Letters From The World

Story Info
Letters from the girl he left behind for Vietnam.
12.5k words
4.65
2.9k
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ronde
ronde
2,390 Followers

Foreword

All wars have been fought and won because of the bravery and sacrifice of soldiers, but the bravery and sacrifice of the women they left behind should never be forgotten. Those women held jobs to put a roof over their heads and put food on the table, and still found the time to write to the men they loved.

During the period in history from 1963 to 1973, millions of these letters made their way across the wide, blue Pacific to the tiny, war-torn country of Vietnam. These letters, written on the thin tissue-like paper then required for airmail and saturated in perfume and covered with lipstick kisses, warmed the hearts of American servicemen, gave them the courage to go on, and were the only thread that tied them to that far-away place known as "The World".

Jan 10, 1968

To My Dearest Darling Tim,

I know you've just left this morning, and I won't know where to send this until you get to wherever they're taking you, but I have to do something or I'll just start crying again. Once I get your first letter, I'll put all mine in an envelope and send them off.

I'm going to write every day, even if it's just a little, so you remember that you have a wife here at home who misses you so much it hurts. You've only been gone for ten hours, but it already feels like ten years. I wish we could have had more than those few days together before they took you away from me. It just isn't fair, but I know you couldn't do anything about it. If we'd been married a little longer than six months, it might not seem so bad. At least we got to spend Christmas together.

I should be telling you stuff that will make you happy, instead of complaining. Sorry.

It was nice of your mom and dad to let me move in with them. It was really hard making the rent on our apartment when you got drafted, even with the money you sent. I'm going to try to get a better job as soon as I can. I like your mom and dad, but it feels like I'm imposing on them. As soon as I can make more money, I'll find a little apartment and they can have their house back. I won't need a very big place if it's just me.

Sleeping in your old room, right in your old bed, makes me feel a little closer to you, but it's not the same as having you there with me. It has been fun looking at all your stuff, though. I was cleaning out your closet this afternoon (you were a pig, did you know that) and I found your collection of nudie magazines. You should be ashamed of yourself. I know you're not, but you should be. What I'd really like to know is how those models manage to walk upright. Their boobs are as big as cow udders. Mine sometimes get in the way when we make love, so I can't imagine how they ever get close enough to a man to do it.

Your mom made spaghetti for dinner, and we went for a walk afterwards. She's really worried about you. Your dad says you can take care of yourself, just like he did in WWII. I'm with your dad, but I'm still afraid.

Well, I have to get to bed or I'll never make it to the dime store on time. I love you very much, and I'm so proud that you're defending our country.

Shelley

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

Jan 11, 1968

Hi Darling,

Not much happened today. I went to work and everything went pretty well until I went to close out my register. I was a dollar and twenty cents short! Mr. Windom was a little mad at me.

Even he couldn't figure out how it happened, but I still had to make up the difference. At least I didn't mess up like Jenny. Gwen told me Jenny was short ten whole dollars the week we were gone. Jenny thought she was going to get fired. She started to cry and Mr. Windom finally said she could keep her job if she paid all of it back. She's being really careful, now. I guess I'll have to be really careful too.

We had pot roast for dinner. Your mom makes the best pot roast. I'm going to get her to give me her recipe, so I can make it for you when you get home. I'll make you so much good stuff you'll weigh six hundred pounds. On second thought, I'd better not do that. You'd mash me when we, well, you know.

I have to tuck myself in bed now. Wish you were here to do that.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Love, Shelley

Jan 25, 1968

My dearest Tim,

By the time you get this letter, you will have already read the other six I sent. It was really great to know you got there OK, and that I have a place to send my letters now. I was beginning to wonder if the Army was ever going to tell me where they put you.

I went up to the library to find out where you are. They didn't have a very good map, but I found Khesanh on it. It doesn't look very big, but I guess in such a backward country, they all live in little towns so they can raise rice everywhere else. That's what the encyclopedia said they grow in Vietnam. I still remember that chicken and rice I made before you went to the Army. It was kind of funny how you picked every little grain off your chicken. I know I got mad, but I was more mad at myself than at you. I should have asked if you liked rice. Hey, maybe when you come home, you'll like rice after all.

On the news, they said there's going to be a cease-fire. I guess those commies have to have their holidays, just like we do. I wish they'd have a holiday every day of the year. That way, I'd know you were safe.

Your dad says the Army shouldn't trust them if they know what's good for them. He says they're just waiting, and they'll make a sneak attack just like at Pearl Harbor. I wanted to tell him that the Army has all sorts of ways to find out when an attack is coming, and you wouldn't get caught by surprise. You told me all about that stuff you learned in AIT. I wanted to tell him, but I didn't. He's pretty convinced he knows what's going on, since he fought on all those Pacific islands.

I can hardly wait until you send me the pictures you took. I hope you took some of you, too. I'm going to start a scrapbook of all the pictures you send me. I'll borrow your dad's camera and take some, and I'll put them in there, too. That way, we'll have them to remind us of this time. Your mom did that when your dad went to the Army. Well, you already know that, don't you? She got it out last night, and we looked at all the pictures. Your dad used to be skinny, and so was your mom. I guess she cooks too well for them to have stayed that way.

She says hers is from having kids. Well, I'm not going to get big when we have children. I don't care what it takes, I'm going to get back to the same size as before. It just wouldn't do to have you looking at other women, now would it?

Speaking of kids, your sister brought her two over this evening. They're so cute. Billy crawled up in my lap and asked where Uncle Tim was. I told him you were in the Army, and I taught him how to salute. He saluted your dad the rest of the night. I held little Debbie while we girls all talked. It was really nice. She's so tiny and soft and sweet. I know we'll have to wait a while after you get home, but I really want to start a family. I want my own little baby to cuddle. Of course, I'll still cuddle with you, but that's different.

I'm lying on the bed while I write this and I keep yawning. I'm going to have to stop or you'll never be able to read what I write. If you were just here, it would make going to sleep so much easier. Well, you'd probably want to mess around, so I wouldn't get to sleep very early, but I'd sleep a lot better.

I put a big lipstick kiss on this letter, just to let you know how I'm feeling right now. I love you so much, and I can't wait until you come home to me. Then I can give you the big hug ( and everything else) that goes with the kiss.

Love and Kisses to my big brave husband,

Shelley

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Jan 29, 1967

Hi Honey,

I got your letter today, and was I ever thrilled with the pictures. Those little kids are just so cute, and the scenery is wonderful. All those mountains and trees! On the news, all we see is where you're fighting, and that isn't very pretty. At least the Army isn't completely destroying the country. One thing I don't understand is how the women can wade in those rice paddies. Yuck!!!! There must be all sorts of icky, slimy things swimming around in there, and they're out there in their bare feet. You wouldn't catch me doing that.

You look so tough in your fatigues and holding your rifle, just like the guys in those war documentaries your dad keeps watching on TV. You'll have to tell me who those other guys are. Maybe, if they were stationed here at the base, their wives still live here and I could contact them. It would be nice to know some other women whose husbands are over there. We'd have a lot to talk about.

What is that picture on your tent wall? It looks like a naked woman, but she's got squares drawn all over her body. You'll have to explain that to me before I get jealous. I'm the only woman you're supposed to see naked. Ha Ha.

Well, guess what? They had an opening at the shoe plant, and I got hired. I'm working on the graveyard shift, but I'm making almost twice as much as at the dime store. I'm supposed to get a raise after my probationary period, too. We are making those jungle boots that you're wearing in your picture. You guys must be using up a lot of them, because we're working overtime just to keep up with our orders. Right now, I'm just packing the boots into big boxes, but Mr. Vance, my supervisor, says he's going to teach me how to do the other jobs. Then I can get on piecework, and make even more.

I went to look at an apartment today. I was a little early for the appointment, and I ran into Gail Raddison. Well, her name's Gail Marshall now. She was looking at the same apartment. You remember Gail, I'm sure. She's one of the girls I ran around with in high school. You'd remember her because of her chest. All you guys just about lost your eyeballs when she walked by. She looks OK as a blonde instead of a brunette, but I think she looks a little hard, if you know what I mean. She also dresses a little on the wild side. She had on a miniskirt that was way to mini for me. She bent over to look under the sink, and her panties showed. I'd be scared to death to wear anything that short.

Gail's Mom moved to Louisville right after our junior year and we lost track of each other. I didn't know it, but Gail got married a week after we did. Well, it turns out her husband is in the Army, too, and he's stationed in Saigon. She's pretty sure he'll come back to Ft. Campbell since he's in the 101st Airborne like you are, so she decided to move back to Oak Grove. We got to talking and decided we'd find a two-bedroom and share the rent. It will be nice having someone my own age to talk to, not to mention feeling safer since I won't be by myself. Well, we finally found one in Hopkinsville, and we're going to start moving in on Saturday.

You haven't written about being in any fights yet. It's all right with me if you never are, but I suppose that has to happen one of these days. Your dad says you probably won't tell me about any thing that happens to you. I can live with that as long as you come home to me safe and sound. Just take care of yourself, OK?

It's almost noon, and I have to get to sleep. I know that sounds funny, but I have to sleep during the day. It was hard the first week, but I'm getting used to it now. I'm going to have to find a different job when you get home. I don't want to be asleep when you're awake, and at work when you're in bed. I want to be awake when you are, and in bed when you are. Notice I didn't say asleep?

Hugs to my big guy, and lots of kisses

Shelley

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Feb 7, 1968

To my wonderful, brave husband, Tim

We were all worried sick when we turned on the news and saw that a big battle had broken out right where you're stationed. Then, when I didn't get any letters, and neither did your Mom, we were scared something had happened to you. Your dad kept saying you couldn't write and shoot at the same time, and that we shouldn't worry, but I could tell he was scared too. It made us all breathe a lot easier when we got your letter.

Darling, I don't know what to say to make you feel better about your two friends who got killed. I asked Reverend Ames about it. All he said was that, sometimes, we're not supposed to understand why things happen, but that everything happens for the best. That didn't seem like a very good answer to me. I doubt their parents think it was for the best that they died. It sounds like they were really good soldiers and that you were very close.

This isn't a good time to tell you this, but I know you'd want to know. Glenda Mason, the girl who was dating Tommy Prince, heard from his mother that Tommy got killed in Saigon on the same day as your friends. Gail and I went over to her house and sat with her for a while last night. She's just about gone to pieces. Tommy was supposed to get home next month, and they'd decided to get married right after that. Glenda had already bought her dress, and she and her mom were planning the wedding. About all we could do was hug her when she was crying, and try to talk to her when she wasn't. I was feeling pretty bad when we got back to our apartment.

I'm about to cry right now, so I'd better close or I'll smear all my ink. I prayed that you'd be all right, and my prayers were answered. I love you so much, I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you. I know it's selfish and probably a sin, but I thanked God that it was the others and not you that got killed. I don't think I could live without you.

With all my love,

Shelley

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Mar 21, 1968

To Tim, the love of my life,

Well, I've been writing the same old boring stuff to you for weeks, and even though you say you like hearing it, it's fun to be able to write something different.

I found out something the other day. Gail plays with herself, and I'm not talking about solitaire. I feel kind of funny telling you this, because of the way it made me feel. Here's what happened.

I got home from work about eight, and I was trying to be quiet since it was Gail's day off. I was tiptoeing to my bedroom when I heard this groaning coming from Gail's room. She sounded like she was sick or something, so I went to her door. It was open a little bit and I peeked in. She was lying there naked and she had her massager on her hand. I told you about that massager, remember? You put your hand through some spring things and the massager goes on the back of your hand. She used it on my back one night when it hurt, and it felt pretty good. Well, anyway, she had it on her hand and had her hand down between her legs. She groaned again, and pushed herself up off the mattress. When she was up in the air, I could see that she had her fingers right up there inside herself. She reached up and pinched herself on the breast, right on her nipple, and the sound she made was really weird. Then, she gasped and started to shake all over. After one more groan, and she sort of relaxed, but she kept her hand down there. Every once in a while, she'd push up her hips and make a little moaning sound. When she shut off the massager, I tiptoed back to our front door, opened it really fast, and then closed it pretty hard. I was almost to my bedroom when she came out of hers and went down the hall to the bathroom.

She was still naked. Gail walks around our apartment naked a lot. The first time she did it, I must have blushed because she asked me what was wrong. I said it was kind of embarrassing to see her naked. She just said we were both girls so it was all right. I'd pretty much gotten over it since then, but after what I saw this morning, it just won't be the same.

We had a little talk about what we were going to do on the weekend, but I'm afraid I was pretty distracted. She was sitting there on a kitchen chair, and her hair, down there, was all sticky looking. She still had her stuff all over her. I smelled this really faint scent, kind of like I smell down there, but a little different. Gail didn't notice, or at least she didn't say anything. She just kept talking like nothing was the matter. I guess everything was fine with her, but I felt really embarrassed.

I told you it made me feel funny, and it did. I've been trying not to think about sex since you left. Mother said it would be easier that way. When I saw Gail doing that to herself, it brought back all those memories of you and me making love. I've been all worked up since then, but unless I start doing what Gail does, I'll just have to stay that way, I guess. I just wish you were here. I want so bad to feel that way, like Gail did this morning. I was almost able to get there every time just before you had to go to Vietnam. God, do I ever wish you were here. I need to feel your touch and your kisses so much.

Whew, I need to go take a cold shower. Gail says it's because I started yesterday. She says she's really, you know, horny, when she's having her period. I never thought about it before, but I guess she's right. We never did anything then, at least together, but it felt good to help you out, so I guess that was enough for me. Right now, I'd probably rape you if you were here.

I'm surprised I wrote that, the part about raping you. It just isn't like me, or at least, it isn't like I used to be. I know you got frustrated sometimes when I didn't want to do it, and now that you're so far away, I tell you that I'd like to rape you. Well, Honey, you just wait until you get home. I'm never going to turn you down again. You might even be wanting to turn me down before I get enough of you.

Well, I'm going over to your mom and dad's for dinner before I go to work, so I'd better get some sleep. I'll be thinking about you in my dreams, my big, strong guy.

I love you with all my heart,

Shelley

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Mar 31, 1968

My Darling Tim,

The news says your fighting again. I hate to say it, but I've kind of gotten used to it in some ways. We see the war on TV every night, so it's almost getting to be like some movie that never ends. I know it isn't the same. You're over there and people are shooting at you and you're shooting back

After they show about the war, they usually show a protest somewhere or other. I understand what those hippies are trying to do, but it doesn't seem right to go against the President. I have to believe he knows what he's doing, or else he wouldn't be the President, right?

Your dad is starting to criticize the Army for the way they're running the war. He thinks it's crazy to go out and fight for some hill, and once we've won it, just walk away. He thinks we ought to have a front line, like they did in WWII. The other night, he said there are enough of you to line up side by side and march from Saigon up to Hanoi, and he doesn't know why the Army doesn't do just that. He still thinks the Army should have known about the Tet Offensive. That's what they call it on TV -- an offensive. I thought it looked like a pretty big battle. I think your dad just worries about you a lot. He doesn't understand that this war isn't like WWII.

I was a little surprised by the last part of your letter. I already knew there were prostitutes in Vietnam. Your dad was good enough to tell me that prostitutes are around all military bases, bless his little heart. As if I didn't have enough to worry about with people shooting at you. I guess it's good to know that you're taking care of your "urges" by yourself instead of going to one of them. I know you used to do that sometimes, at least until we got married, and that you liked to have me do it for you. I don't know if I can do what you suggested, though. Mother caught me doing that once and told me it would make it hard to enjoy being with my husband. I never did it again. I don't really believe she was telling me the truth, but I still hear her saying that whenever I touch myself there. I don't know. I'll think about it.

ronde
ronde
2,390 Followers