Just a Memory Pt. 02

Story Info
Young man continues recovery from tragic accident.
10.2k words
4.77
11.2k
8

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 07/26/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SirAuthor
SirAuthor
580 Followers

Part Two of Three

~~~~

PURE BARRY

Author's note: I wanted to include as much 'Scottish' dialogue and slang as I could, but the Word grammar program gave me fits, so I settled for interjecting occasional slang and a few, limited 'Scottish' exchanges.

I. THE GLASWEGIAN SISTERS

We arrived in Glasgow, late afternoon on a Sunday. Derrick would be in meetings through mid-Friday. He had arranged for a tour guide to show us the sites during the week. Monday morning at 7 a.m., Derrick left for his meetings. Our guide met us for breakfast at the hotel restaurant at 8:30 as prearranged.

Sophie was a bubbly, young woman in her mid-twenties. She was petite, probably 5'-2" and 110 pounds, pretty, and somewhat shapely with roughly a gymnast's physique. She wore her light-brown hair in a short, stylish cut - she was not hard on the eyes. The young woman who arrived with her, was a different story.

"I hope you don't mind; my sister, Lily, will be joining us. She is working up to be a tour guide and as you say, 'I'm showing her the ropes'."

Elaine answered, "She is quite welcome; the more the merrier, as we also say."

I didn't mind...Where Sophie was pretty, Lily was beautiful, gorgeous! At about 5'-5" and maybe 125 pounds, she was still somewhat petite, with a diminutive version of an hour-glass figure. Though wearing a knit-wool sweater, the swell of her breasts was evident as was her small waist in the somewhat form-fitting top. Her hips flared out nicely, and her snug leggings revealed perfectly sculpted legs. Her angelic, porcelain-smooth face, was highlighted by crystalline, light-green eyes, a well-proportioned nose, a delicate chin and a small mouth with shapely, full lips. Her beautiful face was perfectly framed by very long, honey-hued auburn hair, worn in a loose ponytail and swept forward over one shoulder. Okay, maybe I'm drooling on the paper a little, but the sister was stunning.

"Hello and thank you. I promise I won't be a nuisance," Lily said, apologetically. Both sisters spoke in high, lilting, melodic voices - very pleasant to listen to.

"Nonsense," Elaine remarked, "We're glad you're joining us."

"Nice to meet you both," I put in.

Sophie recommended we have a 'full Scottish breakfast' as we would need the energy. It consisted of bacon, square 'Lorne' sausage patties, 'tattie' scones (in place of 'American' hash browns), baked beans, eggs and orange juice. Elaine added hot tea and I added coffee.

After breakfast, we started out from our hotel by subway, traveling to the city center, then walking about downtown to see a few of the significant sites. Though petite, with shorter strides, our guides were not slow of foot; even with my longer stride, I was kept moving; and Elaine, I think, was ready for a break by the time dinner rolled around. I discovered 'dinner', which is taken around 1-2 p.m., is their main meal. I was glad we walked off breakfast because dinner was just as filling. Our guides had haggis, neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes), along with an iced glass of Scotch whiskey, which surprised me. Elaine and I tried Scotch meat pies with tatties, and passed on the whiskey. Elaine had the strong Scottish tea with milk and sugar, and I took advantage of the available espresso drinks, having a couple lattes. Enough about food; just wanted to give you a 'taste' of our introduction to Scottish cuisine.

At dinner, my accident and resulting health issues came up and I had to fill them in. Other than their condolences and expressions of sympathy, they were surprisingly non-plussed and didn't react as dramatically as many do, rather injecting humor into the conversation.

Sophie chuckled, "I don't know if losing your memory is so awfully bad; there's a lot of things I've done I'd rather forget."

Lily chided her, "That's because you drink too much and do the most embarrassing things. Of course, I'm surprised you remember them at all."

"Lily, I'll pop you. Do you want me to start tellin' your secrets?"

"Okay, truce." Lily turned to us, "Sophie's actually a stalwart example of decorum and self-restraint...except when she's blootered!"

"What happened to 'truce', you huddy (lame brain). Don't suppose you mind if I tell them about your penchant for running around at parties in your knickers..."

"That was one time, and completely accidental," Lily quickly protested, blushing.

Elaine and I were cracking up, and this running dialogue between the sisters continued to our amusement for the rest of our time together. As we continued our sightseeing and visiting along the way, I discovered that where Sophie was bubbly and less self-restrained, Lily was a bit more reserved and introspective, thinking before she spoke, but lively, nonetheless.

We learned that Sophie was the younger sister at 25; that she had graduated Uni the previous year and began the tour guide gig until she found other employment. But along the way, decided she enjoyed it so much that she was going to continue with it for the foreseeable future.

We also learned that Lily, 28, had quit her last job a few months ago and was trying the tour guide occupation to see if she wanted to do it full time, or at least until something else came up.

Tuesday, we explored Sauchiehall Street with its numerous high-end shops and finished at 'West End' where we had a light snack at one the trendy cafes before returning to the hotel.

While we were eating, we talked about our individual lives, including how Sophie became a guide and how Lily came to join her.

"So, Lily, if I understood correctly, you quit your last job?" I questioned.

"Yes, um, see I was working in the same office as my fiancé and when we broke up, I didn't want to be there anymore. It was too awkward."

"Sorry to hear that," I replied.

"Awkward? I'll say!" Sophie added, "The dobber was playin' sink the link with another burd in the same office." (Dobber - dickhead) (Burd - female; and yes, it's spelled with a 'u'.)

"Sophie! Really; stopper your gob," Lily protested.

"Well, the huddy was," Sophie continued. (Huddy - in this context = idiot)

"But you don't have to advertise it."

Sophie changed the subject, "So, Josh, have you a love interest back home?"

"Sophie, really?" Lily scolded.

"How else am I going to find out if he's available?"

"Crivens, you've no limits," Lily complained. (Crivens - Wow; Good grief; Oh my...)

"Ye ken I deh," Sophie laughed. (You know I don't.)

"It's okay. I guess I'm very available. After the accident, I spent quite a few months recovering from my injuries, and after that, I guess as a result of my amnesia and mental issues, I found it difficult to socialize, especially with women. It's only been recently that I've overcome some of that. Until a few months ago, I was kind of living like a hermit."

"Sorry, Josh, I shouldn't have pried. Lily's right, I've a big gob and don't know when to stopper it. But I'm glad to hear you're available," she grinned.

I think I blushed, and Lily punched Sophie in the arm.

As we ate and talked, I caught myself looking at Lily and admiring her beauty. I was captivated by her unusual light-green eyes, which were perfectly framed by auburn eyebrows a shade darker than her hair. Occasionally, when I would glance her way, I would catch her eyeing me, and she would look away, a bit embarrassed. There was no denying I was attracted to her, and I was beginning to think she was attracted to me.

We continued sightseeing through Thursday. We took in George Square and the Merchant City district; Kibble Palace (No, it's not dedicated to pet food) and the Glasgow Botanic Gardens; the People's Palace and the Winter Garden, along with other attractions. All the while, I found myself more and more attracted to Lily; not just to her beauty, but to her. I had never had this reaction to a woman and didn't understand it. And though subtle, she gave signs that she felt something for me.

By dinner on Thursday, Elaine was gassed and said as much. After dinner, she retired to the hotel to wait for Derrick. After we saw Elaine back to the hotel, we continued to Kelvingrove Park and took in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. As evening came on, the girls suggested we hit an authentic Scottish Pub, the Islay Inn, located just south of the park.

They were excited to take me there and said I would get a more authentic pub experience than most of the pubs nearer the center of the city. Being a Thursday night, the place was not too crowded, but lively, nonetheless. We found a comfortable table, just as four musicians set up to play. The girls told me it was an 'ad hoc' band - just some friends getting together to play; that the 'professional' bands played on Friday and Saturday. This group played a lively mix of traditional Scottish music, adding to the 'authentic' atmosphere. They were not mic'd up so they weren't too loud.

We sat and visited with locals, and at my request, didn't bring up my amnesia. When the musicians broke up, the pub quieted down to a moderate drone of conversations and was more to my liking.

When Sophie and Lily discovered I liked beer but wasn't too keen on whiskey, (which they spell 'whisky') they made it their mission to introduce me to all the Scottish beers in the pub, starting with their 'national' beer, Tennent's, the brewery of which, is in downtown Glasgow. After that, I got to sample some craft beers then some 'cask' ales. I loved the cask ales which were very flavorful. They lacked some of the carbonation of beer and were served at about room temperature; nevertheless, they were my favorites and what I stuck with after all the tastings.

So, we sat and chatted with several people, different ones at different times. Americans were not a complete novelty here, but being a Yank, plenty of Glaswegians were interested in 'having a blether' with me. Occasionally, I would have difficulty understanding some of them, requiring Sophie or Lily to translate a thing or two for me. With all the beer, I was fortunate this place had a good menu of 'pub grub'. For the record, this was the most alcohol I had consumed at one sitting in my 'new' memory, and probably in my life. Also fortunately, it was at a leisurely pace as we were there for almost three hours drinking, eating and 'having a blether' as they call chatting.

"I think I've had it," I informed them, "Don't know if I can even stand up."

Sophie laughed, "Ye're oot yer face!"

Lily said, "You Yanks, such lightweights. We'll get you home, then."

Sophie suggested, "Our flat's just a short way. We could walk there and get sobered up in the process. I have coffee, and could put some on if you like?"

"Sounds like a plan," I answered.

When I stood, I found out just how drunk I was. The room swayed - actually, it might have been me.

"Here, we got 'cha," Sophie remarked as they each hooked an arm, and we headed out.

We had to be a sight leaving the pub, the tall Yank with two short lasses holding him up. I'm sure there were some comments that would have made my ears burn.

II. TRUTH OR DARE

It was a crisp night and the cool air felt good. It turned out a 'short way' was almost a mile, and I was well on my way to sober by the time we got to their apartment. The sisters shared a small two-bedroom flat in a large apartment complex. We took the stairs up to the fourth floor - as therapy for me.

When we got to the apartment, Sophie unlocked the door, then headed straight to the kitchen to make coffee. Lily went to the back of the flat and unlocked a door leading to a small balcony. Sophie brought the coffee to the balcony. I was feeling better, but it was welcome. She also brought out some smoked salmon and 'plain bread', a white bread that has no crust on the side, kind of like a dinner roll in loaf form. We gathered around a small table and looked out at the city lights that seemed to stretch forever. It was a calm evening and very pleasant, if a bit chilly.

"So, Josh, how did you like the pub?" Lily asked.

"It was a blast; different from most of the bars I've been to in America. I was surprised to see so many families in there (no children, though), and just how friendly everybody was."

Lily explained, "Yes, pubs are a regular gathering place for us. On given nights you'll find the same folks visiting, some drinking, some snacking, and of course, everybody's having a blether."

"And you were quite the hit," Sophie remarked, "You didn't ask a lot of the silly questions that many tourists ask, like, 'Why aren't any of the men wearing kilts?' and, 'Why isn't there a set of bagpipes in the band?' You'd be surprised at what some come up with," she laughed.

"And you were a hit with the lasses," Lily added.

"What, really?" I asked, surprised. I hadn't noticed.

"Several were giving you the eye, and not just because you're a Yank," Sophie added.

"Oh, I think you're having a bit of fun with me."

"Why do you say that? You're dead handsome," Lily remarked, then dropped her eyes and blushed.

"See, you've even got Lily all ga-ga over you," Sophie giggled, then to Lily, "Hey, I saw him first."

"Mince, you huddy! We saw him at the same time," Lily remarked, feigning ire. (Mince - nonsense)

"Girls fighting over me; that's a new experience."

Lily remarked, "I know you said it was difficult - with women, but not so much anymore?"

"Actually, for a long time, I had trouble even having a conversation with a pretty girl."

Sophie laughed, "Well then, you should have no trouble talking to Lily, the minter she is." (Minter - hag; homely or ugly woman)

I assumed 'minter' was a pejorative, and let out, "No, Lily is quite beautiful," turned red, and dropped my eyes - my turn to be embarrassed.

"See, ye homely goose, he thinks Ah'm pretty," Lily parried.

"I think you're both pretty and you don't need to fight over me."

"You're right, Josh. I think we can share you a bit," Sophie joked.

"Okay, you ladies are something, and I've had a wonderful time, but it's late and I should probably call it a night and get back to the hotel."

Lily looked disappointed, "Are you tired of us? It's because of Sophie, isn't it? She's such a nippy, such a bampot!" (Nippy - sharp-tongued person; Bampot - whacko, crazy person)

"No, no, whatever you just said. I'm not tired of you. I just thought it was late, and you might be putting up with me because you were being polite. I'm enjoying your company very much..."

"Then why don't you stay, unless you're knackered, in which case, you can still stay. We'll tuck you in and get you up in time for the day," Lily offered.

"But if you're game, it's early and we can keep the evening going," Sophie added.

It was already midnight.

Lily explained, "Yes, we're off the clock, tomorrow. We can sleep in and get you back to your sister whenever we get you back, unless something's planned..."

"No, no plans..."

"Good, it's settled," Sophie said emphatically. Then she asked, "So Josh, what games are you familiar with?"

"Um, football, basketball, baseball..."

"No, silly, the kind you play in the home - Monopoly, Scrabble, the like," she corrected.

"I don't know. We would just have to try one."

Sophie turned to her sister, "Lil, what's yer pick?"

"I don't feel like a board game. Isn't there something more fun?"

"We could play 'Truth or Dare' or 'Spin the Bottle'. I have that game bottle our nephew left here," Sophie suggested.

"Crivens, girl! That always leads to trouble. I don't think so," Lily protested.

"What's 'spin the bottle'," I asked.

"You spin a bottle and whomever it points to has to answer a question or take a challenge. The way we play it's like 'kiss the person on your left', or 'take off an article of clothing', and so on," Sophie explained.

"I think Lily's right; that sounds risky..."

"Yeah, well that's the fun!" Sophie giggled.

"If you're game, I'm game. What was the other choice?" I asked.

"Truth or Dare," Sophie answered, "Same idea; you have to answer a question - usually something embarrassing, or get dared to do something difficult or outrageous."

"I don't know which one. They both sound equally dangerous..."

Lily, I think, joking, offered, "Or we can play 'Truth or Dare' with 'Spin the Bottle'."

"How would that work, Einstein?" Sophie cracked.

"Easy, you twally," Lily countered, "A person spins the bottle and whomever it points to has to do truth or dare. The 'Pointee' chooses which challenge. Whatever they choose, they must do, or at the discretion of the 'Spinner', they can perform the alternate challenge." (Twally - simpleton)

"Oooh, I like that," Sophie exclaimed, "but what if they refuse both?"

"Um...Then they have to remove an article of clothing...no if's, and's or but's...well, we'll allow 'butts'!" Lily joked.

"Oh, that's even better! We're going to need more to drink!" Sophie laughed and headed for the kitchen.

I spoke up, "Um, maybe this isn't the best..."

"You're not going to be the wet blanket, are you, Josh?" Sophie barked from the kitchen. "Lily, get the bottle from the bottom of the cubby."

"I won't be a wet blanket, but I don't know how much more I can drink."

"Well, you've no choice if you won't drink our fine whisky, we've only three bottles of Tennent's left."

"One will suffice, I'm sure," I replied.

"Oh, you're still trying to be a wet blanket," Sophie kidded.

Lily brought back a small purple bottle with an attachment on the bottom, and stuck in on the coffee table in the living area. The attachment was a suction cup that the bottle spun freely on.

(In Scotland, 'Spin the Bottle' is quite popular with families and children. Of course, it's not the version played by horny teenagers and young adults in America, or the version we were apparently going to play.)

I reached and spun it around, "What if it doesn't point to anyone?"

"Whomever it's closest to is 'it'," Lily answered.

After Sophie brought the drinks back, we gathered round the coffee table. We played 'Paper, Scissors, Stone', as they call it, and Lily won to get the first spin. It pointed at Sophie.

Lily asked, "Truth or dare?" Sophie chose truth. Lily asked, "Who's handsomest, Josh or Rob?"

Sophie scrunched her face up, thinking, "Ah'd say Josh, and Ah'm bettin' he has a far sight better body than Rob," she finished with a grin.

"Who's Rob?" I asked.

"A guy I date sometimes."

Lily piped up, "That twally! When's the last time he took you on a date?"

Lily turned to me, "They just get together to shag!"

"What's a twally?" I asked.

Lilly laughed, "A dimwit!"

"Aye, well Ah don't 'date' him for his brains!" Sophie cracked, and we all laughed.

Lily informed me it was my turn to spin. The bottle ended up on Lily, who chose truth.

"Who are you dating?" I asked.

"He wants to know who your shaggin'," Sophie joked.

Lily gave her a look and turned to me, "I'm not currently dating or 'shagging' anyone."

Sophie spun the bottle and it ended up on me. I chose truth.

She thought for a bit, then asked, "Have you been 'dating' anyone, lately?"

I laughed, "Not lately, and I've only 'dated' one lady since my accident, and that was only for a weekend."

"Crivens, ye're havin' me on!" Sophie exclaimed.

Lily asked, "Really, Josh, you've only been with a woman once in what, the last two years?"

"Yeah, it's kind of a long story, but as you know, I kept to myself for quite a while, just wasn't comfortable around people, especially women. It wasn't until recently that I started socializing; then I met this very nice woman and...well, we dated."

"So, how was the date?" Sophie asked, grinning.

SirAuthor
SirAuthor
580 Followers