Lady Marwen's Request

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

—————————————-

A few minutes later Yuying stood at the edge of the sparring ring, watching her sister tighten the strap on a metal banded wooden shield. She held Sying's fine steel blade, sheathed, in both hands as she leaned to murmur to her stubborn sister.

"He's a lot bigger than you."

"I know."

"He's stronger, too."

"I know."

"Got reach."

Sying stopped as she was adjusting her shield, turning to give her sister a scathing look, "And what is your point?"

Yuying grinned at her sister's scowl, "Bet he's hung."

Sying's face was briefly shocked then she shook her head, "Oh gods, are you saying I should bed him?"

"Well it would wear him out, get his guard down and all that."

The two sisters stared at one another for a moment before Yuying chuckled and pointed towards the padded helmet beside Sying, "Be careful, Sy, I don't need him killing you in a practice match. I'm not sure dad would forgive me."

Sying paused in her preparations to put the padded leather helmet on and flick her ears out the openings at the top, it fit a bit awkwardly since they were for a canine, then shifted her shoulders, rolling them as she felt the weight of the shield on her arm and reached to pick up the wooden sword. It was a bit longer than her usual sword but it was straight and had a good weight. She gave the weapon a couple swings through the air and, with a slight adjustment on the grip, felt confident with it. Finally she walked to where her sister stood and lifted her chin, letting Yuying adjust the helmet a bit more. Yuying, with a serious expression, whispered in her ear, "He's got a bit of a limp on his left, could be the cold or it could be an old injury."

Sy turned and shifted her weight, seeing now Lord Marwen in his training leathers. Thick pads of armor covered his towering frame, imposingly built despite the grey on his muzzle. Against her sword and shield he brought a pair of curved wooden swords, custom built to match his real weapons of choice, most likely.

"To the touch?" She asked as she walked into the ring, spine straight and chin up in a challenge.

"To the first killing stroke." He said, clarifying the rules for the bout as he walked towards her as well, raising both blades into a forward position. It would, then, be that the first serious strike would count as the kill and not merely counting points as if fencing. Sying raised her shield slightly extended and waited to see the lord's assault.

With speed like a sudden avalanche, the wolf lunged forward, not just with a single stroke but keeping one blade following the other so that a single deflected blow would have another immediately following it to worry about.

Sying angled her shield to drive the blow not into her body to let it glance to the side. It was a rookie mistake to think of the shield as a wall to slam against and allowing that to happen often resulted in injuring the defender almost as much as an unguarded strike. Turning the blade with the angle of the shield allowed her to make the first swing interfere with his reach on the second and he had to step quickly back to avoid her driving hard with her straight blade into his gut.

Down and again he swung, using his reach to force her to shift to the side. Her boots were light on the smooth stone and she led him in a circle. While he'd almost certainly fought smaller opponents his entire life and had a great deal more time in the battlefield, it was unlikely he'd been taught by so rigorous a tutor as her father.

He led the assault more than she, her eyes watching him carefully and deflecting his blows. When she saw an opening she'd thrust her straight blade towards it only to have it knocked away forcefully enough to force her to have to readjust. No good. His reach was his greatest asset here. Biding her time, she anticipated his next swing and instead of leaning it away with her shield she sprang forward and drove the metal rimmed edge of her shield into his forearm with a crack muffled by the leather. His arm was up over the shield and while his torso was out of reach, her center was exposed to the following cut he had intended to make. She instead brought her sword up to smash into the wrist of his other hand as he sought to capitalize on the opening her shield jab had given him. The force was enough to jar the heavy wooden sword free and it clattered to the floor. While she had probably not broken any bones, his arm would ache for days after. Barely pausing, he slid his forward foot back and brought his other sword around, off of her shield in a returning swing. She was able to twist back in time, but still received a resounding smack of the flat of the sword to her thigh. Sying staggered to the side under the impact, his reach and strength were not to be trifled with.

The pair pulled apart and survyed the changed situation. She stood between him and his second sword and Lord Marwen's hand tingled, half numb from the blow. He shook it and tried to get some life back into it but saw the solid stare of the red panda shield mistress and knew with only one sword his chances of getting in a killing stroke were much diminished.

"Were I a younger man I would try some foolish attempt to roll past you and retrieve my other sword." He joked as they stared at one another, buying himself a little time. He HAD been foolish and she'd capitalized on the opening. He'd expected her to hide behind her shield not use it as much as a weapon as the sword was. "Your father didn't shirk in teaching his daughters as well as his sons."

Sying didn't reply to this, instead her hard gaze just watched the older wolf, expecting cunning. From the outside of the ring Yuying's chipper voice called to Lord Marwen, "Don't take her silence as an insult, Lord. She is a dour lady when her sword is drawn."

Lord Marwen's eyes only flicked to Sying's sister at the edge of the ring and he frowned softly. Here he was a soldier with decades of experience and this young bodyguard was making him look foolish. He hefted the remaining sword and made a feint, the shield coming into play as he'd seen her do before. This time he reached out and took hold of the metal banded edge of the shield, opposite from her sword arm, and hauled hard, jerking the smaller woman forward and off balance. This maneuver gave him an opportunity to pivot past her, barely avoiding the quick swing she took at him, and allowed him to retrieve his sword behind her.

Yuying watched this exchange, seeing Sy almost thrown to the side and regain her position as the wolf lord picked up his sword once more. The crowd reacted the reversals of fortune with gasps and shouts for both opponents. Another flurry of blows were exchanged and Yu could tell that Sy was trying to lead him to leave his weak leg open. Each time they traded hits one or the other came close to making a fatal touch only to find the other had responded just in time to prevent an end to their match.

Finally she saw an opening, Sying dropped to her knee, raising the shield again and as Lord Marwen stepped forward she drove the point of her blade hard into his knee in a kneeling lunge that, should she miss, would leave her open to a dozen different prosecutions. A sudden jarring along her arm and snarl of pain told her she'd hit the mark. The blow caused the wolf to crumple to one side, the old injury making his leg give way. Without losing a moment the smaller red panda spun the wooden sword up and then down onto the falling wolf's chest, smacking hard enough to add to his fall and drive the breath from his lungs. Within the flashing of an instant the wolf's mountainous fall and the blow made a clattering din that soon gave way to a silence of gasps and the grunt and, presumably, cursing in Lord Marwen's native tongue.

Yuying, standing at the edge of the ring as silence washed the room, waited a few seconds before stepping across the heavy rope and into the ring as two of the lord's men entered from the other side to check on the combatants.

Sying sank down by the wolf and panted, ears back but eyes still on the wolf laying on his back cursing in his growling tongue. Her sister and the two guards came near and she let Yuying help her to her feet.

"Are you alright, lord?" asked the elder of the two wolfs of his fallen chieftain. The younger one was giving Sying a dirty look as she and her sister went through similar motions of checking on one another.

"Yes, Banu, I'm alright. Just careless was all." Lord Marwen was helped to his feet by his guards and he gritted his teeth as he tested that leg. "That damn knee again." He waited until he was sure of his leg, though now limping considerably, then let his guardsman go and gave a small, pained bow. "Well done, Khiong Sying. I am bested in my own home." He stood a bit straighter and raised a hand to the crowd, "Sying, bodyguard of Partran Madradin, daughter of General Tavar of the Iron Wall. No shame comes from losing to that bloodline."

At the mention of Sy and Yu's father's name people in the crowd began to murmur to one another and gave the woman who'd just bested their host in a fight a more appreciative look. Khiong Tavar was well known even here in the northern territories. One of the empire's great generals despite his small stature. Lord Marwen's house guards now understood that the woman who'd just won a bout against their lord was no common bodyguard. With that said the lord motioned to his guards, doing his best to hide his limp, "By the winter's chill, let us see some more fights, let us see who's worthy of a hundred solars!"

The crowd gave a cheer and some of those who had been on the fence about sparring seemed persuaded by such a generous purse, even those among the clan guards started to move forward as a wolf in an ornate breastplate and finely woven cloak stepped forward. This wolf, clearly the captain of the guard, gave Lord Marwen a salute and then ordered people to line up and submit their names for the list of combatants. The lord nodded at this and watched for a moment, leaning on the younger of the two guards who had helped him up after their bout. He stood and, carefully testing that knee, walked to where the sisters stood nearby, waving away the young guard. "Go join them. I'm fine now lad."

Amid the business of the crowd and the growing list of people partaking in the bouts, the wolf lord was able to limp over and sit near where Sying and Yuying stood, motioning both of the young women over. Sying, still rubbing the spot on her thigh where one of his blows had landed, and Yuying drew up chairs and sat with him, glancing as the captain of the guard was explaining the rules of the matches to follow.

"So you saw I had a weak knee, did you?" Lord Marwen's question was gruff and his face expressionless as he looked down at the two smaller women sitting there, both turning to look up at him.

"My sister did, yes." Sying said, raising her gaze up to meet the wolf, "She said you favored that leg some and I figured a good hit there might give me an opening." She didn't hesitate to stare back at the older male, not turning her gaze as she felt the subtle challenge to.

A long, tense moment seemed to stretch between the two as Yuying watched, hoping the wolf wasn't the sort to hold a grudge or be sore when bested in front of his men.

"Some might say that wasn't precisely sporting."

"Maybe not," Sying said, still meeting the massive male's eyes, "But it was a fight, sir. And the only thing that matters in a fight is being the person who walks away."

Once more that tense silence seemed to fill the space between them before wolf gave a chuckle, "Is that your father's wisdom?" Lord Marwen gave a smile that cut through his feigned scowl, once more rubbing his knee. "But goddesses that does smart."

"He always said that a fair fight is what the losing side hopes for, sir. Always fight from a position of strength and don't overlook any potential advantage. As a combatant it's my job to end a fight as quickly as possible with as little risk to myself or those I protect as possible. The rest is fluff."

Lord Marwen nodded at this, "And what if you know that this year's opponent may be next year's ally against someone else? Defeating an enemy can draw resentment if your tactics are too brutal or merciless."

Yuying cleared her throat and supplied, almost from rote, "Accomplish what is necessary to complete the objective, but limit excess damage if possible. Wasted effort and wasted resources can be costly in the future, a potential ally can be said to be a resource wasted if you act too harshly."

Lord Marwen chuckled and motioned to a servant, having the boy bring over wine for the three of them "Excellent. Right from your father's treatise. I suspect he drilled all of this into you and all your siblings over the years."

"Yes, sir." Said both sisters together. This drew a look from him that traveled from one to the other, then the lad returned with their goblets. Yuying and Sying took the wine when offered and tipped their head in thanks to the serving boy. For now, it seemed, the examination was over.

As they relaxed and sampled the wine the first sounds of the next match began and they all turned to watch a pair of guests flail at one another with practice sword and shield. Periodically during the bout either Sying or Lord Marwen would give a click of their tongue at some error in form or judgment that gave the opponent an opening. After a few such matches Lord Marwen found his cup was empty and the serving lad was nowhere to be seen.

"Would you both be interested in seeing the armory and training rooms we have? The daughters of such a storied general may have some insight as to the training and equipment I provide my own fighting men."

The sisters exchanged a glance and then Sying nodded, "Of course, lord. I'd be happy to offer any help my expertise might provide."

With that, the lord stood slowly, using his free hand to brace himself on a table, and turned to leave the hall. The sisters, after exchanging another curious glance, stood to follow him, leaving their cups, the clatter of practice weapons, and the sounds of the impromptu tournament behind them.

The three walked or limped briskly along the corridors down towards the courtyard, soon stepping out into the cutting chill of the autumn night. Their breath made clouds in the air as they crossed the smooth almost perfectly set flagstones of the courtyard towards a long, high roofed building whose great oaken doors loomed heavy and tall in the autumn night. High windows in the stone walls shone with dim ruddy light. The wolf opened one of the heavy double doors part way and a dim honey colored light cut a line across the dark flagstones. He motioned them to enter and followed in after them. The chill outside washed away amid the heat of the long, low banked fires in the armory. Here, away from the din of the festivities, the quiet of the vast open room hung heavy, broken only by their footfalls across the wooden floor. It was a vast stone building with high peaked wooden roof, cabinets and weapon racks lined the walls and the floor was open. It'd been built to provide a place to drill and train regardless of weather so even through the lengthy winters the clan would keep their edge. Tonight the building was partally lit but vacant, only a few of the hanging lanterns lit and most of the light in the cavernous hall came from the low fires.

Understandably proud, Lord Marwen began, "We finished this a little over a year ago. I was tired of the long winters keeping us from training properly. The empire balked at the change in their original plans, but needs must be met."

As they walked along the hall, the sisters gave the room a critical look. Yuying responded cheerily, "Our father is lucky in that the garrison has ample space to train inside the walls, but has far more temperate weather to aid him. It's impressive, sir. Are the other clans building their own?"

"A few, but most don't have the resources to devote to it." He responded, guiding them along to where a bench stood near one of the lit fireplaces. He sat with a grunt, lowering himself down onto the sturdy wooden bench and gave his knee a squeeze as Sying still looked around. Then she broke her silence, "It's impressive, sir, I can see why you're proud of it. Do you keep a standing force?"

"A small one, yes. The smaller clans simply cannot afford to do so, with the empire's backing I intend to increase the forces I keep here."

"You know, my lord," Yuying gave the older wolf a sly smile, interrupting the talk of military forces and training regimens she knew her sister would launch into at the merest provocation, "Had anyone noticed we slipped away from the festivities, they might think your intentions less than noble."

Yuying was pleased when the lord glanced up from where he sat, muzzle turning into a slow, sly grin and he stopped massaging his sore knee, "Tongues wag regardless, young lady, and it's expected of a clan leader to be the pursuant beast, though I find my passions easier to channel these days."

Having been standing, Yuying drew near Lord Marwen, reaching to rest a hand on that sore knee and rub it soothingly before she glanced up at him through her eye lashes, "I must say to imagine you restrained is rather disappointing, I know my sister will want to make it up to you for having taken advantage of an old wound in a friendly match."

Lord Marwen raised an eyebrow, turning his gray-flecked muzzle to Sying who still stood a short distance away with her back to him, ostensibly inspecting a notched pell hanging from the roof. Yuying couldn't help but notice how his eyes lingered on the curves beneath the leather her sister wore and for a moment imagined she could see the thoughts behind his gaze. Yu was amused to see a momentary stiffness in Sying's posture. Then Sying relaxed and turned, briefly giving her sister a sharp look before turning her gaze to the wolf. "I would like to make amends, Lord Marwen, and," here she paused at the precipice of the asking, then had to flick her ears to hide a brief embarrassment, "I must admit your martial prowess has me wondering what other skills honed of long practice you might have."

Yuying stood and stepped back, watching her sister approach the wolf. Her sister's gaze was hungry upon him and putting a bit more sway into her normally stiff walk than usual. There was a predatory stalk to the smaller woman as she tried to accentuate her muscular curves tightly wrapped in dun colored leather. Perhaps it wasn't the most alluring attire but Sying's attitude and fitness seemed more primal in its allure the styles of court and gown. Yu stepped behind her sister and gave the lord a smile of her own, "Considering my place in advising her before your bout, it would only be fair if I told you a weakness of hers."

There was a warmth in the room now that had little to do with the banked fires at either end, and the wolf lord sat, watching the fit red panda and giving a faint growl that spoke of an interest that had been restrained. "And what weakness does this mighty shield maiden have?" His voice was pitched low as if conspiratorial, his eyes on Sying as she stood so close and seemed to stiffen some at the thought of her sister's collusion with the powerful male.

"We are our lord's guards, Lord Marwen, not his slaves. We've freedom to choose, though my sister is sometimes too shy to mention her undying love of having her ass stretched around some fit, formidable and, shall I say, powerful male?"

As Yuying murmured these words, leaning near the larger wolf to answer his mock conspiratorial tones, her sister's gaze was fit to bore through her. Though, Yuying noticed, the blush hiding in her ears and the overall tension of her sister meant that she, as usual, had hit the mark.