Kate's Room Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kate cooked escabeche. She had been to the market and bought fish, which was served with stir fried mixed vegetables in a sweet and sour sauce. I could taste soy, ketchup and pineapple, it was delicious.

As I helped clear the plates away, Marygrace turned to me.

"Thank you, Matt for your help in setting the business up. I've enjoyed working with you."

I looked across at the two sisters, sitting at the table side by side.

"Like I said to you before, it's been a pleasure. You have a great team, they have made my life easy."

Marygrace looked satisfied with the response.

"Good, and I hope you enjoyed your dinner."

"Very much so, Kate's an excellent cook. Thank you," I said, smiling at Kate who returned the favour.

Marygrace cleared her throat. She wasn't done yet.

"Yes, she is. She's also a hopeless romantic, who -- "

"Marygrace! What are you doing?" Kate fired up at her sister, clearly embarrassed.

"who has in no time at all fallen for you. I know you have to return to Sydney tomorrow, and there are no guarantees on your return."

Kate held her face in her hands, disbelieving her sister would be saying these things to me.

"Promise me you will return. Promise me you will look after my sister. Our parents live so far away we can't see them very often. So Kate is all I have. My job, my sister, our house. Please don't hurt my baby sister."

Marygrace has spoken in a soft, lilting voice. I felt the full weight of her words though. I needed some time to think about my response when Kate reached her hand over and placed it on top of mine.

"Marygrace, Kate...in less than two weeks I've had a whirlwind time in Manila. I thought I was coming to help setup a business, instead I've met two very special people. I know you care about Kate, Marygrace, she's family. And I care about Kate too, a lot." I paused to let my words sink in.

"I'm not going to run back to Sydney and forget what has happened here. You know the visa application has been filed, you know my role is being replaced back home. I am coming back, and when I do, I will take extra special care of your sister."

Marygrace lent across the table and patted my arm.

"Thank you, Matt that's all I wanted to hear."

Kate kissed my cheek and whispered, "thank you".

The moment passed, a relief to us all. I thought it best to make my way back to the hotel, so made my apologies and said goodnight to the two sisters. Before I left, Kate grabbed by arm.

"Matt, I don't want to say goodbye to you here. Can I see you at the hotel in the morning?"

"Sure, if you would like. How about 10am, text me?"

"Yes. Good night Matt."

Kate reached up and kissed me. We held each other for a few moments, before I stepped out into the night and walked back to the bus stop, dreading the next time, the last time I would see Kate for weeks.

Saturday

Time does not stop. With a finality we both knew, Saturday morning dawned. Today I had to leave Manila and Kate. My suitcase was packed, airline seat confirmed online. All that remained was to check out of the hotel, wait for a taxi to the airport and say goodbye to Kate. As she said she would, she met me at the hotel. She walked slowly towards me and gave me a wan smile.

"Hey, gorgeous, how are you today?" I tried to smile back at her.

"Sad Kate today," she replied. I held her hand and squeezed it.

"I know, sad Matt as well. I hate doing this Kate, but you know I will be coming back."

Kate looked questioningly at me.

"But how do I know you not like other men, say one thing and do another. How do I know you will come back to me?" Kate asked me.

I took a deep breath. "It's sounds corny but please trust me. You know from Marygrace that the company has already filed my visa application. This is a serious move for me and you're a very big part of why I want to do this."

Kate still looked dubious.

"I told you I have not had much luck with men. How can I trust you?"

"Follow your heart," I said, pulling a small box from my pocket. I opened it and showed it to Kate. Inside was a small gold heart pendant on a fine gold necklace.

"Please, take it, it's yours."

Kate looked back at me, smiling but unsure. She picked the necklace out of the box and held it up to the light, the golden heart spinning and shining. I put a hand out and stopped the pendant.

"This heart is made of two pieces that fit together. Like us."

Taking it between my fingers, I pulled at it. One half of the pendant came free, which I held onto. I let go of the necklace which swung back towards Kate's hand.

"We are two halves that make a whole, Kate. You keep your half and when I come back to you, I will give the other half. Then we will fit together again. I promise."

Kate looked up at me, her eyes starting to fill with tears.

"Thank you, Matt," she whispered. "I want to fit together again. Please come back to me."

"I promise you I will."

We held each other, silently. It was going to be a long few weeks, but I was going to come back to her, I knew it.


12