Jamie - The Journey Begins Ch. 29 - Frost, Sunshine and Pastry

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Reading the media release, it jumped off the page at me.

'The Minister has the great pleasure of announcing today, that after an exhaustive process, the search for a new Chief of our fire service is complete.

Demonstrating a long and diverse career with wide experience in the new and emerging fields, someone that will lead our service into the future with solid operational and people-first credentials, it gives me great pleasure to announce that Raine Wilmer, the current Acting Chief Fire Officer, will take over as Chief as of 1st July.

Raine has demonstrated during his time as acting chief those attributes that will guide the fire service forward. He has served us well during his term and we look forward to the future of the service under his leadership. Please help me congratulate A-CFO Raine Wilmer.'

"OMG," I was fully speechless for ten seconds - for me that's almost a lifetime, right. "You mean I've just resigned to the new incoming Chief... WOW! Congratulations Chief! You are the right person for the job! What, that's a fantastic outcome for the service, the state!"

Shaking my head a little, I felt like I was going to burst. "Wow, I'm blown away."

"Thanks, Jamie. Do you think you can keep it to yourself till after the presser at 16.30?"

"Thank you again for everything and all the best, Raine." I was feeling kind of sad on some level, in that I wouldn't be part of what was going to be a fantastic wind of change, but my future wasn't here. It was with Ben in Texas.

Almost on cue, Raine's phone started to ring. "I'd better get this, Jamie. I'll speak to Rob and we'll catch up for a quick beer before you go home, ok?"

"Sure Raine, and thanks again."

I slipped out of his office and stopped by a few of the guys I missed on the way out, saying hi and catching up on what's being going on. None of them had a clue.

Before I even knew it, I was walking out of the lift and dropping my swipe pass in the little slot normally used for visitors to return their day pass. Guess I wasn't going to need it anymore!

Thankfully, I was able to escape out the front doors unchallenged. Bec was on a break and I didn't recognize her reliever. Truth be known, I didn't want to stop and talk to anyone. I was feeling far too emotional on so many levels, both about Raine but also my resignation.