Lola's Lurching Life Ch. 03 - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Either looking at bottles of your wine on a shelf of even holding a bottle of your wine and reading the label."

"Yes, and...?"

Lola kept grinning at him inanely.

Cooper's frown turned into a grin and he spluttered, "Cooper you clown, they'll automatically know through their preamble that they are looking at bottles of Nola somebody's wine from Waiheke Island or even holding a bottle of the said wine. Brilliant providing it meets the industry's minimum standards rules and I think it will as there will be precise information on the rear label on bottles and eventually, regular browsers as well occasional buyers know that Lola means Lola Hunt, grape grower of Waiheke Island."

"Whoopee, fancy me coming to that realisation in my current pathetic mental state"

"Indeed," Lola laughed lightly, taking his hand and squeezing it affectionately.

"I can virtually hear your thoughts turning over," Cooper said. "Out with it."

Lola took him by the arm and said. "These rows that we are walking through are Viognier grapes. I was thinking that you are already calmer than when you arrived and I thought if you concentrate calmly on everything around you and continue to interface with Todd and myself, thatyou could be back at the helm of your businesses in about two months, perhaps a little sooner. Temper tantrums and anything else that upset your tranquillity are no-noes."

"What are they, Cooper?"

"A no-no of everything to achieve tranquility and harmonising with nature and recognition that your kindness will restore me," he said, leaving Lola gaping for almost a minute.

"And that will include the selective people that I'll introduce you to. You'll meet the first two on Sunday when we lunch at the nearby winery, one of the largest on the island, with the two founders, Rudi and Margherita Nevada. He's a big mouth and big personality and his wife is the exact opposite and I believe she may relate to you rather well as she, too. experiences some mental turmoils."

"I look forward to that."

As Lola was hoping, that lunch went exceedingly well. Margherita and Cooper getting along beautifully, she being immediately impressed that the visitor could converse at times in better that average tourist-quality Italian. He'd been to Italy during several summers with his family when young.

That left Rudi and Lola chatting, which suited them.

"How are you finding working as a labourer in the winery?"

"Rather boring but I'm picking up uknowledge about blending."

Rudi sighed and said that's why she was there.

The other couple were laughing, much to Rudi's surprised as if finding for the first time that his wife could laugh. Or perhaps she rarely laughed unless in conversation with females?

Rudi whispered to Lola, "This bloke Cooper staying with you, has he money to invest?"

"I have no idea. Why don't you ask him?"

"Um, he's a big shot and will want his advisers present."

Lola said that Cooper did everything off the seat of his pants, that he believed professional advisers were professional parasites.

"What's his preferred pants to wear for his business decisions"

"What. Oh," Lola said, supressing laughter. "Before he leaves this evening, chose a day and time when you will call over in a golf cart to take him on a tour of everything here, starting the vineyards tour with Rolling Hills. Collect him in a two-set cart to avoid having his minder accompany you two so you can chat intimately with Cooper about investment opportunities or whatever you have in mind."

"Thank you, Lola. You are a great lady with a great brain."

"Oh, Rudi, you are so complimentary," Lola whispered, not wanting his wife to think Rudi was flirting, or worse, suspicious that he wasn't obviously flirting.

Well, wives preferred it when their husband's act consistently when talking to other women, didn't they?

"Lovely couple," Cooper said as they got into the car later. He promptly fell asleep although he hadn't drunk wine, with Lola pleased that apparently, he was relaxed to drop off to sleep like that.

During the short drive home Cooper twice said during his sleep, "She placed a hand high above my knee."

Lola was shocked.

Who, when? Not Margherita, surely not!

After Todd left when Lola arrived home late Wednesday afternoon, she asked Cooper, "How did the buggy ride with Rudi go?"

"I found it interesting and tiring. I slept for about 1½ hours when back home. I told Todd to go, that I would be okay by myself but he said no way as he didn't want you kicking his arse. You never are that cruel to Todd, are you?"

"No, never. Perhaps you could consider offering him a job."

"I already have that in mind and will contact him when I return home."

"That's excellent. Where do you live these days?"

"I lease a failed-to-sell penthouse apartment at Mission Bay with three more years of the lease to run."

"Ooh, nice address. How did the tour with Rudi go?"

"It was good. He quizzed me about in investing in his company."

"It's actually a public company listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange."

Lola said, "Yes, he did indicate his motive to me but I allowed that to continue because when did you ever want to not at least hear about investment opportunities at the top end of the market?"

"Ah, I had hoped that was the reason for you placing me in the hands of that shark."

"That's why I asked you how did it go, because I wishd to check any deal he was proposing to do with you."

"Well, you're too late. I'm giving him $20,000 as a mark of good faith to investigate a proposal he has suggested to me. Um, I can't remember the name of the people. Who owns the 170 ha barely viable sheep farm eastwards from your vineyard boundary?"

"Silvia and Peter Brough."

"Ah yes. Rudi has heard from his wife that the Brough's are preparing to put their farm on the market as they have decided to retire to Tauranga. His investment suggestion is that I commission him to get the Brough's permission to have the soils on their land tested for grape-growing, knowing that it was tested years ago and found to be less that even marginal."

"Rudi says that techniques and availability of a wider range of grape varieties over the years have changed perceptions and that land could be productive for grape-growing but yields would not be top of the ladder, of course."

"I see. But I can't understand why Rudi would attempt to interest you in this project."

"He says because it's for you. He's presented his proposal to the board of his company that you be groomed to become his successor but the none of the other board members accepted that because you have no industry qualifications. Rudi said he was boiling mad with that decision and it meant that you now surplus to the company's requirements."

"That fucking jerk, he's never said a word to me about that."

"He's aware of that and was mulling over how to let you down gently when I came along. The board decision was made only three days ago."

"Fuck the company, I'm resigning in the morning."

"Lola, please, listen to me."

Cooper said Rudi has made him promise to say nothing to Lola in the meantime but he was no quite right in the head which is why he'd blathered to her. If she kept her mouth shut, no damage would be done. Lola should remain cool, because wheels were in motion.

Soon she could have 70 ha to at least partly convert progressively into a vineyard on behalf of Cooper, the new owner and, in time, she would have a substantial share-holding if Lola didn't resign and anger Rudi, should the proposal proceed."

"It also means Rudi probably intends offering you a golden handshake to quit the company and not sue him for an alleged breach of promise over becoming a senior executive."

"Christ, Cooper at least you haven't lost any of your craftiness in business plotting."

"Then are you good?"

"Yes, well the proposals could have merit."

"Great, and I will add that I'll negotiate to get my entire $20,000 back if the testing results suggest that potential juice yields from that block of land will be sub-commercially viable taking into account land development costs."

"Seventy hectares, eh? I'd have to employ staff."

"Yes, and if you and I form a partnership over this, we would purchase your vineyard so that the two holdings become one, while retaining their individual vineyard names."

"Did Rudi say if his winery could handle that collective tonnage?"

"He said planned extensions are already being drawn up to accommodate that tonnage expected from the new Rolling Hills vineyard just across from your property and the addition of the tonnage from the new vineyard, should it go ahead, could be handled by reserve capacity built into the currently planned extension."

"Wow, it's best I keep in good with Rudi and continued to curry favour as being his protégé which raises the question why is his company not taking the option on the Brough's farmland."

"I asked him that and he said that the policy of his well-established company was to only buy top of the ladder vineyards or top potential land for development as vineyards."

"Yes, good policy and that allows smaller operators like me with co-investors like you to get their share of the pie in pecking order. It's the classic way that business economics work."

"So, is that a yes in accepting the purchase and development of that farm in principle?"

"Yes, in principle but with some very large questions hanging over the various stages of the proposals, Cooper. In all probability, there could be pockets of land with grape producing potential in various parts of that farm, which would mean running sheep or cattle over the poorer parts of the grassland, but that could be done."

"Did Rudi say what the house on the property is like."

"Yes, he said it's a good quality 3-bedroom weatherboard home built about 10 years ago and is occupied by the farm manager as the Broughs moved to live near Kennedy Point two to three years ago when his knees began playing up with arthritis."

"It would pay us to maintain it as a working farm, should the deal go ahead, and we develop it's grape-growing potential as forecast via soil testing in 4 ha at a time," Lola said happily, ready for the challenge. "But first the soil-testing and then assessment of each step after that."

"Yes Lola, and if the soil tests are disappointing, we dump any thought of buying the land. Alternatively, if the test tests are encouraging, comes the second option that you just mentioned of farming the land and developing it progressively to suit. The first option is if the best areas according to soil tests are all in the vicinity of your present boundary, is for me to advance you a low-interest loan to buy the farm, seek council approval to subdivide that promising area off and quitting the remainder to pay back to reduce some of your loan commitment."

"I'd only be interested in that option for disposal of land included the existing house. It would then be viable as a small intensely-farmed property, such as for milking goats as goat's milk and products made from it are gaining hugely in popularity."

"Good, well time and study will determine which was we go. I understand it takes three years for new vines to produce fruit."

"Yes, to produce some fruit. But it's best to think five years before the wines are really producing a good income stream."

"Oh, that long?"

"Yep, and that's why thorough investigations are necessary as is the need to think long-term."

"Right, that's enough of heavy thinking for both of us for the time-being, Cooper. Tell me what you thinking of Waiheke Island so far. I guess you holidayed here at times with your family."

"Yeah, we had a big motor cruiser and anchored in a series of bays. I can remember..."

Chapter 22

Six weeks later, with Cooper no longer in need of Todd as his minder, he declared that he felt fully recovered.

"I think that perhaps you are," Lola said. "Your confidence has returned markedly in this environment, and you no longer loose in your train of thought and no longer need all of that extra sleep. What do you want to do?"

It was Sunday late morning and Cooper said, "I'd like to head for the ferry wharf now before the afternoon rush of weekend stayers and day-trippers head for home."

"Okay, pack your bag..."

"It's packed."

"Okay, then let's go."

On the drive to Matiatia Bay, Lola said she had enjoyed having him staying with her and was so pleased for Cooper rewarding Todd for being his lowly-paid minder by paving the way for the insurance company that his group of companies have their various insurance covers with had taken Todd to fill the vacancy of deputy manager of its IT (Information Technology) department.

"He was so chuffed when he received the job offer and draft contract that he immediately called to tell me even before contacting his parents."

"Well at least being with you and getting him back into employment were highlights of my time on Waiheke. The low-note was that our to get 70 ha of that farmland for you to manage and become my partner in merging the two properties, came to naught."

"Yes, with the tests coming up with a mere 15 ha of commercial strength land blew our joint dream into oblivion," Lola said. "But at least we tried and I think that exercise helped put your mind back on the right track. You stick to that agreement that we reached that you'll rejig your holding company by appointing a managing director with you retaining direct involvement and at a reduced workload by appointing yourself executive director of the holding company."

"Yes, I'll keep my promise."

Lola nodded in approval and said, "And the other two promises."

"Yes, you spoil-sport. I'll continue to keep my hands off Margherita Nevada and secondly I begin looking for a sweet, and low-profile young woman to move in with me and perhaps eventually we will marry."

"Good."

"And you, dearest Lola, will you continue to believe you'll never marry because you cannot find a man good enough?"

"I didn't say that. I said I have found a man who blends into me well enough and to = come close is Rudi Nevada but he's already married and is twenty-years too old for me. It still could happen, but I'm giving up trying. I'll probably buy books and reading glasses and learn to knit."

"Bullshit. When you gain publicity for producing your own blends of wine from your vineyard with names that include... um what were the two outrageous names?"

"Calling those names outrageous is outrageous in itself. You wait they'll really take off. One will be called Wine For Preggies that will be taste like normal wine but will be alcohol-free and the other alcohol-free wine will be called Wine for Alcoholics."

Laughing, Cooper said, "You know baby, with your audacity and your belief in yourself you just may shake the market and potential buyer with your outrageous vision."

They pulled up at the drop-off parking area and people all around them we calling out "Hi Lola."

"Christ, you know a lot of people here," Cooper said, impressed.

"The truth is, I haven't recognised even one of them," said Lola.

She shrugged when he laughed and said "Bullshit."

They kissed deeply and before walking off, Cooper said, "This is the second time you've assisted to turn my life around for the better. Thanks sweetheart. Oh, I left a pressie for you on my favourite sofa below the dormer windows."

"Oh thanks, what is it?"

"Bye," Cooper said, blowing her a kiss with a teasing smile and was merged into the slow-moving boarding queue.

Lola returned home sorry that Cooper was gone but at the same time pleased she had her small home to herself again.

She made coffee and crossed to the two sofas and saw the brown long envelope on the sofa that both she and Cooper favoured but he had commandeered it over the past nine weeks.

She pulled out what appeared to be a legal document inside the envelope from an Auckland Central law firm addressed to Cooper, and unfolded it in shock.

"Christ!"

The covering letter asked that Mr Cooper get the beneficiary of the land he'd recently purchased and was transferring to, Miss Lola Annie Hunt, to also sign the transfer of title application for approved subdivision of land, described in full on the transfer application.

"What title, what land what the fuck is he doing," Lola yelled, and began reading the transfer application.

She had a roaring develop in her ears as she continued to read that she was being gifted the 15 ha parcel of land in fee simple (absolute ownership) that Cooper Ross Roper had purchased at the boundary of farmland of the Brough Family adjoining Miss Hunt's land known as Lora's of Waiheke (vineyard).

"Omigod. Omigod. Omigod," she repeated, holding her arms over her belly and pressing her weight against them. She knew she was close to losing it.

A few minutes later, she had recovered fully and was now wildly excited, and thought who wouldn't be. Cooper was gifting her land as bare land that had may had to pay $400,000 to $500,000 for, perhaps more, because of its second-tier grape growing potential.

She thought she would accept the gift and would rather not know how much it had cost Cooper to buy, and she called him.

"Hi Cooper, some present."

"Something tells me you were principally involved again in assisting me to get my life back on even keel."

"Thanks, and I must say after the initial shock, I'm now feeling overwhelmed. Come to me if you are ever in similar need again. Meanwhile, find yourself a lovely young and caring woman with no baggage attached and she'll help to hold you steady. Are you almost home?"

"Yeah, in a cab about two kilometres to go."

"Bye for now. Call me to say hi instead of leaving it until you are in trouble."

"Will do. Bye."

Lola sat quietly and thinking that rather cold fish would need a mate with a high tolerance compacity, but woman capable of coping with a dual life to keep themselves sane were around. The restricted and possibly regimented upbringing and coupled with that terrible vehicle accident inflicting shocking injuries upon him, had combined to snuff out any chance of Cooper developing an easy-going character.

"You poor man but who has twice given me unbelievable gifts in gratitude," she sighed.

A couple of weeks after Cooper's departure, Lola took a call from Caroline Burgess and put her feet up on the sofa prepared to a long girly chat about practically nothing. But she discovered it was another cry for help, although not pushed at her like that.

"Hi, I'm very unhappy."

"Oh, Caroline daring, tell me what's upset you?"

"I've been hit be a double whammy. Yesterday I received a lawyer's letter stating that my useless husband is filing for divorce because he has become deeply attached to a new partner, a guy. He wants me out of our house and says his new boyfriend has the money to buy me out as part of the divorce settlement."

"Bugger, and a boyfriend, you said?"

"Yes, in recent years Gavin has become sexually confused with his sexual orientation which is why I haven't had sex with him for about eight years, I reckon."

"How long with the divorce take?"

"I don't know. The legal letter advises me to get in touch with my own lawyer over this, taking the letter with me."

"Are you glad to be getting rid of him, the scumbag? If it had been me, I would have been tempted to cut his dick off and divorce him years ago. When you have arranged an appointment with a lawyer, would you like me to go with you?"

"Oh yes please, that would be lovely. I have to find one first."

"Check around for one on the island who performs well for her clients in divorces or separation cases or even in other aspects of family law."

"A female lawyer?"

"If you wish. That's just me. My doctor, dentist, lawyer and, providing one is available, even my vehicle mechanic - or technician as they call themselves these days - are female."