Just Beth

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Life was tense around our house for the second night in a row. Beth was playing, and I do mean playing, the perfect housewife, and I was analyzing every word that came out of her mouth. We were getting ready for bed when I eased into it with a sledgehammer.

"What happened on that last trip with Carl?" The look on her face was one I can only describe as total fear.

I don't know what you're talking about? Nothing happened, I told you I just got tired of the job, that's all."

"Beth, why don't I believe you? I've known you long enough to know when you're lying to me, and right now you're lying through your teeth." She said nothing for the longest time. I studied her face.

"Steve, just let it drop. If you love me like you say you do, just let this drop." Her eyes were now tearing up.

"Can't babes, and even if I could, I wouldn't. Something happened and I'm going to find out what it was either from you or Carl, it's your choice." Her eyes said it all.

Her eyes didn't just tear up, it was more like the dam broke. "I'm so sorry it wasn't my fault," she cried out, rushing into my arms almost knocking me over in the process as she wailed on my shoulder. She was saying something about her and Carl but I couldn't understand a word she was saying.

"Beth, relax. Please, calm down," I tried to say to her, but it did no good as another round of tears erupted as soon as she looked at me. I figured I better let her cry herself out before trying to have a conversation with her. Twenty minutes later a limp, red-eyed Beth composed herself enough to actually look at me without crying.

"Are you okay?" I asked, trying to brush away what remained of her tears.

"No, but what's the point?"

"Beth, what happened and don't tell me nothing again?"

"It wasn't my fault, I didn't do anything. You have to believe me, Steve."

"Beth I believe you, please, just tell me what happened."

"We'd just finished up Wednesday with the customer and had taken him to dinner. We all had a couple of drinks to celebrate the new ad campaign. We bid him goodnight and Carl and I sat in the bar having one more drink. We were both excited and when we were finished Carl asked me if we could go over the layouts one more time. We went up to his room, that's when things went very wrong."

"Beth, it must have been late, why didn't you just say you'd do it tomorrow."

"Steve, he's my boss and it was my design. It's not the first time we had late night meetings. Well, like I said we went to his room and went over the three layouts they had selected. He asked if I wanted another drink and I told him no, that's when he started going on and on about his divorce which had been finalized the prior week. Steve, you have to believe I just listened to him go on and on about his ex. He was getting angrier and angrier as he went on. When he asked about you and me, I told him we were doing great. That's when he went nuts. He started yelling about what a loser and a pathetic piece of shit you are. Steve, I was shocked and just sat there with my mouth wide open listening to him rant and rave about you."

"Why didn't you just get up and leave? He's an angry man and the alcohol probably only fueled his rage."

"Steve, I tried. I got up and said I had to leave because I had to pack up everything. That's when things got out of hand. He said I needed a real man not a wimp and started walking towards me. He grabbed me and ripped my blouse and started lifting up my skirt." Her tears started flowing. My face got redder with every word she spoke. I could feel the heat building up inside all the while I struggled not to loose it—at least not yet.

"I screamed, kicked at him, finally pulling away, but I lost my blouse. When he started walking towards me again I opened the door and ran to my room, which was only two doors down. I somehow was able to slip in my card and make it work, how I'm not sure, my hands were shaking so badly. He called my room twice but I never picked up. I took the longest shower of my life. I just wanted to wash every trace of him off my body."

I stood up and paced back and forth. I was so angry I couldn't sit and did everything in my power not to lose it in front of my very distraught wife, she had been traumatized enough. I knelt in front of my wife and took her face in my hands.

"Honey, you did nothing wrong. I love you, sweetheart, but why didn't you tell me this when you got home?"

"The next day Carl apologized and said he had too much to drink. I told him that I was going to report him to his boss and that my days of traveling with him were over. Carl said that if I said anything he'd ruin me in the company. He said it was my word against his and that he'd tell everyone that I came on to him because I was having marital problems. He told me that he would let it leak out that it wasn't the first time something like this happened. Steve, I was scared. We were just getting back together and I figured that if I didn't say anything it would just go away. I was wrong. Two days ago Carl said I was smart not to have said anything. He told me that we had a trip next week and I would be going whether I liked it or not. I guess I just lost it about then. I had to get away from him and that damn company."

"Hon, you could have gone to Human Resources and told them, by law they are required to investigate."

"Tell them what? That Carl tried to rape me? Everyone in the office knew how chummy the two of us had become. Hell, he was taking me to lunch once a week. He's been there almost twenty years. Do you really think that they would have believed me over him? That's why I quit. I just couldn't go there anymore." Her head dropped and she started to cry again.

I'm not a violent man but right now if I owned a gun I would have gotten in my car and put Carl out of my misery. I knew violence was not the answer; I had three others depending on me. I was, though, going to get revenge for Beth one way or the other. I took Beth into my arms and just held her until my girls came in to see what we were doing.

"Girls, can you go upstairs and get your pajamas on for me. I'll be upstairs shortly to tuck you in."

"What's wrong with Mommy?" Linda asked, looking up at the two of us.

"Mommy's not feeling well right now, but she will be feeling better real soon." They both ran laughing up the stairs waiting for me to chase them like I did every night. "You okay?"

"No, but being here with you makes it easier."

"Go upstairs and leave everything to me."

"Steve, don't do anything please. I'd never forgive myself if you did something and were taken from us."

"Beth, look at me. I will do nothing to jeopardize our life together, you have my word on that." I kissed her tenderly on the lips and then on her forehead. "I've got two little ones to put to bed. I'll meet you in our bedroom."

A short story, a kiss for each, a little tickling, and it was lights out for my girls. Beth was already in bed and looked exhausted. How she could have held it together since that night I don't know, but at least the first of it was over. I held her until she finally fell asleep and for the next six hours I played it over and over in my mind figuring out what I was going to do. By the time she woke up, I had the kids off to school and was looking at settling a big score.

Two phone calls and a skipped lunch is how the first part of my day went. I briefly told Jill what Beth had said and told her I would need the rest of the week off. However, if she heard screaming this afternoon not to worry, I wasn't about to go to jail for murder, unless Carl was with him.

David Terose wasn't a big man, probably no more than five feet seven. Jill grabbed the sales manager and I led David into my office. We sat down. I offered him a bottle of water and then lowered the boom.

"David, my wife, Beth Moore, used to work for you up until last week."

"I know Beth. She was a hard worker and a great designer, I was sorry to see her go."

"Do you know why she left?" I asked trying to find out what he knew.

"Something about family problems, I think. I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with anyone in your family," he said in a truly sincere voice.

"Well, there is, but after today there may not be any longer," I said to a puzzled David. "Do you know the law firm Stewart, Stewart, and Edwards?"

"Who doesn't, they're the largest firm in the South East."

"Well, guess what? They are representing Beth in a sexual harassment suite against your company." That got his attention. "You see Beth's old boss, Carl, did something on their last business trip, and if I didn't have two little ones at home, I would have already put him either in the hospital or the grave depending on how it went." My expression was now stone cold. "I simply told them to put down a two and as many zeros as they wanted after that. The papers should be ready sometime tomorrow. I figured I'd give you a heads up since you were Beth's and are Carl's boss."

"Steve, why didn't Beth go to H.R. with her allegations?"

I gave him the story Beth had related it to me. "I think when the lawyers dig deep enough I expect them to uncover at least one other incident that Carl was involved in. A case like this is like candy to a baby in the eyes of the media. Mother of two little girls sexually harassed to the point of having to quit the job for her own mental health. They'll eat this one up."

"Steve, are you trying to blackmail Anderson and Phillips?"

"Not at all. I'm just telling you that the wrath of God is coming, and it's not going to be pleasant, that's all."

"So this whole meeting was staged so you could talk to me?" I just smiled. "If you'll excuse me, I have to get back to the office. It seems I've got a few things to take care of."

Believe it or not, we shook hands and I told him that it was personal but not with him. He said he'd be in touch and to please not to do anything for twenty-four to forty-eight hours. I told him I'd think about it. Grabbing his sales manager he was out the door within two minutes.

"I didn't hear any shouting," Jill said, walking into my office.

"No need, I think he got the message. I hate to put you in a bind but I've got a wife to take care of right now."

"Go, get the hell out of here, and if you need anything just call. Please tell Beth we're thinking about her." I packed up my stuff and left.

I found her still in her robe at the kitchen table, a cold cup of coffee in front of her. I walked through the door and she almost leaped into my arms. She didn't cry, she didn't say a word, we just stood there while I held her in my arms. The tears eventually did come because I could feel the dampness on my shirt.

"Don't worry, I'm taking care of it," I told her. We just stood there in the kitchen. "Go upstairs, take a hot shower, and put some clothes on. Mom is going to be bringing the kids home shortly and I'll figure out something for us to eat." That was the easiest thing I had to do in the last forty-eight hours. "Pizza Hut, I'd like to order a large cheese pizza."

With a pizza on the table and a new Netflix Disney movie life was good for my girls. Beth was looking better and I think a little relieved that everything was all out in the open. After a wild and tenacious evening the kids were tucked away in their beds but Beth was still bounding off the walls, glass of wine in her hands.

"How could I have been so stupid? You saw it, why couldn't I?"

"Hon, you were too close and I think Carl is an angry man who just snapped. Whatever the reason, don't worry. He's going to pay. One way or another, they're all going to pay." My blood pressure was starting to rise again. "No one fucks with my family and gets away with it," I said to myself. After one more glass of wine Beth was ready to go to bed. Exhausted and emotionally drained she climbed into bed, pulled me close and drifted away. Anger, frustration, and about ten other emotions raced through my body as I held my sleeping wife. "I should have said or done something earlier and maybe this wouldn't have happened," I said now starting to not only to second guess myself, but also to beat myself up for what had happened to my wife. Eventually I ended up falling asleep sometime over the next three hours.

I was letting Beth sleep in as I got my brood fed and ready for school. I told them Mommy was still asleep and that we had to be quiet. They giggled and told me okay. They smiled at each other while eating their breakfast. I drove them to school, gave them each a big kiss, and headed back home.

I don't like pizza very much and had eaten only one piece last night so this morning my stomach was letting me know, in no uncertain terms, that it was hungry. Eggs, wheat toast, and a few pieces of bacon bit the dust waiting for my wife to wake up. Around nine thirty I heard her rumbling around upstairs. She finally showed up about ten minutes later.

"What are you doing home?"

"I took a couple of days off, no big deal. I figured you needed me more than Greg did." She smiled and sat down on the stool next to me.

"I'm sorry about all this. I thought he was my friend."

"Nothing to be sorry about. You didn't do anything wrong," I said looking into her brown eyes that were still red and puffy.

"But I don't have a job any more. How are we going to afford everything?"

"Relax, trust me, will you?" I said kissing her lips. "It's not like we're destitute. Something will come along, so don't get all stressed out about it. Okay?" She smiled but it was forced.

She ate breakfast while I checked my e-mails. Jill sent me one telling me to take all the time off I needed. There were two others from vendors on my work e-mail and all the others were just spam.

Beth came down dressed and for the next two hours I watched her again bouncing off the walls. She did the dishes, then went from room to room looking for something, anything, to occupy her time. When your brain is used to going non-stop eight o'clock until five one day and then nothing, I imagine it is hard to adjust.

"Beth, let's go for a drive," I said grabbing her by the arm. We ended up at the mall, figures. While she looked through the racks of clothing I just watched her. I felt my cell phone vibrate in my pocket.

"Steve, David Terose called looking for you a couple of minutes ago. I gave him your cell number so expect his call. How's Beth doing?"

"Okay, I guess. We're at the mall shopping, really looking, trying to use up time."

"There's nothing like shopping to get a woman's mind off her troubles. Let me know if I can do anything." Jill said before hanging up. She was a good boss. Beth said she was going to try on a few things just before I got another call.

"Steve, David Terose here."

"What can I do for you Mr. Terose?" I asked.

"To speak bluntly, we talked to Carl and he told us an entirely different story," Terose started to say.

"Doesn't surprise me," I replied.

"And we are at loss as to how to proceed with this manner." He stopped, probably waiting for my reply or reaction.

"David, I don't give a tinker's damn how you proceed. We're going to go forward with our lawsuit and I guess that will be that."

"Mr. Moore, maybe we can come to some agreement." I stopped him.

"David, are you married?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well, if this had happened to your wife what would you do?" There was silence. "Now ask yourself, what's going to happen when my wife takes a polygraph test and passes it with flying colors. I know it's not a hundred percent fool proof and your lawyers will argue as much. But you and I know the jury won't look at it that way especially if Carl doesn't take one or fails his like I know he would. I don't care how good or slippery your attorneys are, you're going to lose, and my lawyers will get more than the pound of flesh they're asking for." I hung up on him and put my phone back in my pocket.

"What do you think?" Beth asked, walking out of the dressing room in a pair of jeans and a cute top.

"The jeans fit you perfectly and I like the top, but I can see your bra straps."

"Steve, that's the style."

"Take off the bra and let me look at it. Better yet, let's both go back inside the dressing room and I can help you."

"Like that's going to happen, mister. I don't think the store would go for us using their dressing room as a boudoir."

"I'll be quiet," I said whispering in her ear, my tongue giving it a quick lick.

"I wouldn't be!" She was probably right.

In the next two hours we hit four more stores, and walked away with one blouse. If it had been a guy, he would have tried on one and if it fit he would have been done. Hell, let's be serious, he probably wouldn't have even tried it on.

I made one call to our attorney, a Mr. Donnelly at Stewart, Stewart, and Edwards and told him about my phone call.

"The paperwork won't be ready for a day or two and if they call you back, just refer them to me. That's what we're here for."

At shortly before four in the afternoon Mr. Terose called again.

"Steve, we have an offer for you and Beth so that we can hopefully put this mess all behind us."

"David, I've been instructed to have you talk to my attorney from now on."

"Steve, I thought you said you'd give me twenty-four to forty eight hours?"

"I am, nothing has been filed yet. It's just that I need to have my lawyer review any and all offers in advance, that's what I'm paying him for." He wasn't happy to say the least.

"But don't you want to even hear our offer?"

"Does it include you terminating Carl?" There was a pregnant pause. "Then I guess there's no reason for me to even hear it." I gave him Mr. Donnelly's phone number.

"Who was that?" Beth asked walking into the kitchen.

"Wrong number. How about if we all go out to dinner? It's Friday night and none of us have to get up early tomorrow."

"Steve, we've got to watch our money a lot closer now that I'm not working."

"I don't think a trip to Johnny Rockets for a few burgers and shakes is going to break the bank."

Friday night was still a little tense but we did talk again. I reassured her that I loved her heart and soul and that everything would be okay. Did she believe me? Not totally but she was letting me run with it.

I got an e-mail from Mr. Donnelly and per my parameters he rejected their offer. He said that he wasn't surprised that they had tried to low-ball it the first time round. He told me not to worry, he would handle it. I wasn't worried but wanted my normal life and wife back.

By Sunday morning life was starting to get back to where it had been. We both knew I would have to go back to work on Monday and she would be left alone in an empty house. She finally asked what I was up to having seen an e-mail here and there and overhearing my conversations with this person or that. I explained to her what was happening.

"I just want Carl fired for what he did, that's all. Anderson and Phillips have been fair to me all these years, and I really don't have an ax to grind with them," Beth said

"It doesn't make any difference at this point. I had to pull them into it to get to Carl. Do you really believe that they would have said, 'Sure Steve, no problem, and what else do you want?' Not very likely. So when you bring out the big guns, negotiations take on a whole new meaning," I hoped anyway.

Sunday night we made love. I'd waited for Beth to make the first move not wanting to rush her after what she had been through. I didn't pound her and give her ten orgasms to show her she was still mine. More so we just started kissing and let it take its natural course. Goddamn, I loved this woman and was hurting because of what she had happen to her.

Monday Jill was hovering like a mother hen making sure I had everything I needed. She even went so far as to send Beth a bouquet of flowers and a pizza for lunch.

1...345678