Loathe to Love Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Penelope."

I flinched and spun around, realizing with sudden embarrassment that I'd failed to wreak a single ounce of havoc.

"What are you doing?" Natalia's voice was just a note harsher than her normal, reserved tone.

"Um." I'd come without a plan or even a cover story. Barring those, I went with the worst option possible: I told the truth. "I was bored." A blush spread across my cheeks as soon as the words left my mouth.

Natalia pinched the bridge of her nose. "And so you broke into my room."

"Yes?" My gaze darted around the room as I whined nervously. "You don't even have anything worth stealing. We're not on campaign, you know. Luxuries are allowed."

"You threw my luxuries out of the window."

My response was near instant, tongue flashing across my lips playfully. "You're a princess consort—you should have demanded more." I relaxed slightly; banter was far easier than having to explain myself. "Having a separate bedroom during our honeymoon is already improper enough. Just imagine the gossip!"

Natalia forcefully relaxed her shoulders and strode past me to her desk. "Would there be any point in me asking you not to break in?"

She reached for the broken dagger on the desk, but I leaned over to quickly snatch it away. "I'm afraid not, sweetie," I smirked, getting in her face. "If you thought you could hide from me, then you were wrong."

"Hide from you? You told me to stay away!" Natalia huffed in annoyance, the warm breath caressing my cheek. Her deep pink lips quivered slightly.

I started idly cleaning my nails with the dagger's tip, not looking at Natalia. Because I knew it would piss her off. "I'm a horribly fickle thing, aren't I? The courtiers must have been right when they called you the martyr bride."

"No," Natalia stated bluntly. An internal struggle was playing out across her face. "I don't believe that. I think...I think you want to spend time with me."

I tried laughing off the accusation, but my chuckle came out a few octaves higher than intended. My arms crossed in front of my chest. "You must think awfully highly of yourself."

Natalia shook her head excitedly, her curls bouncing slightly with the motion. "Penelope, you've been following me around the past two days. You told Edmund to bring me here, and didn't even touch anything until I'd arrived."

I blinked. "Who?"

"The servant. His name is Edmund."

"Oh. Whatever."

Emboldened by her realization, Natalia pressed on. "If you want to spend time with me, Penelope, then why don't you just ask?"

I unconsciously backed up a few steps into the corner. She was accusing me of misleading her; I had to deflect or else I'd get in trouble. "Why would I want to spend time with you?"

Natalia went silent and still very suddenly, disappointment written large across her face. She cleared her throat. "Ah. Then it appears I misunderstood. Sorry, I...I got carried away. I'll leave you be, just...don't break anything. Please."

She turned to leave the room.

Shit. That was right—Natalia didn't do 'trouble.' She just had all of these feelings that, for whatever reason, I cared about and that made my chest ache every time I thought I'd hurt her. If she was playing me, she was an absolute expert. If not...I couldn't end the conversation like this. I had to speak up, or else I'd be far too upset with myself.

"I didn't ask because when I do, people always say no!" I blurted out just as she reached the doorway.

Natalia paused and looked back at me. Glimpses of excitement and relief were briefly visible deep within her brown eyes. The tiniest thrill went down my spine at the sight.

"Try me," she advised. "Maybe you'll get lucky this time."

I drew in a shuddering breath—the brief conversation had already drained me. That seemed to be a running theme with Natalia. "Ah...would you care to spend the afternoon together?" I put the dagger down and offered a thin, pale hand tentatively.

Natalia's calloused, warm hand grasped it. "I'd like nothing more."

12