Knights of the Round Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sir, she---" the Sergeant started.

"He brought me in here because I told him to." said Agent Jones. "Do you have a problem with that, Commander?"

"Yes I do." I said. "You are now an unauthorized intruder in a Restricted Area. Captain Ross, escort this intruder to the front lobby. If she resists, arrest her and put her through booking."

"Hold on, Commander," said a voice behind me, "I'll handle this." It was Chief Moynahan, who had just come in by the back door. "Ms. Jones, you are very close to wearing out your wellll-come. Come with me to my office."

When neither moved, Moynahan did a rare thing: he raised his voice in anger. He said "Don't just stand there like a bump on a log, Sergeant.! Escort Agent Jones to my office... NOW!"

"And Sergeant," I said, "you are not to leave Headquarters today without my personal permission. If you do, I'll have you arrested and brought back." The Sergeant blanched, realizing that I was playing for keeps as far as his continued employment was concerned.

After they were gone, the Detectives were looking at me as if I was a bomb about to explode... and they were right. My face was a darker red than my hair.

"Okay, guys," I said, feeling the heat on my cheeks, "we'll pick this up later. Y'all keep working on this. Theo, push the Crime Lab to get the situation about the car's GPS system worked out and a report in your email ASAP." With that, I turned and left MCD by the side door.

"Damn!" Joanne Warner spat as she sat back down at her desk. "Just when we were making progress, too."

"I take it that wasn't normal?" asked Jermaine Davis.

Theo barked a short laugh. "On the one hand, no it's not... and we should thank God we're not that Duty Desk Sergeant. On the other hand, Davis... there is no such thing as 'normal' where the Iron Crowbar is concerned..."

Part 4 - Baiting A Trap

Captain Croyle was not in her office. She was at 2d Precinct. I fired of an email to her to see me 'as soon as it is convenient'. She would know that meant to not drop everything and rush over, but that her next agenda item should be to see me.

I also fired off an email to all Duty Desks, their Precinct Captains, and all Lieutenant and higher officers (with a cc: to the Chief) reiterating the Duty Desk policies.

And then, Cindy came to my office. "The Chief wants us to come in and speak with Agent Jones." I got my red crowbar from underneath my desk where I stored it on hooks, and got up. Cindy saw it, and just shook her head but said nothing.

When we went inside, the Chief was much less than happy to see me carrying my crowbar. "Have a seat, everyone." Cindy was waiting for me to sit down next to Tasheeka Jones; I waved her to the chair and remained standing to Cindy's right, and the Chief's left, and a bit of a distance apart from the group. The Chief did notice, though he said nothing.

"I have been talking to SDOJ Agent Jones." said the Chief. "I have informed her that her methods of observing our operations are not in compliance with State Law, and that she is interfering with our murder investigation. I have also called Regional Di-rector Harold Bennett to complain, and so now Agent Jones cannot make an evaluation of the TCPD, as it will be taint-eddddd."

"My report will be accurate and fair." said Jones. "But it will definitely mention the lack of cooperation I have received, as well as the unnecessary rudeness and overbearing manner of Commander Troy and Captain Ross."

"Chief," said Cindy, "this woman mis-identified herself at the crime scene last night. She is with the FBI but did not inform us of that. I confirmed her FBI status this morning. Therefore, I would like to place her under arrest, and let Harold Bennett come get her."

"No, I want this to be de-fused." said the Chief. "However, Agent Jones, you are no longer welcome here, and if you do attempt to regain entry to Police Headquarters, you will be de-tained. And per State Law, you have now been warned. Okay, you can go."

"Before I do, Chief, I have one question." Jones said. "Why was Commander Troy in MCD instead of in his office, working?"

"I was working." I said angrily. "We're trying to solve a crime here, but you keep showing up and interfering with us!" I noticed Cindy readying herself.

"That's their job." Jones snarled. "Why aren't you doing yours?"

"Who... who the fuck are you to tell me my job?" I yelled. I was advancing upon Agent Jones, crowbar ready to fly, with the intent to seriously beat the shit out of her. Cindy stood up and got in my way.

"You're not a Detective." Tasheeka Jones said, obviously baiting me and intentionally creating angst... and not aware of the literally mortal danger she was putting herself in. "You're an office manager... a paper-pusher!"

I felt the blood rush to my head and my hands grip the crowbar. Fortunately for Agent Jones, Cindy got in the way.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" she shouted, right into Jones's face. "Don't say another fucking word!"

"You can't talk to me like that." Jones said, seeming to enjoy herself.

"I'm trying to SAVE your sorry ass!" Cindy yelled. "If you say one more fucking word, I'll take the Chief out of here, and leave you alone with the Iron Crowbar... and you won't live to talk about it."

"Is that a threat?" Jones said, smiling.

"Call it what you want." Cindy said, a little more evenly, still right in the woman's face. "But we're not joking here. I'll leave, the Commander will kill you, literally, and then I'll testify that he was never alone with you. And we're cops... we WILL get away with it. Now either keep your fucking mouth shut, or say your final god-damn prayers."

"Captain," said the Chief, "escort this State DOJ instigator out of my office. Ms. Jones, I suggest you never be seen in this County again. I can't restrain the Iron Crowbar if he catches up to you and I'm not there. Now get out. Captain, she either walks out the front door, or she can go through booking."

Tasheeka Jones took the wise course and left, though acting haughty about it. When he and I were alone, the Chief went and opened his lower right desk drawer and took out a bottle of whiskey and two shot glasses.

"No, Chief, I can't." I said. "My wife will be here within 30 minutes to take bloodwork."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that." said the Chief, putting the liquor away. "That woman was definitely trying to bait you, and she damn near succeeded. You okay?"

"Yes sir." I said, feeling myself calm down... some. "But what she said..." I mused, beginning to think, beginning to see it, "... yes, that was a message... calling me 'paper pusher'."

"Why is that a big deal?" asked Moynahan.

"Because that is what I called Robert Brownlee all the time, and it infuriated him." I said. "So that was a message... and my guess... is it was from Katherine Woodburn."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy watched from the sofa as Laura drew the blood from my left arm, taking several tubes for testing.

"Feeling okay?" my wife asked as she put everything away in her doctor's bag (yes, she carries one around at times).

"I will feel a lot happier," I said, "when you are formally and officially retired from the CIA." I said. Laura paused and stood still a moment as our eyes locked. Then she silently picked up her stuff and headed for the door, nodding to Cindy on the way out. Cindy nodded to Laura, then turned to peer at me, and I could feel the mental energy pouring from my cousin.

"I take it that your bug-killer was full on in the Chief's office." I said.

"You better believe it." Cindy said. "Yours wasn't?"

"No." I said.

"Okay, I'll get back to work and check in with my Detectives..." Cindy said, then grinned as she finished: "...and leave you to the paper-pushing stuff." A red crowbar was waved in her general direction, but humorously.

A moment later, Captain Teresa Croyle came to my door. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Captain Croyle came out of the Commander's office in a hurry, walking with a purpose. She came to the Duty Desk, pointed at the Sergeant and said "You, in my office. Now!"

"But ma'am..." the Sergeant said.

"What, do you have a problem following orders?" Teresa snarled. "I said get to my office NOW!"

"I want a Union rep." the Sergeant said, not moving.

"You'll get one at the proper time." said Captain Cindy Ross, coming up with the green crowbar in her hands. "But for now you're being insubordinate if you don't get moving."

Beaten, the Sergeant followed Teresa to her office, and Cindy followed them. Once the door closed behind Cindy, Teresa turned on the Sergeant.

"I have been informed that you broke the rules this morning, Sergeant." said Captain Croyle. "Allowing an unauthorized person access to our MCD room is a severe breach of our security as well a threat to solving a murder case."

"She was an SDOJ officer." said the Sergeant. "What's the problem?

You know damn well what the problem is!" Teresa growled. "She could've been the President, and she should not have been allowed into the MCD room without Captain Ross, Commander Troy, or Chief Moynahan authorizing it. Sergeant, you're suspended with pay pending an investigation of this incident. I will tell you now that Commander Troy is looking to get you fired. So while you're going to the Union, you might want to consider looking for new employment. Dismissed."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What in the heck got into Don this morning?" Teresa asked as she and Cindy ate lunch at one of the subway shops on the south side of Courthouse Square.

"I don't know." Cindy said. "He was fine, just talking to the Detectives, set up Davis's computer account, which kind of surprised me since he's resisted Uniformed Officers playing as Detectives... and then the moment that woman walked in, he was changed. Didn't yell at her, though, until we were in the Chief's office, and I nearly ripped her head off myself."

"Think that torture a few months ago got to him? Making him lose control?" Teresa asked.

"No." Cindy said. "I am sure, very very sure, that the vibe I got from him is because he is worried now, under severe pressure now."

"From what?" Teresa asked. "This murder case? The SBI? The Governor and politics?"

"No." Cindy said. She looked around to make sure they weren't being heard. "Between you and me alone... I think it's something about Laura. I don't know what's going on, but he said something to her about retiring from the CIA, and they had this 'look' between them. And the vibes coming off both of them... whew! I don't know what it is... but Don is worried as hell about his wife."

Teresa nodded. Cindy did not realize for a few moments that her friend said nothing further...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The large, fat man was putting away glassware and bottles of liquor behind the cabinet when three men came into the Rhythms & Rap Club.

"I smell Pork. Iron Pork." the man said. "And two Uncle Toms."

"Not much gets by you." I said as I came up to the bar. "Just tell him I'm here and I want to talk to him." The man went to the telephone next to the cash register on the counter against the back wall behind the bar, and made a call.

As he did, I looked around. The club was in black and chrome, and looked really good. I noticed a lot of blacklights and other colored lights that made things like phosphorescent necklaces glow brightly; it would be a hot place in here at night, but very dark. I would not want to be in this place when it was crowded after dark... I might get a knife stuck in me somewhere.

"He's in a meeting. Give him a few minutes." the fat man said. I sat down at the bar. Theo was also looking around. He was dressed in a suit and tie, as usual, with a trenchcoat over his suit, lighter colored than mine. Jerome Davis was in plainclothes as well; I'd instructed him to wear plainclothes whenever he was working with Theo as a Detective... and definitely to be in plainclothes for this mission.

It only took one minute: T-Square came out from the back offices, wearing a seersucker suit and his trademark shades. With him was his agent and two other rappers; they were famous and would be recognized if their names were mentioned.

"Okay, we have a deal." said T-Square. He noticed me and, without skipping a beat, said "And my club has the best protection you can get: the Iron Crowbar himself."

"That's the Iron Crowbar?" asked one of the rappers, peering at me as I stood up. "I heard of what you did to that badass preacher, and up in that shitty little county where that spring is." He moved forward to shake my hand, and I shook it.

"This is my posse today." I said. "Theo and Jerome." The famous rapper shook hands with them. "Okay, T-Square, I'll be in touch. Probably see you in the City soon."

"You know it." said T-Square. After the others left, T-Square said "So what is the I.C. doing here, messing me up like that?"

"You renovated your club and never gave me a tour." I said. T-Square took me at my word: he showed us around the club, and was obviously proud of the new technology that operated the lights in time and beat with the music being played. He showed us the audio boards that controlled everything. It was impressive, and I told him so.

"All right, let's go to my office." said T-Square. He led us to the back rooms, which contained recording studios as well as offices. Everything was renovated and a lot nicer than the old. His own office had a window to the left as one walked in, and I noticed the bulletproof glass... having installed similar glass into the new Cabin when I rebuilt it.

"Nice." I said. I noticed that a backdoor led to stairs to the outside, and to the right (and left of the desk), a small door that when opened, was right at a pole that he could slide down to the ground floor, and make a hasty exit if needed.

"So, I.C.," said T-Square, "this'll do for me. I even had a bed put into T-Mac's office so he can fuck Gloria whenever he wants." T-Square's lawyer and two Regiment members laughed.

"When is he going to marry her and make an honest woman out of her?" I asked with a grin. Everyone laughed.

"Hell, I.C.," said T-Square, "there ain't no 'honest' in that woman." We all laughed again. "All right, I guess you're here about Holden?" I nodded and he said "I don't know what to tell you, man."

"I have reason to believe," I said, "that he was captured before that shootout... and maybe he was killed before it happened. So... anyone threatening you, T-Square? Trying to get to you through him?"

"No way, brother I.C." said T-Square. "Threats like that wouldn't work, anyway. All my boys know I won't play that game."

I nodded. "Well, someone targeted him and killed him. Someone who knew what they were doing. Sure there's nothing about that, that you can tell me? Is this some kind of race-related thing? Or just tell me the truth: was Holden doing something for you behind the scenes, and he got caught up?"

"I.C., I know you're the real deal," said T-Square, "and your coming here shows me you are interested in keeping shit from going down here. So I'm going to tell it to you straight: Holden was pure security for me. He wasn't a courier, he didn't do side jobs. Just did his job protecting me. He was a smart guy, helped in the security planning for my concerts and all that... but that's all."

"And squeezing him for info on your security wouldn't work, because you changed things as soon as he dropped dead."

"Not much gets by you, Iron Cracker." T-Square said. "So you think somebody's trying to gin up some shit? Start some racial shit?"

"I don't know." I said. "But something's going on. Thanks for your time, and if you hear anything, let me know." I got up, and as we were leaving I looked back and said "And by the way, watch your own back, T-Square. They didn't kill your bodyguard at random."

We left the club. On the way back, as we rode in my SUV, Theo said "He knows something. He has to know. He was nervous in there."

"Yes, yes he was." I said. "But not about the murder of Holden. He was worried about me being there. He gave us the tour of the club to let someone get out without us seeing him or her. Yes... something is going on with T-Square...

To be continued.