Jewel of the Hoard Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's nothing I haven't seen before, Aries. Especially since I can guess what you two were up to," she said with a knowing smile. "You two seemed to have cemented your own royal line, ehh?"

She snickered and Cadmus immediately put his hands to his cheeks and his wings gave an adorable flap. "Well, not exactly...it's hard to do that since we are both male b-"

Aries shot Cadmus a look and the dragon looked like he would be blushing as red as a bundle of cherries. The small breath of air he made gave a puff of smoke. He blinked, his expression deadpan before there was a moment of realization.

He snorted but not before Giscela burst out in joyous laughter. Aries's chuckled, his lover finally in on the joke.

"How can you tell we did anything?" Cadmus sheepishly said, his body shifting to the side and his voice having a sing-songy tone to it.

"Well, first you admitted it," Giscela chortled. "Second, I can smell it."

Aries' gasped and Cadmus made a sound that was comparable to a quiet raspberry. Giscela was ecstatic, her laugh echoing throughout the cave.

"Oh, relax you prudes. You act so innocent but I know that I am in the company of two beasts now," Giscela teased and looked from Cadmus to Aries.

Eventually, the three's laughter began to die down and they were left with a pause.

"Gods, what company I have come across," Giscela said and she happily waded her feet in the water. Although Giscela seemed in better spirits, Giscela's eyes told a different story and the fact that her smile was only half its usual brightness.

Aries reached forward and placed his arm on her leg. "Listen, you do not always have to be strong or hide how you feel."

Giscela's voice was unsteady, the words she was going to say stopping mid breath. She still had a smile, her eyes crinkling at the sides. Rolling back her shoulders and sitting straight and proud, Giscela steadied her resolve.

"I am not okay, Aries. You can sense that here, but there must be someone who can stand tall even when facing the fiercest of storms. If I cannot take the weight that the crown puts on me, then the people will not stand beside me when I call for their aid."

Cadmus moved forward, his large body pushing water around his body and off to the sides. "You at least have two that stand beside you now. I am willing to carry some of your burden."

Placing his arm across his chest, Cadmus curtsied and Giscela beamed. "You will be a fine advisor to my flock, Cadmus. With your age, you have honed your wisdom to a sharp tip like a knight who maintains their blade. I value your input."

Cadmus gave a pleased trill, his mind already imagining himself among rows of books in Rendelen's libraries and combing through their most ancient tomes. If anything, humans did love the history of themselves and Cadmus was more than eager to have a peek. Although it was just a title for now, Cadmus already had a grandiose dream.

Giscela's gaze moved to Aries. "And you, my dashing knight, are one of the bravest men that I have ever had the pleasure of coming across. You will be at my side as my champion."

Aries bowed low, one arm behind his back while his other crossed his chest. "I'll spill my blood and take a thousand arrows to honor such a prestigious title, my Queen."

"Errr, let's hold back on the arrows, my love," Cadmus whispered.

Aries smiled. Cadmus always had a way with words and this time was no different.

Giscela's smile widened. "It is a new beginning. I have already mourned for my father long ago before he was killed. We shall go to the capital at dawn tomorrow. It is not ideal for any of us but it is a journey that gives us three days to prepare a plan. Does anyone have something different in mind?"

Although Cadmus and Aries shared a hesitative glance, they both knew that the day they would step forth into the capital would come upon them at some point. Giscela's stern but sure voice was what both of them needed to come to move forward. Aries knew that the only place he would find answers about his father was in the Capital and Cadmus knew that the only way to grow his influence and his army was to influence the powers that ruled the land.

"No, my Queen," both answered together.

"Then it is settled. Tomorrow, we leave the cave we have called home and go forth to Rendelen."

With that, it was final. There were no loud trumpets or rousing applause. The cave itself was once again quiet but the trio knew that everything was about to change. Each step out of the safety of their home was going to have uncertainty but it was not like their lives were stable to begin with. They were a knight, a dragon, and a Queen like some strange, obtuse chess game.

The three had much to think about on their last night in the place they called home. For two months, they all grew together as people inside the rocks. Now, it was time to truly make a difference. For some reason, each of them knew that gears were turning and drums of war were only moments away. They needed to convince the Senate that the murder was not done by someone operating on their behalfs. At the moment, the only thing that was certain was they would need plenty of rest for the coming journey.