Joining the Pack Ch. 09

Story Info
Anahid receives bad news.
7.8k words
4.62
4.7k
11

Part 9 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 02/26/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you for reading, rating and commenting. It's very much appreciated and really encouraging! This chapter is a bit of a slow burn compared to my previous pretty heated chapters. I'm getting a better feel for the world and characters so I explore that a bit more this chapter! As always, this is an ongoing story so definitely go read the previous chapters. Happy reading!

~~

Anahid bounced baby Aylsa on her lap. The little girl had Kayl's golden ringlets and Sim's bright blue eyes. From her vantage under the large overhang next to a quietly sewing Kayl Anahid could watch Kaev and the other warriors spar. She tracked his every move. Though he towered over the others he also moved with a deceptive quickness. There could be no doubt he outmatched all the other Lycans. Even Cobb who stood nearly as tall moved like a cock-sure puppy when he squared off with Kaev. In only a few punishing lunges and sweeps Kaev would have the other man tumbling to the ground in defeat, then he'd be whipping around, knocking back the next Lycan that leapt at him.

She leaned forward, interest peaked as Varick darted at Kaev. The smaller man was quick, lithe on his dancing feet as he circled. Anahid had sparred enough with him in the last few days to know he couldn't be underestimated. His laughing eyes seemed to see everything. His slender frame was deceivingly strong. They matched blows, Kaev relentless as he pressed against the smaller man. She had to give it to Varick, he could at least take a hit. Eventually Kaev's strength won out and Varick stumbled. Kaev pressed his advantage and had the other man defeated on the ground in the next moment.

Anahid swelled with pride (and other things) as she watched. Kaev stretched, offered a hand to Varick and pulled the other man up. Peeling her eyes from the practicing group she looked to Sim. He sat next to Kayl with another small child on his lap. In his human years Sim had trained under his village's healer and had fallen into that same role within Kaev's pack. Though the Lycans were long lived and robust there were still injuries and births to be watched over. He'd also taken on the role of mentor for any of the human-born Lycans.

Anahid, let her gaze slide from the somber man, found Kayl watching her with a slight smile on her face. "She likes you," the other woman said.

Baby Aysla warbled in Anahid's lap. Laughing, she bounced the little girl a bit more, pulled her tight into a hug. "It's mutual." She let her eyes run back over the lounging pack. Nearly half were out in the sun sparring with Kaev. A dozen lounged under the cave overhang with Anahid, sewing, caring for the few children, or preparing the night's dinner. The rest performed odd jobs around the valley in the fields, patrolling, or tending to their livestock. "Tell me Kayl, how many mated pairs are there in the pack?" She'd been wondering, trying to pinpoint it as they gathered nearly nightly in the large ringed pit for dinner and music and fucking.

Kayl cocked her head, seemed to count off pairs in her mind. "I think there are around ten," she mused.

Anahid glanced at the gathered children. Counting Aysla there were only two others younger than ten. She frowned. "Why are there not more children then? I know only mated pairs can bear children...but still... Why hasn't Variya had another child? Varick said he's nearly four hundred years old. Why have Variya and Ash not had another?"

Kayl twitched, surprise shadowing her face. She glanced around, lowered her voice. "Kaev hasn't explained?" she asked. Seeing Anahid's puzzled expression she went on, "Most pairs can only have one child in their lifetimes. A..." Kayl blushed. "A female goes into heat only once in a few hundred years, only then can her mate... you know."

"Impregnate her?" Anahid finished for the reddening Kayl. She glanced to Sim, saw his ears were perked as he listened.

Anahid gazed down at Aylsa. Shook her head slowly, "I don't think I understand still. You live hundreds, if not thousands of years. Surely even if you can't become pregnant often, you could still have several children."

Kayl glanced to Sim. The serious man cleared his throat. "A Lycan female's heat is a dangerous time. Sometimes her mate is not able to...catch her."

Anahid stared between the two of them, confusion still swirling within her. The normally open Lycans spoke now like this was some dark secret. Something embarrassing. She sighed, decided not to press them further. She would ask Kaev later.

Sim set the child he'd been looking over back on the ground and reached for Aylsa. Anahid passed him back his daughter. Watched as his serious eyes brightened in delight as he cuddled the girl to him. Aylsa squealed with happiness as he bounced her on his knee and chattered to her.

A long, anxious howl sounded across the valley. Instantly all heads swiveled to the sound. Anahid stood, goosebumps leaping across her skin as she sensed something was off. On the practice ground the Lycans turned as one towards the approaching wolves. Kaev leapt forward, transforming mid-stride into his wolf form and racing with Cobb, Variya, and Varick hot on his heels across the valley. Anahid and Kayl hurried to the edge of the overhang to watch them go. She twitched with the desire to change as well, to run after Kaev but knew she might only be a distraction if there was a threat approaching.

Eventually the wolves returned. The pack loped slowly back towards the waiting Lycans, Anahid stood on her tip-toes counting the wolves. Next to Variya, Ash ran. His wolf form slightly smaller than his mate's and a pale strawberry blonde. Anahid stiffened realized neither of the trackers that had left with him returned. The group reached the overhang and all reared, transforming back to their human forms. Anahid hurried forward. Grief yawned on Kaev's face. She grabbed his hand as the group made their way under the overhang into the gathering area.

Ash looked exhausted. More worrying, his normally smiling eyes avoided Anahid. Slid over her like he couldn't bear to see her face. "What is it?" she asked quietly, squeezing at Kaev's hand.

He looked down at her, his eyes welling with guilt. He glanced to Ash, gritted his teeth. "He says they caught the scent of the vampires. They traced it back to your village Anahid."

Her world tilted, cold seeped into her bones. Clutched at her heart. Her adopted family. Her kind mother with her crinkling brown eyes. Her short, laughing father. Her brother, Dymion. "Tell me," she whispered, meeting Kaev's eyes.

He sighed, tried to pull her into a hug but she wrenched from him, looked to Ash. "Tell me," she ordered, and her pack leader voice slapped the Lycan in the face. Ash jerked, whipped his head up to face Anahid.

He swallowed, the words tumbled from him. "They killed them all. All of them. They gorged on your family."

Rage erupted within Anahid. Hot and angry it swept over her and then she was transforming. Her wolf form leapt forward with a screaming snarl. She snapped at Ash, bearing her teeth, her hackles standing on edge. Then she was whipping around, racing back the way they'd come. She howled her furious grief into the afternoon sun. Reaching the treeline she found Ash's scent and followed it. Behind her she distantly heard another wolf gaining on her. She knew who it was. She would know him anywhere. Would sense his presence even as she raced in blinding anguish through the trees. Kaev kept pace with her. Together they ran, Anahid, glistening red and brown and gold with the giant black shadow of Kaev close at her heels.

When they collapsed in exhaustion having run well into the night Anahid curled into Kaev, still in her wolf form. He rested his giant head on hers, his tongue tenderly licked at her head, trying to ease her, to offer her comfort. She closed her eyes, let herself shake with grief against him. Eventually her ears pricked, two more wolves joined them. Varick, with his deep brown coat curled next to them. Cobb trotted around them, sniffing and scanning for any threats. His large wolf form was a sandy color that gave way to a dark brown muzzle and feet. He sat at Kaev's back on alert. Kaev yawned in greeting to them, then rested his head back on Anahid's, urged her into sleep. Surrounded by her pack, protected she let herself take the small comfort.

A few hours later she woke. Varick tentatively licked one of her paws. She yawned with a high whine and stretched, nuzzling into Kaev. The large wolf awoke, growled deep in his throat, snapping at Varick. The smaller wolf sprang up, backing away from them as they stood. Anahid leapt away from them, back on the trail of Ash's scent, back to her village. She needed to see it with her own eyes. The three other wolves ranged out behind her, Kaev stayed always close at her heels while Cobb and Varick disappeared into the trees around them.

The four wolves ran and stopped, ran and stopped. They caught only a few hours of sleep and Anahid realized their rhythm, always one of the others stayed awake, alert while the rest of them curled into each other in sleep. Anahid eventually even let Cobb lay his head on her side as he collapsed in exhaustion on the third day. He'd stayed awake the longest and finally Kaev let him sleep, opting to stand watch.

Eventually Anahid noticed the familiarity of the forest. This forest that she'd spent many long hours wandering, getting away from the village she felt so out of place in. Her heart thrummed, knowing they were close. She let herself believe for a few long minutes that Ash was wrong. That her family would be well, would run out to greet her as she barreled back to them.

The smell of smoke in the air told her to stop her hoping. It wasn't the comforting scent of wood smoke. Instead, it spoke of death, of burning flesh and a decimated village. Anahid broke from the trees, passed the well on the edge of their fields. A large fire still smoldered at the center of the silent village. Its ashes dark and foreboding. Anahid padded up to it, swiveling her head about, searching for any life. The other three wolves spread out across the village, poking and sniffing for any threat. Anahid changed course, away from the fire she trotted, to her family's small hut.

Further from the smoke she now caught the other scent in the air. The metallic tang was harsh on her nose. She transformed as she came to her family home. The door was thrown open. She stepped inside. The scent of blood was obvious to even her human nose. There was a dark splatter across the floor. The table in the center of the room was turned on its side. She turned in the room. Tried to imagine the last moments of her family. Her father would have raced out hearing sounds of an attack on the village. Her brother...would Dymion have raced out with him, or stayed behind to protect their mother?

Anahid righted the table. Bent to pick up the scattered earthenware plates.

Kaev found her carefully arranging the plates around the table. He loomed in the doorway. Blocked the sun like the monster he was. She continued tidying, refusing to look up to him.

"Anahid. We should go. It's dangerous to linger too long."

"Who's fault is this Kaev?" she asked quietly. She bent to pick up her brother's knife. So he'd stayed to protect mother. She couldn't decide if it was better or worse they'd died together?

~~

Kaev silently watched Anahid move about the cabin. She was beginning to worry him. He'd thought perhaps she would fall into howling, wailing grief once they reached the village.

Snarling with a need for vengeance had also been a possibility.

But this...this girl that moved like a ghost tidying a dead family's home...it unnerved him.

He tried again, "Anahid. We'll find them. They'll pay for this. But for now we must leave."

She finally turned to face him and cold raced up his spine at the look in her eyes. Emptiness. It was so much worse than he'd imagined.

"I think this is my father's fault, for abandoning me for these kind people to take me in." She took a step toward him, glanced to a bunk in the corner. "And it's my fault. If I'd never come to them they would still be alive." She looked back to him, her face in shadow. "But mostly, I think it's your fault."

She pushed past him out the door. Leaping back into her wolf's form she howled, raced back into the trees. Kaev stumbled after her. Her words stabbed at him and for the first time in his life he found it hard to transform into his wolf. When he was finally on all fours again he hurried after Anahid, realized she ran in the opposite direction to home. It was then he caught the scent she chased. Vampire. Howling in panic, he called Cobb and Varick back to his side and the three raced after the quick she-wolf.

She was too fast. She was going to get herself killed. If she ran into more than a couple vampires she could be dead before he could catch her. Kaev pushed his muscled legs into longer and longer strides. She was fast, but he was used to running, was much larger. He could catch her...eventually. Cobb fell behind as they ran headlong through the forest, following Anahid's scent as it mixed with the vampires she hunted. Eventually Varick also lagged behind Kaev, panting his exhaustion. Still Kaev pressed forward after Anahid. He finally spotted her darting tail a few hundred yards ahead. It gave him the surge of energy his quickly tiring body needed.

He charged after her, closed the distance slowly. She sensed him gaining on her, turned her head and snarled back at him as she leapt away. With one last rush of speed Kaev barreled into her, leaping at her to knock her to the ground. She snarled, tried to twist and scramble away from him but he growled, knocked her back down with his massive head. He pounced on her, grabbed at her neck with his jaws. She still snarled but her body went limp as she watched him with her furious green eyes.

To his surprise she shifted, her throat shrank under his teeth, became long and slender and pale. Anahid lay on the ground, tears streamed down her cheeks as Kaev stood over her. He stepped back, watched her for a moment to ensure she wasn't going to shift again. She curled into herself on the forest floor and finally cried. Sobs racked her shuddering naked body and Kaev nearly broke. She seemed so small again. So vulnerable.

Was this his fault? Should he have foreseen her family was in danger? Perhaps he should have left her to that human life? It was the first time the thought reared within him. Was he selfish for stealing her away? But she was his. His mate. They were made for each other. Life without her would be pointless. He lay next to her, offered his warm wolf's body as comfort. He set his head on her heaving shoulders, willed her to reach for him. She finally did. Eyes still squeezed tight with tears she rested a hand on his head, stroked her fingers through his black fur. Eventually her tears stilled.

Kaev glanced around. Cobb and Varick had finally arrived and stood on alert a few yards away. Kaev licked Anahid's face, forced her to look up to him. Her eyes were red, her expression back to the empty stare from the village. She held his eye, then eventually nodded. "Okay, let's go home."

She shifted again and the four wolves turned and loped back the way they came. Back to Kaev's valley. As Anahid moved beside him Kaev felt the distance yawn between them. Something today had broken. His mate looked at him like he was a stranger.

~~

The weeks passed in a blur after they returned to Kaev's valley. Anahid moved beside Kaev still, felt the weight of the pack. But the grief, the aching emptiness and guilt sat too heavy within her. She watched the other Lycans as they stepped carefully around her. Turned away from Kaev when he tried to talk, to comfort. Eventually he tried anger, grabbing at her jaw to force her to look at him. Force her to speak to him. She'd simply stared, met his eyes without defiance. Without anything.

She reveled in the pain in his eyes. It was an echo of her own. She wanted him to hurt. He wouldn't allow her to lash out at the vampires and so she punished him. With her silence, with her stiffness. Every night he pulled her into him, pressed her to his chest and murmured comfort to her. Sometimes her fingers moved with minds of their own to clutch at his chest. But she'd remember herself quickly, would go limp against him, force herself into sleep. A few nights he forced her to join the gathering but she sat stiff beside him, staring into the flames.

To his credit Kaev stayed next to her. She supposed over a thousand years of life could teach patience to even the most vicious of monsters. He shadowed her, never tried to push her, never looked to Besqa or the other unattached she-wolfs that tried to pounce on the distance between the two.

Anahid found herself alone for the first time in weeks though as she sat on their terrace. Kaev was below sparring in the sun. Anahid listened to the sounds of the pack below. Her pack. She didn't want it. Not if the price was her family's lives. The shame again welled within her. She'd just left them, with barely a second thought. Had been giddy with happiness as she fucked Kaev. Was her mother drained of blood while Anahid curled against Kaev? Was her father murdered as Anahid howled with glee at the center of her pack?

A soft knock at the door sounded. Anahid turned, brushed at the tears that threatened. Besqa entered the room. Anahid stiffened. She'd barely thought of that calculating she-wolf in weeks. The woman had barely said more than a few words to Anahid so seeing her enter her room like an old friend was jarring.

"What do you want?" Anahid said, unwilling to play whatever game Besqa had in mind.

Besqa smiled, she moved around the room like she belonged there. Perhaps she had, before Anahid came along. "I see he got a table for two finally," Besqa said as she ran a hand over the new table. "Did you know sometimes he'd call me up when he was busy working to suck his cock? He would pour over maps while I pleasured him." She sighed. "I do miss that cock in my mouth. Doesn't he taste delicious?"

Anahid stiffened, watched still as the other woman moved about the room. Besqa threw herself down on one of the cushions in front of the dark fireplace. "You know. If you're upset with him you could order me to...deal with him. At least until you make up." Besqa's eyes glittered with humor. "Or I could join you two in bed, help you...reconnect."

"Get out," Anahid said, her voice low with controlled anger.

"Just an offer Anahid," Besqa said breezily as she stood. She turned back to Anahid at the door and her eyes had lost their humor, they now glittered defiance. "Isn't fate funny? That it gives Kaev someone like you." She ran her eyes down Anahid in disgust, then she was gone. Shutting the door quietly behind her.

Anahid stood slowly, walked back into the room. She ran her fingers over the new table as Besqa had done. Angry tears now filled her eyes.

~~

Kaev spun around Cobb, dancing back as the large man lunged at him.

A crash sounded behind them and the gathered warriors all whipped around to trace the source. Splinters of wood lay under a terrace. The remains of a table by the looks of it. Kaev did a doubletake. HIS terrace. Anahid stood in the sun high above them, then she turned and disappeared back into their quarters.

Cobb hit him from behind, sending Kaev stumbling forward. Before the other man could capitalize on his surprise Kaev, dropped, rolled and then lunged back at Cobb, knocking the other man to the ground easily.

"Nice try," he said gruffly to Cobb as he glanced back at the terrace. He watched with a sinking stomach as Anahid walked back out. This time holding a chair. She sent it flying into the air. The warriors around him watched as it tipped end over and before crashing into the earth below.