Life's Too Short

Story Info
A disturbing diagnosis brings mother and son closer.
22k words
4.84
69.8k
162
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
blaster666
blaster666
4,104 Followers

Life's Too Short

Sometimes in life things happen that bring two people closer together. Much closer than either of them ever dreamed possible. Such is the case with this Mother and Son. I hope you enjoy my latest tale, and as always, comments, good or bad are welcome.

As we were ushered into the office I could tell by the look on Dr. Bernstein's face that the news wasn't good. Mom had been feeling light-headed lately and after a lot of coaxing from me had gone in to see our family physician. After a thorough exam he wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary, so he had ordered some lab work done. A week later we were there to get the results.

"Mrs. Martin...Grace...I've received the results of your blood work..."

I could see the struggle on the old man's face as he tried to find the words. His eyes were glued to the folder on his desk, his lips compressed thin.

"For heaven's sake Lou, just spit it out," mom softly encouraged.

Dr. Bernstein gazed up from the folder and stared straight into mom's eyes. He squared his shoulders and said, "Leukemia. Advanced."

I watched as mom's face grew ashen, her body wilting into her chair as if all the air had been sucked from her body. The silence in the room lingered for some time before mom pulled herself together and gazed back at the doctor. After a few moments she spoke again, her voice strained.

"That's impossible! Other than being slightly dizzy occasionally I don't have a single symptom. Shouldn't I at least be showing some signs?"

"Normally, I would say yes, especially with how advanced your case is. But, there have been cases were the patient didn't exhibit symptoms until quite late. Granted, these are very rare cases, but it has happened," Dr. Bernstein explained.

Stiffening her back and sitting straight up, mom weakly asked, "So how advanced are we talking here?"

"Stage four," came the doctor's reply.

Mom slumped back in her chair as once more the wind seemed to be knocked from her body. I felt helpless, unable to think of anything to say that might help.

"I've already been in touch with Dr. Lee. He's one of the best oncologist in the state," Dr. Bernstein began.

"You're talking chemotherapy, radiation treatments, that sort of stuff," mom quizzed.

"Of course. We can get everything set up for you right away so there's no delay in getting treatment started," the doctor said.

Mom sat up in her chair, looked the doctor in the eyes and said, "Give it to me straight Lou. In your professional opinion what is the prognosis."

Dr. Bernstein squirmed in his chair, returned mom's firm gaze and answered, "Truthfully, given the advanced nature of the disease, not good. But with treatment we can prolong the progression."

"Thanks, but no thanks," mom said, standing and turning toward the door.

"Grace, be reasonable." Doctor Bernstein implored, standing too.

Mom turned around and with a sad smile said, "Lou, I've been a nurse for over twenty years, I've seen this before. If I'm going to die, then it's going to be on my terms."

Mom turned and went out the door without another word, leaving me sitting there in stunned disbelief. After what felt like hours, but was in actuality only a few seconds, I stood and headed toward the door. Doctor Bernstein reached across his desk, his hand landing on my forearm stopping me.

"Alan, see if you can talk some sense into your mother, maybe she'll listen to you," he said.

Without even looking at him I replied, "I'll try, but you know how stubborn she can be," then continued out of the building.

As I stepped out into the parking lot the bright afternoon sun forced me to pause long enough to put on my sunglasses. In the middle of the lot I saw mom leaning against my well-worn Jeep Cherokee, a cigarette in her hand, something she only did when stressed. I stood there briefly taking her in. The white billowy sundress she wore contrasted starkly against her bronzed-colored complexion, the result of her Mexican heritage. Unlike my mother I took after my father when it came to skin tone; he was as white as the stay-puff marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. That's not to say that I was "too" white, but I did need to make sure to apply sunscreen when I spent any length of time out in the sun. As I stared at her I couldn't help but feel a deep-seated fear. How could she be dying? At forty-three she was so full of life. I stood there a few seconds longer then made my way over to her.

Sometimes my mouth says things before my brain has a chance to tell me not to. That's what happened when I reached her.

"Those things will kill you," I said, instantly regretting my remark.

Mom shot me a pained look, threw her cigarette down, then climbed into the jeep without a word. As soon as I got in I feebly tried to apologize for my insensitive comment, but mom just told me to drive. The ride home was spent in total silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts.

Once we reached our house I no sooner had the jeep put in park than mom jumped out and ran inside. I followed shortly after, just in time to see her heading down the hallway with a bottle of wine in her hand. For some reason I jumped when I heard her bedroom door slam shut. Worried I followed.

Tapping lightly on her door I asked, "Mom, are you okay?" I immediately admonished myself for saying yet another stupid thing.

"I'm fine, I just need to be alone for now," I heard her reply through the door.

"Let me know if you need anything," I called out, but when I didn't get a reply I walked away.

As if in a trance I found myself in the kitchen staring into the refrigerator. There on the bottom shelf sat a six pack of long necked Buds. I pulled one out, popped the top, and took a seat on the couch in the front room. I was twenty-one, and given the circumstances, I was sure no one would begrudge me for indulging in a few beers. One turned into two, two into three, and so forth. By the time I was on the last bottle I was starting to get a good buzz going. It didn't help my mood though. All I did while sitting there was feel sorry for myself. We had lost dad to a boating accident just under two years ago, and now all my mind could dwell on was the fact that I was going to lose mom too. I wanted to shout at the top of my lungs that it wasn't fair, but who would listen. God? Yeah, right!

I don't know how long I sat there wallowing in my own self-pity before I fell asleep. All I know is that when I woke up mom had placed a blanket over me and cleaned up the empty bottles that I'd left on the coffee table. Glancing at the front window I noticed that it was dark outside. Needing some fresh air I made my way out the front door and stood in the driveway staring up at the heavens, my lungs drawing in the crisp night air. As I stared up at the stars I had an epiphany. Why in the hell was I feeling sorry for myself, I wasn't the one dying, mom was. I had to come to grips with that. I vowed right then and there that I would do everything in my power to make her remaining time the best it could be. I owed her nothing less. Taking one last look at the twinkling stars I went inside and climbed into bed, my heart not as heavy as before.

Daylight filtered in through my bedroom window as I rose and prepared myself for the day. Throwing on some jeans and a t-shirt I stepped out into the hall and glanced over at mom's bedroom door. It was closed. Usually it was open if she were up, so I emptied my bladder and headed to the kitchen. I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast the day before, so I proceeded to fry up some bacon and eggs. Once finished I placed some on a plate and carried it down to mom's room. I thought I'd surprise her with breakfast in bed. When I reached her room I tapped softly on the door but got no response. I tapped a little harder with the same results.

"Mom?" I called out.

Getting no answer I started to worry. Reaching out with my free hand I grabbed the doorknob and twisted; it turned easily in my hand. Gently I opened the door enough that I could see into the room. There on her bed was mom. She was still wearing her sundress and was curled into a fetal position, a blanket covering her from her hips down. On the bed next to her was an empty bottle of wine, and on the floor next to the bed lay what looked like a photo album, one I didn't remember ever seeing.

"Mom?" I called out again.

Getting no answer I stepped into the room and placed her breakfast on her nightstand. For several minutes I just stood there watching her sleep, she looked so peaceful. I decided to let her sleep, so I left her plate where it was and gently pulled her blanket up around her shoulders. As I was turning to leave my foot kicked the photo album on the floor. I picked it up and was about to place it on the bed but changed my mind. I turned it over in my hands staring at the rich leather binding. I definitely knew I'd never seen it before. Without thinking I tucked it under my arm, softly closed her door and returned to the kitchen to eat. After I finished I rinsed my plate off and put it in the dishwasher, as I was about to step away I spied the photo album sitting on the counter where I had put it. Thinking it would be cool to see what was in it I took it with me and sat back down at the dining table. When I opened the cover a smile spread across my lips.

The first page held a photograph yellowing with age. It showed mom and dad leaning against an old car, smiles beaming brightly on their faces. They looked so young. I ran my fingertips gently over the picture before turning the page. The next page held a photo, also yellowing with age, that had my jaw hanging open and my breath catching in my throat.

It showed mom sitting on the same old car, another huge smile on her face as the wind blew her hair about her head. It was a great picture of her, but the only problem was she was topless. She had her arms crossed under her breast which caused them to be pushed up. I could clearly see her eraser-sized nipples were hard, as if she were enjoying having her picture taken. With a gulp I turned the page only to see a picture of my father coming out of a pool completely naked, his cock fully erect, the pubic hair around it shaved off.

"Looks like we have something in common, Dad," I chuckled. I too like to keep my pubs trimmed close.

On the same page was a photo of mom coming out of what obviously was the same pool, she too was naked. She had that same beguiling smile as her other picture, but this one showed all of her body. I felt heat rise on my face as I took in her youthful figure, from her perfectly shaped breasts with quarter-sized areolas, a rich brown in color, to the well-manicured black bush between her toned thighs. I must have gulped ten times before I finally forced myself to turn the page.

The next couple of pages were photos of places. A lake somewhere, what looked like a picture of Niagara Falls, and one outside of a cabin in the woods. I assumed they were from places my parents had visited. The next page had an airline ticket taped to it. I read the destination. Bermuda. I wondered if this was where they had taken their honeymoon. I'd never heard them talk about it, so I assumed it was possible, the date on the ticket was at the right time anyway. Turning the page I noticed how the photos had become sharper, their image crisper in detail, most likely from a digital camera I assumed. I could actually make out the way mom's areolas crinkled as she shyly looked into the camera, a sultry pout on her full lips. Absently I reached down and rearranged my stiffening cock in my jeans.

The next page showed mom under what had to be a dining table with a floor-length table cloth, her smoldering brown eyes staring defiantly into the camera, her lips wrapped around what I assumed was dad's cock. The swelling in my jeans increased forcing me to swiftly close the album and push it away, fearful of what else I might see in it. I could understand why I'd never seen it before. Just as I leaned back in my chair mom walked in carrying her breakfast plate. She placed it on the counter near the sink then proceeded to fix herself a cup of coffee. I could see she hadn't eaten any of it. When she finally turned around her eyes landed on me for a brief moment before she spotted the photo album sitting on the table.

"Oh my God! What is this doing out here?" she squealed, rushing over and snatching the album from the table.

"I found it on your floor when I brought in your breakfast," I explained.

"Did you look inside?" she asked, a slight tremor in her voice.

"Just a few pages," I replied.

Her eyes slowly closed, and I could see a blush of color rise on her face.

"I'm so embarrassed," she whispered, then took off for her room leaving me sitting there, slightly hard, and deeply ashamed for invading her privacy.

I was torn between running after her and apologizing, to just sitting here and giving her space. I opted for the second choice, hoping it would give her time to realize I hadn't known the album contained such personal pictures. Once I'd finished my coffee I decided to go for a drive; that always cleared my head.

Just cruising around town did clear my thoughts. It allowed me to put things into perspective. I had just graduated collage with a degree in electrical engineering and was already being offered employment from several large companies in town. I had flown through my courses because dad, who was a journeyman electrician, had taught me all he knew while I was growing up. I used to cherish the times he would take me with him on some of his jobs. A smile played on my lips as I recalled how patient he had been with me. Just as fast as the smile appeared, it disappeared. Dad was gone, and now I was going to lose mom too. And just like that I was once more wallowing in my own self-pity.

"Get a grip on yourself, you big pussy!" I growled.

Swinging the wheel hard left I zipped into the parking lot of Trader Joes. I knew I couldn't help mom medically, but I could do something nice to help cheer her up. By the time I walked out of the store I had all the things I needed to make one of her favorite meals, not to mention a couple of bottles of wine and a twelve pack of beer for myself. I was actually feeling upbeat by the time I reached home. Mom was nowhere in sight, so I put the groceries away and headed toward her room.

I made my way down the hall and as I approached her bedroom I noticed her door was cracked open. After tapping on it and getting no reply I slowly pushed it open and stepped inside. The room was empty, but I could hear her shower running in the en-suite bathroom. Hesitantly I stepped toward the sound of running water. The door to her bathroom was opened about two inches allowing me to see the sink and the mirror above it. My breath caught in my throat as my eyes settled on the mirror. Mom was in the shower washing her hair, her hands above her head lathering up the shampoo, her torso completely exposed to my astonished eyes. Each time her hands worked the shampoo in her breast would jiggle. I was rooted to the spot, unable to tear my eyes away from her. Trance-like I watched her brown areolas tighten as the water cascaded down her body, the suds of her shampoo converging at her trimmed bush only to slowly drop to the shower floor. Suddenly I saw her eyes open wide. The realization quickly hit me that if I could see her, then she could see me. Panic swept over me, and I stumbled backwards and made a hasty retreat, stopping only when I reached the relative safety of the front room.

I had no sooner sat on the couch than mom came walking in. Her hair was bundled under a towel, her body wrapped comfortably in her plush terry-clothed robe. She stopped at the end of the couch and gazed down at me. It was evident by the look in her eyes that she had something on her mind.

"Were you just in my room?" she asked, her eyes staring directly into mine, as if daring me to deny it.

"Yes. I didn't see you out here, so I went in there to see if you were okay," I replied.

"I'm alright," she stated unconvincingly, then headed into the kitchen.

I followed shortly after and found her sitting with her elbows on the table and her head in her hands.

"You need to eat something, Mom," I said, pulling out the chair next to her's at the table.

Raising her head she smiled, then said, "I'm not hungry."

"Maybe not, but you really ought to eat something. How about I make you some toast?"

"That's sweet of you to offer, honey, but I seriously doubt if anything would stay down right now," came her response.

"Well I hope you feel better by suppertime, because I'm cooking tonight," I told her.

With a crooked smile she said, "Really? You're going to cook dinner?"

It's true, my culinary skills weren't anywhere near as good as her, but I did know how to cook some things. Her favorite meal being one of those.

"And pray tell, what is my favorite son going to cook for his Momma," she chuckled.

Smiling broadly, I told her, "Well, being your only son, I'm making my favorite Mother pan seared salmon, oven-roasted asparagus, and rice pilaf."

I could see the sparkle of life in her eyes as she laughed.

"Sounds yummy, but since when have you been able to cook?"

"Dad taught me, right before his accident." In hindsight I should've left that last part out. In the blink of an eye the sparkle in her eyes faded.

Leaping to my feet I pulled her up and tightly embraced her, apologizing profusely as I held her in my arms. Her body trembled as she pressed herself even tighter against me. We stood like that for several minutes before she finally stepped back and looked up into my eyes. Tiny tears rolled down her cheeks, and as gently as I could I wiped them away with my thumbs.

"Don't cry, Mom. I'm gonna take care of you," I whispered.

"Oh Mijo, I love you so much baby," she cried, flinging herself against me once more.

This time I held her to me, my hands rubbing up and down her back. When we finally parted she smiled brightly, pecked me on the cheek and said she was going to get dressed. As she walked away I couldn't stop myself from following her with my eyes. The tiny sway of her hips captivating my thoughts. Once she was out of sight I adjusted the stiffness growing in my jeans. I wanted to chastise myself for getting aroused by my own mother but couldn't. I knew it was a natural thing. She truly was a remarkably sexy woman.

We really didn't see much of each other the rest of the day, mom stayed in her room, and I stayed in mine. Around five-thirty I began to make dinner. Once I had finished cooking I sat the table, poured a nice glass of wine for mom, and opened a beer for myself. When I had everything just the way I wanted I headed off to her room.

Tapping on her door I called out, "Mom, dinner is ready."

I heard her say, "I'll be right out."

I was already sitting when she joined me a minute later. I felt blood rush to my groin when I saw how she was dressed. The pale pink tank top fit her snuggly, especially around her chest. I could clearly tell she wasn't wearing a bra, her upturned nipples making small tents in the fabric. The white shorts she had on barely covered her cheeks, the middle seam wedged deep into her ass crack. An involuntary groan escaped my lips causing her to look at me.

"You okay honey?" she asked as she sat down across from me.

"Uh, yeah, fine," I sputtered out.

Her forehead knitted and she asked, "You sure?"

"I'm sure Mom, it's just you look so..." I couldn't finish.

"So...?" she encouraged me to finish.

"Hot!" I blurted out.

Heat rose on my face causing her to crack up laughing.

"That seems like an odd thing for a son to tell his Mother," she chuckled, obviously pushing my buttons.

The meal went fine, our conversations were light with no mention of mom's diagnosis. By the time we were through I had managed to down two beers while refilling her wine glass three times. When I poured the last one she did ask if I was trying to get her drunk, but other than that everything went off without a hitch. I was feeling pretty proud of myself by the time we pushed away from the table. She tried to help clear the dishes, but I placed the wine glass in her hand and told her to go into the front room and relax.

blaster666
blaster666
4,104 Followers