Jacob's Progress

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No. Not really."

She spoke quietly, aware of our daughters close by.

"It's just Lucia can be impossible sometimes."

She returned to a normal tone.

"Anyway, how are you?"

"I'm good. Thanks for the introductions. But listen, Hannah wants Riley to come over. That's fine by me, but does it work for you?"

"Actually, that would be perfect. I have some errands. Shall I pick her up at six?"

"Well I was going to try a delivery from the pizza place you recommended. Does Riley like pizza?"

"Almost as much as dinosaurs. Thank you. Maybe seven then? Do you need a booster for her?"

"No. I have a spare in the back of the Jeep. It's not my first play-date. So, seven it is. See you then. Come on girls. It's pizza time."

The girls seemed to get on great. I did some work, my window open. The sound of their laughter and shrieks filtered in from the back yard. After a while, I ordered pizzas. Before long, Paula was there, promising to reciprocate soon.

I said Riley had been lovely and that she was welcome anytime. Paula kissed me on the cheek as she said goodbye. Seemingly impulsively, as she then turned bright red and left in a hurry.

--

Thursday passed uneventfully. Paula made some more introductions before and after school. I went into the office for the first time and everyone seemed friendly and welcoming. I got back in plenty of time for school finishing. I felt like my plan was working out.

Friday a few more moms in the morning, still no Lucia. Maybe Paula was protecting me. Then I wanted to get some ingredients for the dinner party on Saturday. Paula had suggested the best place to buy fish and the range and quality did seem really good. With a filleted salmon in my cooler, I went to our regular grocery store for the other stuff I needed. Then I saw her.

I think it was the sunglasses that caught my eye first. OK, that's a lie, it was her ass. Even before I recognized her. She was dressed for jogging and it was hard not to look twice. Her skin-tight leggings saw to that. She had a sprinter's ass. Toned, but powerful. And amazingly pert for a woman of her age. Raising my eyes, the rear of her tiny sports bra didn't cover a lot of her back, which looked lightly muscular. As she turned the sunglasses did lead to recognition. I waved awkwardly and she strode over. Her mid-sized breasts jiggling a little despite the support. She flipped up her glasses and I was struck by clear sapphire eyes, the last thing I was expecting given her general coloration. My God, she had Nicky's eyes.

"It's Jacob, right? I don't think Paula was ever going to introduce us, so nice to run into you. How is your daughter settling? It's Hannah, isn't it?"

"Yes. Jacob. Hannah's dad. She's doing fine, thanks. Your son is Daniel, isn't he? And it's Lucia, I think."

"That's me. I'm sure Paula told you all about me."

Her tone was slightly sarcastic, but I didn't comment. Whatever bad blood there might be between her and Paula was none of my business.

"Going for a run?"

It was lame, but she smiled.

"Gym today. On my way there. But I'm doing some trail running Sunday. Want to join me?"

She was surprisingly direct. Nicole had been like that.

"Sounds lovely. But I have Hannah."

"That's OK. Dan does a swim class. Someone said Hannah was a swimmer, I heard a good one. I leave him there and hit the hills for an hour."

It did sound like something Hannah would like. I loved running and spending some time with Lucia sounded kinda fun. I told myself I was just being friendly when I agreed, subject to Hannah's approval. I let her get to the gym and got on with my shopping; the image of her Lycra-clad butt still in my mind.

Of course anything to do with water would be an easy sell. I knew that Hannah would love to go. I made a call and agreed that she could do one class to see if she liked it. A bit more work and it was pick up.

Friday afternoon was ice cream time and we went back to the same place as on Hannah's first day. Paula and Riley were already there, queuing to place their order. We got a table for four and it was nice. Less daddy-daughter chatting and a lot more about whether or not T. rex had feathers, but that was OK. After a few "see you tomorrows" we headed our separate ways.

Hannah had had a big week and fell asleep next to me on the couch before we had got that far into Moana (for the fourth time). I carried her to bed.

Later, latching my door, I picked up my iPad. Ava was on-line. But I found myself searching for black-haired girls with blue eyes. Unsurprisingly, the choice was limited, but one was close enough. I told Roxie that her name was Lucia for the next twenty minutes. Thankfully, this time, Hannah slept through our "chat."

--

I didn't feel great about myself the next morning. Along with my normal, Nicky-related guilt, part of me felt I had let Paula down. Paula, who was the closest thing I had to a friend in town. Well, I guess I had an opportunity to make it up to her. BBQ salmon on a maple plank was my specialty.

Hannah was having a lie in. I thought she probably needed it. I used the opportunity to make all of the necessary preparations for later. When she came down, I was sipping coffee and feeling pretty pleased with myself.

"Hi, Dad. I just wanted to say. Can you please not do or say anything embarrassing when Riley's mom is here? You know how you get."

No longer feeling quite so much like Super Dad, I promised my daughter that I would be good.

We had the middle of the day free and I asked what she wanted to do. It was sunny and still warm, though it was beginning to feel like fall was coming soon. But what did she want to do? Arts and crafts. As always. I pulled out my big box and she found a purse she could decorate with beads. We sat together and I helped when she needed it. A father and daughter just enjoying each other's company.

I had fired up the grill and got everything else ready when Paula and Riley arrived. Her husband sent his apologies, an unexpectedly complicated legal case apparently. I got Paula a glass of wine and Riley an OJ, though she had disappeared off somewhere with Hannah when I returned bearing a tray. I clinked my beer bottle with Paula's glass and told her she looked nice. She blushed again. I had intended no more than an innocent compliment, but maybe it meant something else to her.

It was no more than the truth. Paula was wearing a high waisted, mid-length, light blue dress dotted with faded white patches. It buttoned up the front, the top four left strategically unfastened. As she walked, it floated round her. The style suited her; revealing a previously hidden figure and surprisingly shapely legs. She didn't possess Lucia's raw sexuality -- I felt bad comparing the two women -- but I now saw that she was pretty enough in a woman-next-door way.

I busied myself with the grill. Making sure to refresh her glass. Chatting as parents do about their kids. Part complaining, part proud. I told her how much I appreciated her help, and her friendship. The latter seemed to land with her.

"A friend? Yes, that's what I need."

She laughed to herself.

"Sorry, Paula, did I say something wrong?"

She looked down and then up at the sky, inhaling deeply.

"No. Nothing wrong. It's me that's wrong."

She seemed on the verge of some confession, when Riley and Hannah ran up, asking if food was ready. I told them five minutes and, if they'd like to take their seats, I would serve them shortly. Riley dragged her mother up from the garden seat she had been occupying and pulled her inside. She looked back over her shoulder at me as she walked. I couldn't tell what her expression meant.

The meal went well. I got the flavors just right, soy sauce blending with garlic, chili, ginger and sugar. Compliments were paid to the chef. It seemed to me that Paula was a drinker. She got through the bottle of wine herself, while I nursed two beers, bearing in mind my trail run the next day.

When it was time for eight year olds to go to bed, she said her goodbyes. I asked if I should get her an Uber, but she insisted both that she was OK and that her husband had friends in the Police Department. I didn't like to argue, but made her promise to message me as soon as she got home.

With assurances exchanged, she put Riley into her seat. As Hannah leaned in to say "see you Monday" to her friend, Paula kissed me full on the lips. She turned on her heel, smiled and drove off. Leaving me more than a little confused and concerned.

I put my arm round Hannah.

"Want to help me tidy up?"

"Not really, Dad, but if you insist."

I did insist, but there was not much to do and soon we were on the couch, finishing watching Moana. Paula messaged me to say that she had got home and added a sorry. In my reply, I said that everything was OK. I went to bed early, but lay awake thinking about both Paula and Lucia.

--

Next morning, I was woken by Hannah, already dressed and with her swim goggles on. Yes, she was that keen. We still had some time, so I made waffles, figuring she had enough time to digest them some. I got changed and we still had forty minutes to lounge around before we hit the road.

The pool wasn't too far. Out of town and on the way to the foothills of the mountains. I parked and saw Lucia walking to the center with her son. She stopped when I lowered the window and hollered. Great, Jacob, way to play it cool. She still smiled.

As the two of us got out of the car, I saw that Lucia had swapped her regular sunglasses for some equally expensive-looking Oakleys, her hair scraped back in a ponytail. She looked every inch the athlete, from her running shoes to orange shorts and a fitted black T. She had an athlete's legs as well, I have a thing for the calf muscles of women runners. In her hand she held a hydration pack. Damn! I had forgotten mine.

Hannah and Daniel said "hi" and we walked them in together.

"Do they sell water here, I was stupid and forgot my CamelBack?"

"Sure, but it will be a pain to carry. You can share mine. It's got a more than big enough capacity. It's only a short run."

I guess sharing a hydration pack is one way to get to know someone.

While Hannah changed, I shook hands with the swim coach, who seemed friendly. I explained a bit about the distances she had swum and he appeared impressed. There were a couple of other moms from the school, ones that Paula had introduced me to. And Lucia pointed out another dad. I guess going for a quick run would not be so bad. Hannah had literally dove in and was doing laps backstroke.

At the edge of the parking lot, there was a gate that led into some scrub, a trail working its way between the bushes.

"So we're aiming for that hill, see? It's just two miles to the summit and not too steep, I'm being kind to you."

With that she tapped her watch and was off. Wow! She could move. I wasn't so bad myself, but catching up with her took a bit out of me. I ended up falling back again. When I reached the top of the hill, Lucia was sitting on a low flat boulder, grinning from ear to ear.

"I win. We need to work out a wager system."

Sure she spoke her mind. Competitive, obviously. But I wasn't getting a bitch vibe off of her. Then sometimes women were different to other women. I stood, hands on hips, panting for a while. Then she unclipped the tube of her pack and held it out to me.

"You sure, it's OK?"

"You don't seem too contagious, and I've not detected bad breath. I'll take a risk."

I took the plastic tube. It was quite short and I had to lean in close to put the valve in my mouth, biting it to release a stream of water. I guess I had expected Lucia to turn her head, but she kept looking at my face, maybe no more than six inches away from hers. I was caught between feeling aroused and uncomfortable. Lucia seemed to think it funny. She was doing a bad job of suppressing laughter. Still, I was pretty thirsty and needed the drink. She giggled.

"Would you feel better if you brought your own pack next week?"

I laughed and replied, "maybe", with a sheepish grin.

"So, I passed the test then? There will be a next week?"

"Not yet. Let's see how you do on the way back."

She leapt up and hurled herself down the trail, leaving me scrambling to even keep her in sight. When I caught up with her, back by the cars, she had taken off her pack and held it up to me. I smiled, but part of me was a little disappointed.

"I have enough people talking about me as it is. Probably more so after making you my running buddy. Perhaps us having our heads glued together in public is a little too much."

She was probably right, of course. It had been pretty intimate on the summit.

"But why...? Why do they talk about you?"

She glanced at her wrist.

"No time now. They'll be out soon. Maybe next week, if you want to."

"Oh I want to."

There again, way too keen.

"OK, it's a date. Well maybe not a date. But who knows?"

I handed back her reservoir. She smiled broadly and then strode into the center, leaving me in her wake for the third time.

It struck me that I hadn't thought about Nicole once today. Was that a good or a bad thing? I really wasn't sure.

--

Hannah wanted to sign up for swim class. So it was only natural that I told Lucia I'd join her again next Sunday. The rest of the day passed unremarkably.

Around 8pm, Paula messaged me.

"Are we OK, Jacob?"

"Sure, no problems, we are cool, buddy."

Maybe the "buddy" was a bit too dismissive. I deleted it before sending.

"❤️❤️❤️"

WTF? Maybe I should have left "buddy" in there. Let's hope it's just her way of saying thank you.

From Paula's demeanor at school the next morning, it seemed that it was. She didn't seem at all ill-at-ease. She introduced me to two more moms and a dad. Still no Lucia. The persona non grata gave me a grin as she walked past our group, but was circumspect enough to do nothing else. Nothing else except looking back over her shoulder at me as she made for her car, biting on one arm of her sunglasses with her pearly teeth. Sunday couldn't come quick enough.

Paula told me that there was a coffee morning if I was interested, with a couple more fathers attending. I said sure. Obviously, Lucia wasn't invited. What on Earth had she done to offend these people? I didn't have too much in common with the other men. Financial Services guys, more Nicole's wheelhouse. Then maybe I had spent a lot of time round moms and gone native. I ended up talking to Paula. I was worried it might be awkward, but all seemed fine.

She didn't mention texts, or kisses. We chatted about this and that. I mentioned Hannah doing swim class, though not my running partner. That seemed inadvisable. I asked if her husband had sorted out the complicated case. She looked at me uncomprehendingly for a few seconds, before saying that yes, he'd managed to resolve the problem. It occurred to me that Paula had secrets.

My own work had become pretty busy. I went into the office both Tuesday and Wednesday. It was nice to call people colleagues, rather than clients. The team took me out to lunch on Tuesday, which was kind of them. I was back at home on Thursday and ran into Paula in the same store I had met Lucia. We both said "hi."

"Want to have a coffee later, Jacob?"

"That would be nice, but I'm busy today. Tomorrow?"

"OK. But then, how about lunch? The best restaurant in town does a lunch that's half the price of the evening. And you don't need to get a sitter."

I laughed. The concept of a sitter, of doing something other than being a dad, took a bit of getting used to.

"That would be nice. I'm really grateful for how much you and Riley have helped me and Hannah. Let me pay."

"We'll split the check. Midday? It's a date."

I seemed to keep having dates, that might or might not be dates.

--

The next day I got some work done rapidly between drop off and lunch. Paula was waiting outside the restaurant in a long, floral summer dress in pale peach. With the days getting shorter, it was probably one of her last opportunities to wear it this year. I opened the door for her with a mock bow, she curtsied in return and we waited to be seated with smiles on our faces.

She was right about the restaurant. The food was great. Paula said that the wine was too. I stuck to water. We chatted idly, two friendly parents. Nothing more. Then, half way through her third glass of white, Paula abruptly stopped talking mid-sentence. She seemed to have found something interesting to study on the table, though exactly what was unclear. Then she raised her eyes and looked at me.

"So, Jacob. The kiss. I wanted to explain. I should never have done it. The thing is... the thing is I'm going through some stuff. Nothing like what you have, but some stuff. It's me and Ed."

I knew her husband's name, but this was the first time Paula had used it. I knew better than to leap in with questions. Instead I did my best to look sympathetic and just listened.

"I shouldn't have put you in the middle of it. That's not what friends do. I guess... I guess I sort of like you. I know... I know, I shouldn't have said that either."

I found myself agreeing with her assessment, but simply nodded slightly and let her continue.

"So my bad. I just thought with Hannah and Riley getting along..."

Wow! This was getting serious. I didn't know what to say and my policy is such circumstances is to say nothing. I adopted what I hoped was an understanding but non-committal smile. That's a lot to expect of a smile.

"Anyway. That was foolish. Or maybe... maybe premature...?"

Her eyes told me she wanted a sign from me. I wasn't able to provide one and began to feel increasingly uncomfortable. Still I kept quiet.

"Premature. Right. You see... I don't think Ed loves me anymore. I think he loves someone else. I know... I know he cheated. I know that."

There was no way I could maintain my silence, I wasn't that cold.

"I'm sorry, Paula. Don't worry about us, we are fine. You didn't mess up our friendship."

I was choosing my words carefully, not trying to lead her on.

"I feel so bad for you. Did you want to talk about what happened?"

I sensed that, from the minute I had said "friendship," Paula had closed up. I guess it had taken a lot to say as much as she had. Maybe she was hoping for more in return. More than I felt I could give. She gathered her things, her main meal unfinished.

"You know what? I have something to do. I'll take you up on that offer to pay. Gotta go."

As I mumbled some apologetic reply, she stood and walked out. I looked after her as she got to her car and searched for her keys. She brushed her eyes twice with the sleeve of her dress.

Fuck, Jacob, you handled that well.

I asked for the check, got home and tried to focus on work for an hour or so. Pick up might be a bit stressful.

--

I parked by the school, aware of a knot in my stomach. Immediately I saw Paula approaching. She was next to the car before I had time to open the door and now blocked it with her body. Shit, this was going to be bad. I lowered the window apprehensively.

"I'm so sorry, Jacob. That was totally unfair. In threw like three curve balls at you and then stormed out like a temperamental teen when you did nothing wrong. I fucked up."

I had never heard Paula use an expletive before. It seemed like her tongue struggled with it, like a tricky foreign word.

"Let's just forget the end of our conversation, please. I'm not myself, I'm sorry."

"It's OK, Paula. You didn't do anything wrong either. If you want to talk, I'll listen. But your choice, OK?"

"OK, thanks. Listen, I was taking Riley to the movies tomorrow. Some new Pixar thing. Riley wanted me to ask Hannah. I hope I haven't messed that up."