Just a Memory Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SirAuthor
SirAuthor
579 Followers

We sat and talked, with Sophie recounting in great detail our previous evening of drinking and 'almost debauchery'. I was quite embarrassed, but Elaine and Derrick were thoroughly amused.

"So, you're off to Edinburgh," Sophie said, "You know they're a bunch of 'stuffed shirts' is the way I think you Yanks would say it."

Derrick replied, "Well, they may be a bit more reserved than Glaswegians, in general, but they still know how to have a good time. I must say, though, you folks are the most outgoing, fun-loving people I've come to know, and I always look forward to my time here."

When we sat, I ended up between Sophie and Lily; and Lily held my hand under the table, the whole evening. She was quieter than usual, and seemed distracted.

We ate, talked and drank until almost eleven, when Derrick and Elaine indicated they wanted to call it an evening. We headed outside and gathered on the sidewalk to say our goodbyes, everybody hugging and wishing each other the best.

When I went to hug Sophie, she wrapped me up in a bear hug, then leaning back, "You know, I'm jealous, I never got a proper winch from..."

While she was still talking, I clamped my lips on hers and gave her a 'proper winch'.

"Lordy," she exclaimed, and pulled me down and did it again, to a round of laughter.

I turned to Lily, "Lily..."

She wrapped her arms tightly around me with her face pressed into my shoulder. I pulled her head up and gave her a warm, heartfelt kiss. I hugged her against me, feeling her form, even through our coats. Honestly, I didn't want to let go, but didn't want to make a scene. When we separated, Lily went to dabbing away tears again, and I felt myself tearing up.

"If you get by this way again, Yank, you'll stop in, I hope," she breathed out in an emotion-choked voice.

"Unless they put a barricade around Glasgow and man it with machine guns," I replied, seriously.

We hugged again and parted company.

As we walked away, Elaine leaned over, "I think somebody fancies somebody."

"I do; quite a bit," I admitted.

"I was talking about Lily. I think she fancies you more than quite a bit."

IV. THERE AND BACK

The next morning, we left for Edinburgh by rental car. Derrick made a side trip to the Falkirk Wheel, a fantastic device that lifts boats from one canal to a higher one via this giant wheel-like contraption. Then he took us to a nearby statue of mythical sea creatures that resemble horses, called "The Kelpies;" a giant metal artwork that was quite dramatic and beautiful.

After we arrived in Edinburgh and checked into our hotel, we went to a restaurant which Derrick liked, and that served international cuisine. It was nice to get a 'traditional' American meal - no knock against Scottish fare; it was just enjoyable to have the change of pace. We relaxed Saturday and visited, with Elaine and I recounting our tour with the sisters, and with Derrick laying out the itinerary for our upcoming trip.

The next day, being Sunday, we stayed close to the hotel, relaxed and visited, only going out to eat. We had an early night and I was in bed by ten, but I don't think I got to sleep until after midnight and after watching tv for a couple hours.

Monday morning, we started our tour of Edinburgh. It is a beautiful city and quite different from Glasgow, with more of the traditional, older architecture, and more of what I thought of as 'old-world' Scottish. We took in the sights, making our way up to Edinburgh Castle on the main thoroughfare that runs through the city, called, "The Royal Mile." Derrick proved to be a great guide and host, and we finished the day back near the hotel at a pub.

As we were sitting and chatting, Elaine mentioned my mood.

"Josh, are you enjoying yourself? You seem a bit off."

"I'm having a wonderful time. This is a beautiful city, and, Derrick, you're a great guide - not quite as pretty as Sophie, but, still, great."

"Thank you, Josh, but I don't believe it's Sophie you're thinking about."

"Oh, yes, well, I guess I am a bit preoccupied. I apologize. Do you ever feel like you've left something undone?"

"Yes, I have. And I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you, I've recently taken care of something 'left undone', as it were..."

Elaine blurted out, "We're engaged!"

"Oh my gosh! Outstanding!" I left my chair and grabbed Elaine up, giving her a bear hug. Then I went and shook Derrick's hand and gave him a hug.

I reached for my beer and hoisted it, "My sister's getting married!" I shouted.

People throughout the bar lifted their drinks and toasted with hearty congratulations. The bartender sent us over a round of drinks on the house.

"When did this happen," I asked.

"I proposed last night," Derrick answered, "and Josh, I'm very thankful and pleased that you approve."

"Of course, Derrick, I couldn't be happier. I think you are a great guy and so happy and thankful you found each other."

Numerous patrons came by, on and off, and gave their personal congratulations, and each time there was a toast. By the time all the toasting was done, we were all about toasted, ourselves.

We walked back to the hotel and stopped at the coffee bar and got drinks for the room. I joined Elaine and Derrick and we talked about the wedding.

"When are you getting married?" I asked.

Derrick answered, "In January. It's not a traditional wedding month, but we didn't want to wait, and it was the earliest we could be sure that we could get things organized and get the venues we want; and I'm hoping you'll act as my best man."

"Of course, absolutely. I'd be honored."

We talked about the wedding and their plans for the future. They told me they were having a house built on a property that was just a couple miles from mine. We discussed the plans for the next couple days in Edinburgh, and that after that, we would be heading to Inverness via the Scottish Highlands.

After finishing our coffees, I retired to my room and went to bed, but couldn't sleep. I went to my balcony and looked out over the historical town. Our hotel, a grand old place, was situated such that, from our rooms, you had a view down the Royal Mile. There were still quite a few buildings lit up. It was a lovely sight, one that I would have normally enjoyed much more.

I thought about Elaine and Derrick and the news they sprung on me, but mostly I thought about Lily. We had been together for less than a week, but I had strong feelings for her and was missing her terribly. And I was upset, feeling completely undone. I was afraid I was going to make a serious mistake - either putting too much stock in my feelings for Lily - that it was a passing fancy which I was blowing out of proportion because of my lack of experiences; or that it was what it felt like, and if I didn't act on it, I would end up regretting it. And what it felt like was love - love at first sight, maybe; but love, nonetheless. It was the only way I could account for the feelings I was having. This was the first time I had thought of that word, and it scared me; and how could I be in love with her when I didn't really know her. I was confused and uneasy and slept fitfully when I did sleep.

The next morning at breakfast, I guess I looked a little bedraggled, because Elaine commented.

"You look like you didn't sleep well, honey. Are you okay?"

"Yes, just a lot on my mind and I did have trouble sleeping."

"Josh, Derrick and I were talking and, well, we think you need to reconsider something."

Derrick broke in, "Josh, we think you should go back to Glasgow; go back and see Lily; see about that 'something left undone'. If there is something there, you need to know, to give it a chance. You owe it to yourself and her to find out."

"Yes, dear," Elaine put in, "I know you're probably worried about making a mistake, that your judgement may be clouded by your past and your amnesia; but in my opinion, you need to find out how she feels; be certain you're not passing on something special and regret it later."

I countered, "But you planned this great trip and..."

"Nonsense," Derrick interrupted, "We can do this together another time. Elaine and I will be fine. And honestly, how much would you enjoy it with your mind where it is now?"

"You're right, you're both right. If I don't go, I'll never know, and I'll regret it."

"Then it's settled," Derrick concluded, "You'll need to pack. I got you a ticket for the train to Glasgow, and the next one leaves in...just over an hour, and you have reservations at our hotel there."

"What? How did you know I would be going back?"

Elaine answered, "We didn't know, but Derrick said we should be prepared in case you decided to pursue this, and that he didn't want you to have any excuses not to go."

Haltingly, I said, almost to myself, "I guess I better get packing."

Derrick said, "I'll get a cab to run you to the station; chop, chop, let's get a move on."

V. SORRY JOSH, I MET SOMEONE...

On the train ride there, a lot of thoughts and emotions swam around in my head - doubt, anxiety, anticipation, hope...but the bottom line was - I had to know. Besides, if I didn't see her again, I feared this pit in my stomach would never go away.

That night, in the hotel room, I rehearsed what I would say the next morning. It never seemed to go the way I thought it should. I finally fell into a restless sleep. The next morning, I called Sophie's cell.

"Hi Josh, good to hear from you. I'll get Lily."

"Hi Lily, I was wondering if we could get together; I'm back in Glasgow."

"Oh Josh, I'm sorry, I've met someone..."

I woke up shaking, covered in sweat. Good grief!

I laid awake the rest of the morning.

After showering and dressing, in spite of the knot in my stomach, I went downstairs and ate a light breakfast, then went and sat at the coffee kiosk sipping lattes for almost an hour, stalling. Finally, around ten, I called Sophie's cell.

"Hi Josh. Oh my gosh, so good to hear from you. How's Edinburgh? How's your trip going?"

"Good to hear your voice, Sophie. Edinburgh's beautiful, but it's not Glasgow. Are you doing the tour guide thing?"

"Oh yes," then conspiratorially, "We're dragging this lovely old couple around, and they're sweet, but not as much fun as you and your sister - bit of a let-down. Listen, Lily's with them now, and I assume that's why you called. Let me go rescue her and I'll put her on."

"Thanks, Sophie. Nice talking to you."

I heard Sophie, off the phone, "Lil, there's some Yank on the phone for you..."

A second later, "Josh, is that you?" Lily asked, obvious excitement in her voice. My heart skipped a beat.

"Yes, Lily, and it's so good to hear your voice."

"Likewise, Josh. I wasn't expecting to hear from you so soon. How's your trip going?"

"Well, that's the thing - Edinburgh's really beautiful, but without you...I was wondering if you could join me..."

She interrupted, "In Edinburgh? Josh, I don't...I, um, I don't see how..."

"No, I'm in Glasgow, and..."

"You're here?! I don't understand..."

"I missed you, Lily. I had to see you. We have to talk." I managed to blurt out.

I heard crying, "You, you missed me...and you came back to Glasgow. I, I...Sophie, Josh is here..."

"Here, where?"

"Glasgow. He's here."

"Well stop blathering and blubbering; find out where he wants to meet; and give me back my phone...Yes, folks, just a moment..."

"Lily, I'm at the hotel? Where are you?"

"Oh, um, about ten minutes away by subway. I'll meet you there."

"I'll be in the lobby."

"Okay, bye."

I levitated to the elevator and somehow ended up in my room. I went to the bathroom, freshened up, put on cologne and headed to the lobby. I paced by the entrance, full of nervous energy. The knot in my stomach was joined by a whole 'knot' family and their relatives.

Two hours later, when Lily finally came through the door (actually only 13 minutes), my heart leapt up and stuck in my throat. She looked more beautiful than I remembered.

We threw our arms around each other and hugged. It reminded me of a scene from an old movie where two lovers, who thought they had lost each other, are reunited.

"You came back just to see me?" she choked out.

"Yes, Lily, just to see you." I separated us enough to look into her eyes, "You look beautiful."

"I like hearing you say that," she smiled and hugged me close again.

I was aware we were drawing attention, "Can we go to the coffee house and talk? Do you have time?"

"Of course. Sophie sacked me," she replied, grinning, "I'm off the clock."

We walked to the coffee shop, arm in arm. After ordering, we secured a table in a far corner.

"So, I'm not sure where to start, but here goes: Lily, I have feelings for you...strong feelings, and I don't know for certain what to do about that, but I want to see if you have the same feelings and figure out where to go from here."

"Josh, I was sick after you left. I don't understand why or how I feel so strongly, the way I do now, but I missed you terribly; and when you called, I just started crying. I know we don't really know each other that well; and it may be crazy that I feel like this, but I do. And I too want to explore that. But how, what do we do...how long can you stay...and then what...where can we go with this..."

"Whoa, slow down. I don't have all those answers, but I have given this a lot of thought, and here's what I've come up with - I'll need to make arrangements, but if you are free, I would like to take a trip, spend time together, the two of us, and get to know each other better."

"That sounds wonderful. And yes, of course I'm free. Sophie doesn't need me. I was just tagging along, learning the job. And I wouldn't actually start my employment until the spring season."

"For now, how about you rejoin Sophie and when you're done today, we meet at that pub we went to, Islay Inn, and we can visit. I need some time to put things together, make some calls and do some research; and I should have something worked out by this evening."

"That sounds great," she said, excitedly, then paused to think, "How about if we meet around sevenish? That will give me and Sophie time to go home and change."

"I'll see you at seven."

We kissed and she headed back to join Sophie. I went to use a computer at the hotel and call Derrick.

I arrived at the pub at ten to seven, got a table and put in an order, then waited by the front door. When the girls arrived, Lily was wearing a beautiful green and silver-heathered sweater that set off her eyes, and she had her auburn hair down and flowing around her shoulders. She was a vision.

Sophie ran up and threw herself on me, "You wanker, you really surprised us both. Honestly, I felt we would see you again, just not this soon; but Lily had her doubts. She was moping around the last couple days like somebody stole her puppy. Thank goodness you came back. I don't know how much more I could have taken of her."

"Shut up, you twit. You don't need to share everything that comes into that wee brain of yours."

I laughed, "Well thank goodness you two haven't changed!"

I led them to the table I'd saved and signaled the bartender on the way. He sent over the drinks and snacks I ordered. When we were seated, I asked Sophie how it was going and she regaled me with all the goings on with the elderly couple.

"They're both deaf as posts, and they don't walk, they shuffle! I'll be walking and talking, then turn around and they're paces behind me. So, I've been forced to take baby steps; I'm hoarse from yellin'; and worst of all - they don't drink!"

I was laughing, and Lily added, "And they have no sense of humor. It's dreadful."

"Well, Sophie, I'm sorry; I'm probably going to make it worse for you. I want to steal Lily for a bit."

"Oh, no worries. She told me, and I think it's pure barry!"

"That's good, right?" I asked.

"Oh, sorry, yes, means great, fantastic! So, what have you decided on; where are you taking my sister?"

"I discussed some options with Derrick and then checked on the viability of each - you know, availability of lodging, transportation, weather and such. And Lily, I hope you approve. I've secured a mountain chalet in Southern Germany, in Bavaria."

That sounds lovely, wonderful," Lily exclaimed, "How long will we be staying?"

"I've reserved it for a week, but if that doesn't work, I just have to let them know by tomorrow."

"Oh no, that will be perfect. Where in Bavaria?"

"Close to the German border with Austria, near a town there called Garmisch-Partenkirchen, at the base of the highest peak in Germany, the Zugspitze. According to Derrick and from what I found on the internet, the town and the area are quite picturesque; and they've had early snow so it should be quite pretty."

"Isn't this going to cost a fortune?" Lily asked.

"Oh, that's not an issue," I assured her.

Sophie cracked, "Oh, the lad is minted!" then turned to me, "That means rich!"

"No, no. I, um, financially, I guess you could say I'm in good shape."

"Yeah, that's what rich people say!" she laughed.

Lily, more serious, asked, "Are you sure about this, Josh?"

"Absolutely; as long as you have no reservations..."

"Oh, no, not at all; and like you said, it will give us a chance to sort things out."

"Then it's settled. We leave Thursday morning, okay?"

"Yes, and thank you. Thank you for coming back...and for this..."

She started to tear up. I stood and pulled her up with me. I wrapped her in my arms and held her. I felt Sophie's hand on mine.

She smiled and nodded, whispering, "You're a good man, Yank."

I nodded back, and my own tears started flowing.

The end of Part Two of

JUST A MEMORY

~~~~~

Continued in Part Three - JOURNEY'S END

SirAuthor
SirAuthor
579 Followers