Nudism and Academic Politics 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"When I came along, I got a full scholarship to Wellesley and that saved my academic career at the time. My sister, who is a kind person that I respect and treasure, has never forgiven my father or me for not giving her the chance she so desperately wanted: to be an Eli, a Yalie. My parents didn't want me to suffer or go without in order to fund Marsha's supplemental tuition. Even worse, I had to be fitted for braces and that was very expensive.

"Oddly enough, my father has recovered and is now a wealthy man, but it's too late for her. She got her degree from the University of Massachusetts and is doing well in her job and marriage. I adore her, but I don't think the feeling is reciprocal."

"Wow! I wish you had told me this before." Frank moved forward and took her in his arms.

"Susana Carlson, I cannot lose you. You have no idea how much I care for you. I give you my solemn promise that I will strive to provide a decent life for you all your days. I'm not a slacker. I can make it, I know."

"Frank, I don't want to lose you either. But if you could see your way for us to live together as a couple, as partners, that would make me very happy."

"Well, for the record, I can't afford to give you a ring, so it was sort of a long-term promise." Frank took her hands and kissed her forehead.

"It's a deal, then. I hope some day soon we can make our union a permanent one. Until then, I accept your counter proposal, my love."

They spent the evening lying on the couch and listening to the cultural channel on radio while they sipped wine. When eleven o'clock came around, they were both surprised not to hear the usual sexual foreplay noise from next door.

"Maybe, they're resting a little," Frank suggested. Susana laughed. "She may be having her period...that's a blessing or sorts."

One thing that Frank and Susana had not discussed in detail was the prospect of having a child. While they were students, living in a cramped and drafty studio apartment, that possibility seemed overwhelming in its complexity. Many French students they knew had "monté un ménage" (started a family)--but they came from a culture where having the bare minimum in necessities was acceptable. They were willing to make unbelievable sacrifices to be parents.

Susana could not envision herself as a mother, struggling to climb three flights with a child in a baby carriage loaded with groceries. There was of course no elevator where they lived. Since both she and Frank had to attend seminars at the university, where could they leave their baby? For convenience sake, they had tacitly agreed to postpone parenthood until they were more stable.

Susana's mother had brought up the issue of children and their future. Boston, she reminded her daughter, was rife with very good schools where Frank and she could possibly find jobs. Why not look around in this area? She knew several school administrators who could help. As Fulbright scholars, they would have a leg up over other candidates. They could help with taking care of any grandchildren; if not, there were a lot of child care facilities in the area.

Susana knew, from her discussions with Frank, that he would prefer living in Florida where he would be closer to home and where he had some connections at various universities.

Susana had been to Florida several times on vacations and it seemed to be an attractive state that was overwhelmed with tourists and elderly retirees. It was also very hot and humid during the summer months. She would prefer the Boston area but it meant living in a huge and very expensive urban area.

Just as they were getting prepared to take a plane from Paris Charles de Gaulle (they would spend the night at an airport hotel before takeoff), they received, out of the blue, a telephone call from Rudy Heinrich who was now working in Hamburg in a steel manufacturing plant in the purchasing office. They had corresponded off and on by Facebook, but they had not seen each other for almost two years.

"Hi, guys! Surprise! I hope you're during well in Strasbourg. Gisela asked me to let you two know that we're getting married. At the end of the summer in August. Well, the date was her choice, not mine! We'd really be happy if you could attend the wedding. We'll show you a good time in Hamburg."

Frank motioned for Susana to come to the phone he was holding. "Rudy and Gisela are getting married," he whispered. Susana's expression was joyful and she indicated that she wanted to talk to Rudy.

"That's great news, Rudy. I figured you had something like that in mind. Gisela is a wonderful person. You're lucky, you really are."

"She's right here. Just a second." Susana took the cell phone from Frank and the two women launched into an animated conversation.

Susana, after briefly consulting with Frank, told Gisela that, unfortunately, they were leaving Strasbourg for America and they didn't know exactly where they would be staying or what Frank's status would be. Could they put things on hold for a while until they settled down? They would love to be at the wedding, but they just couldn't say okay at the present moment.

Gisela said she understood although, if they could manage to come to Germany, they would be more than welcome. They wished each other the best and Susana promised to let them know how things were when they got settled somewhere in the States.

Frank and Susana had planned to stay with her parents in Wellesley outside Boston for a week or so. Frank had steeled himself to be introduced to the family, most of whom had Ivy League degrees and would probably think Susana had chosen someone far below her status in life.

During the trip from Logan airport in Boston to her parent's home, Susana talked non-stop with her relatives: parents, a brother, two cousins, and her maternal grandparents, all of whom stared at Frank with either puzzlement or indifference. God, he thought, this was going to be tough. At least the brother tried to be welcoming, something Frank deeply appreciated.

For eight days, which seemed like an eternity, Frank was questioned, probed, and prematurely judged by Susana's family. The grandparents could hardly believe she would be living with someone--the "Rebel" was his name in the family-- who came from southern Georgia, of all places! Her mother was very civil, but let Susana know that if they experienced any serious financial difficulties, she and her father would help out. Their daughter was not going to struggle through life as an impoverished academic!

Her brother, Hugh, was, as they say in the South, "a big talker." However, he was very kind to Frank and even took him to see a Red Sox game one afternoon, just to get him out of the house.

One night, as they made love in Susana's old childhood bedroom, she forgot to muffle her cries and the entire household knew that she and Frank had broken a cardinal rule of the upper class: sexual intercourse was very private and was never made public in a noisy fashion.

Her mother frowned at her the next day and asked if she were using a safe contraceptive. She was then lectured about pregnancy and if they, as an unmarried couple, planned on having an immediate family.

Susana broke down in tears, and said she loved Frank, that he was a good man, and would eventually succeed in life. Her father, although moved by his daughter's loyalty, was still not convinced that Frank would come to anything.

Her sister, Marsha, who was often absent from many familial get-togethers, dropped in one afternoon, after driving up from Connecticut to meet Susana's southern lover. After the usual niceties, Marsha was duly impressed by Frank's knowledge of how Europe and France had imploded during the thirties and forties and how many countries, including Russia, had never fully recovered from the Second World War.

At dinnertime they were actively discussing the moral issues of Albert Camus' La Peste (The Plague) and how it was relevant in today's world. They even carried it over to the meal itself until her mother mentioned that literature and morality were not discussed at the table.

The next morning, Marsha took Susana to one side and congratulated her on finding a southern gentleman who knew more than her history professors at UMass. He was charming and she understood why they got together.

"We'll give him a chance, "Marsha insisted. "Just be patient."

Susana hugged her sister warmly and said tearfully, "Getting my big sister's approval means a lot." They hugged again before Marsha left for home in Connecticut.

Susana's brother drove them to Logan and wished them well as he dropped them off. Next in order was a trip to southern Georgia and the very small town where Frank had spent his childhood.

They had to transfer from a Delta flight in Atlanta, with its myriad corridors and large metro connector, to a very small commuter flight carrying eighteen people who were squeezed into a prop-jet that took them to Savannah where Frank's parents, grandparents, and two sisters were waiting for their flight.

Susana was overwhelmed by the southern accents, questions about her background, and other issues that Southerners considered essential with regard to a future relative.

She was also surprised at how everyone wanted to touch her, in a friendly manner, just to make a viable connection. Frank's father was a tall, upright man who was one of the major businessmen in the area; his mother was very attractive and a leading socialite and civic leader in her small town. The sisters, who were several years older than Frank, talked and talked; southern women were not taciturn or at a loss for words when it came to family matters.

Susana was also astonished to hear how sports- oriented the entire family was, although she couldn't remember Frank ever mentioning a sports team during their relationship. She had to sit through an analysis of the upcoming seasons's football schedule for the University of Georgia, its "cupcakes" (easy wins) and potential dangers along the way. A dynamic coach would hopefully lead them to a national championship.

Susana was presented as well to the community--which seemed to be endless--at a reception that Frank's mother gave in her honor. Pictures were taken with the cousins and nieces and uncles as well as the immediate family. Having family picture albums was very important in traditional southern families.

Frank stood by her side as he introduced Susana to some of his high school friends who had, for the most part, married and were parents. Early marriages were very common in the area, she learned.

"Frank was quite an athlete in school," Perry Littleton, a high school classmate announced. "He was the quarterback of the football team and a top-notch pitcher for the baseball team. He even got a scholarship offer in baseball from Georgia. When he went to Duke, he dropped out of athletics." Perry also added, with a wink and chuckle, that Frank, as quarterback, was really popular with the girls.

Susana looked at Frank with surprise. How many other things don't I know about this man? She made a note to query him about his background which didn't seem important in France.

After a copious evening meal (Susana was afraid of putting on weight if she continued to eat like this), Frank's parents took them into the den for a "parental guidance" chat. Whereas Susana's parents were more pragmatic about Frank's future, Fred Kestler had every confidence in his son's abilities. Frank had graduated salutatorian of his high school class and had excelled at Duke University where he majored in political science and French studies.

Fred Kestler knew his son could succeed at anything he put his mind to. Joyce, his mother, was a graduate of the University of Georgia in education and she currently taught English at the local junior high school. In a soothing voice she asked Susana if she had anything to say about her personal life, something they should know. She was not being judgmental, but she didn't want to have any surprises at a later time, especially if they were planning to marry. Frank squirmed uncomfortably by her side but stayed quiet.

Susana became defensive and said that she didn't fully understand what Joyce meant, but... she had led a typical upper middle-class life outside Boston. She could assure them that there would not be any unpleasant revelations about her conduct or character. She had graduated with honors from Wellesley College where she had majored in political science and Romance Languages. She also had a minor in Germanic languages.

Along these lines, she hoped that Frank had been a person of character and that she would not have to experience any "unpleasant surprises" based on his life so far. She found Frank to be a wonderful and considerate man whom she deeply loved.

Fred, Frank's father, intervened and apologized for his wife's bluntness. They had just met Susana and in southern circles someone's family life carried a great deal of weight in marital decisions. What were her intentions toward Frank? Would they being living together or did they plan to marry in the near future?

"In this community," Joyce explained, "people who are sexually active are expected to marry within a reasonable period of time. I hope you and Frank are also planning on a family. We would of course be willing to help out initially if there were any problems."

Susana spoke up: "Fred and Joyce, you seem to be nice people; however, in Massachusetts these matters are considered very personal. I can only say that Frank and I will most likely marry as soon as we stabilize our lives financially and academically. As far as children are concerned, we haven't seriously talked about this issue. Personally, I hope that we can start a family as soon as possible after we marry."

Frank had warned Susana that his parents could "cut to the chase" and to expect some pointed questions. They stood up and welcomed Susana to the family with southern-like hugs. They understood why Frank was so smitten by her.

Joyce praised her outspoken nature...that was very typical of southern women. "If you don't mind, I would like you to meet some members of the family at a luncheon I've arranged for tomorrow morning. Frank and his father will be having a father-son chat at the country club. Don't worry...everybody is curious but they are delightful people. You'll be well received."

As they climbed into bed, Frank said he hoped everything would be fine at the luncheon. His father, he knew, was going to talk finances and job aspirations. He was a take-charge type of person who felt there was a solution for any sort of problem. He would give her a full report when he got back.

"Mother really likes you. You don't back down when challenged. She's just a little confused about having an unmarried daughter-in-law to talk about. Cohabitation or "shacking up" is not that popular in southern Georgia as it is in Massachusetts." He put his arms around her and she could tell that he was sexually aroused.

"Well, Rhett Butler, do you make love to your women silently or with a little joyful noise unto the Lord down here?" Susana teased his stirring member in her conventional, experienced manner. Frank caressed her breasts and replied: "Southern women can be pretty excitable and exciting...let's go for half-staff tonight. These are big, thick doors."

She made more than her usual moaning sounds but knew, from Frank's description, that her cries would be softened by southern architecture...and she delighted in the newly found orgasmic freedom.

Susana knew she was going to enjoy being with Frank's parents. She understood now where he got certain of his characteristics. She might have to borrow an outfit from Frank's mother for the luncheon. Her wardrobe was very limited.

The local country club was typically southern with a well laid-out golf course, swimming pool, and tennis courts that were constantly being used. At lunch, Frank's father mentioned how pretty and charming Susana was and said he was somewhat uncomfortable about his mother's questions, but they had to know certain things. This was different from getting to know a girl that Frank had dated for a long period of time.

Frank said he understood; he had faced the same sort of questioning when he had met Susana's parents in Boston.

After lunch, they strolled around the club grounds. His father greeted a number of members and introduced Frank to them, saying that he had returned from a two-year stay in Europe. Southern hospitality made Frank feel as though he had never left his home town to study in another state and abroad.

"Son, you ought to consider trying to find a job or teaching positions not too far away. There are two or three schools where you would fit right in. But, I'm sure you'll choose the place where you and Susana will be most comfortable."

Frank attempted to explain to his father that he needed to be close to a research university to complete his studies. Susana would also have to be in a larger city where she could find a position at a junior college.

He was looking at a couple of major institutions in Florida where they might find compatible positions. It was a problem for so many young academics in the same or comparable fields: very few couples succeeded in getting jobs at the same institution.

When the job market was bad, it wasn't unusual for husbands and wives to travel back and forth to jobs in different cities. It put a big strain on their marriage, especially if children were involved.

His father nodded, but Frank could tell he had hoped they would settle a little closer to his home town. "If we find something in Florida, we can visit everybody here on a regular basis, or you could come down and visit us," Frank asserted.

"Frank," his father had placed his hand on his shoulder. "Susana is a wonderful person and we would consider it an honor to have her in our family. Starting out is tough...your mother and I had some pretty rough times during the first years of our marriage. Just remember, you are family and we protect close relatives, even if they don't always do the right thing." Frank was reminded of the Mediterranean expression: "Family is everything."

There were striking similarities between the southern Georgia ethos and the Latin culture's worship of familial bonds.

They walked back to the club house with his father's arm draped over his shoulders. Things had gone well. He was eager to find out how Susana's luncheon had turned out. She was captivating and outspoken: how could anything inappropriate happen with the Scarlet O'Hara of the North pleading her case before the ladies of the old plantation South, gone with the wind?

Three weeks later

In a moment of pure serendipity, Frank had received a call from a former classmate at Duke who was now an assistant professor at one of the major universities in central Florida. He was the chairman of a search committee in charge of finding a temporary replacement for a tenured faculty member in political science who had received a research grant for a two-year stay in Germany. He knew this was Frank's area of expertise and thought he might be interested in

accepting a two-year contract until the tenured member returned.

Frank explained that this was indeed an attractive offer but he was interested in finding a position for his partner as well at a neighboring junior college, either in French and/or German studies.

The friend, Jeffrey Baynard, answered that Susana might be suitable for a junior college, located just off a major highway about fifteen miles away, that normally experienced some turnover during the summer months. She would have to be interviewed and make a formal application, of course.

He finished by reminding Frank that he too would have to submit his curriculum vitae and letters of recommendation from Duke and his thesis director at Strasbourg. Although the position normally would require a Ph.D. in Political Science, Jeffrey felt that he could make a convincing case for the Maîtrise as being the equivalent of an American A.B.D. (All but the doctorate). Frank would also have to interviewed by the committee but, based on his knowledge of Frank's background, that shouldn't be a problem. In the meanwhile, if Frank had any questions, please give him a call. Jeffrey said he would be in touch very soon with pertinent information by e-mail.