Lola's Lurching Life Ch. 03 - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Pardon me."

"It means Pretty Damn Quick, Shona. Please say yes and please call me Lola."

"I have two partners on my team and I have to get their agreement so you can be slotted in PDQ - that's a great compressed phrase, Lola. Please hang on and I'll call Alicia and Baylee. They live together in a relationship so this will be quick."

Thirty seconds later Shona said she'd been asked to check that the caller was THE incredible Lola Hunt.

"This is embarrassing, Shona. To me. I'm just me. Yes, I'm learning residents here are calling me all sorts of names including the one you've just used and I wish to be called just Lola."

"Stay with me," said Shona, and Lola heard her say on her mobile phone, "She's 100 percent the genuine Lola. With some adjusting we can fit her in as soon as she gets the permit and signs the contract. Your answers please."

"Thanks babes, bye."

"Three thumbs up for PDQ action, Lola. My partners sound if they can't wait to meet you. Look, it's my turn today to make the school run for the three of us. May I bring the three girls and two boys with me as it will be more efficient. Where will I find you."

"Do you know the Hill family farm on the approach to Stoney Batter?

"Sure do, my mother is Glenys Hills' twin sister."

"Omigod, isn't it a small world, and a very small island community," Lola said, and they laughed.

"I purchased a strip of coastal land from your Aunt and Uncle for grape growing and have just purchased that small cottage at the western end of that land."

"Omigod, you own that vineyard the appeared to spring up virtually overnight."

"Yes."

"How can a person of your social standing bear to live in that dump of a cottage."

"Circumstances, Shona. I ploughing most of my cashing into buying the land, developing up to three quarters of the land within two years and buying the cottage property."

"Omigod, talk about a lady on the move!"

"I'm not asking for charity, Shona. Just good work for a fair price."

"Of course, Lola."

"I have the plans completed for the bathroom additions and all the details required for the permit application. I'd like you to lodge the permit application on my behalf with the knowledge local authorities give priority to applications lodged by builders and trades people and this could save us from several weeks waiting for approval.:

"Good thinking. Since you have done the plans, hopefully to approval requirements, I probably can get our quote back to you within 24 hours. Alicia, who used to work in construction for her father's firm, is a certified builder and that means we could also build the bathroom addition for you and arrange the drainlayer, plumber and electrician."

"Omigod, thanks. I look forward to seeing you at the cottage at 3.30 or thereabout. I actually called four other renovators who advertise on the Web before reaching your ad. They were all too busy to consider me work anytime soon."

"Did you give them your name?"

"Um, come to think of it, no."

"What a shame, it could have made all the difference even if you were talking to males. Your name is pretty big on Waiheke at the moment, Lola. Also lucky for you, I have coached my know-everything daughter Katie to ask for any caller's name wanting to speak to me and she recognized you name instantly, as you probably heard."

"Katie, what a sweet name. Is she about ten?"

"Yes, spot on. Her birthday was two weeks ago and I regard her forward in development."

"As you were," Lola laughed and, giggling, Shona said, "And as you definitely would have been. It appears that you are not a fan of public recognition and I apologise for adding to the pain but people who have spoken to be about you or I overhearing such conversation, appear to believe you are awesome. It's called being gifted, but of course you won't wish to hear that."

"And you are a real charmer, Shona. Bye and I look forward to meeting you and Katie and the other children tomorrow. I have a young man doing casual work for me and he will entertain them, I'm sure, if you approve of that."

"I probably will, in the knowledge you wouldn't bear the thought of having a creep working for you. Bye."

"She sounds amazing, mum, said Katie, coming into the room. "I was listening on the extension. Are creeps bad at every level?"

"Probably not, darling. But who really knows? A good rule is to choose friends around your age who are much like yourself, with similar interests and who usually appear very happy."

* * *

Lola arrived home at the cottage, backing the caravan attached to the Land Rover very slowly down the driveway. It was a near-new luxury caravan designed to particularly suit a retired couple using it as their home while touring for several months around the country or for a couple with the last of their children leaving home to use for long second-honeymoon type holiday breaks.

"Wow, what a beauty," Todd said eyeing the crafted lines of the silver metal caravan as he helped, with hand signals, for Lola to back it parallel almost to the edge of the retaining wall of the grassed area above the slipway where it entered the small inlet of the rugged coastline.

"Perfect," Lola said, wiping her sweaty hands and brow as she stood alongside Todd eyeing her temporary home during renovations to the cottage over the next three to four weeks.

"Come on, visit the interior of my luxury mobile apartment."

"Omigod, it is luxurious," Todd said as he began his inspection. There's only one bed, but it's wide."

"Those two side sofas are designed to be pulled out a little wider to become normal size single beds."

"Wow, and tucked in between the fridge-freeze in a wine storage cooler, and the cabin has air-conditioning. What a brilliant idea of yours to get hire a caravan instead of sleeping on a fold-away bed in the shed."

"Oh, damn, why didn't I think of that," Lola said in mock horror, making Todd grin and he said, I've only seen two rats in the shed so far, and got them both by wielding the shovel."

"Todd, a renovator will arrive about 3.30 to inspect the cottage with me and she'll have her young daughter and four other primary school children with her. Could you look after them here, sitting at the table with you discussing homework with them. Suspect they are telling untruths if they say they don't have any. Tell them you have orange juice and a biscuit for those who have homework and wish to work on it now."

"But that's bribery mixed with adult cunningness."

"So?"

"Well, I...I don't know how to answer that. Um won't the mother be nervous that I'm alone with small children?"

"Possibly not if I say they will be fine with you,"

"Will you give her that assurance?"

"Yes, without hesitation."

"Thanks, and that's yet another example of your mind being ahead of possible upcoming action. How do you manage that so consistently?"

"It just how my mind works; I tend to think ahead more than I think of the past."

Shona arrived with the children in a near-new double cab pick-up.

As Lola was introducing Todd to Shona, the children were making a bee-line to the open door of the caravan,

"Children stop!" Shona called loudly. "Manners please. Come and meet Miss Hunt and her property manager Mr Barnes.

The children trudged back and when Lola said, "You may call me Lola. I own that old cottage and the newly planted vineyard over there and the big boat over there is being renovated. It is owned by a man who wanted it to be pulled from the water to also have its lower outside repaired and cleaned. Do any of you know what the loser outside of a boat, in this case a schooner is called?"

One of the girls broke the silence by saying, "It's called a hull."

"Oh hi, Katie. I recognise your voice from when we spoke briefly on the phone yesterday. Yes, it is called a hull. My Barnes will look after you in the caravan while Katie's mother and I look at what work needs to be done to the cottage to make it like more like the home of a woman, rather than the fisherman who built it many years ago. I have given Mr Barnes a program to follow and that includes a drink and a snack, providing Ms Matthews approves and I highly recommend that she does.

"Yes of course. Follow Mr Barnes children and please behave nicely."

The two women walked around the cottage, inspected the toilet in the shed and Lola pointed out where the septic tank for sewerage and waste water was.

"All that is straightforward," Shona said and the drain layer will have next to nothing to do, just a short trench to hand dig and to break open a small section of concrete around the existing toilet to get access to reconfigure the piping connection to the existing line to the septic tank."

"How long do you expect to retain the cottage as I guess you'll replace it with a house?"

"Five to seven years at the most, or much sooner if I decide to take out a bank loan. I am debt-free at present and so a mortgage on the vineyard land alone should more that cover the house I have in mind. I shall complete a sketch soon and get an architect to look at the site and give me a ballpark estimate and then I can decide on timing."

"One of my partners' mother is the head of a firm of architects in Auckland that has won several awards for both is commercial and domestic buildings and she often comes over with or without her husband to stay a few days with Baylee and family. She could be interested in assisting you, although not necessary to see your proposal through personally."

Oh, thanks. I'll keep you as a contact for that in mind."

"Right, let's see the shit-house interior design that only males would find acceptable."

"I'll be clearing everything, throwing out most stuff and the little I intend to keep will be stored in the shed, leaving just the ceiling, four walls and the flooring to deal with."

"Omigod, you are saying there are no internal sub-divisions?"

"Correct."

"Omigod, this will be piece of cake to renovate but I suggest we get a roofer to inspect the roofing."

As the entered the cottage, Lola took a short phone call.

She said to Shona who was staring thoughtfully at the corner of the room facing the sea, "That was Todd. He said to you the kids are fine. They all said they didn't have homework to do and he said that was a pity because he had orange juice and cupcakes for the kids who were doing their homework. They all are now chewing cake with their homework in front of them."

"My god, few women without children could plan for the arrival of children in that manner. I suppose you bought the cupcakes this morning?"

"Yes, when out checking two places that hire out caravans. Plus a feed of cupcakes for Todd."

"Um, are you he...?"

"No and that his very unlikely and it's unlikely he'll be around here when you begin your contract. Well, do you have anything to report, and yes to the roof and guttering inspection. Then we can join the children and Todd for coffee and cupcakes. I apologise on his behalf for calling the kids."

"That okay. Most males use that term."

"We can discuss in the caravan the wall finishes, having the flooring sanded and re-sealed and whether to do a completed replacement of the crappy ceiling tiles."

"But now, look at that corner facing the sea. What do you think about bearing the cost of having dormer window frames cut into that corner with built in seating and storage cupboard underneath the seating?"

"Marvellous," Lola cried. "I just knew that you after talking to you on the phone would come up with a magical suggestion."

As they walked to the caravan, Lola said, "You dug the answer out of me and now I ask you, do you have anyone to sleep over?"

"Yes, three guys actually, and Katies likes them all."

"What, all three sleep with you at the same time?"

Blushing, Shona said, "One at separate occasions of course; my name is not Lola Hunt."

The laughed and swung into a sweet friendly kiss on the lips.

"I've obtained a dear new friend," said Shona.

"What a coincidence, so have I," Lola smiled. "I suspect Katie will be pleased as I think she's a little like me by nature."

"I'd say more than a little," said Katie's mother.

Chapter 18

Four weeks later, the renovations had been completed a week earlier than originally expected because the permit had been issued five days after the applications had been lodged.

Lola, smiling brightly and with a grateful arm around Shona's waist, and Todd, Baylee and Alicia stood happily, waiting for Lola. who was about to say a few words.

"Ladies and Todd, I thank you for your fine work and expediency in working as a team in giving me a very much upgraded home that is more becoming for me as a nubile young woman living alone and now in great comfort in a much-improved home environment."

"I raise my glass and salute you and please follow my lead. Cheers, and my grateful thanks."

"Lola, it was our pleasure working to please you, because you were so such a wonderful and entertaining client, I honestly saying the most charming client we've ever had. And it's a huge pleasure returning to see the interior so beautiful furnished. We can also enjoy peeing in your new in-house toilet."

There was huge laughter and following gaiety for an hour after the late luncheon before the women left to be at home for the arrival of their school children dropped off by Baylee whose turn it was to make the school 'run' morning and afternoon by vehicle.

Todd was assisting with the clean-up washing the dishes and Lola didn't find it necessary having a dishwater when for ninety-eight percent of the time she had no visitors, said, "I am really pleased that you are seeing Bonnie this coming weekend."

"Yes."

"Do you have her on a promise yet?"

"I don't know what you mean, Lola."

Todd, we are adults and friends. There's no need to be evasive with me. Is having sex with her likely soon?"

"She... she's suggested we do something like that this weekend. I-I think she's rather p-promiscuous."

"Or she simply loves having such a relationship. I hope you care for her manfully this weekend as it might turn out to fully restore confidence in yourself. Treat her with slightly laid-back kindness and affection, my friend, because as an academic, she's like to feel that she's top dog initially."

"I hear your mother stopping at the top of the driveway. Off you go, and thanks," she said, kissing him lightly on the lips. "As promised, I'll talk to Cyril Wells about you tomorrow as a possible replacement for his building supply centre who drowned while out fishing two days ago."

"Much appreciated," Todd said, rushing off because his mother was blasting her car horn.

"Well, this is a much-improved home for me," Lola said aloud, looking about her in great satisfaction. "I must get mum and dad to visit me for look over the vineyard and my cottage and to do a spot of boat fishing with me."

She answered a knock on the open door and saw it was Rudi's brother Ivan.

"Hi, Ivan, come in."

"I'm ready to start fulltime on the schooner from next Monday and brought over the wife to meet you to inspect the boat. Laura, this is Lola Hunt."

"Hi, Laura. I'm pleased to meet you. Call me Lola. I know Rudi very well and am pleased to meet his sister-in-law and I already have met your husband Ivan."

"I hear that you are Rudi's protégé. Is that that polite way of saying mistress?"

"Please sit, guys. Rudi is not superman, Laura. He already has a wife and appears friendly with another woman."

"Caroline."

"Yes. But what they do, if anything, is none of my business. Rudi is my close adviser, Laura, but I assure you that he's never touched me sexually, not that I would allow that to happen anyway. But you saw the new vineyard on your right as you were driven down the driveway?"

"Yes, how could anyone miss seeing it."

"I'm a novice at grape growing, Laura. But how on earth could I spend that huge amount of money to established such a reasonably sized small vineyard so quickly and so orderly without expert counselling from someone like Rudi?"

"Um, I'd say no way, Lola. And I apologise for believing local gossip."

"Thanks for understanding the situation and you may drop in here for coffee and a chat whenever you wish while Ivan and whoever work on completing the refit of the schooner. Who you guys like coffee, wine or both."

The visitors said wine and Laura said demurely, "The other rumour I heard about you is that you are a very engaging young woman, and in my few minutes in your company I say with confidence that rumour is very true."

"Well, we all run hot and cold at times. You can make a considered judgement over time," Lola said, producing a Goldwater red. My guess is you two are red wine drinkers but I do have whites if you prefer."

"Red thanks, Lola," staring at the label intently. "That's a quality vintage Goldwater red."

"It's to celebrate the arrival of my first drop-in visitors to my recently upgraded cottage, and so we drink a top shelf wine. Thanks for visiting, and cheers."

Next day, returning from buying her weekly supplies from the supermarket in Oneroa, Lola and had everything stored away and was thinking about having lunch when someone pulled up in a Volkswagen Caddy van. She went out to greet him.

"Hi, Miss Hunt. I'm Max Logan and greeting you for the first time."

"Well, that's a friendly greeting. Would you care to join me for a light lunch?"

"I've arrived with a couple of king-size chicken rolls on the off-chance that you haven't eaten yet."

"Great, Max. Come in."

She unpacked the rolls and asked, "Coffee?" He said yes, black.

"And want brings you here, Max?"

"I'm a freelance photographer and a portrait painter of some success, meaning sales of my work provide me with a very comfortable living."

"Sorry, I don't pose in the nude or even partly dressed for any artist."

Max choked on his filled roll and Lola said calmly she was just teasing.

"What is it you want?"

"Permission to walk up the clifftop coastline of your property to a small inlet about 250 metres from the top of your slipway. I have learned that trench either starts or finishes in that inlet that and out to sea in rapidly increasing width and depth away from land. Orcas come in very close to the land to feed on stingrays that devour molluscs and crustaceans and other food favourites in the shallows."

"I haven't yet seen that occurring but I have spotted Orcas at times frolicking a little out to sea as well as penguins and seals and whales."

"After eating, hop in the Land Rover and I'll take you along to that spot. I'd like to see it myself. Thereafter, you are free to visit after calling me for renewed permission first."

"That's great, thank you Lola. Fish arrive at any given place to suit themselves and the lighting has to be suitable and in outdoor photography, optimum lighting conditions can change by the minute."

When Max had loaded his variety of camera gear, they entered the vineyard via the gateway near the slip and travelled up in the wide grass strip between the tree shelter belt and the closest line of grape vine plantings.

They saw Orcas way out in the gulf, but sighted six or so stingrays close inshore and Max said, "They probably give birth to their young here, in season. I've read that they are ovoviviparous, meaning the mother keeps the eggs inside her during development and then gives birth to live young."

"You appear to know quite a lot about aqua species and habitats."

"A little, yes. I am an amateur naturalist among other things."

She said slyly, "A naturalist, does that mean you sunbath naked?

Max looked at her very straight expression and asked, "Are you teasing again?"

She sighed and said yes, that she was aware that a naturalist was an expert or student of natural history.

1...34567...12