Love is Not a Game

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's... It's perfect Stephanie. My hat goes off to you and Vanessa for this sublime work." He said with a bright smile on his face.

"Now that's exactly what we want to hear, I'm glad we managed to make it to your likings. From what I can tell it seems to be very emotional for you, and presumably for your mother as well." Answered Stephanie who wrapped up the beautiful framed portrait before handing it over to Kevin.

"Oh it is; I know for sure that she is going to love it. Once more, thank you two for this incredible work." Responded Kevin as he took the wrapped up portrait from Stephanie.

"No thanks needed, but we do appreciate it! Like I said, anything involving families hits myself on a personal level as well." Said Stephanie as she calculated the price.

Kevin looked rather confused up to Stephanie when she handed over the receipt. "This can't be right... Is it?" He asked.

Stephanie simply smiled and gave him a wink. "It's perfectly fine, it's family discount today, but only today!" She said with a grin.

Kevin laughed and paid Stephanie the price she had made up for it. He then said his goodbyes to both her and her daughter and made his way back to the car, he still had a bit of time left to set everything up before his mother would arrive home.

*****

The meeting for Caroline finally had come to an end. She was so ready to return home to her son to claim her few weeks of total freedom and to do fun things together again. She got goodbyes from her colleagues that wished her well and hoped to see her in tip top shape again when she would return.

"Wow Caroline, I can already see that the original you is returning faster than ever!" She heard a voice saying from behind her.

Caroline spun around with a smile and walked forward for a hugging embrace with the person who's voice she recognized everywhere. "Thanks for the compliment Zoë! You know it means a lot coming from you!" She replied happily.

Zoë laughed and embraced her friend and colleague. "About goddamn time Caro... I hated seeing you all depressed and down."

Zoë Carrillo and Caroline had known each other since their university days, they had studied the same subjects and in the end became colleagues as well. Zoë was just as important to Caroline as her son, she too was one of the few people that held her when she felt like she was crashing down. Zoë was also the person that had comforted her at her home when she first heard the terrible news regarding her father's death. And just like Caroline, Zoë is also a single mother of a son that she had on an early age.

"So... Ready to kick some ass on Eternia again? Doctor's orders, right?" Asked Zoë with a sly grin on her face as they ended their hug.

Caroline smiled. "Who would have known that you also still play it after all these years, and indeed, doctor's orders!" She responded excited.

"So much has changed over the years Caro... Not only us but the game as well. You mentioned that your psychiatrist wanted you to have more social connections and interaction, right? I'm in a big guild on Eternia, a guild that is exclusively for single mothers that just want to have a good time besides their daily lives. I'm sure you will enjoy it; we even have annual meet-ups IRL (In Real Life). It seems the perfect way to uh... Start your treatment, I guess?" Said Zoë.

"That sounds great Zoë, something to look forward to. I'm sure Kevin can help me with setting up everything at home since he also plays it, I still have to 'level up' my geekiness again regarding all these new technological things and programs though, plus I have to see if I can score a proper PC from somewhere, this crappy work laptop won't be able to do the deed, so to say." Answered Caroline.

"Ha, I already know that that won't be a problem. Girl, you got a 'man of the house' walking around at home just like me. Our boys know exactly what their mothers need." Said Zoë, sounding a little naughty as she said it.

Caroline started to blush slightly, knowing that at home her dear Kevin would be waiting for her. Just as herself he also couldn't wait to spend some quality time with his mom, his best friend. Caroline's blush intensified a bit as she pictured them properly bonding again.

Zoë giggled as she observed her best friend. "I think I managed to hit a soft spot there!"

Caroline snapped out of her thoughts and started to giggle as well. "Sorry Zoë, I'm just really looking forward to spending some quality time with him! And you of course!"

Both women laughed for a bit before taking their leave out of the building. Caroline was shining with confidence again and Zoë loved seeing her bestie all bright and happy once more.

"So, how about I introduce you to the other ladies' tomorrow? Take a bit of rest tonight and enjoy some time with Kev before this duo will be wrecking all across Eternia again?" Suggested Zoë outside.

"Sounds good to me!" Answered Caroline with a grin. "I think I will be able to pick up a decent rig somewhere tomorrow morning, the store where Kevin works should have everything I need."

Zoë smiled at her. "Good! So I will, hopefully, see you tomorrow on the online world once more... 'Missy C'!" She said, mentioning Caroline's online persona to her.

Caroline giggled before hugging her best friend again. "Sure thing... 'Missy Z'!" She responded.

The two women then said their goodbyes and walked off opposite directions. Caroline could feel that her happiness was returning rapidly, she looked up to the bright sky as if her father was looking down at her, shining rays of positivity onto her.

*****

It was a piece of cake for Kevin to prepare his mother's new computer rig, he already had cabled everything together to the monitor, surround audio system and the electricity output. The case fitted like a glove under the newly renovated bureau and would be having enough space for proper cooling.

"Let's fire this baby up." He said to himself as he turned on the computer. He waiting a short period of time for it to install the needed drivers and updates before he worked his own magic onto the system. He installed various programs his mother would be using, of course the client for Eternia was one of them. Satisfied with the result he switched on the standby mode so his mother could use it right away when she would return home.

Now all there remained was to give the framed picture of him together with her a nice spot. He looked around the room for a bit before deciding to hang it up against the sidewall of the room, this way you would immediately spot the picture when entering the room. But it was a surprise after all, so Kevin placed a small cloth over it so his mother wouldn't see it right away, he would reveal it when the time was right.

Last but not least he gave the room one final look and cleaning before being satisfied with the result. He was amazed that he was able to pull it off in the short period of time he had, but then again he had prepared for it to happen when the time was right. Now all that there was left was to wait for his mother to return home and surprise her with his gift. Kevin closed the door to the room and made his way downstairs, picking up a well-earned drink from the refrigerator to clench his thirst.

Just when he had finished his drink he could hear someone fondling keys into the lock of the front door. "Speak of the devil... Kev you are one smooth worker." He thought to himself with a goofy grin on his face.

With a push of satisfaction Caroline opened the door and stepped inside. After closing the door behind her she dropped her bag, kicked off her heels and stretched herself out. "FREEDOM!" She shouted as if she was William Wallace from Braveheart.

"And a good afternoon to you too Mom!" Said Kevin as he watched his mother's silly act from the opposite side of the entrance hall.

Caroline snapped out of her act and started to giggle. "Good afternoon darling." She said happily. She picked up her bag and walked towards her son.

Kevin could already sense and see that his mother's peppy spirit had returned to her. He watched as she walked closer towards him, his eyes scanning from her cute little barefoot feet up to her pretty face, taking a pause midway to appreciate the jiggling of her well-endowed 'twins'.

Caroline made her way over to him and then leaned forward, giving her only child a motherly hug and a big kiss on his cheek.

"Looking good Mom, I hope you will have a good time these few free weeks. You deserve it." Said Kevin as he embraced his mother, not only feeling her affection but also the beautiful breasts he just ogled pressing hard against his chest.

Caroline smiled and looked up to her son, her now sparkling green eyes behind her glasses making contact with his. "Thank you baby... I just know that these few free weeks was really what I needed, to get back into my long lost hobby... And of course spending time with my darling son." She whispered to him.

Kevin smiled at her, he couldn't wait any longer now. He just wanted to show his mother the room he had created for them in the last couple of hours. "You know Mom... I want to show you something, something I wanted to do a long time for you to see you happy again. Care to follow me upstairs?" He asked as he reached out his hand to her.

Caroline giggled and happily took her son's hand. "Honey... You know that you don't have to do something special for me all of a sudden, I'm already happy with just being together with you right now." She said to him rather seriously.

"I know Mom, but the deed has already been done. And truly... You deserve this Mom, and I certainly know that you will love it. It has to do something with our mutual hobby." Responded Kevin as he enjoyed the feel of his mother's soft hand in his.

Caroline's eyes opened up a bit in surprise. "Kev, don't tell me that you spend all yo-" She tried to say before Kevin interrupted her by placing a finger on her mouth.

"Don't worry Mom, and even if I would... For you I would do anything, you know that." He said.

Caroline felt her heart flutter with happiness while a small red blush formed on her face. She gave her son a cute smile and nodded, giving him the okay to take her upstairs to whatever he wanted to show her.

They made their way upstairs and stopped in front of the room that had been more of a storage room to them for the last couple of years. Caroline looked at Kevin with a questionable expression on her face, all he did was giving her a goofy smile in return.

"You cleaned our storage room?" Asked his mother curiously.

Kevin shook his head and simply said: "Sort of I guess... but, ladies first Mom!"

Caroline shrugged her shoulders and acted upon her son's word. When she took the first step into the renovated room she felt another shock of happiness blasting through her body. Her jaw literally dropped seeing that the room had had a total makeover, and then her eyes caught the beast of a machine that was turned on, it's colorful interior colors illuminating the underside of the large bureau through its casing. It was accompanied with an equally colorful keyboard and mouse, and to top it off impressive dual monitors.

Kevin heard his mother letting out a girly squeal of enjoyment, it was like she was a young child all over again. Before he knew it she was wrapped around his body once more, hitting him with a barrage of kisses all over his face and repeating the words 'Thank you!' and 'I love you!' over and over again.

"You sly dog you! How in God's name did you manage to pull this off sweetheart!?" Asked Caroline highly excited after expressing her happiness and love to her son.

"By being your awesome son! And to let the love for my mother do its work." Answered Kevin vaguely, but his mother knew immediately what he meant. "Oh and before you ask again, I did not spend all my saved up money on this, working in an IT store has its benefits, you know?"

Caroline said nothing in response and gave him another big hug before letting go to walk around the renovated 'storage' room. She trailed her hand across the desk, the chairs and the bright white walls that seemed cleaner and brighter than ever. She also took in all of the technological devices that had been installed in said room, still amazed how her caring son managed to install everything in such a short amount of time. Finally, her eyes rested upon something that was covered with a cloth on the wall, she pointed her finger towards it. "What's that baby?" She asked.

Kevin looked at what she was pointing at, he gulped before answering her. "That's your final present...".

"Can I... Can I take off the cloth?" Asked his mother, seeing that mentioning it stirred a reaction from her son.

He nodded and took a step forward so he was behind her, he then placed one hand on her shoulder, giving it a squeeze.

Caroline was surprised by his reaction as she carefully reached up to remove the cloth. As the cloth pummeled down onto the ground her eyes widened once again, but this time all kind of emotions were released inside of her. She felt her eyes tearing up, her heart beating faster and her skin itching.

Memories of her youth, the birth of her son and the later stages of her life flashed by as she took in the picture of her and Kevin, the picture that her father had taken of them now beautifully enlarged and displayed with a hardwood frame around it. In the middle of the frame under the picture sat a small metal plate. "You and me, together forever." Was engraved into it.

Kevin still had his hand on his mother's shoulder, he could feel her body tremble and shake, even more so after each sob. It didn't take long before she turned around to him and embraced him once more. She softly cried into his chest while he stroked her hair gently, he could feel his own tears running down the sides of his cheeks.

Mother and son just stood there together for a while, both experiencing the emotional outburst, memories of themselves and her father, his grandfather. It was no doubt that this was the most beautiful surprise of them all.

After a few minutes Kevin could feel his mother calming down. She slowly raised up her arms and took his face in her soft, tiny hands. They looked each other deep in the eyes, an unknown never before experienced feeling running through both their bodies.

Caroline then pulled her son's face closer to hers, her full lips met his and she gave him a kiss, a long lasting and unmotherly kiss.

Kevin's heart almost bursted out of his chest, he couldn't believe that his own mother was giving him a kiss full the lips, a kiss that normally is meant for lovers. He felt his whole body weaken as if his mother was draining his life force. The kiss felt like it lasted for hours.

Caroline released her lips from her son's after a few seconds and cuddled up to him again.

"I love you Kevin, I love you so, so very much." Was all she whispered to him.

"I... I love you too Mom..." Responded Kevin in return, holding the most important woman in his life close to him.

Another short period of time went by as mother and son stood inside of the renovated room embracing each other lovingly.

Both of them were in the living room downstairs a half hour later. Caroline had changed into her 'lazy' outfit, a tank top and sweatpants, both which hugged her well-shaped body perfectly. She sat on the couch next to Kevin, cuddled up against him, her legs under her body and her head on his shoulder.

Kevin had his right arm around her body, holding her close to him as they enjoyed each other's presence.

"So... I guess I can say that my surprise for you was an effective one?" Asked Kevin after a while.

Caroline cuddled further up to him before speaking up. "You guessed right honey... You sure know how to make your mother a very happy woman..."

"I'm glad I do, seeing my mother happy makes me happy too." Responded Kevin.

Caroline giggled and let out a cute little coo, feeling her former self again thanks to the love of her own son.

The rest of the evening they sat together like a lovers' couple, enjoying being close together, feeling fully relaxed and comforted. It was the first step of their fast evolving relationship.

*****

The first week of Caroline being absent from her work went by in no time. She felt like she had stepped into a time machine and traveled back in time, reliving the times how she and her son had been before her father's death, together playing games and having fun with each other.

Kevin saw his mother blossoming into the same cheery woman she was before and its positivity rubbed off onto him as well. He was glad that they would be spending time together like this again, it was even better that he was more at home than at the university this month of the year due to his excellent results. It was as if destiny had planned it for them.

Caroline had also been introduced to the Guild full of single mom's on Eternia by Zoë and it immediately clicked. She enjoyed having fun with like-minded people, strong single moms that knew all the ins and outs of living the life they lived. She even went to a small gathering at a local coffee shop in the city that was planned by Zoë, here she met a couple of the women she had been playing with online, you could say that after the gathering she had a few new friends and the social aspect that Lenora had advised her to act upon started to shine once more.

Everything was going good again, great even. Caroline felt she had her life back on track and Kevin had the mother he always had known return to him as well. Of course it couldn't stay like this forever because what happened next would change the lives of mother and son forever.

*****

Kevin sat on a rather comfy chair across the principal's bureau, still feeling a lingering anger inside of him after what had happened a few minutes ago.

"You know how he can be Miss Harrison, this time he truly stepped out of line and if it wasn't me then eventually someone else would have acted the same way I did." Explained Kevin to the older woman in front of him.

Miss Harrison sighed before speaking. "First of all Kevin, please call me Jenna when it's just the two of us and second: I know Mr. Coletti has behaving somewhat... Different than what kind of behavior we allow over here. I will be having a word with him as well, but you know actions like these will have consequences, even if I have known you almost all your life."

Jenna Harrison had been a long-time neighbor to both Kevin and Caroline when they still lived at the farm. When Kevin eventually found out that his old neighbor was the head of his university he was rather surprised, but also relieved. She had been like a second mom to him when either his mother or grandfather couldn't look after him all those years ago.

"I'm sorry Miss Har... Jenna, but when he called my mother a 'antisocial reject freak' I simply snapped. He always tries to get under peoples' skin and well... He succeeded this time, but he was not prepared to be lying on the floor like a bitch with his blood spurting out of his half broken nose." Responded Kevin fierce.

"Calm down Kevin, please. Like I said, I also will be trading some stern words with him, don't think he's coming off easy as he has been warned before." Countered Jenna.

Kevin sighed before speaking again. "You know how my mother has been going through a shit period of her life recently and I refuse people calling her names when they don't even know in what kind of situation she... we were."

"I completely understand what you are saying Kevin, and I know what both of you have been through, but it doesn't justify your actions." Said Jenna softly. "I need to follow the rules and I'm afraid that I will have to give you at least a suspension for a week, violence is not tolerated here, no matter what the cause."

123456...8