All Comments on 'Leave the Driving to Us'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
OdiouserOdiouserover 2 years ago

20 new stories today and yours was the only tolerable read. Must have been the end-of-week toilet flushing. Yours was a well-written nostalgia treat You would benefit from more careful proofreading, or using a beta-reader, but I can easily overlook some garbled words for a nice storyline.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainover 2 years agoAuthor

Thank you. The bus trip was based on reality, but the main plot line is fictional. I ran it through the Word checker (barely useful) and then Grammarly (which is better), I did proofread it several times. Looking at it now, what I can spot is a comma that should have been a period. Anything in particular you have noticed? Usually I don't edit a published story, but if it's serious enough, I have done it at least twice I think.I have also done it on a couple of stories for content reasons - there were plot inconsistencies across several linked stories.

ElectricBlueElectricBlueover 2 years ago

Nice work, Gunhill. It may be fictional, but it's believable.

I've not done long bus trips, but overnight trains... yeah, it's believable.

Also, zaftig. A new word for me - it's rare that I check for a meaning. Thanks.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainover 2 years agoAuthor

Thank you. That was the longest unbroken bus trip - that was real - that I have ever taken, and I have no desire to do it again.

Zaftig is a Yiddish word, so it is commonly used in New York and a few other places, not so much elsewhere.

If you really want to hear about a long train trip, read Paul Theroux about the Trans-Siberian Railway - eight days or something like that, And he did it twice, both westbound.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...