Letting Go

Story Info
Past experiences keep Keith and Abby from letting go.
13k words
4.81
4.3k
16
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PickFiction
PickFiction
1,433 Followers

All of my writing is fiction, and the stories and characters are products of my imagination. They were created for my fun and, hopefully, your enjoyment. Some of the events in the stories are not particularly condoned nor encouraged by the author but are there to create and enhance the story of the imaginary characters and their lives. Comments are always encouraged and carefully reviewed. All characters within the story that need to be are 18 years of age or older. I hope you enjoy! And take a second to vote and comment. Thanks

~~~

ABBY

"So, how was it?" Erin always got right to the point.

"It was okay, like most of them are."

"Okay, doesn't cut it, you know."

"Tell me about it. I think every unmarried guy over twenty-eight has something wrong with them."

"What was wrong with this one, anything in particular?"

I chuckled. "No, nothing I could put my finger on. He didn't grab my boob or suggest we get a room. He didn't really do anything or suggest anything. He just talked a lot about when he played football in high school. He let me know that he was pretty good back then. Back then," I repeated for emphasis.

"The magic wasn't there anymore, huh?" Erin said with a giggle.

"I don't think what used to be there was magic, either."

"Despite my teasing, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your men."

"They're not exactly MY men, Erin." I rolled my eyes to let her know I was serious.

"After Alex, it couldn't get much worse."

"Don't remind me, Erin." I sighed as, despite my distaste for them, the memories flooded back.

We'd met during our senior years of college. Alex was handsome and intelligent, and his family was relatively well off. I tried not to let the latter item influence me but was only partially successful. I'd grown up with parents who lived not quite paycheck to paycheck but very close to that. Around Alex, if I mentioned it, I usually got it. I tried to be careful of what I said, but I wasn't used to stifling my wishes since at home, they were just wishes.

Alex had been anxious to get married, and I didn't protest. I was almost embarrassed to wear the two-carat diamond engagement ring he gave me, and he allowed me to plan the wedding of my dreams. As a teen, I'd read romance novels and had developed vivid pictures in my mind of the wedding I wanted.

So we were off to Sint Maarten, the Dutch side, of course. Eight of us were there, but the ceremony on the beach drew many curious observers. It was wonderful, and I'd never been happier.

That lasted until we returned home.

Alex let me know that I wouldn't be working despite my honors degree in engineering and that I'd be responsible for the care of the house, keeping it always ready for surprise visits from dignitaries that Alex might be entertaining. Plus, I had to be ready to prepare meals for these dignitaries. I also had to be prepared to dress appropriately for each occasion. And, speaking of dressing, he told me what clothes I'd be wearing, and he was very specific about design, color, and fit. Most were not at all what I'd have chosen for myself.

Alex never harmed me physically, but his criticisms of almost everything I did or said were demeaning and hurt me mentally, spiritually, and psychologically. I was, after all, an honors graduate in engineering and was being treated like I was a four-year-old with no brain of my own.

I'd seen no hint of this before we were married, and I endured it for a year before Alex returned home to find me gone for good. Friends encouraged me to hold out for a large settlement, but I was happy to be free. I did have nearly ten thousand dollars in a clothing fund that I was able to grab hold of before I left.

I'd gotten a job and had quickly purchased a house. Life was moving on.

"None of the guys have any possibilities?" Erin continued.

"Nope," I answered, hoping to end this discussion.

"Well, after Alex, you didn't have any trouble getting a job with an engineering degree and your looks." Erin wiggled her eyebrows and smiled.

"I'm not sure my looks had anything to do with it."

"How long were you a model?" She smirked at me.

"Just while I was in college and just for spending money." I'd been a catalog model for a major retailer, and they'd informed me that there'd been several inquiries about my availability, but I wanted to be an engineer and not a model, so I ignored them.

"Is anything else exciting happening?"

"Nothing special that I know of, but there is some kind of a special meeting, subject unknown, tomorrow. Maybe we're all going to get a big bonus." I laughed as that wasn't "very likely.

"Good luck on the bonus," Erin said, her laughter joining mine.

~~~

KEITH

So what is this thing you're skipping out of work to attend?" Phil asked, perching on the edge of my desk.

"It's a three-day combination thing. There's a design engineering show, some kind of awards program, and a job fair as well."

"Isn't that an odd combination of events?"

"I suppose so, but I might find a good engineer as well as some unknown product we might be able to use."

"Good luck on that. Maybe you can find a good-looking engineer to marry and to work here." Phil chuckled.

" Speaking in probabilities, there's about a one percent chance of that happening."

"Your probabilities are probably right. Have you checked the new lady in sales?"

"I'm way too busy to run around checking out women."

"Another thirty years, and I might buy that."

"I'll admit that I do enjoy attractive women, looking at them, that is."

It had been that way since the divorce. There was something about coming home from work a little early to surprise your wife and hearing familiar sounds, then finding your wife in the midst of a loud orgasm while having sex with the two doors up the street neighbor. She was definitely surprised. There were two divorces on our street in quick succession.

My whole outlook on things changed after that. My one-man business became of paramount interest in my life and, now diversified, grew to over one hundred employees. Despite several women's attempts to break into my celibate life, I wasn't at all interested. Oh, I still enjoyed looking, and sometimes I looked too long, which only provided false encouragement.

"Nothing wrong with that. So do I. Have fun at the whatever it is. I'll keep things going here." Phil dislodged himself from my desk and headed back to his office.

I left work at noon, packed, and headed to the show, which was only about a two-hour drive away. The trip was uneventful, and I checked into the hotel, ready to shower and dress for the award dinner.

As I was about to shower, I glanced out my window and came to a quick stop. I instantly knew how David felt about Bathsheba. She wasn't on the roof, but I could see that she was gorgeous, and since she was in the bathroom, I could see that she was about to shower.

She turned slightly toward the window, and I saw her entire face for the first time. It was framed by what I thought was a pageboy cut, and it was beautiful. When she began unbuttoning her blouse, I moved even closer to the window, hoping she didn't look up. I was perfectly placed one floor above her and across the narrow grassy area between us.

Feeling a mite guilty, I hoped she wouldn't close the blind as she stripped off her skirt. I couldn't see her below the waist, but the way her breasts looked, still contained by her bra, I could easily imagine what was currently hidden.

My breath caught in my throat when she unfastened her bra and tossed it aside. I wasn't sure her breasts were a perfect pair, but I decided that they were as nice as any I'd ever seen. When she bent to remove her panties, they swung alluringly from side to side.

When she turned and opened the shower door, her backside was easily as appealing as her front. She closed the door, but was still visible since it was glass. It wasn't long before she was hidden behind the steam-covered door, but I was willing to wait until her shower was complete.

I certainly wasn't disappointed when she emerged and began drying herself, carefully lifting each breast and toweling away the moisture beneath it. The drying process ended far too quickly when she switched off the light and disappeared into the room where the drapes were closed.

As much as I would have liked to watch for her to reappear, I needed to dress for the dinner. I'd brought a suit and tie and soon was on the elevator, heading to the first floor and the banquet room. At the door, a pleasant lady directed me to the registration table.

"Hello," another lady said, a big smile on her face.

"Keith Elliot," I said in response.

"Ah, yes. Here's your nametag. You have a seat at table B, and the bar is right over there," she said, gesturing.

"Thank you very much," I said as I left the table and headed for the bar. A martini might be good, but I decided to leave that for later, should the opportunity present itself. Instead, I asked for a glass of Merlot and began checking to see if there was anyone there that I might know.

I didn't find any acquaintances and joined a small group engaged in light conversation just before there was an announcement that dinner was being served. So I headed back to table B, which I had scouted out earlier. As I stood behind my chair, waiting for the rest of the occupants of the table to arrive, my mouth dropped open.

~~~

ABBY

I didn't enjoy airports, airplanes, or flying, but it was something that occasionally had to be done. This was one of them, so I packed somewhat reluctantly and headed for the airport. Three days away from the humdrum of the normal workday might turn out to be enjoyable. I'd been to a couple of engineering shows, and it had been fun to see some of the new products that were available.

The award would be exciting and embarrassing at the same time. I didn't enjoy being singled out even though it happened way more than I wanted. I just enjoyed the work, but my boss had nominated me for the award without my knowing about it ... and I'd been one of the winners. Unfortunately, I knew I'd be blessed with rosy cheeks when presentation time came.

The flight had been quick and uneventful except for the obnoxious male flight attendant who wouldn't leave me alone. We did spend about fifteen minutes on the tarmac waiting for them to repair the jetway so we could get into the airport. I jumped on the shuttle to the hotel and checked in, after which I had nearly two hours before I had to be at the dinner, so, as I always did in a hotel or motel, I ran across the room and jumped, landing flat on my back on the bed. I knew I'd enjoy sleeping in it.

After fifteen minutes of just relaxing, I decided to shower. My room had a large walk-in shower that I was anxious to experience. First, though, I needed to unpack and file my clothing very neatly into the several drawers that were available to me, except, of course, for what I'd wear to the dinner. Satisfied, I carefully closed each drawer and headed back to the shower.

I undressed and stepped through the glass door, closing it gently behind me. The water was adjusted, the little plastic shower hat put into place, and I stepped under the comfortably warm spray. The soap was fragrant, and I felt clean and refreshed when I stepped out and dried with the big soft towel. Then, to the other room to dress.

~~~

KEITH

I couldn't believe my eyes, but she was walking directly toward me. That same dark hair framing that beguiling face, the lavender dress now covering her flawless body, and I felt that I needed to pinch myself. I had to be dreaming.

"Hello," she said with a big smile. "I'm assigned to table B, so do you mind if I sit here beside you?"

I couldn't pull the chair out quickly enough.

"My pleasure," I said, my smile matching hers.

If anything, she was even more beautiful this close. Her eyes matched her hair, dark yet bright, and they pulled me in even though she was completely unaware of it. And that sleek and almost glistening hair framed a face that seemed to glow, a face of innocent beauty.

I was around attractive women all the time, but I realized this one seemed different, even without knowing anything about her other than that she was probably an engineer.

When we were both seated, I decided I needed to introduce myself.

"I'm Keith Elliot."

"Thank you, and I'm very pleased to meet you. Abby Cres."

"Do you happen to be one of those honorees we're celebrating this evening?" I smiled, not expecting the answer I received.

"Ugh, yes," Abby replied. "Don't tell anyone until they announce it."

I looked quickly from side to side. "Congratulations," I said quietly. "You must be proud of getting the award, though."

"Oh, I am. I just don't enjoy being the center of attention."

"Anyone as attractive as you are has to be the center of attention lots of times."

Abby's cheeks turned bright pink, and she looked down at her hands.

Surprising myself, I looked at her hands, too, at least at the ring finger on her left hand, which was devoid of anything bright and shiny. It had been a while since I'd done that.

"Thank you," she replied softly.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you. I just stated the obvious."

The smile returned to Abby's face as she lifted her head.

"Tell me what you're doing at this show," she said, clearly changing the subject.

"I started a little specialty engineering company, so I come to these shows to look for new products and ... " I paused and looked squarely at Abby. "And new people," I continued.

A smile spread slowly across her face. "So, you're kind of a pirate, coming here to steal engineers." She chuckled.

"I don't steal people against their will, but I'm sure some of the companies may feel pirated. I'm just willing to pay and give people a chance to excel and fulfill their full potential."

"That sounds like a pitch you've worked up to lure engineers to your company."

I laughed. "You make it sound devious." Actually, I was beginning to wonder if I had a pitch to lure her to my room. Then I chastised myself. I was already sensing that Abby was much more than a one-night stand -- or two nights if I was lucky. That thought, disgusting as it was, caused me to laugh. I hoped she'd think the laugh went with the comment.

"I just don't feel like you'd be devious about anything," she said warmly.

" Wow. That's quite a vote of confidence."

"I may be an engineer, but I think I read people relatively well."

That made me wonder just how well she was reading my thoughts. At least she wasn't running away and hadn't slapped me. There were still some very vivid pictures embedded in my short-term memory that kept popping to the surface.

"That's a valuable asset," I assured her.

Other people were arriving at the table, and everyone introduced themselves. That helped me learn that Abby lived about a two-hour drive from me should that ever become important.

Dinner was served, and it was delicious, but I'd been remiss.

"Can I get you some wine or something else to go with your dinner?" I asked quietly.

I received a questioning look and then a smile. "Why, thank you. What's that you have?"

"Merlot."

"I'll save the something else for later. Merlot would be great, and thank you so much."

I hopped up and hurried to the bar, not wanting to keep Abby waiting and not wanting my food to get cold.

The food was so good that idle chatter was limited, with just an occasional comment, usually about the food.

Abby leaned toward me. "I wish I could get the recipe for this. It's wonderful."

My turn to smile at her. "Not only an engineer but a chef, too?"

Abby laughed. "I'm anything but a chef, but I refuse to become addicted to fast food. So, I've taught myself to cook."

"I probably should have done that after my divorce. Since that time, my eating habits haven't been the best."

"The same was happening to me, and that's why I learned to do a little cooking."

She didn't actually say it, but did that mean she was divorced, too? If so, that was two things we had in common.

Dinner ended, and the short program began. The public part of the event would begin tomorrow; tonight's dinner was for the honorees and special guests, and, somehow, I was a special guest.

Since the official presentations would be made tomorrow evening at another dinner, the honorees were only asked to stand at their places. The loud applause and called congratulations from her table mates produced the expected blush from Abby.

When she sat down, she looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"Famous people have to put up with that, you know."

She snorted. "Famous, ha."

The program was over, and the people were scattering. Abby was still sitting, and I had an idea.

~~~

ABBY

"Listen, I don't want to impose, but I've enjoyed talking with you. How about heading to the bar for a little more conversation?" Keith had an expectant look on his face.

How could I say no to his question? I mean, he'd been polite and kind, but the way he looked at me told me there was more than just friendship on his mind. Still, with the graying hair at his temples and the big blue eyes, I had to admit that he was handsome and seemed to be very intelligent. If he had started a successful engineering company, he had to be intelligent.

"Sure. I'm away from home, and I might as well have some fun. Let's go."

We walked to the bar and chatted along the way, and I was surprised at how comfortable I felt in my time with him. That was dangerous, and I needed to be careful. I'd been duped once, and I wasn't anxious for it to happen again. Perhaps I was being silly or misinterpreting his interest, but there was something in his eyes when he looked at me that said he was interested in more than my engineering.

"Is this table good for you?" he asked as he pulled out a chair.

I decided to test him.

"How about that one over there?"

"Your wish is my command, m'lady," he said, bowing as he pushed the chair back in, and we headed for the table I had indicated.

We sat down, and Keith gave me a lowered-head look that I interpreted to be saying, "I know what you just did." I returned his smile.

"I'll buy this round," I volunteered.

"I'll get it," he countered.

"I'm on an expense account."

"So am I, and I bet I get fewer questions on mine than you might on yours."

He finished that with a chuckle. Who questions an owner's expense account?

"And what will you be having?" he added.

"I think I'll just stick with wine." I wasn't anxious to get really stoned.

"Still Merlot?"

"Sure, and thank you."

Keith waved at the server and then ordered. She returned with two glasses and a bottle of Merlot, which she skillfully opened. Keith poured, and we were ready.

"So, Abby, tell me about yourself."

The look I gave him was partly puzzlement and partly curiosity -- or maybe not, I wasn't sure. Somehow, this Keith guy has me confused. He seemed very interested in my engineering and had questioned me extensively at dinner. Still, my stalker antennae were quivering, probably because he was so good-looking. I'd been wrong before; maybe I was this time, too.

"There's nothing tremendously exciting to tell. I've always enjoyed STEM subjects and decided that engineering was a good place to live that out."

"Since you've won this award, I'd say you've been fairly successful."

"Thanks, and I guess I have." I couldn't keep a big smile from filling my face.

"That smile tells me that you love it and really lights up that beautiful face of yours."

"Don't," I said rather sharply."

"Don't?"

I was trying to discern what I was saying and why I was saying it, but there seemed to be a disconnect between my brain and my mouth. He'd cocked his head to the side and was eyeing me; I think his brain working as hard as mine was.

PickFiction
PickFiction
1,433 Followers