Lilith's Reverie Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Really?" Lilith asked, genuinely surprised. It had never been her place to speak with the other Maehirym about their powers. Just last week, she'd been a normal sister, far outside their social circle. It was comforting to know that even Eawynn had struggled in the beginning.

"Honestly, Sir, I'm not even sure what I did," she admitted, as she scratched her head and looked around.

"Yet you succeeded anyway. You just *put* yourself here. I'm very proud of you, sweetling. This is proving, yet again, that my faith in humanity is well-founded. Look at how far we've come in a few short centuries. Standing before me is a human who used her own intuition to successfully relocate herself transdimensionally, only four days after her Rite of Rebirth. Remarkable. I have a working theory: psionic relocation becomes possible for humans who accept its ambiguity, its uncertainty. I have no doubt that, soon, it'll be as easy for you as blinking. You're going to get through this. You're doing fine, Lily, more than fine."

"Thank you, Sir. I'm sorry to have kept You waiting these past few days. This has been so much to process. Thank you for allowing me this time."

"Of course, dear. This would be a lot on anyone's shoulders." He said. "However, we are both in agreement that our work starts now, yes?"

"Yes, Master." Lilith confirmed dutifully. "I am ready for the journey, but I do not know the way."

"Good," the Emperor nodded cheerfully, cracking His knuckles. "Because that's what I'm here for."

"In about eight seconds, you'll begin your journey by entertaining our guests."

"Our... guests?" Lilith asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Yes," He said, crossing His arms and turning to the room's entrance. As if on cue, Lilith heard a sharp knock.

The Emperor winked at her. "Right on time. Task number one. Your first audience as Principia Prima."

"Who is it?" she asked Him in a pleading whisper, as she made her way to the door.

"Your daughters, Pia and Eva. It's time you told them."

Lilith froze.

Oh, shit.

Pia... and Eva? They're both here? Together? Now?

This will not be pleasant. Pia is probably still upset that I disappeared hours after they received their Piercing gems. Master accepted ownership of them, what? Five days ago? So much else has happened since then it feels like weeks ago. How was I supposed to know they would both separately submit themselves to Him on the *exact* same day? What are the bloody chances of that?

And how was I supposed to know that Master and I would have a breakthrough only hours later? I know the girls are twins, but they're so dissimilar. As far as I know, they hardly see each other anymore. I assumed at least Eva would need more time...

Wait, no.

This doesn't have to be bad! They belong to Master now too. We have more in common now than ever. The three of us need only obey our Father, and He will sort out the rest.

Then it dawned on her. Of course He brought them here! He wants to discuss our new bloodline. I should've seen that immediately!

Pia and Eva were Lilith's two eldest children, identical twin girls. In the Sisterhood, if one's first pregnancy yielded twins, it was considered highly propitious - and if it were twin daughters, that was considered the luckiest outcome of all. The new mother was an immediate topic of gossip, because among the Maehirym, or rather, women one day capable of joining the Maehirym, the Sisterhood noticed a propensity for birthing female twins right away.

The day Lilith gave birth to Pia and Eva was the first day she seriously considered the possibility of ascension. Before that, it had been a daydream, one common among the younger Ilumina sisters. That was almost nineteen years ago. In the intervening years, the Emperor had blessed her womb with seed to birth four robust baby boys. They were all currently at Sanctum, since the palace complex also functioned as the boarding school for Khord'han princes.

Motherhood, after giving birth, was a peculiar thing for sisters of the Ilumina Stae'ada. Some took to it naturally, happy to offer maternal wisdom and guidance to their children whenever their paths crossed. Others even maintained long-term, close relationships with their offspring. However, this wasn't the norm. Ilumina sisters already knew their children would lack for nothing. The sisters also knew their calling was to serve the Everspark with as few distractions as possible. Concerning children, there were three central questions for those in the Sisterhood.

How many babies have I been blessed with?

How many of those children are female?

How many of those female children are in the Sisterhood?

The answers to those questions factored heavily in where a sister found herself in the pecking order.

Ultimately, Lilith never saw the point of worrying about her sons. They'd be raised by expert caretakers, while having access to unparalleled medical technology, education, exposure to culture and art, psionic training, and professional mentorship. If Lilith had daughters unclaimed by the Sisterhood, she would have felt the same about them too.

They simply don't need me right now. Besides, Master watches over them at Sanctum. No harm can come to them there, and He will ensure they grow into manlings worthy of being princes. I will get to know them after their schooling, when it comes time to consider their betrothals so that our bloodline is well positioned.

However, mothers and daughters who found themselves together in the Ilumina Stae'ada could develop more complicated relationships. Such was the case with Lilith and her twins.

Eva came into the world first. Unfortunately, Lilith saw early on that their personalities clashed. Eva grew into a selfish child with behavioral issues and a mean streak. She started giving her tutors grief right away and never stopped. Lilith had attempted to take a guiding role in her daughter's life, but she'd been rebuffed every time.

As a teenager, the girl became absolutely impossible. For years, quarreling was our only form of communication. She'd already become a menace to the other girls on Maer'Eyja, and I had grown so tired of it. At some point, I realized just how little she cared about her obligations to the Sisterhood. It was during a fight when she called me an "uptight cunt." I called her a "spoiled brat undeserving of the Gift," and that was the last time we spoke. Since then, we've avoided each other.

That happened seven months ago.

Pia came into the world second, and she'd been a model child. Where Eva was tempestuous and rebellious, Pia was timid, prim, and proper. She devoured her schooling with breathless enthusiasm. She was utterly devoted to her mother, but in a way that Lilith found strangely off-putting. She pestered Lilith endlessly about doctrine, research, and her opinions on every facet of life in the Sisterhood, until Lilith became fed up, and finally established boundaries with her.

Pia means well, and she actually understands the blessing of being an Ilumina sister, but she's too clingy and unimaginative. And that shyness of hers has proven an obstacle more than once. Two daughters with opposite problems, just my luck.

The Emperor was still patiently waiting for Lilith, observing her closely.

She walked to the door, took a deep breath, and opened it.

Standing before her was one of her bare-headed daughters. Like all sisterlings, she would remain bald until birthing at least two daughters of her own for the Everspark. Only then would the hair on her scalp grow in. Until then, she would be naked and exposed under her Master's eye.

It took barely an instant to discern which daughter was standing before her. The ornate, feminine clothing (looking slightly out of place) gave it away.

Pia, of course. She even tries to dress like me. Aetheria help this girl.

Pia regarded her blankly at first, with a bewildered expression that transformed into complete astonishment.

"Mother?!" Pia exclaimed, with eyes as big as saucers. Her voice lowered to an awed whisper. "By our Lord and Master," she genuflected, "I knew it. I didn't know when, but I knew you'd do it eventually..."

Lilith then realized why Pia was so rattled.

I must look young enough to be her sister. No wonder she's shocked. We could be the same age. Goodness, we even look alike. I've worn my hair differently over the years, but my brush cut makes the resemblance even more uncanny. We might as well be identical triplets now.

Lilith steeled herself and responded stiffly, "Hello, Pia. I see you're alone - how unsurprising. Come inside."

Pia followed her into the chamber, and Lilith realized that she wasn't reacting to their Master's presence. He must have hidden Himself from her. Pia thinks we're alone.

Lilith snuck a quick glance at Him, still leaning against the desk. He arched His eyebrows at her meaningfully and nodded toward Pia. She took His hint.

*SIGH*

"Pia, dear," Lilith began slowly, "I feel I should apologize for not reaching out the moment I heard our Father accepted you." She rubbed Pia's shoulder gently. "I'm sorry. Congratulations on receiving your gemstone, daughter of mine. Well done. Please forgive my absence. Honestly, I'm so happy to know that He's now your Master too."

Lilith could see that she'd touched a nerve. It was growing more commonplace for mothers in the Sisterhood to celebrate their daughters when their Father took ownership of them. The first thing Pia did after her ceremony was reach out to her mother, but Lilith was, unexpectedly, nowhere to be found.

Genuinely surprised and moved by her mother's rare apology, Pia could only look down nervously and nod.

Lilith forged ahead, "Needless to say, some things came up. There's much for us to discuss."

"The Rite of Rebirth," Pia interjected excitedly, with wonder in her voice, "It worked, didn't it?"

"Yes. By our Master's will, it worked."

"And you're... a Maehirym now? That's why you look different. Why aren't you in Revelation right now? Will there be a coronation announced? Are you leaving Maer'Eyja?"

"Relax, Pia. Breathe. Yes, I have joined the Maehirym. But no, there will be no coronation. After the Rite succeeded, I asked to be named Felicity's successor, may she rest in peace. That's why we're here. Our Master has named me the new Principia Prima."

As soon as Pia comprehended her mother's words, she fell to one knee, grabbed Lilith's hand, and piously declared, "Principia Prima, I swear to uphold your leadership and seek your noble wisdom. I beg of you, accept me into your holy service so by your example I may better learn obedience."

Before Lilith could open her mouth to shut down this little display, she heard her Master make a *Psssst* noise only she could hear.

She peeked over at Him, begging with her eyes to be saved from this conversation, but He simply said, "I command you to grant Pia's request."

What?! Accept her into my service? She may be eighteen now with her own Piercing gem, but she's hardly more than a child. What is Master playing at?

Ughhhhhhh

Lilith took a deep breath and steadied herself. She remembered that her Father always knew best. She would follow Him anywhere, even if it meant having her overly shy, nerdy progeny following her around like a lost puppy.

She relented, realizing that her daughter would find this out of character. "As Principia Prima of the Ilumina Stae'ada, I hereby accept you, Pia Lilithsdottir Khord'ha, into my service, as one of my handmaids here in the Aerie."

It took Pia a moment to absorb what she'd just heard. Speechless, she looked up at her mother, overwhelmed with emotion. Lilith could see tears forming in her eyes.

Well, I suppose I did completely change the course of her life. No matter what her life was yesterday, today I made it very different, forever.

Finally finding the words, Pia spoke softly, with a quivering voice. "Mum... all I've ever wanted is to make you proud. I don't know what changed your mind about me, but thank you for giving me this chance."

Peering down at her daughter, Lilith felt her heart soften. She studied Pia anew, with a curious expression.

Just look at her. She really means that.

And she said all that believing I'd deny her that chance, assuming I would send her away.

Lilith's mother was barely more than an acquaintance to her. They might exchange a rare message now and again, or share lunch once or twice a year, but that was the extent of it. Perhaps that was why Lilith never cultivated the skills to build a relationship like the one Pia seemed so desperate for.

Oh no, have I been missing something here? Have I misjudged the girl?

Suddenly feeling emotions she didn't recognize, Lilith turned to her Master again. What she saw wasn't the chiseled face of an Emperor born to dominate, but the kind eyes of her guardian and teacher, the one who knew her better than anyone else in the universe, better than she knew herself.

He spoke quietly and earnestly, "I love you, Lily. Water these roots, and something beautiful will bloom. I promise."

All Lilith could do was swallow the lump in her throat and nod.

Another knock on the door jolted them out of the moment.

"That'll be Eva." He sighed. "You have your first handmaid, sweetling. Send her to receive the problem child."

Lilith spoke, suddenly tired, waving her hand as she turned to gaze out the window to the sea. "Pia, please retrieve your sister."

She rose with a few sniffles, wiped her eyes, and looked at the door. "That's Eva? Wow, she's going to freak when she sees you."

Lilith couldn't help smiling to herself, enjoying her daughter's unexpected candor.

"Indeed. Let's get on with it."

Before Pia could reach the door, there was a second, more impatient, pounding. As she opened the door, she came face to face with her identical twin sister.

Despite their physical similarity, rarely could two women be more different. Friends used to tell Pia they could tell them apart by a hard-to-specify look in their eyes. Pia could see that difference now, looking at her sister Eva. She saw herself, only darker and more overcome with pain, or with embarrassment because life seems so much harder than what everyone else is pretending it to be.

"Pia? The fuck are you doing here?" Eva demanded, looking annoyed and frazzled. "I'm late for something. I have no idea what I'm late for, but I'm here, so move."

She barged past Pia into the room, wearing dirty boots, unflattering pants, and a baggy sweater, with the same bald head. She only saw Lilith's figure, facing away from her, looking out the window.

"Who the hell is this?" She asked Pia, jerking her thumb toward Lilith. "I was hoping Master would be here so we could fuck again."

Lilith turned to face her daughter, and valiantly tried to hide her satisfaction as she watched Eva's confusion set in. Her eyes darted back to Pia, to make sure it wasn't a trick. Eva then studied her a few moments longer, and Lilith could see the recognition appear in her eyes.

"What? ...You, I... No way. No fucking way." Eva stammered out.

Surprise, bitch.

"Good to see you too, Eva." Lilith said flatly.

The words flew out of Eva's mouth before she could catch them.

"I can't believe He chose you."

Her statement hung in the air, poisoning it. Pia stared at her sister, aghast.

Lilith only closed her eyes in distaste, and responded with words that cracked like a whip, "The list of things you don't believe must be quite long at this point, Eva *Lilithsdottir*. Perhaps that's why I'm up here and you're not. I'm your Ancestral Mother now, girl. Don't ever be stupid enough to speak to me like that again."

Pia then stared at her mother, aghast.

"Lilith!" Her Master flared angrily. "Turn it down." He said, rotating His hand like it was holding a dial. "Eva will be shown the error of her ways shortly. In the meantime, compose yourself."

"There!" Eva pointed at her mother. "See, Pia! That's exactly what I'm talking about."

"Eva!" Lilith barked, only to remember the countless times she barked it in the past. "This is not why we're here!"

"Oh really?! Then why are we here, *mother*, do you even know?" Eva spat.

"Enough!" The Emperor boomed, His voice causing both girls' heads to whip in His direction as He became visible to them.

Pia gasped and genuflected while dropping to her knees. Eva, stepping back, went pale and stock-still. Pia began studying the floor, while Eva stared hard at Him, wordlessly begging that He return her gaze.

The Emperor gestured between His three daughters with a flick of His wrist, "Whatever 'this' is, it will not continue. Absolutely not." The irritation was plain in His voice.

He began to pace between them.

Eva stood rooted in place. "Please," she said frantically, trying to catch His eye while wringing her hands, "I've been good today, Sir. Just one, please?"

The Emperor pinched together His thumb and index finger, employing the universally recognized gesture meaning "shut the fuck up."

"All three of you, listen very carefully to me," He said severely. "I will not have my newest bloodline act like they're cats trapped in a barrel together. I brought all of you here to deliberate the future, but now I see that won't be possible, because this room is too full of the past."

He continued to pace.

"It seems each of you need a firmer hand. I will oblige you, because I am your Master. You will obey, and keep obeying, even after you pause to wonder at the bridges I have generously mended. And later, when you're on your knees expressing your gratitude, I will accept it as the least of my due."

"First, Pia." He said, stopping to address her directly. "This day did not unfold as you imagined it. Your mother has given you a tremendous opportunity, so you will be satisfied with that and return home."

"Tomorrow, begin preparations to move into the Aerie. You will be needed here. However, tonight, you will continue your pleasure exercises and add thirty minutes to your final session. While doing so, you will reflect on Sister Lucinda's last monologue on forcefulness. A Principia Prima has no use for weak servants or weak daughters. If I believe you are apprehending its wisdom, I will visit you before bed. Am I being clear?"

Pia nodded vehemently, her face full of determination.

He walked over to Pia, His expression softening, and helped her to her feet. "Good. That makes me happy." He kissed her on the cheek, causing her to blush. "Now go, and if you're very good, I'll bring a dram of that single malt you wanted to compare to the '29." He gave her a knowing look and sent her off.

Master and Pia talk about... whiskey? I didn't see that coming.

Before Pia closed the door behind her, she curtsied to Lilith, saying, "Goodnight, Mistress."

With that settled, the Everspark turned menacingly to Lilith and Eva.

"Now, what in the hell am I going to do with you?" He began to stroke His chin while shifting His gaze from Lilith to Eva and back again.

While He considered them, Lilith snuck a glance at Eva, silently enjoying the chastened look of fear on her daughter's face. She's never seen Him like this. There's plenty you don't know yet, girl.

The Emperor formulated a plan to navigate the overgrown maze of conflict that separated His two beautiful daughters.

Then He smirked to Himself. "Oh yes... that'll do nicely."

"You," He said, snapping His finger at Lilith, "Check that ego before I check it for you. Felicity served me faithfully for years in this very room. She was beloved because she brought peace to the hearts of many - all without being a Maehirym." He gestured to the room around them. "What happens here at Miskelis reverberates through the Empire, even through those unaware of its influence. The shoes you must fill are larger than you think. Do not dare to forget it."