James's Descent Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This hurt. He couldn't breathe. He felt this once... a very unpleasant feeling. A pair of angry eyes were staring at him. It was a bit scary. James thought that he could die here. He'd wanted to die for a long time. Not suicide... and that was more for selfish reasons. Or was it for reasons to make others feel better? To have the impression that he was fine and that this was just the world hurting them rather than be confronted with the fact that his family had traumatized him, that the world is currently in a state where a man can't even build a life anymore? He was thirty... he had no house and neither could he even hope of having one, he had not even a hope of having a girlfriend. No, wait... he had one. Pam would be sad about this. She'd probably be very, very, very upset at Nathan. Would they banish him after this... or do worse? How would this place fare without him? Would it just go away? Would it endure and just... go nowhere, them not even defending themselves when the next raid comes? Were they real? Did it matter?

James wanted to die. He would accept this. Just take it. Have it happen. Maybe his body would show up in his apartment, the marks on his neck with no means for him to do it to suggest someone just broke in and murdered him. It was all so tiresome. He couldn't change the world, he couldn't even LIVE in it. Life in that world meant selling yourself to something bit by bit until you die and gaining just enough to get by, just enough to come back for more. Everything was starting to fade, sounds became far away. He couldn't even see those eyes that were inches from his. Just a bit more now.

No. If anything... this place needed him. Pam needed him. Fiona needed him. And maybe one fucking day he could leave his world or make it better. His right hand was in his pocket, locked against the ground, but there was something else in that pocket. He could barely feel the safety as he pushed it off. Damn, the trigger is hard to pull. Aim it away... don't shoot yourself now. And... click.

Nathan felt pain just as that explosion under him signaled the reason. Why did he have a gun? Why didn't he anticipate a gun? His stomach erupted in blood and pain. No.. he could hold on. Another shot. That one got him close enough to the groin to make everything hurt. His face contorted in pain. No... he could hold on. The man slipped. The next shot hit him higher. That hurt... in his chest. Why was... it hurting less?

He held on just a bit more before Nathan went limp. James slid out from under him and coughed hard... breaths coming back with a desperate cling to life. Here he goes wanting to die and his evolutionary conditioning won't fucking let him. He was still on the floor, gasping for breath, his parka with three holes in it and with some fresh burn marks in there. Coughing.... Damn, his lungs were ruined from smoking. His eyes teared up, but he was coming back. He could finally manage a deep breath that still hurt because his throat was bruised pretty badly.

James looked to the side... Nathan was in a pool of his own blood... not moving at all. Not breathing. Well, fuck. Maybe he SHOULD have died. Now he's gonna take the consequences of defending himself. Who built the world? Wait, this was his world. No, not completely or he would have made this impossible. Something was fucking with him and that something was going to get a very physical complaint.

And Pam finally decided to come outside and see the scene... she thought those gunshots were James getting a head start. Instead... she found this scene.

"What the FUCK just happened?!"

*

Anna had a thousand emotions flowing through her. If it was anyone else, she might have directed some of those on the person responsible. But who was responsible for this was difficult to nail down. No, she could not even blame James. He didn't do anything wrong. If she'd have dared say that he should have just died instead, the woman would rather not live anymore after such... hypocrisy.

They brought the body to the hospital room... not that she could do anything. He was dead. Hit the heart just enough to make it stop. She had a run-down of the situation. Nathan went ahead and did something stupid. She could not blame Pami for giving him the gun... if he didn't have it, James would be dead and she did not want to think what it meant for them. Nathan might have destroyed their world... from being stupid. If he was alive she would have killed him all over again. She could only breathe... and look at the man with a sorry expression and a red throat.

"You said you can bring him back. I don't know if he deserves it."

"We'll see about it later, but you at least need him for now. And yes. I can. There's a command to do it and there are devices for it."

"Just going to walk on like nothing happened."

"If I use the command. The device would have him bedridden for a couple of days."

Maybe that could be a good punishment... or let her deal one.

"Do the second one. He needs to stay down a bit. Stupid idiot. He doesn't even deserve you doing this for him."

"Maybe. Or maybe I'm not doing it for him, but for you guys. Either way, I get where he was coming from... just should have tried some other way first."

"He's going to get HELL once he's back." Anna looked back up to the outsider. "Sorry he did this. Feels like I have to pay for it now."

"If there is something else I am against is debts being inherited. No, you don't have to pay anything. We'll see about HIM giving something back after."

Anna could crack a smile. The thought of all of them punishing him for this. This time... he deserved it. She could do it with a clean conscience. And if Nathan was not an idiot he would agree with them.

"He ruined the day."

"Maybe. But... we go on. Give me just ten more minutes with Pam and I think it's a good time to let me leave." Beat. "And see if you could do it."

"What would have happened if he succeeded?"

"No idea. Honestly, I don't know if I would have really died. Was kinda ready for it. Just... couldn't let you guys go on without me."

She'd pursue that further... later. Anna looked at her son with a sad expression... and an angry one. This would mean she was alone again, that she was without a child... it would be if James was not so merciful. Her son tried to kill him and he's going to bring him back. She understood the kindness... that it was not hollow, given without judgment... but she was amazed by it.

"Ten minutes... and you're getting hell, mister."

Pam was waiting outside, partly blaming herself for it, but more angry at Nathan. This was beyond their little squabbling... if he was still alive, she'd have killed him... possibly after her mother killed him. Maybe James could bring him back several times and have them show what it's like. It brought enough of a smile on her to greet her lover with a less explosive outburst.

"I'm gonna kill him. IDIOT!"

"He's already dead, Pam. If you want to vent a bit, shoot at the body a bit before you apply the resurrector nanites."

"Nooo... I want him to know it... feel it... see how he's a fucking idiot! I'm gonna kill him AGAIN!"

"Repeated resurrections can cause brain damage."

"HE'S ALREADY BRAIN DAMAGED!"

James could not help but chuckle at her outburst. She was a bit cute doing this. The girl did not feel insulted by that smile. Yeah, he was laughing at her, but sorta... not disagreeing or disapproving of her. Letting her vent.

"You'll have a good two days of punishing him while he's down. I think the biggest one might be telling him what he almost did. That's just gonna tear him apart."

"And he ruined our day!" Finally... she breathed. "You'll be back, right... I don't want you to feel... afraid that he'd do anything. Heck, if he even hints at that he's OUT!"

"I will admit there might be some fear left. Got that image stuck in there. But we'll deal with it. And yes, I will be back. I owe your mother a fuck... though now is not a good time."

Pam could manage a joke... even if it was a dark one.

"At least you got some target practice in."

"Mildly funny, but a bit not the time." He smirked. "But funny."

She was right that Pam could tell him anything. Or almost anything. She knew when to stop. A kiss felt wrong now. But a hug felt right. Here comes Nathan adding more to this man's pain... she could still feel him shaking. Maybe she won't kill him. But she could do something else.

After a long hug, it was time to go. A knock on the door so Anna didn't hold this off any longer and... just gone. Pam thought too much about punishing Nathan to miss James. At least now she knew he was up there.

No sooner was he gone that the mother saw a case beside the bed... one containing a device with two prongs on it. Instructions say... jam those in the eyes and press the switch. She'd use more force than necessary, still angry.

It seemed to do nothing for a second... once she removed that device that practically disintegrated in her hand. Those eyes healed up to full form... and she could already see some light returning to them. The wounds on his body closed up like they were never there, but he was still covered in blood. One long moment... and his eyes snapped fully open, a long breath taken.

The man thought he was a goner there, but here he was... unable to move anything from the neck down... and to his left was his mother who had an expression that scared him. He barely saw the slap coming.

Anna really gave it to him, a smack with as much force as she could muster, driving her palm into his face so hard that it moved him a tad. After barely a second of recovery... another SMACK rang in the room. She'd never hit him before. Now she had a reason. The eyes she got back tempted a third.

"So you're gonna take his side."

Oh, he should not have said that. Smack number three. Nathan could do nothing but lay there and take it. He felt like they had betrayed him.

"Shut up... or you'll earn more of those. You have no idea what an idiot you've just been. But you'll find out."

"Because you couldn't tell me... because you kept that look and sneaking off with him!"

Just a bit of thought before another slap to the face. She warned him.

"I said... shut up. You are making a fool of yourself more by the minute."

"Why does he matter so much?!"

She could only smile wide. A dangerous smile. But that did not tempt a fifth. The door to this wide room of rough stone, much the same as many in this place save for a couple of beds and plans for it... the door opened, and in came the other resident of this place, smiling wide in a way that promised misery to him. Pam had her hands behind her back, pretending far too hard to be a good girl while her eyes promised murder. She got to the other side of his bed, just a bit further away from Anna. At least she was out of slap range.

"Oh, hey Nathan... glad you're back with us!"

There was no honesty in those words. No, there was a bit of honesty... she was glad that he was alive... to bring her hand forward and shoot him in the knee. It was so quick that he could only react with a scream of pain.

"That's for trying to kill my boyfriend." Her voice was sing-song sweet but had an intent to harm behind it. She turned to Anna to talk in a much more normal tone. "Did you tell him?"

"Not yet."

"Oh good... maybe he can find out another way!" Back came the almost mocking tone. Another quick shot to his OTHER knee. Anna was not even disapproving in expression. Excessive, but he deserved it. "And that's for something you don't know about yet!"

"ARGH! WHAT?!"

He couldn't move... but he could feel it. He was at their mercy. Not just for the attacks they may enact, but for other things. THAT might be the worse punishment. Anna saw the logic that the girl had just before she spoke again.

"You know... he said that this was gonna make you feel worse than anything we do. So... James, I know he doesn't deserve it... but mind fixing him up?"

God mode on, delete those wounds. Nathan would feel the pain just... disappearing. No, he was not dead... again... but those fresh holes and broken knees were like new. And then... he realized who she asked... and what she named him. It was one of those times in life when your entire body's content feels like it leaves you, like your soul just falls through the floor and keeps falling, the kind of feeling to inspire suicide or heavy alcoholism. It felt like his heart wanted to stop out of sheer stress, like putting him out of his misery.

To say that he fucked up would be like calling a nuclear explosion "dangerous".

"Oh, that expression is just priceless." Pam was enjoying this.

"And now you know. Congratulations. You almost ended the world." Probably.

Nathan had his eyes snapped open and just looking at the ceiling. Paralyzed by something else. Considering that... everything made sense. Not just why they were being so harsh, but why Anna would have that expression toward him. Yes, he should have trusted her. Let this go down in scripture as to why... at times... you should trust and not question. No, maybe he could have gone another way. He was blinded by stupid emotions. Heck, now he felt that if anyone could be better... it would be a bloody god.

That feeling would stay for a LONG time. But the initial shock would go away in a few minutes, time that both women enjoyed seeing him shit an entire brick house. Anna crossed her arms and looked down at the man. He did deserve one thing.

"And if you still have some petty ideas that I'm going to leave you for him... while I am VERY upset at you now... and he is by all counts a better man than you... I don't want him as a lover. I want him... as a son. So maybe you had something right. But, repeat that and this will be a warm-up. So, once I have considered that you have paid your penance... I don't expect anyone else in my bed. At least, not for the night. How about you wait for THAT before jumping to stupid conclusions? The first sign of another man and you can't share for five minutes."

"You can keep slapping me." Nothing he could say would make it better. Maybe except that.

Anna cracked a smile. Tempting. The redness was gone too. James was too merciful with him.

"Good, you know how badly you did. We're not done... and the next time he comes around I expect you to make it up to him twice over. Or I might get creative."

"Yeah, let him kill you a couple of times."

If James wanted, he could have killed him plenty of times already.

"Oh, yes... one more thing." Anna was enjoying this a bit too much. Last one. "You actually died... in case you have some illusions of making it out. And we didn't have the means to bring you back. Without the outsider. So..." She made sure that Nathan got this. "You're alive because of his mercy. Because HE... the man you tried to murder over your idiocy... gave you a second chance. So... live with that."

Remember that part about the soul falling through the floor? Imagine that soul hitting something hard enough to leave a crater. People underestimate emotional damage... how little it takes to cause it and how much it could hurt compared to the physical. Yeah, that would stay with him for a long time. Remembering he owes his life to someone he wronged.

"Seems like he's getting it. Well, good luck getting back up. James said it's gonna be two days. Dinner's in the freezer!"

Pam skipped away feeling a good deal better. Her mother gave the man one last look that... had some promise. Yeah, it was not over, but he fucked up so hard that he might be paying for it a while. She turned to go, leaving him in the room with his thoughts and the awareness that he was going to have this recovery hurt. No dinner for him today.

Nathan considered he could be worse off for what he did.

*

Smoking was harder now. James found himself coughing a lot more often. He needed a good mug of coffee and a cigarette when he got back. The man was still processing it. This was... more than real. It was not just his bruise that gave proof of that... but when he looked at the parka hanging by the door.... There were not only three holes in it, but something heavy and deadly in the pocket. There is so much to process from this event.

Yes, what was happening there was not just real, but it translated back. He could now possibly create things just to enrich himself. He had a repeatable means of going in and enjoying it. The man could just turn it into a personal paradise... No doubt the colonists might give him anything he wanted... just fill it with people who would eagerly please him. People dreamed about such things. And he had the opportunity. He could supercharge Anna to keep him there for weeks. The man could just cheat the stats and give her enough heat to just hold him there long enough to make the time outside feel trivial.

He could do that and more. His brush with death was also concerning... the man felt like a hypocrite. Twenty years of wanting to die and now when the chance came he fought it. But he saw the reason why he fought it. Not any earthly matters... he had nothing here to motivate that fight. No house, no girlfriend... his family was just... a fact. He had minimal love for them, a reflexive one that went no further than just wanting for them just a bit more than he'd want for a stranger. The man hadn't contacted them for weeks, he'd come to this city to be far away from them and build his life on his own.

But... he now had something that he wanted to protect, to defend... as well as he could. Even if Pam was not such an eager minx that loved him so, even if they would not offer sex so eagerly... he'd have wanted them to keep going. The game was a story generator... at times that story ended badly, but he wanted it to go well. He wanted all stories to go well, screw the whole world being cruel. He wanted things to go well. And that was even before the game did THIS. He was giving them supreme defense, comfort, and a better life than you can have even in his world... when those pawns were nothing more than bits of code.

Now they weren't. Pam was a person. And she loved him... and she was a kinky bitch. It was like he MADE her to be his perfect girlfriend. But that was not the intention... he just wanted a decent builder for the base. You need one with his ambitions. He was tempted to cheat... give them a full array of those top-tier bots that could do every task other than the artistic and intellectual ones. But something stopped him. He felt like that challenge was needed... like it would mean less if he did so. Sure, they might buy those bots someday if he could scrounge the silver... or make them if they got good enough. They were expensive but powerful.

No, keep with a more fair game. Unless the game was being stupid. Maybe he might give them some silver whenever Randy was being a bitch. Back inside.... Time to continue.

The next time he came, he wanted the place to be a bit more comfy. It would be a while.

*

Six months. Nathan managed to earn some good graces in this time, mostly with a lot of apology sex. Things moved forward, if still slowly because there were only three able people. Anna would get pregnant again just before the babies moved up to walking, talking, playing, and being a bigger nuisance. They were mostly kept inside, the furthest they could go was the courtyard, or they could explore the entirety of the tunnels that would one day contain rooms. Without fail, whenever guests arrived, they were contained to a section on the east of the complex, one containing a playroom, bedroom, and classroom.

Pam first focused on smoothing out the rooms used more often. This made a HUGE difference... made the place feel less like a mine shaft and more like it was a fancy home, with smooth granite and marble surrounding them. It felt like it was getting better. In between smoothing rooms, she'd go give researching enough to make one more breakthrough... slow work, but she could figure out new things to build... one at a time. It would often lead to her building those things once she was done.