JAA Ch. 01: Aftermath

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fine, what do I do with my gun?"

"Leave it there and come out with your hands in the air, empty."

Michelle watched as two empty, dirty hands rose into the air from behind the bodies, followed by his head and the rest of him as he climbed to his feet. Michelle slowly rose so as not to startle the man too much. As he saw her rifle pointed at his head, his eyes widened and his fright was evident.

"She won't shoot unless you make a sudden move that she deems a danger to me," Luke told him.

Michelle noticed that he had blood, fresh blood on the side of his coat. As she watched, drops fell away from him.

"Hold on Luke, he's hurt." Michelle slung her rifle and unclipped her backpack. "Come here young man," Michelle said pointing to the stone in front of her.

The man walked slowly over and sat in front of Michelle. Freddy came up behind him and rested his rifle barrel on his shoulder.

"Don't try anything, I'll be right behind you." The man jumped in surprise.

"What are you going to do for me?" he questioned Michelle.

"I'm a doctor and I can help you. How long have you had that wound?" Michelle asked as she started to pull his clothing off so she could see his side.

"Just under a week, I was helping chop down a tree and was hit with an ax."

"You sure were," Michelle said as she finally got a look at the ugly gash to his ribs. "Oh my, you are a mess. Didn't you have anything to disinfect this with?"

"No ma'am, just water from melting snow."

"Okay, I really can't do anything for him here. We need to take him back with us or he is going to die. Call base and get a hummer out here, now."

"Yes, Ma'am. Bravo-two-niner to base."

"Base go two-niner."

"Base we need a hummer with a stretcher at grid four-charlie two klicks past."

"Affirmative two-niner, hummer is on the way. Out."

"Out. We have a hummer on the way, fifteen minutes."

"You guys are that close? Only two klicks away?"

"No, much farther than that, six klicks I should think," Michelle answered.

"But he said two klicks past."

"Yes, two klicks past grid four-charlie. Four-charlie is four clicks out from our base."

"Oh. Still, six klicks in fifteen minutes is pretty good time."

"Does your side hurt?"

"Not really, only when I move a certain way, it's just a dull ache that's always there now. There is a slight burning sensation."

"Infection has set in I'm afraid."

"Oh god, then I'm going to die."

"Not on my watch you won't. Now just relax until the hummer gets here."

"Why were you shooting at us?" Luke asked.

"You surprised Mike over there. He saw movement then guns and snapped a shot off before we could stop him."

"What were you doing out here?"

"Looking for food, we just got here not three weeks ago and needed more food for our group."

"How many?" Michelle asked.

"Twenty...eighteen now... "

"Where at? Do any of them need a doctor?"

"Two klicks east, in a little valley just north of the river and yes there are several who are sick and could use a doctor."

"We'll see what we can do about that after we get you fixed up."

"What about them?" He asked pointing at the two bodies of his friends.

"They are, unfortunately, dead. I'm sorry, but all I could see was their heads." Michelle told him.

"You shot them?"

"Not both, just one, Freddy shot the other one. I'm also in charge of this little patrol."

The sound of a hummer roaring down the road stopped all conversation. As it crested the rise in the road, it slowed dramatically when the driver caught sight of them. It skidded to a stop alongside Michelle. Susan jumped out as Mark exited the driver's side and headed to the back. Luke stepped over to the back of the hummer and helped Mark with the stretcher.

"What's up?" Susan asked as she bent looking at the wound oozing blood.

"He needs our help."

"What about those two over there?" Susan pointed behind the boulders.

"They are beyond our help, I'm afraid."

"Hey, buddy, what's your name?" Luke asked the stranger.

"Walter, Walter Cole."

"Walter Cole, get on this stretcher and we'll get you back to base." Luke helped him hobble over to the stretcher and lie down.

The rest climbed in the hummer and Mark backed and filled to get it turned around.

~~~ [time] ~~~

The trip back to base was uneventful, Susan and Michelle had Walter in the infirmary working on his wound.

"Soak that gauze in hydrogen peroxide, then put them on the wound. We'll put a piece of plastic over it to keep it from evaporating too fast and see how it looks later tonight."

As Michelle placed the soaked gauze on his wound Walter winced in pain. The reaction to the wound and blood was profound. The solution bubbled and fizzed energetically as Susan placed a sheet of plastic over the bubbling mass.

"That should clean all the little nasties out of the wound, now for the rest of your body." Susan stood there holding a syringe, ready to plunge it into his arm.

"What's that?" Walter asked.

"Penicillin, the only antibiotic we can manufacture ourselves."

"Oh. Ouch!"

Sue slowly pushed the medicine into Walter's vein. Michelle was ready with an alcohol swab and a band-aid as the needle was withdrawn from Walter's arm.

"Ashton," Sue called out. A young man appeared by her side as she finished dressing Walters wound.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Ashton, help Walter to room four so he can rest and get him some hot food and a cold drink."

"Yes, ma'am. Come on Walter lean on me and we'll get you all squared away." Ashton hefted Walter up off the examining table and onto his feet, then slowly walked him out of the infirmary and down the hall to room four.

Cappy came wandering into the infirmary as Ashton and Walter cleared the door looking behind him and almost ran into Susan.

"Sorry dear. Who wants to come with Waylon and me to check out his people?" Cappy asked pointing back over his shoulder at Walter.

"You can go, Sue, I want to stick around and keep an eye on Walter."

"Alright dear," Sue replied picking up her pack and following Cappy out the door of the infirmary.

The ride to Walter's camp was uneventful until they arrived. They were met with hostility and violence. Waylon backed down the valley almost as fast as they had arrived. Luckily, they had not faced any large caliber weapons, a couple of handguns and some shotguns. Their hummer was able to absorb the impacts without anyone being hurt or wounded.

"Well, that went well, next time..."

"There won't be a next time, I'm afraid," Cappy cut Sue off. "When Walter is well enough he can go back and anyone needing attention can come to us."

"But...never mind. You're right of course."

The drive back was quiet.

"I'll go tell Walter if that's okay with you Cappy?"

"No problem, go right ahead."

"Be gentle with him Susan," Waylon chuckled to himself.

"Do be quiet you overgrown ape," Sue laugh back.

"Finally, someone who appreciates my strengths," Waylon laughed.

Susan hurried in and up to the infirmary. Michelle met her at the door with a concerned look on her face.

"What's up?"

"Problems, terrible, horrible problems, is what," Susan told her as she dropped her pack at the door. Walking quickly to Walters's bed she stood staring at him with fire in her eyes. "What is wrong with you people? Strangers show up and the only thing you can do is fucking shot at them? Why? Has mankind sunk so low as not to be trusted?"

"They didn't, those fools, those utter complete fools. I am truly sorry, really I am." Walter cried as Sue stood over him seething.

Michelle rushed to her friend holding her hand in hers as she glared at Walter in her anger. Michelle attempted to pull Susan away but she resisted, standing her ground staring at Walter.

"When you are better, you can go back there and tell them of the opportunity they missed and if they are able and want to be treated they will have to come to us. We will not be returning there anytime soon." Susan turned and stomped out grabbing her pack on the way out of the room.

Michelle stood there looking after her friend with sadness written across her face. She too was tired of being shot at everywhere they went, but the need to help people was at war with her need to stop the madness.

~~~ [time] ~~~

"Cappy!"

"Just a minute Doctor, we are in a meeting."

Susan stood in the doorway looking around the conference room where she had finally found Cappy. The room filled with the usual heads of departments for the typical Friday afternoon meeting, the one she should be attending at this instant. Smiling weakly she found her seat.

"Now, to answer your question, Mike, we will be building more accommodations further back in the valley. Engineering has assured me that the ground is solid enough for any structure we can build today. Good enough?"

"Yep just needed to know, we'll get started as soon as the lumber is harvested and cut for us."

"Good. Now, who's next?"

"I would imagine that would be me."

Cappy frowned as he looked at the man who now stood at the end of the table.

"I'm sorry, I don't know you. Who are you and what do you do for us?"

"My name, Mister Cappy, is Percy Sandoval and I am the head building inspector."

"We have a building inspector? Mike? What's going on here?"

"When you and Susan and Michelle were in San Antonio a few here thought it would be a good idea if there was some way to ensure that anyone building a house or cabin did it correctly as not to injure people."

"I see. Okay, Mister Sandoval you go right ahead. And it's just Cappy, no mister in front."

"Right, sorry, Cappy. Well, I have been inspecting all the housing and none, I repeat, none of them is up to code. Before anymore can be built the current buildings will have to be brought up to code."

"And what code is that Mister Sandoval?"

"Why, the State of Texas Building Code."

"I see. Do you work for the State of Texas?"

"No, but..."

"Hold on Mister Sandoval, just a couple of more questions. Do you work for the Federal Government?"

"Of course not."

"Do you work for the county government?"

"No."

"Who do you work for?"

"Why, this community."

"Has this community, in its infinite wisdom, drawn up, created or written down any code regarding how to build buildings within its borders?"

"Not to my knowledge, but I thought you would want your, their, homes to be safe."

"Are they, as you put it, unsafe?"

"Well actually..."

"Are they going to collapse at any moment?"

"No."

"Will they collapse within the next week?"

"No."

"Will they collapse within the next year, five years, ten years, one hundred years?"

"No."

"Then what is the problem with them, Mister Sandoval?"

"A lot of things, the plumbing, the electricity, the..."

"Hold it! First, there is no plumbing in most of the cabins. Second, there is no electricity in most of the cabins."

"That's what I'm talking about."

"Percy, may I call you Percy?"

"Of course... "

"Percy...you are fired."

"You can't fire me, I was elected by the city council..."

"Everyone here works at my pleasure Percy and that means you. Mike, is this what you meant by keeping everyone safe?"

"I didn't know he was stupid. Sorry, Cappy."

"That's no excuse. Mister Sandoval, why are you still here?"

Mister Sandoval opened his mouth then snapped it shut as he turned to leave. As his hand was on the handle to open the door, he turned back to the room.

"You haven't heard the last of me!"

"I better have or you will be walking you busybody ass on out of this valley!" Cappy shouted as he hit the table with his fist.

"You can't!"

"Waylon, take this...this...thing home and see that he packs his belongings, then escort him out of the valley. Give him three days rations and water."

"Right Cappy," Waylon said as he pushed Mister Sandoval out the door and down the hall screaming and crying until the door closing cut them off.

"Now anyone else have something for us to consider? Sue, you need to talk?"

"Not to the council, to you in private, please."

"Oh, okay. Anything else?" Cappy looked around the room. "Alright thank you for coming, see you next week."

While everyone got up and filed out of the room Sue moved to a chair closer to Cappy and waited until the door closed behind the last person.

"You're not going to yell at me about that dumbass Percy are you?"

"No dear, I'm not. He was a pest and a pain in the ass. I'm surprised you didn't have him shot."

"I'm not that cruel."

"I know. The reason I'm here..."

"Yes, sweetheart I can see there is something troubling you. What is it?"

"I'm tired of being shot at when I go to help someone, really, really, tired."

"And..."

"And I really think that we should limit the number of times we venture out of our valley for a while."

"You're probably right."

"I am?"

"Yes. But there is a problem. We, this valley, are the only truly organized place in a hundred klicks."

"But we don't have to go to them, they can come to us."

"True. But there are those out there that I wouldn't want them to know where we are."

"But they could find out easily enough, just follow us home one time."

"I know. Okay, you're on vacation, three weeks, Mark is too, in fact, all the doctors are on vacation from patrols for three weeks."

"Uh, Linda and Dave really enjoy patrols."

"They are on vacation too! No exceptions. In fact, for the next three weeks, there will be no patrols. Only Falcon and Eagle will be out in the field. Gamma and Bravo will be their backup if needed. For the next three weeks, everyone just works inside the valley."

"Okay, but I think long term, patrols should be limited to, as needed."

"We'll see. Go home, relax, get to know your kids, your husband."

"You will be dropping by for dinner once in a while?"

"You bet, me miss a free home-cooked meal, never." Cappy smiled at Susan as she rose from her chair, as she turned Cappy patted her behind causing her to jump.

"Cut that out, unless you intend to...you know?" Susan smiled coyly at Cappy.

"Not right now dear, maybe later if you can get away from Mark and the kids. But I won't expect you."

"You never know. You just never know." Susan hurried to the infirmary to pick up her gear and head for home. She knew she would be working in the infirmary tomorrow even if she were not on the duty roster. There was that annoying problem they were still researching.

"Where have you been? Waylon was dragging that little pest Percy Sandoval down the hall and down the stairs."

"I know he has been kicked out of the valley for being probably the stupidest person on the face of the earth."

"Oh."

"And we are all on vacation, from patrols, for the next three weeks."

"Everyone?"

"Everyone."

"Linda and Dave aren't going to like that, they look forward to going on patrol."

"I know but, orders are orders."

"Where are you off to now?"

"Home. I'm going to take a hot bath and then get reacquainted with my children. Why don't you come over after your done here and relax with your daughter? Have George meet you there for a nice evening with good food, some wine, don't know how good that is and great company."

"Sure why not. See you in about an hour. Tell Kacy I'll be there soon."

"I will see you then."

Chapter 42

Susan collapsed into the overstuffed chair at the far end of the common room. Her pack and rifle clattered to the floor. Michelle sank into the chair beside Susan, her equipment at her feet as she closed her eyes in exhaustion.

"I'm too freakin' old to be doing this anymore. There are younger, more able-bodied people than I," Susan growled.

"I hear you, sweetheart, I hear you," Michelle replied settling further into the chair.

The two sat there catching their breath and relaxing after coming in from the cold outside. It had been two days since they left the warmth of their homes in the valley. Two days in the field, doing work they enjoyed, helping people. They were, after all, doctors. The last of a dying breed in the wasteland that had become America, the last of school taught and hospital trained doctors. The old style doctors had apprenticed the new doctors. Some not long enough.

Those trained in Cappy's Valley were the best, trained by the best for hundreds of klicks around. Michelle and Susan had trained many a doctor in the past ten years. Good practical training, learning from books was a thing of the past for now. Most of the books were lost and most likely would never be again.

They had not only trained men and women, boys and girls, to be good doctors but, had also participated in and been on many patrols, both near and far from home. In the beginning, every patrol held for them a terror of the unknown. However, as they grew accustomed to that terror an excitement replaced it once they saw they could fend for themselves if the need arose. And on several occasions, the need did arise, five times for Susan and three times for Michelle.

Only two other doctors had used that set of skills more often than they had, Linda and Dave.

"I think it's time for me to stop all this nonsense with the guns and stuff. I think I'm going to retire from active duty and spend all my time teaching and doing at the clinic," Sue declared without moving.

"Me too!" Michelle said without opening her eyes.

"Hey, I really mean it, sister!"

"Me too!"

"Well okay then," Sue replied as she closed her eyes and promptly went to sleep.

~~~ [time] ~~~

"What's with them?" Cappy asked as Mark sat down at the table.

"Them? They're talking about retiring, as usual. And now they're sleeping," Mark said as his wife started snoring.

"You may want to get her out of that chair before she gets a crick in her neck."

"I'm going to eat first, then I'll carry her upstairs to a bed which I myself will gladly fall into."

"I'm going to be looking for one of those too. Rough patrol!"

"Yep, rougher than most," Mark replied.

"What can I get you guys," Marge asked as she strode up to the table.

"What's on right now? We just got in from patrol."

"Well Cappy, how about some scrambled eggs and a thick juicy steak?"

"Sounds good to me, you Mark?"

"Yep, that'll do me."

"Any tomato juice back there Marge?"

"Sure is, will that be two glasses?"

Mark and Cappy nodded their head. Tomato juice was the other thing they both loved.

"How come George doesn't go on patrol?"

"Michelle wants him home to take care of their daughter. He has been on several and is willing to go on more but Michelle always overrules him. He's a great marksman."

"That he is. It's a shame he can't go out with Michelle, I think she would really like having him along," Mark said.

"No, she wouldn't. You weren't with us on the move from Chicago to southern Illinois. She hated having him along on that trip. He was always overruling her and yelling, that's how she put it. He wasn't of course but, she felt he was."

"Boy, I'm I glad I missed that move. She mellowed a lot by the time we moved to Texas."

"Not really. She was happy to be with us but was a little upset to have George along with her. Why I don't know and it's none of my business. No, don't you dare tell me."

"I wasn't I was just agreeing with you. She is different when she's not with her husband. And George is such a nice guy. A loving father and husband, you would think she would be happy to share what she goes through with him. Going on patrol with Sue has brought us closer together and taught me that she will never leave me, no matter what she might do..." Mark just let the words he was about to say hang.

"And you, my friend are the love of her life, no matter how she might look at me from time to time. Just realize, what Sue and I had together, was a long, long time ago. However, she will always have a place in my heart. I hope that doesn't bother you because there is nothing I can do about that."