It's Always Been You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Barely," I said, as she held my head while I sipped the cup of water she was giving me, "I think someone must've turned on the circuit that I'd red tagged. That's the only explanation that I can come up with."

"That's exactly what happened," said Gary Hennings, my boss, as he entered my hospital room, "And I had the dumb son-of-a-bitch that did it arrested and thrown off of the job site."

"Hey Gary," I said, "I'm really sorry about this."

"Don't sweat it, kid," he grinned, walking into my room and patting me on the shoulder, "How're you feeling, buddy?"

"I'm a little sore," I smiled, "But I'll be as good as new in a couple of days, and then I can go back to work."

"Oh, no you don't," he chuckled, "I want you to take as much time off as you need to get better. Your job will be waiting for you when you're well. I'm also going to promote you when you come back. You're going to be running things from now on."

"Thanks, boss," I smiled, "I really appreciate it."

"Don't worry about it, Mark," Gary replied grinning, "You're my best electrician and I'm not about to let you get away. Besides, with you running the job sites, I'll have more time to play golf."

"That figures," I laughed.

~~~~~~

Chapter Two

The fact that I had been electrocuted meant that my hands and feet had second degree burns, and my neuromuscular system was going to be a little out of sorts for a while; hence the reason my doctor explicitly ordered that I remain off from work for at least a month, maybe two.

Taylor and Abbey took turns staying with me at the hospital, and with the exception of using the bathroom, neither allowed me to do anything for myself. But still, I knew that they were there out of pure love and concern. Taylor would simply sit and talk with me or watch TV, only getting up to pour me water every now and then when I needed it. Abbey however, constantly made a fuss over me, doing things like making sure I was always comfortable, tucking me into the bed. Hell, she even tried to feed me once, but I simply smiled, and while thanking her, informed her that I was capable of doing it for myself. She took it all in stride, giving me a warm and tender smile every time she would do something for me.

~~~~~~

I'd been in the hospital for a little over a week, and on the day of my release; Taylor and Abbey were there to take me home. I wanted to go to my own house until my little sister let me know, in no uncertain terms, that I would be staying at her house until I was fully recovered. Even now Taylor can be unrelentingly stubborn once her mind is made up, and because she and Abbey had me outnumbered; I knew that my ass had been had so, I gave in. Besides, I didn't really feel like getting into a debate with them about it at the time anyway.

~~~~~~

I immediately knew that Taylor had gone to a lot of trouble for me when I arrived at her house. She'd given me the Master bedroom and moved into one of her two guest rooms while, of course, Abbey took the other one.

Once I was settled into my "new room", Taylor made me get into straight into bed, saying, "The Doctor said that you should rest so, that's what you're going to do." The look in her eyes told me that I had little choice in the matter and that to comply with her wishes would make things easier on me as opposed to what I'd have to deal with were I to refuse.

Still though, I decided to tease her like I used to when we were younger and said, "What're you, my mother now?"

I knew that I had messed up big time, when all of a sudden her sweet smile turned in to an angry glare as she yelled, "FUCK YOU, MARK. I'M TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF YOU, BUT IF YOU DON'T WANT IT, THEN YOU CAN KISS MY ASS AND GO BACK HOME, GOD DAMMIT," and when she was finished; she laid face down on the bed and began to cry uncontrollably.

"Aw Taylor," I said, sitting down on the bed, trying to console her, "I'm sorry, sweetie. I was only kidding and I didn't mean to upset you, I swear."

Suddenly I heard her giggle, and as she turned over to face me, the smile on her face let me know that I was forgiven as she replied, "Its okay big brother. I'm sorry, too. Sometimes I get too upset over the smallest of things."

"Ain't that the damn truth," giggled Abbey, as she stood in the doorway grinning.

"Oh, you shut up, girl," Taylor smiled, as Abbey walked into the room and sat down on the bed next to us.

"So," Abbey mischievously grinned, "Are you going to get into bed, Mark, or are we going to have to put you in bed?"

~~~~~~

The first few days at my sister's house where very comfortable for me. However, as the nerves in my hands and feet began to come back to life after being burned, there was also a feeling of pain like none I'd ever felt. Still though, Taylor called my doctor, who called in a prescription of painkillers to the local pharmacy, and then Abbey went and picked them up and brought them back to Taylor's house.

"Here Mark," smiled Abbey, as she handed me a pill, "This will take care of the pain, sweetie." I was in no mood whatsoever to argue, as both my hands, and feet were literally killing me. So, with no protest on my part, I swallowed the pill while Abbey held a cup of water to my lips to drink.

"Thanks, Abbey," I said, trying to be pleasant, "I really appreciate you helping me like this."

"Anytime, handsome," she sweetly grinned, "You need to try and get some rest and let that pain pill do its job." And like before, I most certainly wasn't in the mood to argue at that particular moment so, right after I had taken the medication, Abbey began to gently push me back down in the bed. After kicking off her shoes, she lay down beside me and slid tightly up against me. Then she slowly began to massage my temples while she softly said, "Go to sleep, Mark, and when you wake up; I'll be right here waiting for you." The sound of her voice began to lull me into slumber, and before too much longer, the burning in my hands, as well as my feet began to subside, leaving me on the very edge of slumber. However, right before I drifted off, I could've sworn that I felt someone softly kiss my lips. But then again, maybe I'd simply dreamed it.

~~~~~~

When I awoke it was dark outside, and when I looked over at the clock on the bedside table, I saw that it was four o'clock in the morning. Suddenly I heard someone softly breathing beside me, and out of reflex, I jumped out of the bed and quickly turned on the lamp that was on the bedside table beside the clock.

I saw Abbey laying there in the bed next to where I had been, her eyes closed and she was sound asleep. It was then that I took a moment to really look at her. God she was so beautiful. Her hair flowed all over her pillow, making it look as though she were floating on a sea of soft dark brown. I could smell her as she laid there, not that there was an odor, but merely a soft scent of something pure, tender and sweet. I quietly sat back down on the bed and simply stared at her. She'd fallen asleep above the covers in the same clothes she'd been wearing the day before, and I couldn't help but smile as my mind drifted back to the days when we were all younger.

I remembered how Abbey was always at our house, her and Taylor always going one place or another, always up to one thing or another. And in remembering those things; I also remembered how she always had a smile for me, and that she'd never once been anything but sweet to me, too. I guess I was too blinded by my own arrogance back then to see it, and the ground beneath the wall I'd built around my heart was quickly beginning to become unstable and shaky.

Suddenly she opened her eyes, and when she saw me sitting there, she brightly grinned. "Hi," she sleepily smiled, "What're you doing awake?"

"I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep," I teasingly replied, "What're you doing in my bed, don't you have a room of your own?"

"Oh hush," she gently said, "I was just looking after you and I fell asleep, that's all."

"Is that right?" I knowingly asked, still teasing her, "Well, I guess it's alright then."

My stomach chose to growl about that time, and in doing so, was rather loud, making Abbey softly giggle and say, "It sounds to me like you're hungry. Would you like me to fix you something to eat?"

"You don't have to do that, Abbey," I replied, "Besides, it's still very early in the morning and....."

"Mark," she smiled, interrupting me, "When are you gonna learn not to argue with me about these things?"

"Aw hell," I chuckled, relenting, "Never, I guess."

~~~~~~

Twenty minutes later I was treated to breakfast in bed as Abbey wouldn't allow me to leave it. She'd gone to a lot of trouble judging by all the different foods on my plate. Hell, she even brought me two ice cold glasses of both milk and orange juice.

"Thank you," I smiled, as she set the breakfast tray in my lap, "You didn't have to do this you know."

"Yes, I did," she smiled, "Now, eat before it gets cold."

"But why, Abbey?"

"Eat," she grinned, "Well talk about all that later." Needless to say, I did as I was told and ate everything on my plate. And when I was done, Abbey took it away, but not before she smiled and said, "You keep eating like that and you'll be out of this bed before you know it." And a few moments later I was asleep again after having my belly full of food.

~~~~~~

When I opened my eyes again I saw light coming through the windows, making me turn and look at the clock on the bedside table once more. It was nine in the morning and the first thought that came to mind was that I needed to get out of bed and use the bathroom because my bladder was telling me that I badly needed to pee.

After I'd finished using the bathroom, and it was a bit of a chore as my hands were bandaged, leaving only my thumb and forefinger on both hands exposed; I pulled my robe on over my pajamas, stepped into my slippers and then headed into the kitchen.

~~~~~~

"What in the hell are you doing out of bed," Taylor shrieked, as she and Abbey sat at the breakfast table drinking coffee and talking, "Are you out of your mind?"

I smiled and said, "I was just......." and then I heard a ringing in my ears as everything went black.

~~~~~~

When I opened my eyes again, I was flat on my back and the first two things I saw were Taylor and Abbey leaning over me with worried looks on both of their faces.

"Hi there," I smiled, as I tried to sit up.

Both of them placed their palms against my chest, and while they held me down, Taylor angrily said, "The doctor told me to see that you were to take it easy and stay still for the first few days that you were home. What in the FUCK were you thinking, getting out of bed?"

"Just who in the hell do you think you're talking to, God dammit?" I growled, now pissed off at Taylor for the way she was speaking to me, as well as the language she was using, "I'm a grown fucking man, and I'm perfectly capable of deciding whether or not I can get out of bed, thank you."

Once she saw that I wasn't hurt, Taylor smiled, and with Abbey giggling beside her, said, "If you're a grown man and can get out of bed, against doctor orders I might add, then how come you're lying flat on your ass because you passed out, huh?"

"Come on, tough guy," Abbey giggled, as she and Taylor helped me to sit up, "Let's get you back to bed."

"All I wanted was a cup of coffee, for fuck's sake," I grumbled, as I stood.

"Quit your whining, ya big baby," giggled Taylor, as she playfully swatted me on the ass.

~~~~~~

"Now," Taylor said, after I was back in the bed, "Abbey's coming back in here with some coffee for you. If you need anything she'll be right here with you today. I've got to make a couple of phone calls and then run a couple of errands. Do you think you can stay put until I get back?"

I was about to protest until Taylor sat down on the bed next to me and threw her arms around my neck and said, "Please, do this for me, Marky?"

I knew that she was worried when she called me that, as it was what she called me when we were little. And knowing that she was genuinely concerned for me, I simply hugged her back and softly replied, "Okay, baby girl."

"I love you, big brother," she smiled, as she hugged me, "I'd die if something happened to you so, you be good while I'm gone."

"Yes mother," I laughed, then blew a raspberry into the crook of her neck.

"MARK," she squealed, as she hopped up from the bed giggling, "I am SO going to kick your ass when you get well."

"Go ahead and try," I confidently smiled, "I'll give you a wedgey."

"Oh I don't think so," she replied, crossing her arms and raising her right eyebrow, "Those days are long gone, big brother."

"Really," I teased, "And just what on earth would make you think such a thing?"

With a devilish grin on her face, as well as totally shocking me, Taylor turned away from me and quickly dropped her sweat pants while exposing her almost bare ass, and giggled, "Because I wear thong underwear now, see?" and then just as quickly, pulled her pants back up.

"Jesus, Taylor," I said, embarrassed to no end, "Have you lost your mind?"

"I know that my ass looks good in a thong," she laughed, continuing her teasing, "But you really ought to see Abby in hers."

About that time Abbey appeared with a cup of coffee in her hand and suspiciously asked, "Ought to see my what?"

"I was telling Mark that your ass looks a whole lot better in thong underwear than mine ever did," giggled Taylor.

"Maybe," Abbey smiled, as she handed me the cup of coffee she'd brought, "Then again, you'll just have to wonder about it, won't you Mark?" and then she leaned down and placed a soft but very brief kiss on my lips, giggling as she and Taylor walked away, leaving me red-faced with embarrassment.

~~~~~~

My feet weren't burned nearly as bad as my hands, and because I was starting to get up around more, or should I say as soon as Taylor and Abbey allowed me to start getting up and around; I was becoming more able to use my hands. I was able to take showers, with my hands wrapped of course, and I could wash myself with no help. I certainly wasn't about to let Taylor or Abbey wash me. But it was still a very slow process, as the pain had not completely gone from my hands.

But, I was at least able to walk around and sit at the table with Taylor and Abbey to eat my meals now. Although I could easily use a fork and spoon, I still wasn't able to cut my own steak yet, but Abbey was right there to do it for me, always kissing me on the cheek once she'd finished. I was also finding out that the more time I spent around my sister and Abbey, the tempest that once raged within me had become more like a strong wind and less like a storm.

During the day while Taylor was working, Abbey and I would take walks around the house, in the yard, and on occasion, down the street that Taylor lived on. We talked about all kinds of things, and in doing so; I discovered what a truly brilliant woman Abbey had become. And while a part of me was more than thrilled to find out everything I could about this beautiful creature, another part of me was still somewhat terrified, still not quite ready to let go of the past just yet.

~~~~~~

A month had passed and I was pretty much able to do for myself now. Abbey had informed me the previous night that she'd been away from work for long enough and that the time had come that she needed to get back. She hadn't been very specific, but I think she told me that she was some kind of fitness instructor or something, and that explained why she was in such great shape.

Part of me hated to see her go, yet another part of me was relieved in a way that she was leaving. It's not that I didn't like Abbey, I did. Hell, she was almost like a family member because I'd known her for so long. But there was a part of me that was afraid of her in a way. It wasn't that I feared her physically; it was because I was afraid of how she was beginning to make me feel about her. And I sure as hell wasn't about to give any woman another chance to hurt me ever again so; maybe it was for the best that she was going back to work.

~~~~~~

"So, what do you think, Doc," I asked the doctor, at my follow up appointment, "Can I go back to work now?"

"Your hands and feet look like they've healed up nicely," he smiled, now that the bandages were off, "And you EKG results came back okay so, I guess you're cleared."

"Thanks, Doc," I grinned, as I put my clothes back on, "I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome," he smiled, shaking my hand, "You take care of yourself."

~~~~~~

"So, I guess this means that you're going back home then," Taylor sadly replied, at the news of my being medically cleared to go back to work.

"Yes," I excitedly replied, not thinking how this might affect her, "I've been away from work for too long now."

"I sure enjoyed your being here, Mark," she replied, a lone tear making its way down her cheek, "And I'm really going to miss you...a lot."

It suddenly dawned on me how this was affecting my baby sister, and throwing my arms around her, I smiled and said, "Aw, don't cry, Tay-Tay, (the name I gave her when we were very small) I promise not to be such a stranger ever again, I swear to God."

"You'd better not," she sniffled, burying her face into my chest, then giggled, "Or I'm gonna come out to your house and kick your ass."

~~~~~~

"Welcome back, Mark," Gary Hennings, my boss, said, the next morning at work, "How're ya feeling?"

"Are you kidding?" I grinned, "I'm ready to get back to work, man."

"That's what I like to hear," he chuckled, "Don't forget that you're gonna be running things now."

"Oh yeah, that's right, I almost forgot," I teased, "You've decided to keep banker's hours now. Shit man, I thought you were an electrician."

"Nah," he laughed, "I'm a contractor now, and my wife is tickled shitless that I'm going to be home more often."

"Whatever you say, Gary" I chuckled, "What ever you say."

No, seriously," he replied, "We've made a lot of money over the past eight years, Mark, and that's why you're going to be salaried now as opposed to being paid by the hour. Plus, I've made damn sure that your pay scale is now more than commensurate with your brilliant abilities."

"What do you mean, Gary?"

"What I mean is," he began, in a boyish giggle, "You're going to making seventy thousand dollars a year, now, instead of forty."

"Damn, Gary, "I replied, stunned at what he'd just told me, "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything, old friend," he smiled, as he patted my shoulder, "Do you remember when there was only you and me and that old Ford, step-side pick-up?"

"Sure, I do," I smiled, remembering those days, "Man, that was a long time ago."

"Yes, it was," he grinned, "And that's what I was talking about. You're just as much a part of this company as I am, and that's why I'm doing this. Besides; you were always better at running these jobs than I ever was."

"You're right about that shit," I laughed.

~~~~~~

The next morning found me in the office at nine o'clock, walking into what was now my office. I even had my own secretary, too. Her name was Tracy Walker, she was nineteen, going on twenty, and had just graduated from some secretarial school the past spring. She was a sweet kid and a very hard worker. Any time I needed a contract, material supply request, or inventory sheet, I knew that I would have waiting on my desk when I walked into the office that morning, or she would have it in my hands within seconds upon my asking her for it.

"Good morning, Mister Albertson," she politely greeted me in my office that first, morning, "My name is Tracy Walker, and I'll be your secretary, sir."

"Hi, Tracy, you can call me just plain old Mark," I kidded her, "And if I hear you call me 'Mister' or 'Sir' again, I'm not gonna invite you to the company Christmas party."