Jacob's Progress

Story Info
New job. New town. New women. Can a widower find healing?
17.1k words
4.63
41.8k
83

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 02/24/2024
Created 02/01/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
EmilyMiller
EmilyMiller
732 Followers

It was never going to be easy for either of us moving. But the job offer was hard to turn down; we needed the stability it provided, especially now. And the house had a ghost. Not a real one of course, but her presence. The memory of what we had both lost. Even after a year and a half, it hung heavily on me. And I knew it was the same for Hannah. It was difficult for both of us to talk about some things. Hard to engage with an eight-year-old about the mother she no longer had. Hard for me to acknowledge the gaping void in my life. I didn't feel I had the words.

Nicole had been at home for the last few weeks. It had felt like the thing to do. It probably was, for her. She was in her own house, her own bed, not in a faceless hospital or hospice. But now the walls bore the imprint of her passing. It was pervasive, inescapable, indelible. A new start wouldn't erase her memory, I didn't want to do that. But it might make things a little more bearable for both of us.

The move was to a new town in a new state. It meant leaving friends for Hannah, which was tough. For me, it was easier. I'd burnt bridges with so many people. I guess we process grief in different ways. I became a depressive asshole who was impossible to be around. Some friends tried, but eventually I drove even the most persistent of them away. Yeah! I could do with a new start too. Maybe I was being selfish and should have thought more about my daughter, but I hadn't exactly been the best version of me. I hoped a reset might help to get back to being a semi-decent father. I told myself it was best for Hannah as well.

It didn't feel that way as we drove to the new place. Hannah sat in the back with her headphones on and refused to acknowledge my presence, let alone reply to my attempts at conversation. It had been a long three hours, but I now parked in the drive.

"Here we are, big girl. Home."

She silently got out, waited for me to open the house door and disappeared upstairs. We had stayed with my mom for a few days while the movers had been at work. I wanted Hannah to have the place set up, her furniture and things in situ. So much for that idea. I resisted the thought that I had a premature teenager on my hands and instead told myself that Hannah had been through hell. Who wants to see their mom die, for fuck's sake? Give her time, give her time.

--

We arrived on the Saturday. Monday was Labor Day and school started on the Tuesday. Hannah would be joining in third grade, with children who had known each other since pre-K. I knew it was going to be tough, being thrown in at the deep end so soon. The way things worked with the new and old houses, we couldn't have moved earlier. And I didn't see much point waiting until later in the year. Still I realized it sucked.

Her mood had gotten better over the long weekend. I did my best to be fun dad. We explored our new Main Street. Saw some awful Disney confection at the theater, a period building that I found charming. Found a pizza place she liked -- and which I noted for future reference did deliveries. She'd helped me with grocery shopping and buying the few things that inevitably had got lost in the move. On the Monday, I gave her the iPhone she had wanted; though I was far from convinced it was best for a girl her age. Yeah, there was some guilt there, I'll admit to trying to buy my way back into Hannah's good books. Later, we had a dad and daughter BBQ. And no one got food poisoning.

But, that night, she couldn't sleep. She said she was OK, but I know my daughter. I guess she had learnt to protect grown-ups from shit, the way I couldn't protect her from what happened to her mom. I tried to settle her, but she ended up in the big bed, with my arm round her. The big bed? I couldn't bear to keep the old one. The one in which... I was unclear why I'd bought a new big bed. Probably just autopilot. Lying awake at just gone midnight, my daughter finally asleep next to me, I missed Nicole. I missed my Nicky so very much.

--

I'd dropped off Hannah. She had trudged more than walked. Her teacher had given her a friendly greeting, which she had barely responded to, eyes surveying the floor. I reminded her to be polite. But the teacher had said she understood and would look after her. And then she was gone.

And I was alone.

I'm a technical author, I write documentation for software, or user guides, or training manuals. I had been freelance and worked exclusively from home. That had been handy when Nicky was working. She had been in financial services. Hers was the main income and she worked long hours.

My time had been pretty much my own to organize, as long as I met my deadlines. That meant it was dad who dropped Hannah off, dad who picked her up, dad who took her to swimming, or play dates, or birthday parties. Friends used to joke that I was the real mom. I didn't mind, it made sense and I liked the time with my daughter.

Now I'd taken a permanent job with one of my regular clients. With just one income, freelancing felt too risky. I'd still be mostly at home, but they wanted me nearby. Able to come into the office for half days, maybe once or twice a week, if required. Hence the move. The were a good organization and already knew I was a single parent. They had promised me a lot of flexibility.

In the past, I'd got to know the other parents. A couple of at home dads like me, but mostly moms. I was on the PTA and knew some of the other members pretty well. All people I'd now never talk to again. Today was different. It wasn't just Hannah who knew no one. I adopted my daughter's hang-dog gait as I walked back to the car.

"Jacob! Jacob! Please wait."

A raised female voice, I wondered whether Hannah had had a meltdown. Something like when Nicole and I found an older girl had been bullying her for weeks, with the school blissfully unaware. I turned, fearing the worst.

"Jacob. Thank you. It is Jacob, right? I hope I haven't been shouting at the wrong man."

She was a little out of breath, her light brown hair pulled up and held messily by a crooked claw-clip. Her face was round, warm, and open, slightly flushed by running after me. I don't think I noticed her clothes, mom clothes, I guess. Sort of shapeless. But her smile was nice. She was also holding a blue sweater.

"Hi. Yes, I'm Jacob."

"Oh good. Wait. You are Hannah's dad, right?"

"Yes, that's right. Can I help you?"

"No. But I'm meant to help you."

I must have looked quizzical.

"Sorry. First day back is always so hectic. I'm meant to be your buddy. For school that is. I'm meant to help you and Hannah get to know the school and the area. But the school office only sent me your details this morning. Really sorry, I should have contacted you a few weeks ago. But I couldn't get anyone at the school to respond."

She paused and took a deep breath.

"Sorry again. So frazzled. I'm being rude. I'm Paula. My daughter, Riley, is in Hannah's class."

She held out her hand and I shook it.

"I'm happy to meet you, Paula."

Again I got the big smile. It lit up her face.

"Right. So I was meant to have contacted you before. Sorry again. Want to maybe go grab a coffee and I can fill you in."

"That would be great. And really no need to apologize. In fact it's me who needs to say sorry. I have a deadline today and with the move and settling in, I have to do some work. But how about tomorrow after drop off? Does that work for you?"

"That's actually better. Let's do that. I've just remembered, I didn't give Riley her sweater. So hectic. Speak tomorrow."

She turned and rushed back to the school. Walking back to my car, I smiled. At least it's not just me who is disorganized. She seemed nice, it was good to know one person at least.

I got my work done. Went to pick up Hannah and waved to Paula from a distance. Riley waved and shouted "see you tomorrow, Hannah". Hannah seemed pretty good. I told her I had found an ice cream place and asked if she wanted to tell me about her day over a sundae. Nothing makes Hannah more talkative than frozen dairy goods.

So. It had not been too bad. She liked her teacher. She'd been sat next to Riley, who was meant to be her buddy too. They got on. Some Korean boy band they both like, I struggle to keep up. And Riley likes dinosaurs, so of course Hannah thinks she's great. Liking dinosaurs or not is Hannah's main way of assessing people. It was a relief that she was chatty. Early days, I told myself, but it could have been worse.

I got Hannah to bed on time for once and -- even more incredibly -- she went to sleep. I guess it had been a big day emotionally. It was only 8pm and I finished off some other work, before having an early night myself.

--

Lying in bed, sleep wouldn't come. I knew why not.

For a long time, sex had been the last thing on my mind. After Nicky's death, I closed down. I had anxiety. I couldn't sleep. Sex wasn't a thing for me. I even noticed that I was having problems. It didn't normally take much to get me physically aroused. A bed scene shot artfully for a PG-13 audience was often enough. Nicole used to make fun of me. She said I was always 'up' for anything. Then that stopped.

I spoke to a doctor and she said it was most likely stress. She said that the normal pills would help for now, and that it would probably get better with time. I tried a pill once, just to check there was no bigger problem and it worked. But I had no real reason to take them. So I gave it time as the doc suggested. She was right about that too. Things got better, but that also led to other problems.

I wanted to cum. I knew that. I'd latched the door to my room. My dilemma was how? I closed my eyes and thought about Nicole's body. About the first time I had seen it, when we were both at college. I thought about how I couldn't believe she was with me. She was the cutest Junior in college, and it wasn't even close. Her soft skin, her ample curves, her bewitching face, her big, limpid, sapphire eyes, framed by golden tresses. She was out of my league, but there she was, naked and wanting me.

The memories were enough to rekindle excitement. But then I always hit a block. Instead of arousal, remembering making love to her just brought tears. Maybe I was messed up to try to masturbate to my wife's memory, but it felt better than the alternative. The alternative was shameful, disloyal to her. But the alternative was what I needed.

I grabbed my iPad and ear buds off of the nightstand and opened a private window in Safari. There was a girl. A girl who reminded me of her; reminded me of her a lot. A girl who was often available, at a price. I logged on, searched my favorites, and she was online. Ava knew my username and wrote something provocative as I joined her room. I clicked on the private button and she was all mine. She jumped as I buzzed the toy sticking pinkly out of her panties. She asked if I wanted her to be Nicky again and I typed yes. Ava's voice was totally different, East European I thought, but it still helped me to pretend. I asked her to strip and she revealed the body that brought back so many memories.

"Do you want to fuck your Nicky, Jacob?"

I did. Stupid to use my real name, I know. But I kinda needed to hear Ava say it. I typed a reply one handed, balancing my iPad, with my other hand busy. She found a large dildo and sucked on it, then pushed it deep into her mouth. Pulling it out dripping with saliva.

"I love to suck your cock, Jacob. Now I want to be fucked."

She pulled out the remote toy and left it on her belly. Then she slid the dildo up and down from her vagina to clit and back. Then she took it inside her, putting the toy on her clit. I buzzed it again and she moaned as she slid the dildo deeper in. My excitement built as she fucked herself, calling out my name, saying she was my Nicky, asking me to buzz the toy. I got tissues ready.

And then I heard something else, above her moans and sighs. A knocking at my door. I quickly typed 'thank you' and closed my browser window and then the iPad case. I grabbed my PJs and dressed rapidly, tucking my still rigid cock into the waistband, wishing it would start to deflate.

"I'm coming, honey, just a second."

Fuck! Why did I chose those words?

I let her in, hoping I didn't seem as flustered as I felt. Hoping there were no strange smells.

"I'm sorry Daddy, I just miss Mom. Can I stay with you?"

"Of course, honey. I miss her too."

Hannah lay down and I covered her, before getting back into bed myself. I felt sick. I felt inadequate. I felt I'd let both Nicole and Hannah down. Hannah fell asleep, but I was looking at the ceiling until past three. Thinking how my daughter needed a much, much better father.

--

I was tired and upset and grumpy the next morning. I shouted at Hannah about some minor thing. What an asshole, don't take your shit out on her. I apologized in the car and she squeezed my arm as I drove and told me it was OK. I fought back tears as I thought I didn't deserve her kindness and understanding. I dropped her off and walked back to the car, lost In thought.

"Jacob!"

I'd forgotten Paula. Why today? I forced myself to be pleasant, to smile. After all, she was the only adult I knew round here.

"Hi, Paula. Coffee then?

--

The coffee place was nice. I'd followed Paula's minivan to it and parked next to her in the lot. We got a table by the window and she insisted on buying the drinks. There was something different about her, and I realized she was wearing makeup. Nothing too dramatic, but enough to accentuate lips and cheekbones. To make her eyes stand out. I now saw they were hazel, with just a trace of residual blue around the perimeter.

She really was a mine of information. I took notes on my phone. The new school district did some things differently, Paula helped me to understand. She was sweet. I enjoyed spending time with her. It seemed she felt the same.

"It's so nice to talk to you, Jacob. Not all the dads are so involved."

She stopped suddenly, her look telling me that she thought she had made an awful faux pas.

"I'm sorry, Jacob. That was thoughtless of me. I..."

She looked at me almost pleadingly.

"It's OK, Paula. Don't worry. No offense taken. Anyway, I was always involved. Long before..."

I struggled to say the words.

"...before we moved."

Her worry turned to sympathy.

"I know I'm a stranger, Jacob. But I can't imagine what you have both been through. If you ever want to talk, I'll try to listen."

Sweet, as I said. I thanked her and said it had been a long time now. I often used that lie. Rapidly changing the subject, I mentioned that Hannah was a swimmer and we talked about that for a bit.

School mostly sorted out, Paula went on to the neighborhood. She mentioned an even better pizza place, and a few other restaurants. Talked about local parks. Suggested good places for groceries. Recommended a family doctor. The sort of stuff you spend months figuring out.

I said it was my turn to buy the coffees. When I returned, I asked her to tell me about herself. Sensing a slight reticence, I quickly added "and the other parents."

She relaxed visibly. She briefly said she was married, and that Riley was her only daughter. The use of her rather than our, was noticeable. She didn't mention her husband, but instead moved on to other parents. There was a list that she said she would email me. It had names and contact details. Even photos to help work out who was who. Everything sounded great. Half jokingly, I asked what the catch was. She paused for quite a while before answering.

"Catch...? No catch really. Virtually everyone is lovely. The school is good and Hannah is joining a nice class. It's just..."

She looked directly at me. I sensed something behind her eyes. I'd been something of a confidant for a few of the moms back in the day. I guess I'm kinda empathetic.

"Well, it's not a catch. But maybe be a bit careful about Lucia."

It seemed that she was wrestling with herself. She looked at her hands after imparting this information.

"Lucia? You can't leave that hanging. What's the deal with Lucia?"

"Well..."

Again a pause.

"Lucia is lovely as well. She's a nice person, underneath it all. She can just be a bit full on. She speaks her mind, pretty much regardless of anything. She doesn't mean to be rude, I'm sure. Still..."

"So she's the school bitch?"

Paula lifted her eyes and held contact with mine for a second, a rueful smile on her lips.

"I don't think I'd use that exact expression. But yes. Kinda. Yes."

"Can't wait to meet her."

We both laughed, her tension evaporating.

I changed the subject and we spoke a bit about different children and who got on with who. The usual cliques, even in third grade.

I thanked Paula for her time and the good advice. We agreed that I'd message her with any questions.

"And please come over. I'm not so bad a cook and I'd like to say thank you. Is next Saturday too soon? Riley and your husband are welcome of course."

Paula said she was free and would be delighted to come. We agreed a time. Driving home I thought, what a nice lady.

--

I read through the schedule of parents that Paula had sent me. I studied the photographs as well. Mostly family groups. The next day, when I picked up Hannah, I played a game of trying to match people while I waited. It was exclusively moms. I think I picked out a few. Then Paula arrived, in a rush, which seemed to be her style. Still she made time to bring over three other moms and we chatted until the children were let out. I attempted to commit the names to memory. Paula explained that she'd get to everyone, but didn't want to overwhelm me. As the boys and girls arrived, I tried to absorb names and relationships.

I must admit that I had been intrigued by Lucia. To be honest, it wasn't just Paula's warning I had in mind. Lucia's photo in the schedule had been a little different to the other parents. It was her and her son, Daniel, on the beach. She was dressed modestly enough, in beach shorts and a baggy pale blue shirt, tied at the waist. But the shirt was unbuttoned and the neon yellow bikini under it was rather striking. She wore it well for a woman who, I assumed, was in her late thirties to mid-forties, like the rest of us. No partner appeared in either the photo, or her details. Just like me.

Hannah arrived, seeming almost bubbly, and with Riley in tow.

"Hi, Dad, I told Riley that we could have a play date. That's OK, isn't it?"

It was OK with me, but I scanned the crowd for Paula, who had disappeared after making the introductions. I saw her. A little way off and apparently having a heated exchange.

I recognized the other party. Lucia. Even with more clothes on, she was a striking woman. Italian blood, I guessed. Glossy black hair, falling in waves over her shoulders. Pale skin, with just a touch of olive. It was her lips I noticed most. Full, rosebud lips, accentuated in glossy scarlet. Her eyes were hidden behind the same expensive sunglasses as in her beach photo; though the day was far from sunny. She wasn't tall, but her heels made her seem more so. Rather than wearing the same amorphous mom clothes as everyone else, she was slinky. A pencil skirt, a white shirt that fitted her curves. The top few buttons undone, framing an obvious cleavage; accentuated by her currently standing hands on hips.

I was happy that my plumbing seemed to be in better shape, but a little self-conscious about a growing bulge. Up for anything again. I was able to smile at the memory, if a little sadly. I tore my eyes away from Lucia and managed to attract Paula's attention. With a final word to Lucia, she walked over.

"Any problem, Paula?"

EmilyMiller
EmilyMiller
732 Followers