should be downtown by 7:30. Let me make dinner reservations for 6:00."

"Why don't you come here for dinner? While I'm not on Mary's level, I am a decent cook."

"I'd like that."

"Why don't you aim for 6:30. Any restrictions or items I should avoid?"

"No." We chatted some more while we finished our tea. For the first time in years, I found myself contemplating entering into a relationship. I stood up to leave and, as we were saying our goodbyes at the door, I felt the urge to hug her. I could feel nascent emotions beginning to make themselves felt for the first time since Ellie died, and wasn't sure how to respond to them. I restrained myself since I hadn't dated anyone since I first met Ellie, and had no idea what the current dating protocols are, so I departed.

Sharon

As Greg was preparing to leave, I saw him hesitate and felt that he was going to say or do something. I wished that he had.

Wednesday May 3 5:45 PM

Sharon

I decided to wear khaki slacks and a simple blouse since I had to cook, both of which I could easily protect with my apron.

I had a simple garden salad all prepared and started cooking the main dish, a shitake mushroom and shrimp risotto. It was nearly done when Greg arrived. I let him in and led him to the kitchen.

"I'm preparing risotto, but it needs rather constant attention, lots of stirring. It should be only another 5 minutes or so. Sit and relax at the island if you want."

Greg complimented me on the meal when we finished. "That was excellent, Sharon. Thanks."

After its share of ups and downs, the State Theater was attentively restored to its former glory. Portland is lucky to have it and the Merrill Auditorium as two outstanding live performance venues. Art Garfunkel put on a brilliant performance to an appreciative audience and received a long-standing ovation for his efforts.

I invited Greg in once we arrived home. "Would you care to join me in a glass of wine? I didn't want wine prior to the show, but have a decent Cab if you're interested." I poured two glasses and joined him on the couch. "Thank you for inviting me. I've always liked Art's voice. 'For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her' is my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song, as well as my favorite Art Garfunkel song. I was amazed how well he can still sing it, particularly the last couple of lines. They always get to me."

"I love many of their songs, but can't disagree with you. "For Emily" is beautiful."

"Our seats were wonderful, third row center. It was such an intimate feeling, with him right in front of us. How did you ever manage to get those seats?" I'm afraid I embarrassed him, as he looked uncomfortable.

"I, uh, am on the Board of the State. I purchase an annual subscription to each show for those two seats and two more mid-theater every year. I usually only attend one or two shows a year. I give the rest of the tickets to my employees, a little perk if you will."

"That's a wonderful idea, Greg, but how do you do that without being seen as playing favorites?"

"Easily. We list the events available for the following month in the first paycheck of each month. Any employee who's interested has 10 days to contact HR. We do a random drawing for each event and post the results in the second paycheck. It's all very transparent and has worked well for us. Winners of tickets are ineligible for a rolling 12-month period."

"Doesn't that get rather expensive?"

"Yes and no. Strictly looking at it as a cash outlay, yes, it's a lot of money. Some of our positions require highly skilled workers who often still need a fair amount of training after we hire them. We pay above average wages, have decent benefits, including profit sharing. We have highly productive employees with very low turnover as a result. I'm convinced that both our company and our employees come out ahead."

We engaged in some more small talk and finished our wine. Greg stood up to leave. "I've enjoyed tonight. I'd like to get together again."

"I'd also like that." He did pull me into a lingering hug this time, eventually releasing me and departing.

I contemplated this evening and what I've learned about him after he left. He regularly gives platelets, helping unknown cancer patients. He treats his employees well. Recognizing her potential, he encouraged Mary and helped her survive the pandemic.

I was impressed that he grew a one-man shop to employing 1,000 people. It is the independent small businesses like his that drive our economy. Abby said that he was modest, which his actions with me confirm. Hell, he drives the same 5 or 6-year-old Subaru Outback that I do. I suppose that makes a statement in Maine.

*****

He's taking the slow approach, if there's something happening between us, always the gentleman. The flowers were nice, it took him until the third date to hug me, and even then, it was chaste. I sort of expected to feel him against me, but didn't.

The thought struck me that maybe he can't at his age. That would be a shame if true. While I haven't had sex since Jeff divorced me, I still have the normal urges that any healthy woman has. While I have a couple of electronic gadgets that can and do induce orgasms, it's not the same as a real live penis attached to your lover. I'll just have to take things into my own hands if he doesn't make the first move next time we're together.

Later that evening

Greg

Meeting Sharon has turned out to be an intriguing adventure. The happenstance of our chance meeting removed the expectations inherent in an arranged date, whether precipitated by others or of one's own actions. I enjoy her company and find our evenings together quite comfortable. Being comfortable is something to be savored and appreciated at my age.

Sharon is strikingly unpretentious. She's clearly an intelligent woman, content with who she is. She is willing to speak out about and even act on things that she sees as important. Helping Abby, a young woman whom she had barely met, get admitted to Bowdoin is a testimony to her unselfish willingness to help others.

I find myself contemplating what character attributes I'd like in a woman if I wanted to enter into a relationship at my age. Sharon fits the bill. One important consideration, to me at least, is that she's around my age. I know many men, her ex for example, want a younger woman. Ego? Maybe. I can't imagine being in a relationship with someone not at the similar stage in life, who hasn't shared similar life experiences. Whether raising a family, living through the same social and political upheavals, the ever-evolving fields of music and entertainment, and now, the age of the internet, I can't imagine having much common ground with someone several decades younger.

While the many young folks believe that they've cornered the market on beauty, the beauty of youth is fleeting. It takes one of a similar age to appreciate the deeper beauty that a woman develops as she ages. Sharon is a very attractive woman to me, and no, that's not qualified by 'for her age'.

The one area where I'm unsure of myself in a potential relationship with her is sex. I have no idea whether or not she may be interested. The way she looks at me as we say goodbye, and by the way she returned my hug tonight implies to me that she may be.

It's been almost 4 years since Ellie died and we hadn't had sex for some time before that, so it's been a while for me. I am just now realizing how much I miss the intimacy of sleeping with a partner. I don't want to potentially ruin a budding relationship by bringing up sex, but there's only one way to find out. Maybe she's as hesitant as I am.

Assuming that she is interested, I'm having a little bit of performance anxiety. My annual prostate exam is next Tuesday. Maybe I should ask Dr. Jackson about Viagra or Cialis.

Friday, May 5 7:30 PM

Sharon

The forecast for this weekend's weather is supposed to be for two delightful mid-spring days. I decided to call Greg to see if we could take advantage of them. "I realize that it's short notice, Greg, but do you have any plans for this weekend?"

"Saturday is my granddaughter, Emily's, birthday. She's going to be six so there's going to be a party for family and friends. Kind of a big deal at that age, but I have no plans for Sunday. What did you have in mind?"

"The forecast is supposed to be the kind you live for, clear with highs in the mid-70s. I was planning to take advantage and get outside. Do you by any chance have a bike?" After receiving a positive response, I said, "I was thinking about going out to Peaks Island. I have no particular plans, just intend to enjoy the day."

"I'd love to join you. What time?"

"The ferry departs hourly on the 15s. I was thinking the 11:15. Casco Bay Lines suggests arriving 30 minutes early."

"I'll pick you up at 10:15. My bike carrier will hold both our bikes."

"I'll make a picnic lunch. Greg, I'm looking forward to this."

Sunday, May 7 10:10 AM

Sharon

I had put our lunch and drinks in my paniers. We loaded my bike and headed for Portland. We had a minor disagreement over who should pay for the ferry tickets.

"You purchased the Art Garfunkel tickets. It's my turn and these aren't even close to the value of that experience."

"As you wish, but we are not in a competition here. I expect to enjoy the experience today as much as I did the time we spent together Wednesday night."

"Agreed that it's not a competition, nor do I want one. You did treat me to that lovely meal at Mary's as well as the evening at The State. I appreciate those experiences, the flowers you brought, and the fact that you're a gentleman. Today was my idea. I don't want you to feel this relationship, if that's what's happening between us, to feel unbalanced."

Greg pulled me into a hug and said, "It's not unbalanced. I truly have enjoyed our time together so far. I'm in uncharted territory and definitely want to see where we go from here."

The hug felt good and his words sounded encouraging. My not very firm plan was to bike around the perimeter of the island, staying as close to shore as the roads would allow. Greg seconded this. When we arrived at Peaks Island we headed south until we eventually connected to Seashore Ave. We rode to Whaleback Ledge where we stopped for lunch. Afterwards, we continued on around the island, stopping to enjoy the scenery, eventually taking the return ferry and arriving at my home late in the afternoon.

"Would you like to come in for some tea, coffee, or wine?"

"Any of those would be fine."

I poured us a glass of Zin since it was after 5:00. We sat next to each other on the couch. I asked, "Where do you see us going, Greg?"

Greg

That is a question that I've pondered myself. I like Sharon, have enjoyed and now value the time we spend together. I think that I'm ready to move on. "I like you. I want to continue doing things with you, seeing more of you."

Sharon

The first part of that was what I wanted to hear. I do wonder if 'seeing more of you' was a double entendre, a Freudian slip, or just referred to dating. I certainly can arrange for him to see all of me. No sense beating around the bush, so here goes.

"I also like you and would like to spend more time with you. I don't want to be pushy, but I know what I'd like, and I'd like to do it with you. We arrive here from very different histories; I had a cheating husband while you had to cope with Ellie's disease and death. It is not my intention to disrespect her memory, nor to pressure you into engaging in anything you're not ready for yet."

"Having said that, I miss the physical intimacy of a relationship. I always enjoyed sex, but I haven't found anyone with whom I'd like to have sex since my divorce, until now. I miss sex but also miss the warmth and affection of sleeping with someone, cuddling before falling asleep or after waking up, and enjoying breakfast together"