Jump! Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I said "They already have them, as do you... my three Angels."

"Awwww." chorused my three Angels.

I said "I thought y'all might get honorary wings, since General McFarland could do that, like he made sure to give Julia credit for her fifth jump, and got her her wings. But, if they weren't awarded when Julia's were, I dunno if they will be."

Teresa said "We're getting certificates from the XVIII Airborne Corps for one jump with their Jumpmasters. But we're still 80% Legs. Anyway, I came over here to get you guys. We're about to have a very special ceremony..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My family had caught up to me as Teresa went over to Admiral Cordell. "Admiral, can you come here for a moment? There's some people you need to meet."

"Sure." said Cordell. Alison McFarland and her father joined our group as we went over to a group of six men, some with wives and children ranging in ages from about ten to infants just months old. I knew something was going on as I saw Keith Madden set up the camera.

"Admiral," said Alison, "you remember that story you told at the Hospital, about the six Rangers you operated on in Afghanistan?" (Author's note: 'Beethoven Virus', Ch. 02.)

"Yeah..." said Cordell as it began to hit him.

Alison confirmed it: "Well, sir... these six men are those Rangers... and the families they created when they got back home!"

"Ohh, myyyy." said Admiral Cordell, as the six men came to attention and saluted him. He looked totally stunned for a moment, then remembered to return the salutes. Then a huge grin formed on his face as he said "Look at all these beautiful children!"

As everyone began understanding, they began cheering mightily. Admiral Cordell went up to shake hands with them. Those quickly became man-hugs. Then the Rangers introduced their families.

After a few moments, people began taking photos. When they were about to get one big group photo, Cindy called out: "Hey! There's one more person that needs to be in this picture." With that, she pushed Teresa forward.

"Yeah, get her in here!" Cordell boomed. Teresa acquiesced and sat in a chair provided for her in front of Cordell. As the Rangers and their wives stood to his sides and the kids stood in front, to Teresa's sides, the oldest girl in the group asked why Teresa was in the picture.

Teresa replied "Admiral Cordell saved my father's life in Viet Nam, just like he saved your father's life in Afghanistan. None of us would be here if it weren't for Admiral Cordell."

"Cool!" the girl said and hugged Teresa, which Alison McFarland and Cindy did not fail to photograph. Then the group photos were taken.

And as all that was going on, Laura whispered to me: "And to Hell with Jeff Woolsey and the State Medical Board!" I nodded vigorously in agreement.

Afterwards, Ranger Halston came up to a couple of the Rangers... he'd met them before and remembered them; and they, him. Then introductions were made to the Rangers that were now TCPD Officers, as well as the Jumpmasters that were Rangers. They were a tight-knit group, bound in spirit by the Ranger Tab they had earned...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

BOW Enterprises was hosting a lunch of hamburgers, hotdogs, and fixins. Tickets had been sold to Townspeople for $2 per ticket, mostly just to get an idea of how many people would be at the lunch. The Military and Public Safety personnel and their families ate for free. That was good because I had a large family present.

General McFarland made a short goodbye speech, and he sounded like a seasoned politician... oh wait, that's what Generals are. Sheriff Griswold and Mayor Allgood also made short speeches thanking the General and the Military for bringing 'Airborne Day' to our Town & County.

And as the 'grand finale', so to speak, elements of the 82d Airborne Division Chorus performed at the lunch. They concluded with the song of the XVIII Airborne Corps:

"There's a job to be done so we're on the wing
Riding high neath the clear blue sky
Now we're out neath the chutes with an easy swing
As we land with a battle cry
Then it's tremble ye foes when we jump from the door
Though your numbers be many more
We're the demons from the sky, come to win or die...
We're the men of the Airborne Corps!"

Part 6 - Birthday Celebration

7:00pm, Saturday, May 8th. The Cabin was the scene of Marie Steele's Birthday Bash, and there was a large group to help her celebrate her 8th birthday. The Steeles came, including Selena. Teresa and Todd brought their boys. All of my kids and their mothers were there, except Greta and her mother, of course. The Muscones brought Pete. And Maggie Ross was there, ostensibly overseeing Betsy and Ben.

"Where's Cindy?" Teresa asked as she held baby Ben while everyone was talking.

Maggie replied "At the Hospital, with Callie. They moved Callie to a private room yesterday, and she had to kick Cindy out of there to get her to go to the Airborne Day event. When Cindy got back, Callie asked 'How was the jump?' She knew Cindy had jumped with the others."

Teresa said "There was a large conspiracy to get Cindy into a parachute and onto that airplane to jump out of. I think Laura told Callie, and Callie did her part by makings sure Cindy didn't stay at the Hospital."

Maggie said "I'm just glad that's over, and my daughter is safely back on the ground."

As I came up to them, Betsy lifted her arms in that universal sign that she wanted me to pick her up. I did so, then asked Maggie "How's Callie?"

"She's doing well." said Maggie. "As I was telling Teresa, they put Callie in a private room. Her lung is healing well, she's off the breathing tube, and she's even drinking milk shakes. But her arm is immobilized so that she doesn't move her shoulder and back, and that's annoying her to no end. I also think she's experiencing more discomfort there than she's letting on."

Teresa said "That rehab is going to be tough, and I speak from experience when I had similar injuries."

Maggie said "How long did it take to get over it?"

"I never did, not completely." Teresa said. "I still write left-handed and qualify with my gun left-handed. And I still have to work it out every day to keep limber and mobile with my right arm..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Marie got a nice haul of gifts. Some were cards with cash or gift cards in them, and some were art materials. Her favorite by far was the violin Selena gave her. It was not a Stradivarius or Gagliano, but it was a nice violin.

After cake and ice cream, most of the boys went upstairs, and New Lego City was getting a New Lego Police Station. Ian Troy and Jack Burke were in three-way video combat with Our Sheriff's Klingon Fleet... and when the game loudly played "WE ARE KLINGONS!", I knew who was winning. The Sheriff's quivering mustaches were my second clue.

Meanwhile, the redoubtable Bowser actually yelped as Marie attempted to play her new violin. He then hurried up the stairs to file a Police report of 'disturbing the peace' at that new Police Station. Carole had looked up on my iPad how to tune a violin and what the keys were, and Marie let her BFF give it a try. A few moments later, the first few notes of 'Who You Really Are' filled the room, stunning us all... and especially Teresa.

"I think I'm starting to figure this out." Carole said. All of us adults looked amazed at each other. Carole played a few more notes, then handed the violin back to Marie and gave her some 'pointers'.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Todd asked me to go up with him to check on the boys's progress on New Lego City. The boys barely noticed us, much less acknowledged us, as they worked relentlessly on the Police Station. Todd and I sat down on one the cots that one the boys would be sleeping on.

"Uncle Don," Todd said quietly as we watched the boys and gave the dogs skritchins, "let me ask you something: if it is Aunt Laura that the Governor nominates, and the Board of Trustees reject her nomination, who would you suggest we consider next?"

I allowed my head to turn and fixed my eyes upon my nephew. "I haven't thought about it." I finally said. "Do I need to?"

Todd said "The Trustees meet next Tuesday. And the word I'm getting is that if Aunt Laura is the nominee... there is a very strong possibility the Trustees will vote her down..."

Part 7 - Epilogue

Monday, May 10th. A framed diploma had appeared on the wall next to Detective Julia Rodriguez's desk, which said that she had successfully graduated the U.S. Army's Basic Airborne Course. The Chief and I had put our diplomas on our office walls in a show of solidarity.

Julia received congratulations from her fellow Detectives, and other Officers would come in during the day to congratulate her. She also took some ribbing from The Irreverent One, that being Vice Lt. Micah Rudistan, when he came in.

"Can't have too many Paratroopers around here, jumping into hot crime scenes." he said jovially. "But why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft while in flight, I'll never understand."

"Which is why you'll be a Leg for Life." replied Lt. Jerome Davis on Julia's behalf.

"You got that right." Rudistan said. Then he began singing, yes singing, a parody of a military 'jody', which is a marching song. "I'm gonna be a 'Chairborne Stranger'... live a life that's free of danger..." The Detectives laughed to varying degrees.

Then Rudistan said "I'll tell you this, though. This is just another example of Commander Troy taking care of his people. Geiger works for Alison McFarland now, and he told me that Commander Troy told her about you, Julia, and had her arrange with her father to make sure you got your fifth jump and your wings."

"You should find a way to thank Commander Troy for that." Cpt. Claire Michaels said as she came into the room. "And here's my suggestion how you can..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 5:00pm, there was a knock on my office door. Julia came in, followed by Teresa and Chief Moynahan. Julia extended a plain brown sack to me.

"Sir," Julia said to me, "I know you made the arrangements so that I could get my wings. This is a 'thank you' for giving me that chance." I pulled the bottle of whiskey out, and it was the good stuff: Eagle Rare 10 yr. old bourbon.

"Oh wow, the good stuff." I said. I reached down into my medicinal drawer and pulled out four shot glasses. As I opened the bottle and poured four shots, the Chief said "Mizzz Rodriguez, I've never met a Police Officer ranked Captain or higher that does not have 'medicinal' libations in a drawer."

Julia smiled and said "That's what Captain Michaels told me when she suggested I get this as a gift. And the Sheriff sold me the bottle out of his stash, at MSRP. He says it's hard to get Eagle Rare at stores, these days."

"And he's right." I said, then added: "And I suspect that if you keep up the great work you've been doing, Julia, you'll find that out about that medicinal drawer for yourself one day... as Captain of Detectives."

"Hear hear." Teresa said in agreement.

I set the bottle of Eagle Rare aside and stood up, and we all took a shot glass. "To what shall we toast?" the Chief asked.

I raised my shot glass and said "We have three U.S. Paratroopers and one Daughter of a Paratrooper here. How about to the Airborne?" That was enthusiastically agreed upon, and we clinked our glasses and toasted together:

"To the Airborne!"

Finis.

12