Light and Dark

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He started, "Vampires feed on humans, that's what we do. It happens everyday, so why are you interfering now?" He put quite a surge on the last part. Kind of a, 'you didn't kill my people while we were together' stab.

I could just ignore the subtleness of the punch, but then whom would I be fooling. "I shouldn't have to justify myself to you. I get the vision, I go. I don't get to pick and choose who I am going to help based on whom I've slept with. The bottom line is that I protect the innocent."

He stood. "Alexis." He clutched his fists at his sides. The anger emanating from him was so strong, that I briefly thought of how I could defend myself if I had to.

I stood and spoke first. "Nicklas. Obviously you are upset about something, but what I did tonight is not it. So please sit down." I put up the strongest wall that I could between us and took a step back. He took a deep breath, calmed himself a bit and looked at me. His eyes had turned black and he was trying to control himself. Vampire's eyes turn black whenever they are using their powers or right before they feed. I was hoping he wasn't holding back the latter.

He turned away. "You know I would never hurt you." He dropped his head and sat back down on the stool.

I stayed standing. "I never said that you were going to." He had read my thoughts. This was really awkward. I missed the times when we could just talk. I could tell him anything and he wouldn't judge me. Well not all of the time at least. It was nice to talk to someone who knew pretty much how my day had gone. I really wanted to know why he was here, but I was afraid to ask again. He was trying to deal with something and it was filtering through to me. Why was this bothering me? I would venture it was because I did still care for him. Oh who am I fooling? I'm pretty sure he was the only man I might have ever thought about loving. I cleared the wall I had built and touched his shoulder. He flinched but turned toward me. "Nicklas, I don't want to fight with you." I let my hand drop. "Please do tell me why we need to speak. I promise I will listen." I started to walk around the counter to boil some more water, when the phone rang. What a saving grace and I almost shouted a 'Hallelujah', but I refrained. I did think briefly about answering it, but it would be rude, so I continued my trip around the counter.

"Aren't you going to answer that?" I stopped at the tea cabinet and turned back to him, "I wasn't going to."

He shook his head, "Who would call you at this hour if it wasn't important." He had me there.

I put my mug down on the counter and walked the ten or so feet to the phone on the far wall of the kitchen. Before I picked up the receiver, I knew it was Madison. She and I met in a history class about six years ago when I was finishing my undergrad. She wasn't a witch, but let's just say that she embraced alternate means. She was the perfect example of a displaced hippie. Long black hair always naturally wavy, brown eyes that beamed with excitement and the weirdest wardrobe I've ever seen. She was a class act and a great friend, the only real one that I could open up to here in America. She knew everything about me. It was nice. I picked up the receiver, "Hello Madison."

She laughed and snorted whatever she was drinking out onto the receiver. "Alexis, you sounded so proper. It cracks me up every time."

I smiled at her remark. I had worked on softening my accent, but she convinced me it was my strong suit. I believe her exact words were, "You could sell a farmer cow shit and he would buy it with that accent. You sound intelligent."

She continued, "Hey, I'm sorry I'm calling so late but I knew you'd be up anyways. So you were, weren't you?"

"Yes I am. I was out."

Her excitement was peaking, "Hot date?"

I laughed, "You could call it that."

"On the job, eh? Well then I bet you're tired, but I was wandering if you could do me a favor?"

I switched the phone to my other ear, "Sure."

She paused for a moment, "Could you come over?" Her voice had changed. It was darker and she had the cell phone pressed up as close to her lips as possible.

"Madison, what's wrong?" I could feel Nicklas looking at me. Well now, wasn't this just a kicker?

Madison dropped her voice to almost a whisper. "I'm at Punk's and there seems to be a few guys that are about to start some shit. I almost didn't call cause they look human, but you know how you told me to call if I get a cold feeling about someone, well I am freezing. Plus there is just something funny about them, like they are trying too hard to be human."

I looked briefly at my watch. 2:20. Last call would be soon. "Madison are you safe?"

She was still whispering, "Yeah, but I think Punk is a little freaked out by these guys."

I thought about how I was going to handle this briefly, "How many are there?"

"Three. They've been playing pool for awhile now." She answered quickly.

"I'll be there in a few. Stay away from them, okay?"

She whispered a yes and hung up. Why didn't she just tell me what the problem was! She always did that, witty banter, then bam. I hung the phone back up and looked around the kitchen. I didn't know what type of demons they were so I was going to need a good vanquishing potion. Nicklas caught my attention. "I will be right back. I really want to finish this conversation, would you please stay?"

He looked confused, but not mad. "Is everything alright?"

I shook my head, "Don't know. Madison thinks she's found a few demons."

He stood. I walked past him and out toward the hall closet again. He was right behind me, "Do you know what kind of demons they are?"

I grabbed my black pea coat and turned to start walking toward my altar room. "No, but It doesn't matter." I concentrated on the altar room doors and they opened. I headed into the room and back to the corner where I kept the potions. I picked up four all- purpose ones, shoved them into my pockets and headed back out of the room. Since the day I met Nicklas and asked for his help, I have been working on never needing help with vanquishes. I made and tried a lot of vanquishing potions. They all worked, so I combined them to form a few all-purpose ones. Nicklas was standing just outside of the doors. "I will be back shortly. Will you still be here?"

He nodded, "Yes."

I thought briefly if I would need anything else. When I was sure I was set I closed my eyes and opened my mind to find Madison. When I was completely focused on her I teleported myself to the women's washroom. Good no one was in here. I walked to the door, exited and walked out into the bar to find Madison. I saw her before she saw me. She was sitting in a corner booth with her feet up on the table, just relaxing and enjoying the bar scene. I envied her for that. She could just watch the world and not get involved. I walked up to the booth and slid in next to her. "So to which three do I owe the honor of my company?"

She laughed and tucked her legs under the table. "You look like shit."

I laughed, she could see right through me. "Nicklas is at my house."

She sat straight up, "Really! Did you invite him over?"

I looked at her with the most disgusted face I could muster, but it didn't work. "He was there when I returned. He needs to talk to me."

She shook her head and placed it in her hands. "You two just need to get over what ever is wrong and get back together."

I really wasn't in the mood to talk right now, but with Madison I always did. "It's not that easy. The more I think about it, the more I doubt myself and I think that might be why. I just don't trust myself around him."

She turned and looked right at me. Sometimes her stare was so intense, that I knew what she was about to say meant more to her than she could instill with just words. "There is nothing worse than finding the one man who completes you and then throwing him away. It is obvious how you feel about each other and I don't want you to use the 'He's a vampire' line. It doesn't matter. He is good to you and that is all that matters. Besides he's crazy about you." She was right, but I wasn't ready to admit that to myself yet. Besides I haven't even reached the part where I get to push him out of my life.

"How do you know how he feels? He's never told me anything."

A huge grin started on her face, "He called me last week, to see how you were. He heard about the Banshee almost killing you and he was concerned."

I was sure my face dropped, "He called you and you didn't tell me!"

Her grin grew. "He asked me not to. Now don't get mad at me, cause that wouldn't be why you were really mad. You care about him too." She had me there.

I sighed and put my arms out on the table. "I do care for him. I just don't trust myself around him. I feel like I can't be me, plus it doesn't help that he is on the opposing team." She started laughing. I was puzzled, "What is so funny?"

"It didn't seem to bother you much when you slept with him and then continued to." I could feel the embarrassment start to creep up my face. She was so forward sometimes. "No. I suppose I didn't, but that doesn't mean I wasn't feeling confused. My powers always run amuck when I'm near him."

She smacked the table, "Well then! I never want to be in your bedroom!"

I couldn't help laughing. The bartender rang the bell for last call and that's when it all started. I felt them instantly. I turned and looked toward the far end of the bar by the entrance and found myself looking at three fire starters. Not too high on the demon chart, but brutal nonetheless. This would be an easy vanquish if I could stop them from harming any of the mortals in the room. Now was the time when I wish I had the gun.

The three of them started by harassing Punk, then they moved on to anyone at the bar who wouldn't give them what they wanted.

"Here's my cue." I looked at Madison, she smiled and I slid out of the booth. I could stop time in here, but I didn't want to risk someone from the outside coming in and seeing what I was doing. So my only other option was to get them outside. I slowly made my way up to them and they sensed me.

Each of them turned slowly, stood together and the middle one spoke. "So, here to deal with us are you?"

I smiled at him, "I would prefer to take care of this outside."

Punk looked at me, "Alexis, what are you doing?"

I turned toward him, "I'll be okay, and I'm just going to get them outside."

He nodded and I turned back to my current situation. "You want to go outside? Fine, let's go. Ladies first." Awe he had manners.

"Thanks, but no thanks. I'll follow you."

The three of them turned, headed out the door and I followed. In the parking lot I made sure there was no one around. Nada. One of the demons got a little anxious and turned launching a fireball at me. I threw up a shield, deflecting it and knelt. The other two, realizing what he had just done turned and followed suit. Two more fire balls and I was already bored. I dropped my shield and concentrated on them, flicked my hands and they froze. I was starting to get control of that power. It didn't last long, but by God it worked. I quickly pulled the bottles out of my pockets and launched one at each of them. They combusted into flames of their own and disintegrated. Mark three for the good team. I turned and walked back into the bar to say goodnight to Madison. I walked past the inquisitive stare of Punk and back to the corner booth.

"So?" She wanted details.

"Nothing exciting. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Yoga?"

She sat up, "Sure."

I hugged her, slid out of the booth and headed back to the washroom. When I was sure no one else was in here I teleported myself back to my entrance hall and closet. I took off my coat and headed back into the kitchen. Sure enough Nicklas was sitting on the same stool. He turned when I entered. I walked back around the island grabbing my mug.

"Was she correct?"

I grabbed some more tealeaves and threw them into the pot. "She was."

He sighed as I poured more water into the pot. "I realize that we are not on good terms at the moment, but we used to be able to at least talk."

I put down the pot and looked up at him. I had been short with him and it hadn't been necessary. "I'm sorry. She was right. There were three fire starters."

He stood, "Were?"

He looked upset the comment and I was instantly defensive. "Yes, were. As in I vanquished them."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "Why were they there?"

I put down the teapot and put my hands on my hips. I was officially in defensive/agitated mode. "Well I didn't buy them a drink."

He kept his arms where they were, but started to project his power out. This was going to be one hell of an argument and I wasn't even sure why we were fighting. "Where they hurting anyone? Or have you just started to vanquish who ever you want."

Oh boy. He hit just the right button. I started to walk around the island to confront him and continue this little tiff when I felt the chill run down my spine. Oh no, the pain was next. I was getting a vision. I grabbed the counter with both hands and held on for dear life. Searing heat shot up through my spine and the vision started. Flashes of the shoreline entered my mind. There was a man, dressed like a fisherman, heading out on his dock to where he had his boat. I could smell the salty air and feel the sun's warmth starting over the horizon. I concentrated on the boat. The Miss Purdy. All of a sudden bubbles started to appear in the water and the fisherman walked over to take a peak. A lady came up out of the water and with her trident stabbed the fisherman in the chest and took his energy. I could feel his pain and the taste of blood was in my mouth. The vision ended and I looked down at my chest. There were three crimson circles starting to form. Shit.

Nicklas was still sitting on the stool and was up as soon as he smelt the blood. "Alexis?" It was hard to draw a breath and blood was filling my lungs.

I fell to my knees and lay down on my back. Nicklas was on his knees at my side and trying to help, by putting pressure on the wounds. My head was getting fuzzy and I knew I only had a few moments before I would pass out. I closed my eyes and focused inward creating a blue light deep within me. I held the light in my chest and let it slowly work it's way to the surface. As soon as I felt I had all that I could hold, I pushed the light out of my body.

My mind slowly started to clear, the wounds were healed and I could breathe again. I opened my eyes and looked toward the patio doors. In my vision, the sun was just rising. I still had some time, but first I needed to look in my demon books to find out what it was I was up against. I stood and started to walk to the library.

Nicklas caught my arm. "Alexis. What just happened to you?"

I turned to face him, pulling my arm back as I did. "I must have tried to use my empathy during the vision." The moment I said it he knew it wasn't true. I never used my powers during visions. I never had to. I was shown everything I needed to see. I wonder what did happen, but no time! I have a man to save.

"Alexis, this has never happened to you before." He tried to block my way and was trying to be sympathetic but he was irritating me. Besides, I was still irritated with him for the argument that we were now going to have to finish later.

"How would you know? We haven't seen each other in three weeks!" I regretted it the moment I said it, but I couldn't take it back. I had hit the only nerve he had.

He was pissed. "That wasn't my choice. You are the one that left." He backed up and turned to walk out the back door. I turned, wanting to stop him but I had work to do. I let him go and headed toward the library to find out exactly what I was up against.

12