Lola's Lurching Life Ch. 03 - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks, Leo. I'll bring my friend and my kit with four cans of beer and two bottles of wine up to share with you guys to celebrate the turning of my big wheel for the first time."

Introductions were made and the two guys appeared in awe of Caroline.

Leo carefully described the automatic electronic controls to Lola. All could be operated manually as well including manual-operating over-rides to stop water draw-off by preventing the wheel from rotating but not from being turned by the tail vane into facing the direction of the wind. Meanwhile, Caroline poured herself a glass of red wine and Peter the apprenticed electrician/fitter began drinking beer.

When everything was ready to go, Lola activated the battery-powered electronic controller that engaged the wind-driven wheel and the system began sucking up water through the steel pipe casing laid in the hole drilled deeply and the fresh water stream deep underground.

"Wow, it operates almost silently," trilled Caroline while Lola almost whined, "Leo, there's no sign of water in the observation bowl.

He said look again and Lola squeaked, "Ooh, the chamber is full of water."

And Peter called from the almost fully buried storage tanks at the summit of the hillside, "Water is flooding into Tank One and when that is full will flow into Tank Two and then when full the pumping will automatically stop until tank water begins to be reticulated through the vineyard as required."

* * *

Meryl Barnes finished answering a phone call and said to her unemployed son, "That was your Aunt Caroline. Now think carefully before you blow your top about this job offer. My sister says her best new friend can offer you labouring work at 35 bucks an hour..."

"Mum, fucking hell. Until being declared redundant, I was making three times that amount per hour plus overtime."

Meryl sighed, thinking bloody males were so often difficult at times, "Todd, apologise for using the f-word at me. Your father would probably punch your lights out of I told him that his son has become rude and foul-mouthed to me."

"Mum, I'm sorry I hurt your sensitivities by using the f-word when talking with you."

"Thank you, and before you go off to sulk, just wait a minute for me to grab something from my collection of newspaper cuttings.

She returned with a cutting and Todd said, "I had apologised genuinely mum. I know you are trying to do the best for me and keeping my spirits up."

"Thanks, I know you are a good boy and love and respect your parents," Meryl said.

Todd turned over the press cutting she handed him while his mum said, "That's your prospective employer with Mr Orsini and your aunt and may I explain to you that $35 an hour for casual labouring is quite a bit above what is paid on this island for casual workers."

"Fuck, mum. She's a total babe, a bit younger than Aunt Caroline."

"Yes, and keep your hands to yourself when near her."

"Oh mum, I just realised I again used..."

"You are forgiven. I've not seen such a huge smile on your face since your arrival home. But read this other newspaper cutting, which is a short profile of a new settler to this island titled 'The Indominable Lola Hunt'."

"Omigod, this is about she, err her. I heard the guys mention her down at the beach the other day. They said..."

"Stop right there and don't ask me to cover my ears, Todd. You and your sleazy mates..."

"Mum, I was about to say my long -time mates agreed if they ever got into difficulties, they hoped Lola got to them ahead of the medics or a search and rescue crew. They appeared in awe of her, after what their kin and friends had said about her. Guy's mum said she's already a legend although she's only been on the island for about four or five weeks."

"Oh, darling. That's brilliant and I apologize for jumping the gun. Sit and I'll make your favourite toasted sandwich. Meanwhile, Miss Hunt's phone number is beside the house phone. Call her now, and speak nicely. And remember not to call her Lola."

Pulling a can of beer for Todd from the fridge to go with his second afternoon tea, Meryl began buttering the bread and groaned. She heard his son begin his call by saying, "Hi Lola. It's Todd Barnes, your friend Caroline's nephew. When would you like me to start working for you? You can't imagine how grateful I am to receive this opportunity from such a distinguished lady."

Shaking her head in despair, Meryl placed the tomato, ham and baked beans between the two slices of white bread, buttered sides facing out, and placed them into the electric sandwich-maker that was already hot.

She sat at the breakfast bar and heard her son humming, as he approached. Had she ever heard her son hum before? She couldn't remember, but humming indicated he had been given the job, sight unseen.

"I'm back into work, mum. Just for five days initially, but she said in another week her several thousand grape vines recently planted would be ready to be attached to the lowest wire on the trellises and she'd find out meantime what was the going pay rate for that work."

"Mom, she's a doll. Her voice ran over me like honey. I asked didn't she wish to sight me first but she said no, my Aunt Caroline had explained my circumstances and said Caroline had vouched for me and that was more than sufficient for her."

"Well, just remember she's your employer, not your potential girlfriend."

"Mum, I promise I won't touch her. Legend or not, I realize from those newspaper cuttings that she'd practically a goddess and is way out of my league."

"We don't be too subservient darling; you don't know what your luck might be. Your aunt told me that the guy Miss Hunt has been living with, takes his possessions that he wants to the airport to freight to Australia and she goes to the city to share his last night at a hotel in the city that evening and will drive back in his beaten up vehicle that he's transferring ownership to her as a going away present."

"I know the vehicle, it's an old Land Rover but apparently very roadworthy," Meryl said." Her Australian boyfriend had been living as a recluse and restoring an old schooner off the rough track by the Hill's farm."

"Yes, and according to Caroline, Miss Hunt has purchased bought her boyfriend's property from him because it's right against the western end of her vineyard and provides her somewhere to live, although it's a derelict cottage. Mr Nevada's brother has purchased the schooner and will finish off the restoration work there. You might get employment helping Ivan Nevada on the schooner and can add boat building to your CV."

"Mum, you are away with the fairies? Oh, I begin working for Lola on Thursday."

"Good boy, Todd."

Chapter 16

Australian Ned Adams returned from Auckland Airport where he'd lodged his possessions he wanted air-freighted Sydney and parked his Land Rover in a parking space for guests in front of the posh hotel.

The quick-thinking doorman who'd observed the arrival of the crappy vehicle, said to Ned as he was about to enter the foyer, "Are you a guest sir?"

"Yes, by the name of Adams, room 848."

"If you give me the keys of your vehicle sir, I'll have it placed in the more secure underground parking area."

Ned was about to say don't bother and turned to look at his vehicle and saw it rather stood out amid the line-up of mainly luxury limos.

Lola entered the hotel suite almost two hours later.

She and Ned kissed and she asked, did lodging his air freight go well?

"Yep, and I was told that it will be all at my address within two or three days. Here, this is my parents' street location, postal address and phone numbers. If I'm not there they'll know where I'll be."

"But I told you, I'm not interested in going to live in Australia."

"You may change your mind."

"Not after you told me that your mother would treat me as the enemy because she's a fifth generation Australian and expects you to marry an Australian woman of your age."

"That could change."

"Oh, yeah?

Ned shrugged helplessly."

"Are you still signing over the Land Rover to me?"

"Yes, of course. I did the transfer on-line last night and all the paperwork and service manuals and spare set of keys are in an envelope addressed to you on the bedroom dresser together with the keys for you to drive me to the airport at 5.30 am. Included are instructions how you have to enter details for registration of the vehicle in your name, etc. Why did you question my decision to give you the vehicle?

"Because I didn't sight it at the front of the hotel. Knowing you, I expected to see it parked among swanky vehicles."

"Oh, that thought never entered my head. I had the doorman have it parked in secure underground parking," Ned lied.

"Why would he do that; no one in their right mind would steal that vehicle?"

"A vintage collector?"

"Oh, yeah," Lola conceded.

Ned and Lola had coffee and a light breakfast at the airport after Ned had checked in his travel bag. There was a sadness between them due to the finality of their relationship within the next hour.

"Great fuck last night," Ned said mournfully. "And when I awoke this morning, for a while I thought I'd need crutches to get to the Land Rover."

"Translated, does that boil down to "It's all good?"

"Very much so," Ned said, and chewed into a hunk of his egg and bacon bagel.

As the final call was made for passengers on the Sydney flight to progress through immigration and customs, Ned handed Lola a mock-velvet oval box from his boarding carry bag.

"This is for being so adorable to me, from the time of your arrival in my life that almost immediate had you working to help overcome my deep-seated mental anguish. Open it now, I wish to see your reaction."

Fingers shaking and wishing she'd thought of giving Ned a goodbye present, Lola gently opened the box and gazed in wonder at a glorious gold necklace before almost weeping she said, almost sobbing, "Omigod, this is a wonderful parting gift, thank you."

She looked up and Ned photographed her awesome look of wonderment on her face.

"I have to go, he said," as a hostess tugged at the sleeve of his jacket. "It's for formal wear obviously, In the compartment below ir are the details of price, dealer, and registered valuation for insurance purposes together with a much less expensive single strand gold necklace to wear every day, should you wish, and perhaps you will finger it occasionally, thinking of me and our time together."

They kissed, he left her arms and a few seconds later was still looking back and waving it as he disappeared into the secure departure area.

Lola climbed into her two-door veteran Land Rover and said, "Hi baby. We drive without Ned forevermore but we'll remember the connection because I officially name you, Aussie Shelia (slang for a female).

Why crossing to Waiheke on a vehicular ferry to Kennedy Point, Lola sent a text message to Caroline asking her to call her, knowing that her friend might be engaging with customers.

Caroline called within 10 minutes, apologising for the delay.

"How are you darling?"

"I had my weep at the airport. He's gone and once more I'll lurch off alone feeling somewhat like I presume a waif feels. But thanks for asking."

"Where are you?"

"About ten minutes out from Kennedy Point. Ned has given me his old Land Rover and she's bringing me home. Your nephew starts working for me tomorrow and I would like to visit him now to introduce myself to him and his mom, your eight-year older sister, I think you said."

"Yes, correct. I'll must go. Come here for dinner tonight. I'll text you as soon as this call ends."

"Bye sweet lady," Lola said, attempting to sound cheerful.

Todd Barnes called, "Someone is coming up the drive in a crappy 4WD vehicle, mum."

Meryl joined her son peering through the window and said as the driver stepped from the vehicle, "Omigod, it's Miss Hunt. Greet her at the door and invite her in and say I'm gone to comb my hair to look half-decent to greet an arriving visitor."

"Are you okay, mom? You sound like someone in a panic."

That enquiry wasn't answered.

"Oh, hi. I take it that you are Todd?"

"Yes, Lola. I mean..."

"Stop right there Todd. You had the courage to call me, an older woman, Lola the time we spoke on the phone. So, don't turn chicken now. I want you to call me Lola, even in front of your parents. Local yokels, err I call them that because it rhymes, without having met me are spreading the bullshit for doing a small act of kindness and I'm becoming a legend since my recent arrival on Waiheke. It's all fucking nonsense, err pardon my French."

"I believe the origin of the word is obscure, with 'Germanic' considered a best bet, and I recall that England is also in the early running as a possibility but I can't recall France being named as a likely originator as you have perhaps just implied, err unintentionally erroneously."

Lola stared at him for a moment and stonily said, "For god sake, I'm about to employ you as a labour and here you are teaching me something of the entomology of a foul word that came from my mouth."

Todd said shakily, "I apologize, but struggling great writers of the 17th century and earlier may have supplemented their income by working for benefactor like yourself in those days by clearing away night potties and pruning roses or forking over soil, um by way of placing a early comparative perspective of the exchange that has just occurred between you and me."

"For god sake, Todd converse with me as a former farm girl, not a lexicologist."

"But having knowledge of the word lexicologist means that you..."

"Can it, Todd. Please talk to me as an ex-farm girl to avoid over-complicating our relationship."

"Is your mother home?"

"Yeah, she's gone to change."

A door at the far end of the living room opened, and a woman entered.

Todd gaped. His mother was in the dress she wore to weddings, in full make-up and with her hair up in a bun.

"Mum, this is Miss Lola Hunt, who I begin to work for tomorrow."

He glanced at Lola who pursed her lips at him as if saying 'Shhhh."

"Hi, Mrs Barnes. Please call me Lola, and you too, Todd. I have just driven off the ferry from Auckland and called Caroline to get your address because with all this nonsense being bandied around about me, I thought I should drop in and see you both, thinking that you Mrs Barnes, might wish to approve of me as the brief employer of you son. I really am just an ordinary level-headed woman with parents who bought me up well on a sheep and beef cattle farm in the Hawkes Bay."

"But I approved sight unseen because of reading about you, hearing people talking about you including Mr Orsini who claims with pride that you are his protégé in grape-growing. And above all, Caroline gave me a rave endorsement of you and my sister would never lie to me. Oh, please call me Meryl."

"It's lovely to meet you, Meryl. I see you have lots of roses on your property with the early ones budding nicely. My mother loves roses and I have planted Iceberg Roses at the ends of the rows for my newly planted vineyard to be an early warning against diseases and I've been told the Iceberg does well in warding off black spot in Auckland's summer humidity."

"Todd, we would like wine please and you join us in conversation instead of sitting looking bored."

"Okay, red or white, Lola."

"She is Miss Hunt to you, young man."

"Meryl, I invited you both to call me Lola."

"Oh sorry, so you did."

"White for me please, Todd. Anything that has been opened."

"We have two whites in the fridge, neither opened. I recommend the Kennedy Point Chardonnay from near here."

"Oh, yes please. I believe it's the only white under the Kennedy Point label."

"So, you know a bit about wines of Waiheke as well as having your own vineyard planted," Merle said.

"Yes, I have picked up a bit of knowledge. Red wines being produced under the Kennedy Point label are Cab Sav, Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec and, ah, Syrah."

"That's the list, I believe, Meryl said. "Your vineyard is on a coastal strip of the Hills family, whom we know very well. What grapes have you planted?"

"So far, two reds, Merlot and Montepulciano and a white, Viognier. The Viognier is useful for blending with reds but I hope to bottle most of it as pure Viognier."

"That's taking a risk, isn't it," Todd said. "It's not a well-known bottled single variety in this country."

"True, but it's beginning taking off in the so-called New World of wine production, notably in California and will take some smart marketing to grow the little market for it that exists here, but I'm okay with that because I see myself as a risk-taker. I mean, whoever a few years ago would have believed the Italian Montepulciano would establish a firm toehold in this very competitive New Zealand market?"

"Fortunately, it has and it appeals to buyers in the lower end of the market but that will change and many people think most things Italian are good and the name of the grape Montepulciano rolls off the lips grandly. Every little thing counts in pushing forward and I share the believe that it's a grape with a big future in New Zealand wine production."

"My god, listening to you Lola, I can tell you are no ordinary woman. You appear to possess knowledge plus vision and you have picked the perfect man to be your mentor."

"Ah correction, I believe that I didn't pick Rudi Nevada; apparently he sees something in me and he edged in to take me on, in an advisory sense, as his protégé."

"Yes, he is a remarkable man," Meryl nodded.

"He's also a scumbag. He's married and yet is fucking your sister, mum."

Meryl yelled, "Todd, go to your room."

Todd glanced desperately at Lola.

"Meryl, what has Todd done that is so unacceptable? He speaks the truth but could have used an alternative word of phrase instead of the word fucking. I'm aware they are in an adulterous relationship and they both are aware I know that."

"You two are ganging up on me," Meryl said angrily.

"Meryl, even you know that's not true. I appeal to you to tell Todd to stay and pour the wine."

"Stay and pour the wine please, Todd and try to be a little less controversial in your comments."

"Yes, mom. My guess is you are this afternoon meeting a real woman with leadership qualities."

"That may be so, but please pour the wine."

"Meryl, would you like to visit me for lunch tomorrow on the grass in my vineyard under my working windmill."

"You have had a windmill?"

"Yes, it began pumping water into storage tanks yesterday,"

"Oh, yes please. I'll bring a cold bacon and egg pie. Um, could I invite my friend Glenys Hill to join us."

"Yes of course, I've had little to do with her and husband Ernie so far apart from one meeting to hear my offer to buy a strip of their farmland and then at the second meeting we finalised the deal."

Leaving the Barnes mother and son and heading for Classic Hills Vineyards and Winery, Lola sighed and pushing back bits of hair and wondered if she should have it coloured blonde and grow it longer? She believed via her understanding of elementary physics suggested that longer hair fibres were heavier and therefore would stay in position more readily, thereby making them more manageable and blonding would show less hair colour fading in living a life largely outdoors.

Hmmm, well rightly or wrongly that was her theory. Oh, and a hat, rubber-band tie, scarf or a warrior-type headband were perfect add-ons choices to control wayward hair.

But blonde - what about dark brown, silver, grey, mousy or unobtrusive purple. She sighed and muttered, "Get a life, babe."

She scowled, thinking that without Ned, once again she yet again faced an adjustment to her accustomed way of life. not that her life ever remained static for long.