It Started at the Red Cross

Story Info
A chance meeting develops into a new relationship.
12.1k words
4.69
4.7k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It Started at the Red Cross

This story features the appreciation of a mature relationship that slowly builds over time, as real relationships do. Yes, folks, your parents and grandparents can become romantic, and, close your eyes and cover your ears, they might even have sex. It's probably best to look elsewhere if this genre is not your thing. Otherwise, enjoy!

Although several real places are integral to this story, everything and all characters portrayed in this story are a product of my imagination. It was conceived, written, and edited by real live humans. No AI involved.

Bowdoin College, referenced herein, is a top academic institution with many illustrious graduates. I have no connection to Bowdoin and the Dean of Admissions in the story is fictional.

My gratitude and thanks to both my anonymous friend and Pepere for their editing skills and perceptive suggestions. Any and all errors are mine and mine alone.

Portland, Maine The Red Cross Blood Donation Center

Monday, April 10, 2023 8:47 AM

Greg

I was waiting to be called for my nine o'clock appointment when a well-dressed woman about my age sat down next to me.

"Hi, I'm Sharon. May I ask you a question?"

"Greg. Ask away."

"This is my first-time giving blood. I noticed some of the staff greeting you by name. I assume that you're a regular here?"

I chuckled. "Yes, pretty regular. Barring any conflicts, I have a standing appointment every other Monday at 9:00. I give platelets and plasma."

"Is that different from giving blood?"

"Unlike donating whole blood, where they take a pint of blood out of your arm and you're done, in a platelet donation, blood is taken out of one arm, run through a centrifuge, the platelets and plasma are separated and the rest is returned in your other arm. The other big difference is that it takes about three hours, including setup and a few minutes in the canteen afterwards. Not everybody can spare that amount of time. I'm semi-retired and own my company, so I can. You can also donate platelets more frequently than whole blood."

I sensed the apprehension in her voice as she asked, "What I really wanted to know was if you do anything special to prepare?"

Trying to relax her, I responded, "It's simple, Sharon, just eat a regular meal a couple of hours before your appointment and arrive well-hydrated. Drink extra water or juices afterwards to keep yourself fully hydrated."

"I'm just a little nervous, that's all."

Melissa approached us. "Ready to go, Greg?"

I said, "Don't be nervous, Sharon," as I got up to leave. "All the staff here is very good at their jobs. You'll be fine. Think about the unknown person you'll be helping. It's a good feeling."

April 10, 2023 10:15 AM

Greg

I was about half way through my donation when Sharon approached.

"How are you feeling, Sharon? Did all go well?"

"Yes, thank you. You were right, the staff here is very good. I barely felt the needle prick. It may be presumptuous of me, Greg, but would you like to join me for lunch after you're finished?"

"I unfortunately have a meeting shortly after I'm done here, but I'd be delighted to join you another day. I'll give you my number. Send me a text and I'll call you this evening."

She smiled at my response, got out her phone and entered my number as I gave it to her. I felt my phone vibrate with her text shortly thereafter.

April 10 Evening

Greg

My wife, Ellie, had breast cancer and died a few years ago. I immersed myself in my business as a coping mechanism. I am now 68 and slowly turning more and more of my responsibilities over to the two of my kids who work with me. Kids? Christina, Chris, 38, was always a numbers girl and is CFO and heir apparent to become CEO when I retire. Patrick, Pat, 40, heads manufacturing. Adam, 43, is an attorney, and while he technically doesn't work for the company, we rely on his expertise as needed.

The first year after Ellie died was rough. I managed to stay focused during the day by staying busy at work. Returning to my big empty house in the evening was the hard part. I gradually moved past that melancholy era by engaging in activities that I enjoy.

Various friends, acquaintances, and even my own daughter, used a variety of subterfuges to choreograph 'spontaneous' meetings with women, generally either recently divorced or widowed. Maybe it was survivor's guilt, but I just wasn't interested.

One of the last conversations I had with my wife is firmly embedded in my consciousness. I remember it as if it was yesterday. Ellie said to me,

"We both know that I don't haven't much longer here, Greg. I can't imagine you with another woman. I just can't, but do you remember when I was pregnant with Adam? We agreed that the survivor would move on if one of us died. Our child or children would need two parents. Well, they don't need parents now, but you shouldn't spend the rest of your life alone. You're still relatively young and healthy. Mourn for me after I pass for as long as you need to, but you eventually need to move on."

I did mourn for her. I still miss her, especially around certain dates; her birthday, our anniversary, and the date she died. I've gradually embraced the idea of meeting a woman and starting a relationship with her but how? The idea of online dating frightens me. I'm not a churchgoer, I've never been one to hang out in bars. I was at a point in my life where I was receptive to meeting someone. Running into Sharon at the Red Cross this morning was very unexpected. I'm not sure why I had such a positive response to her, but I was willing to call and see where this may go.

"Sharon? Greg McMullen here...... My lunch times are often tied up with meetings, scheduled or otherwise...... No, it was a nice idea. However, my evenings are usually free. Instead of lunch, would you be interested in dinner some night?..... Are you familiar with Mary's Pub in the Old Port?..... It's fairly small, quiet enough so you can have a conversation, the food's a blend of typical pub grub, but with several very good, somewhat upscale choices. Like most places, it tends to be busiest on Fridays and Saturdays, so I'd suggest any other evening...... Thursday sounds good. If 7:30 works for you, I'll make a reservation. Would you like me to pick you up, or meet there?" She gave me an address in Cape Elizabeth. "I'll make a reservation and pick you up at 7:00...... I'm looking forward to it also. Bye."

I was quite surprised by how the day had turned out. I didn't expect to have a date for Thursday when I got up this morning. I called Mary's to make a reservation and then texted a confirmation to Sharon.

*****

Sharon

I'm not sure why I sat next to Greg this morning, even less sure why I asked him to lunch, as I was not usually so forward. I didn't really expect him to call although he gave me his cell number, and was pleasantly surprised when he did. Maybe more surprising was being asked out for a dinner at a restaurant 'with upscale choices'.

I was married for 32 years when Jeff, my now ex-husband, announced he wanted a divorce. I didn't see it coming, but he married his 26-year-old executive assistant within two months after the divorce become finalized. The baby came four months later. I came out okay financially, as I got the house and half of the other assets. I sold the big house as our three kids were all adults and settled in with their own families, and bought a much smaller one in Cape Elizabeth.

I'm a librarian at Southern Maine Community College. The South Portland Campus is a beautiful location on the water with the Breakwater Marina and the Spring Point Ledge lighthouse, the only caisson-style light station in the United States that visitors can walk to. The drive to work is only about 15 minutes.

Friends initially encouraged me to date after the divorce, and tried to set me up with singles they knew. I did go on a few dates and realized that I wasn't interested. My friends eventually stopped with their matchmaking activities.

I recently turned 65 and have reduced my hours from full time to three days a week. I also made myself available to fill in when someone is sick, on vacation, or were otherwise unable to work.

The meal at Mary's Pub will be my first date in a long time. I find myself excited at the prospect. I wonder what people our age do on first dates?

Thursday, April 13 7:00 PM

Sharon

Even though it had reached 50 degrees today, it had already dropped to 42, and Mary's was on the waterfront. Anticipating that it would be in the 30s when we finished dinner, I elected to wear pants but paired them with a nice silk blouse. I was looking forward to tonight and the anticipation brought back memories from a long time ago. My intervening experiences gave me an expectation more grounded in reality. The prospect of a date with a seemingly nice person still excited me.

I saw Greg's car lights turn into my driveway, but waited for the doorbell to ring before approaching and opening the door. He handed me a bouquet of mixed flowers and colors, saying, "I don't know if flowers are socially appropriate anymore, but they used to be."

Surprised, but delighted, I exclaimed, "They're lovely, Greg. Thank you. I appreciate old fashioned chivalry. Let me put them in a vase."

He seemed relieved at my reaction. I found a vase, quickly arranged them, got my jacket from the closet, and was ready to leave.

*****

We parked in a nearby garage and walked to Mary's. The hostess looked up as we entered, ran to Greg, and gave him a big hug.

"I saw that you had reservations tonight, Uncle Greg. It's so good to see you." She backed off a bit, looked at me, smiled, and said, "Welcome to Mary's. I'm Abby. Let me show you to your table." She handed us the menus and continued, "Can I get you anything to drink?"

"Give us a minute, Abby."

"I'll let Mom know that you're here." She left us to look over the menu.

"I gather with that greeting that you didn't randomly pick this restaurant."

"No, and the 'Uncle' is an honorific. I've known her since she was a baby. Abby's dad works for me. I encouraged her mom, Mary, to start this restaurant. While I don't come too often, it is one of my favorites. What would you like to drink?"

Good question. "I assume that I may be having fish, maybe a glass of white wine?"

A woman burst out of the kitchen, definitely an older version of Abby.

"It's been too long, Greg," she said as she gave him a hug. Like mother, like daughter.

"Nonsense, Mary. I had a luncheon meeting here a couple of weeks ago."

"Lunches don't count. Introduce me to your friend, Greg."

Looking embarrassed, he made the introductions.

Mary announced, "I have some beautiful red snapper fresh off the boat this afternoon."

They both looked at me.

"I'd be a fool not to agree if the Chef suggests something," I answered with my friendliest smile.

She smiled right back, "I already like you. Have you ordered a drink yet? I have a lovely Pinot Grigio that pairs nicely with it."

We both agreed. How could we not?

"Done. Baked snapper, a side of green beans with cashews, and Pinot Grigio. I'll have Abby bring out some fresh rolls." She disappeared back into the kitchen.

"Wow! She's a force of nature."

"That she is, and she's a remarkably talented Chef, C.I.A. trained."

"C.I.A.?"

"Culinary Institute of America. She was working as a Sous Chef in a local restaurant where her talents were underappreciated. Her husband, Michael, is a very long-time employee of mine. We were talking at lunch one day when he mentioned the frustrations that Mary was having at her job. Long story short, she opened this place 10 years ago and hasn't looked back. She survived Covid by converting to all take-out during the lockdown. The fact that she's such a good chef, had a large and loyal following, and her prices have always been reasonable, allowed her persevere when so many other restaurants closed."

Abby brought the wine out and Greg and I engaged in the traditional getting to know you question and answer routine of first dates. Mary herself brought our meal out. The snapper was moist and tender, bathed in a light cream sauce. The beans were fresh, crisp, and enhanced with cashews in a soy garlic sauce.

We declined dessert and coffee when Abby asked, however Greg said, "Tell your mom that it was delicious, as usual."

Abby responded with, "You should know how the system works by now," as she left when Greg asked for the bill. Greg slipped a $100 bill under his plate and we started back to his car.

"Please enlighten me regarding your relationship with Abby and Mary."

"It's a long story, but I assure you that it's all on the up and up."

"The evening is still young. Why don't you come in for some coffee or tea and when we get to my place."

*****

Greg

I debated how best to explain the evening's events while Sharon made some tea. Sharon said,

"I don't want to intrude into your personal life where I shouldn't, but your interactions with Abby and Mary certainly were interesting," after we settled in the living room.

"Mary's husband, Michael, works for my company. He started as a truck driver and has worked with me for over twenty years now. He's a valuable employee and friend, and is now head of Logistics. I met Mary at one of the company Christmas parties and learned that she was a chef. I was having lunch with Michael sometime afterwards, when he divulged Mary's frustrations at work. That conversation resulted in a dinner invitation to their place for Ellie and me. Needless to say, we were blown away by her four-course dinner. I, uh, own the building that Mary's is in."

"Own?"

"Well, after several long discussions, and understanding and appreciating the experience that Mary had as a chef, I agreed to fit up the space as a restaurant and lease it to her. She's been there over 10 years now."

"How does Abby fit in, since she addresses you as 'Uncle'?"

"I've known Abby since she was a child. She's hung around the restaurant since she was a middle teen, eventually working there part-time after school and summers. Both her parents restricted her hours so that she could concentrate on school. She wanted to attend Bowdoin, but decided to work a year to get a little money saved up. She graduated from high school just as Covid hit. While Mary's survived, money was very tight and Abby couldn't justify the college expense with the world's economy so unstable. She now thinks that she's too old. I personally think she should apply and go.

"Mary refuses to charge me for dinner. I just tuck a $100 under the plate and hope that it ends up in Abby's college fund."

Sharon

We moved on to other topics. Greg eventually said, "I've really enjoyed tonight, Sharon. It's getting late and I should leave, but I'd like to get together again."

"I'd like that too. Call me and we'll plan an outing."

Greg left shortly thereafter.

Friday, April 14 2:30 PM

Sharon

I went back to Mary's the next afternoon, hopefully late enough to be after the noon rush. Abby was at the hostess stand again.

"Back so soon, Sharon? Let me seat you and take your order."

"I actually came to see you. Do you have a couple of minutes and a place where we can talk?"

She gave me a puzzled look, then asked one of the servers to act as host and led me to a back corner table. "What's on your mind?" she cautiously asked.

"Your and your mother's interactions with Greg last night clearly raised some questions in my mind. Greg reluctantly explained the relationship. He also explained how Covid interrupted your college plans. Would you like to go to Bowdoin if you had the opportunity, Abby?"

She pondered the question and asked, "Why are you asking me this?"

"I realize that I don't know you, and it's probably none of my business, but it's obvious that Greg cares about you and your family. I worked in the library at Bowdoin for over twenty years. I moved to the library at Southern Maine Community College to cut down on my commute three years ago. I still keep in contact with my old friends at Bowdoin, including my good friend Janet Cushing, the Dean of Admissions. I'd be happy to contact her on your behalf."

Abby's response was not immediate as she considered how to respond. "How well do you know Greg?"

I explained about meeting him at the Red Cross and that last night was our first date. "He related how he coped with Ellie's death by immersing himself at work, but described himself as semi-retired. He doesn't know I'm here, by the way."

"You're the first date he's had since Aunt Ellie died, as far as I know. That says a lot about you." She then chuckled, "Semi-retired probably means working only 40 hours a week instead of 60 or more."

"He told me that he owns his own company, but didn't elaborate."

She laughed out loud this time. "Of course he didn't. Greg is very modest. He started as a one-man machine shop. It's now called Casco Fabrication Technology. He has over 1,000 employees at two locations. While they still do traditional machining jobs, both large and small, he's invested heavily in CAD, CNC, and 3-D printing technologies, stuff that is very high tech and I really don't understand, so I'm not going to try to explain them to you.."

"I had no idea. Getting back to my original reason for coming here today, would you like me to contact my friend, the Dean, on your behalf?"

Abby's face took on a puzzled but thoughtful look. It was obvious that she needed some time to consider her thoughts before responding. "If the question is 'Would I like to attend Bowdoin', the answer is yes. The reality is that I know we can't afford it now. The restaurant took a big financial hit during the pandemic. We would have closed like so many other restaurants if it wasn't for Dad's job and Greg suspending rent payments for most of the lockdown."

"What were your grades like?"

"I graduated tenth in my class of 240."

"That's in the top 5%. Extracurriculars?"

"Supporting roles in two plays, sax in the jazz band, starting pitcher on the softball team. I worked here, so there was not a lot of spare time."

"I'd like to talk with Janet with your permission. I believe that Bowdoin may look favorably at you as an applicant with those credentials and your backstory of helping your mom's business survive the pandemic."

"Go ahead, but there's still the financial issue."

"Let me see what may be available."

I called Janet when I returned home. After exchanging pleasantries, I arranged to meet with her at 9:00 AM on Monday.

Monday, April 17

Sharon

I met with Janet and conveyed all I knew about Abby.

"How do you know her?"

"I only recently met her. She's a friend of a friend. I've worked with young people all my life. You sometimes just recognize talent or ability that's been suppressed by one's life situation, or events beyond their control. You, of all people, are aware that our young people will shape our future. I strongly believe that Abby deserves a chance to surmount the circumstances that Covid has thrust upon her. I realize that you probably see hundreds of others with similar stories. I've dealt with literally thousands of college students over the years. Abby just struck me as special."

Janet agreed to schedule an interview with Abby. She suggested meeting ASAP because it was already April. We set a tentative time for 9:00 AM tomorrow. I immediately called the restaurant and left a message asking Abby to call me when she got in.