All Comments on 'Liv's Texan Experience'

by MissRoberta

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
ccitydudeccitydude4 months ago

I like your story. Nice touch with poem at the end. One tiny criticism, though. Your story was a paeon to acceptance and understanding. Liv's group being a "club" of high school rejects was simply lovely. Birds of a feather and all that. Mom was understanding and even a little encouraging. All great stuff. And then out of nowhere a paragraph or two about local homophobia. I know it's real but in this case it stuck out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, great stuff. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

A few things come to mind. First, is English your second language? I only ask because you used the wrong preposition about half a dozen times and your syntax ranged from verbose to choppy. Plus, words that should have been there were missing.

Second, if Olivia grew up in Texas, then I am the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Texans don’t drink soda. In the South, all soft drinks are Coke. If they drink something else, it’s Dr Pepper, a Texas original.

Third, your geography is off. I’m trying to figure out what part of Texas you’re using as a setting, and I’m stumped. Five hours from a major Texas city would put you closer to a midsize city with an airport. The only solution would be flying into El Paso and driving northeast. A little more research would have solved some of these problems.

metroalmametroalma4 months ago

Yep, the story is "I'll have a Coke" "What kind of Coke?" "Pepsi?" "Got it." Of course it could be an R&C cola, but that's a whole other Southern thang.

Not sure if Mom didn't hire Ash with a purpose to get Olivia back from the evil big city!

Nice story even with the geographical problems.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Hail Metro,

RC Cola, Royal Crown Cola, is half of another Southern delicacy—RC and a Moon Pie. For the uninitiated, a Moon Pie is a proto-s’more. Two cookies, about three inches across, sandwiching marshmallow and dunked in either chocolate or vanilla. The combination is good if freshly delivered. If they sit on the shelf too long, rubbery is being kind. I went to a Halloween party in Nashville where a couple dressed up as an RC a Moon Pie and easily won the costume contest.

Nicole2023Nicole20234 months ago

I’m in the south and all soft drinks are not cokes.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Super hot and well written in my mind. I don't think that the fact if you used soda or coke has any serious meaning on the story - its a bit of a exaggeration in the comments i do belive

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous