Kiss the Darkness Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One by one, Christian rejected each item that he looked at. The proprietor of the shop following behind him, still trying to make a sale. Christian paid the man little mind as he perused the merchandise. The store was filled with bobbles and curiosities but nothing seemed to strike his fancy. He was about to leave empty handed when something suddenly caught his eye. A gentleman's grooming kit, contained in a wooden storage box. Christian motioned for the sales clerk to attend him. "I wish to see that item." He said, pointing to the kit.

The clerk smiled a large and eager smile as he stepped behind the counter. "I most excellent choice, Sire." He removed the kit from the display and sat it onto of the counter with the lid open so that Christian could see it's contents. "This truly is a gem. A true gentleman's kit." He took out one of the two razors and held it in his hand. "You see the pearl encrusted handle? Made from pearls found in the Chargoney sea. The brush, made from the finest badger hair. And the soap..." He replaced the blade then picked up the soap which was encased in a silver lather bowl, and opened it, allowing Christian to take in the scent of the soap. "Oak moss and ceder wood. The very best."

Christian placed the bowl in his hand and inhaled the aroma. It was very tantalizing to the senses and the natural, woodsy, scent somehow reminded him of Alexander. He could imagine Alexander spreading the mixture over his face, allowing the scent of it to soak into his fair skin. Christian closed his eyes and imagined himself leaning into him, brushing his lips across the soft, delicate, flesh of his neck and taking in the smell of him. He smiled to himself as he thought of how surprised Alexander would be when he too took in the sweet aroma.

Christian opened his eyes as he studied the bowl. Pure silver, or so the clerk had told him. It was decorated with an intricate floral design of vines, and detailed leaves, delicately embossed into the metal. The kit also came with a leather travel pouch, and a sharpening strap along with oil, and a vile of sandalwood cologne. It was perfect. Something practical and unique. A splendid gift and Christian was suddenly excited about the prospect of giving it to Alexander. "How much?" He asked as he closed the lid of the wooden box.

"Well, I'm afraid this item is a rarity my Lord, the price is not cheap. For something this..."

"The price?" Christian was growing impatient. He raised his voice to show that he would not be trifled with. Who did this merchant think he was dealing with anyway? Some farm hand or scullery maid?

"Thirty Ari." The clerk told him.

"Done." Christian took the leather purse that was fastened to the inside of his vest and counted out the appropriate currency and handed it to the clerk.

The smile on the Clerks face intensified as he bowed to the Prince. "Thank you, my Lord. A pleasure, as always, to serve to royal family."

The Prince tossed a gold coin on the counter top as well. "Wrap it up in piece of silk. Something elegant." He thought of Alexander's eyes suddenly and he smiled. "Violet if you have it."

The man nodded. "I have just the thing."

"Excellent." Christian watched as the clerk slid the gold off the counter and dropped it into his vest pocket. "I'll return in half an hour to collect it."

The man bowed then took the kit and disappeared into the back. Christian had one other stop to make before he could meet with Alexander. He exited the shop and crossed the street. His heart jumped as he imagined the look on Alexander's face. He could hardly wait for him to see what he had bought.

__________________________________________________

The young page nervously pulled the hood tighter around his head. He was certain the Prince had not seen him but still he took no chances. Prince Christian seemed preoccupied with his own business and scarcely glanced around the street. Curious though he'd left his horse tied outside the finery only to exit and enter the local bladesmiths shop. The boy waited in the shadows for any sign that the Prince had emerged. The streets were becoming busy now. Men and women rushed about, shops opened, and the city was suddenly abuzz with all the commotion of a normal day in the market place.

As the minutes dragged on the page became concerned then he saw him. Christian left the shop with a package wrapped in burlap and tied with twine tucked neatly under his arm. He secured the package to his horse then went back inside the finery only to exit a few moments later with another package, only this time it was wrapped in purple silk and tied with a black ribbon.

"What could he be doing?" Christian mounted his house then headed out of the city. The page took to his horse as quickly as possible and followed him. It was hard to keep up. Christian's horse was much younger and faster but the road he took could only have lead to one place. As the page followed he realized that Christian was headed towards McGowan's boarding house. It wasn't all that far from the center of town. Twenty minutes if you walked and less than ten on horse back. By the time the page caught up to the Price he could see his horse tied off at the post and drinking from the trough.

Christian must have already gone inside. The page tied his horse to a tree right off the main path to the house then walked the few feet back down to where he could see the front door. He hid behind the out building that was partially obscured by a large lilac bush and waited. He could think of no other reason that the Prince would have for visiting the boarding house other than for some secret meeting. Judging by the package that he was carrying he assumed that the Prince was meeting a secret lover. "Oh how scandalous." The page grinned sheepishly. "I wonder who she is? A married woman? Or perhaps a merchant's daughter." It was all so exciting, the page was gripped with anticipation. He just couldn't wait for the Prince's secrets to be revealed.

_________________________________________________

Alexander emerged from his slumber as the light of the suns came spilling through the arched window across from the bed. The room was bathed in a golden shower of bright radiance that stretched out across the floor and kissed the foot board. He sat up, stretched and yawned. His sleep had been undisturbed for the first time in months and he rose feeling refreshed and so alive. His thoughts immediately went to Christian and his promise to return. The thought of him made Alexander feel giddy and full of happiness.

He slipped out of the bed and dressed himself quickly then rushed to the main door of his rooms. As soon as he opened the door his senses were assaulted by the smell of food cooking. Hot food like his grandmother had once cooked. It had been quite some time since he'd eaten anything fresh and hot and as he stood there drinking in the aroma his stomach began to grumble. Oh how hungry he was. His mouth watered as he thought of the fresh food that would be awaiting him down stairs. He felt a little guilty over his eagerness to sit down to a hot meal but it was included in the boarding fee after all and Christian had been so adamant about covering the cost that it seemed almost rude not to partake.

He realized at that point that his hunger was by far stronger than his will and so he gave in to his hunger and raced down the stairs. When he reached the dinning room he nearly fainted. There he found a rectangular shaped table of thick, sturdy wood. Around it were six straight back chairs. Nothing fancy, just plain, wood, ladder back side chairs, but still more grand than anything he'd had at home.

There were only three people seated at the table. Two men and a young women who appeared to be traveling with the younger of the two men. Each of them were already eating and when Alexander entered the room they looked up and smiled at him.

He smiled back, greeting each of them, and giving a quick but pleasant bow to the young lady.

"Please sit." The Lady of the house smiled as she walked into the room with a new place setting. Alexander did as instructed and watched as the woman set his place for him. She was a kindly older woman. Her husband had lost his leg in battle and was confined to a chair while his wife ran the house. She was maybe in her fifties. She had a shock of white hair that was mostly hidden beneath a maids cap, with curly wisps of hair that framed her face. She was short and plump with round rosy cheeks and a smile that could melt the coldest of hearts. She wore a simple dress, blue-grey, and a white apron that rose above her shoulders and crossed in the back. The hem was adorned with hand sewn lace work, and tiny embroidered flowers that ran along the bodice.

Alexander marveled at the dishes she'd sat before him. Each was porcelain and painted with the same flower design that seemed to repeat throughout the house. Even the walls were painted in such a way that the inside of a house resembled a field of wild flowers and lush green that prevailed even throughout winter. It gave the cottage a warm and cozy feel that must have aided in the feeling of ease and contentment within the structure. Alexander imagined the lady herself was the artist as much of the home was decorated in the same fashion. It was a nice change from the dark, cold, and ancient feel of the home he'd grown up in.

Even in the company of his grandmother who was always kind and loving, and the hearth that burned yet never seemed to break the chill, the drafty old place seemed cold and somewhat somber, even in summer. Though the place did have its charms. From the tower -that Alexander was mostly forbidden from climbing- one could see the grandeur of the rolling hills and the thick wood that lay beyond. He could stand a top the tower, feeling the cool country air lift his hair off his shoulder as it blew past bringing with it the smell of nature. He could look out over the fields and see the animals grazing in the near-by pasture. Those things were gone now, but the paintings on the walls reminded him of his birth place, and for the first time since leaving Allanar, Alexander felt at home.

Mrs. McGowan urged Alexander to serve himself from the foods already laid out on the table while she excused herself to the kitchen to finish preparing the rest of the meal. He hardly knew where to begin. The young lady, who introduced herself as Andorra, passed him a basket of bread. It was freshly cut and still warm from the oven. There was butter in a small dish and a jar of preserves. In a clay dish he found dark, red apples mixed with dates. He quickly took a slice of bread, inhaled the aroma, then went to work spreading the preserves. Andorra took his cup and poured dark, hot coffee, from a kettle. His eyes went wide as he watched her. Coffee. He couldn't believe it. He'd never had coffee in his life and was eager to try it.

It was hot, but so good, and strong. it was like a dream come true. Just when he thought it couldn't possibly get any better, Mrs. McGowan returned with a fry pan and quickly went about serving each of her boarders. Alexander looked at his plate and suddenly he had tears in his eyes. Eggs, small sausages, and griddle cakes. His grandmother made griddle cakes once a year, on his birthday. Eggs were something he ate a lot, but he loved them. But the sausages, now that was a treat. Especially pork sausage. Were he home he'd have been eating venison or most likely fish, but it had been years since he'd had pork. 'This must be how Kings eat.' He thought to himself as he scooped up a spoon full of the eggs and shoved them into his mouth. They tasted so good. He ate so quickly that he nearly burned his tongue but he didn't care. It was pure bliss.

He finished quickly and though the Lady of the house offered him more he couldn't eat another bite. He praised her for her cooking and for her kindness. She smiled sweetly at him as she cleared the dishes away. "How long has it been since you've had a bath?" She asked him.

He looked at her and shrugged. "A few days I suppose." He confessed. "In the lake."

"Oh phish-posh!" She laughed. "I mean a real bath. In a tub, with hot water and soap."

He was stunned suddenly. Only royals and nobles bathed in actual tubs. He blushed some and she smiled at him. "Moira!" She called, looking out the back door. Moments later a young girl, about 13, appeared.

She gave the woman an informal curtsy. "Yes Mrs?"

"Go and prepare a bath four our young guest."

The girl curtsied again. "Yes Mrs. Right away Ma'am." She quickly disappeared out the back as Mrs. McGowan motioned for Alexander to follow her.

She led him through the kitchen to a room in back were he saw a metal tub about as long as a bed but only half as wide. One end rose up higher than the other to which he assumed was the head. Beside the tub was a wooden stool and on it he saw a bar of soap and a sponge.

"Moira will bring towels in for you. Go ahead and get undressed. She'll be coming with the water shortly." The lady left Alexander alone in the room and at first he hesitated, looking at the tub as though it were some strange and magical creature he'd never seen before. In fact he had never seen a tub before, at least not one intended for bathing, though he had heard of them. As he stood there inspecting the thing Moira returned with the first bucket of hot and steaming water. She poured the water into the tub then turned and looked at Alexander, puzzled by his reluctance to get in.

"Well?" She said as she gawked at him.

"What?" He asked shyly.

"What ya think?" She laughed. "Are ya gonna to get in, or are ya gonna stand there stare'in at it like a ninny?"

"I'll get in." He told her.

"Well, do ya need help getting undressed?"

Alexander narrowed his eyes as he took a step back. "I'm more than capable of undressing myself." He told her.

The girl laughed as she went out to get another bucket of water. "Best get on with it!" She hollered back at him. "Water won't stay hot fer long."

Alexander peeked around the corner to make sure the girl was out of sight then he quickly stripped off his clothes and stepped into the tub.

Moira came back in several more times, each time pouring more of the water into the tub until it nearly reached his chest. The entire time Alexander sat watching her, his knees drawn up to his chest as he tightly hugged them.

The girl laughed when she saw him sitting there watching her nervously. "You sure are a strange one mister." She mocked. "Most men would've tried to pull me in there with 'em by now."

"Well I'm not most men." He said curtly.

"I can see that." She sat the bucket down, placed a few towels, neatly folded, on the stool beside the tub and held her hands behind her back. "Well, is there anything else ya need? Should I wash yer back for ya?" She gave him a sly wink, giggling to herself.

"I think I can manage, Thank you."

"Suit yer-self." She shrugged her shoulders and left out the back door, continuing to giggle to herself as she went about her chores.

When he was sure she was gone, Alexander relaxed some. He stretched his legs out and leaned his head back. The water felt absolutely amazing. It was like being in a hot spring. The steam rose up around him causing droplets of water to form on his face. He sunk down deeper into the bath so that the water just barely touched his chin and closed his eyes. After he'd laid there for a while he finally picked up the sponge and soap and began to wash himself. Soap was a rare commodity and he took great delight in lathering himself in it from head to toe.

Soon the tub was filled with bubbles floating on the surface of the water. Alexander scooped a handful of them up and blew them out of his hand, laughing as they floating into the air then popped in a spray of soap and water. He swished the bubble around some, then held his breath and sunk beneath the surface, wetting his face and hair. When he came back up he smiled, spitting the water from his mouth and wiping at his eyes as he giggled like a child at play.

"I've never seen someone take such pleasure in getting a bath. When I was a child the maids had to chase me down just to get me in the tub."

Alexander opened his eyes wide as he looked up and saw Christian standing over him, grinning.

Alexander immediately drew his knees to his chest again and wrapped his arms around them. "What are you doing in here?" He exclaimed in surprise and embarrassment.

"I told you I'd return today." Christian told him as he seated himself on the stool. "I'm a man of my word."

"Yes..." Alexander signed. "But do you think this is the most appropriate setting for a reunion?"

Christian laughed as he lightly splashed Alexander with the water. "Why my dear Alexander, are you bashful?"

"Please don't." Alexander shielded his eyes from the water. "This is most inappropriate."

"What are you worried about?" Christian couldn't help but smile. Alexanders need for propriety was not only endearing but adorable. "We're both men. I've seen plenty of men naked before."

Alexander narrowed his eyes. "I'm sure you have." He sneered.

"Oh? And who is in need of decorum now?"

"Stop playing. You know very well what I mean. You should have waited till I was decent, especially after you kissed me last night."

"Hm." Christian smiled as he thought about that kiss. He ached to kiss him again. In fact he had to restrain himself from doing so. The longer he looked at Alexander sitting in the tub of water the more he longed to take him into his arms and press their bodies together.

Alexander rolled his eyes as he turned his head away. "And wipe that look off your face. I know what your thinking and I don't appreciate it."

Again Christian laughed. "Alright." He said as he stood up, still grinning. "I'm not without chivalry. In an effort to preserve your innocence I'll refrain from any acts of debauchery; but don't you think you should get out of there before you catch a chill?"

"Indeed." Alexander sighed. "Could you at least hand me a towel?"

Christian nodded. He picked up one of the towels left by the servant girl Moira and handed it to him.

"Turn around!" Alexander snapped.

Christian shook his head as he turned his back to Alexander. "There, is this better?"

"Much." Alexander stood up, wrapped the towel around his waist, then stepped out of the tub. The cool air hit him at once and caused him to shiver.

Christian watched him out of the corner of his eye. When he saw him shiver he spun around and quickly grabbed the other towel. "Dear Gods, you're going to die of pneumonia before we get you dressed!" He put the towel over Alexander head and began to pat his hair, soaking up the water. "You'd think this was the first time you'd ever taken a bath." The smile faded from his lips when he saw the embarrassed look on Alexander's face. "This isn't the first time is it?"

Alexander nodded. "At least in a tub like this, and in doors. I've taken many in the pond near my families home, but only in summer obviously. During the winter we'd wash with a basin, but usually only our face and hands."

"How can you stand it?" Christian frowned.

Alexander shrugged. "It's better than falling ill with a fever."

"I suppose, but still...at any rate you're clean now. Let's get you dressed." He wrapped the towel around the boys shoulders then went to pick up his clothes, examining them as he handed them to Alexander. "The stitching in your blouse is actually quite remarkable. Who was the tailor?"

Alexander smiled. "My grandmother made me my clothes. She used the money we got from selling a cow and ordered the fabric from the city. Twas a birthday gift. Her hands were swollen with a twisted illness and she was in much pain but still she toiled day and night to make the clothes. She said I was a man now and should be dressed in a mans robes."