Lyssara's Kozakuran Adventure Pt. 03

Story Info
Lyssara and Chun delve into an ancient tomb.
10.8k words
4.83
3.1k
3

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 02/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Soft melodious chanting filled the chapel of the small monastery. All around them, lamas dressed in red and orange robes recited mantras and shook cymbals in the flickering candlelight as one by one they approached the statue of The Enlightened One and made offerings of flowers, herbs or other reagents. Lyssara intently watched the followers of the Red Mountain Sect as they meditated, waiting to see if anything would happen.

She knew of course that rituals rarely resulted in divine intervention, but she was clinging to the last dregs of her hope like the survivor of a shipwreck to flotsam. Lyssara had been stuck with the cursed blade for months and was eager for even the slightest hint that someone had found an answer. Even now she could feel an itch on the back of her neck as if the spirit in the blade was watching her.

The katana had been left outside the temple so as not to defile it with the curse like had happened with the hsing-sing. This was doubly important since the lamas of the Red Mountain Sect were celibate. The adventuress was just at the edge of the range where it would be teleported back to her if she went any further. With a sigh, she reflected on the last two months of their journey. After leaving the hsing-sing they returned to the Silk Road and traveled through Shou Lung. It seemed like every day their progress slowed as Matsu grew bigger and rounder.

The shikken's daughter was six months pregnant but already looked fit to burst. Of course, none of us know how long it will take to carry a half-oni child to term. For all we know her water could break any second. Lyssara glanced to her side at Matsu as she silently mediated. She had no idea what the other woman was thinking, and even after all this time found it hard to understand her. Despite being used by Wagnard and the Cult of Lamashtu, she remained loyal, at least in spirit, to the demonic entity. While she didn't overtly worship her, Lyssara knew Matsu would waste no time before getting bred again once her first child was born.

Lyssara turned to her other side to look at Chun with deep regret. She wasn't showing yet, but the young woman was pregnant from her 'encounter' with the hsing-sing. By the Abyss what a terrible first time to have, Lyssara thought guiltily. The adventuress' shame was only compounded by the fact that she had avoided being despoiled that night and had to leave Chun to her fate.

To the apprentice's credit she hadn't let her situation slow her down. Chun had thrown everything she had into combat training to emulate Lyssara's fighting style. She now had the basic elements of the form down, though she still lacked the number of enhancing spells Lyssara used to buff herself in combat. Still, Chun was making great progress and was now at least able to actively support Lyssara in close combat.

They were expecting to see more of it now that they were in Khazari. The small kingdom was best by enemies, both internal and external. The longer they stayed in the valley the higher the chances of them being attacked. At least the kingdom was famed for its hospitality, or rather, the hospitality of its monasteries. There was hardly an inn to be found since the religious settlements opened their doors to travelers.

After the service they were meeting with the chief monk to discuss their request. Lyssara was seeking a letter of introduction for the large monastery in Skardu, the capital of Khazari. She hoped that he would have the power to banish Wagnard and the discipline to keep the evil spirit from corrupting the ritual. I can't have another night like with the hsing-sing.

At the conclusion of the ceremony Lyssara, Matsu, and Chun approached the senior lama. "Greetings honored one. Thank you for allowing us to observe your ritual" Lyssara said.

"It is our pleasure to share the ways of Padhran with all who wish to learn" the lama replied. "I understand that you wish to appeal to the head of my order to cleanse an evil spirit from your sword, and you desire a letter of recommendation from me. This is correct?" When Lyssara nodded that it was, he continued. "This is a serious request to make. Please understand, the situation in Skardu is tense, and there is a great rivalry between my order and that of the Yellow Mountain. To gain access to the Dalai Lama requires trust, especially if a cursed weapon is involved. I hope you can appreciate our concerns."

"Of course I can, they're really quite sensible and understandable. That being said, I've been nothing but forthright in our intentions since arriving. What more can we do to convince you that our intentions are noble?" Oh no, Lyssara thought, cursing herself as soon as the words left her mouth, I walked right into it.

The lama smiled triumphantly. "There is something you can do. A group of bandits has recently moved into the area and is preying upon travelers on the road to Skardu. Such problems are endemic and a way of life in Khazari, but this band has disturbed the tomb of Lo Pan, an evil wizard who died long ago in a failed attempt to become a lich."

Power in Khazari was incredibly decentralized, meaning the Prince Tsipiang didn't have a standing army strong enough to patrol the roads and protect caravans. The local lords were supposed to do that, but they often protected only their own interests, resulting in a land overrun with robbers and thieves. The Tuigan invasion had given Tsipiang an opportunity to strengthen the crown, which he was doing, but his efforts had not yet born fruit.

The word 'lich' made the back Lyssara's neck start to itch again. At least this one failed. "And you're concerned they'll awaken his spirit? Find an evil artifact?"

"Yes to both. Defeat the bandits, put the spirit of Lo Pan to rest, if needed, and I will write you the letter of recommendation you seek." The lama marked Lyssara's map with the location of the tomb. It was nestled in one of the many mountains surrounding the small valley kingdom.

Lyssara stared at the map for a while as she calculated the distance to travel and the effort involved. "With your permission, I'd like Matsu to stay here while I deal with the bandits. She's not up to traveling, and it will be too dangerous in her condition."

Matsu started to object, but Lyssara lightly touched her arm to stop the protest. "The baby could come any time, Matsu. You can't go running off to fight bandits with us and we don't want to have to worry about you while handling everything else."

"It will be alright, I'm sure they'll take good care of you here, and if you do go into labor it will be better have shelter instead of being in the wild" Chun added as she patted her friend's shoulder.

When the shikken's daughter reluctantly agreed, she went with the lamas to find quarters while Lyssara retrieved the sword.

It's about time! It's a shame you didn't take me along. I could have had a lot of fun with celibate monks!

"Quiet" Lyssara hissed, then turned to Chun. "You can stay here as well, you know. I can do this alone."

"Don't be silly, Miss Lyssara. You need me, and I need to get stronger. I can't do that sitting in a monastery" Chun retorted.

"It's going to be dangerous. We don't know how many bandits there will be, or if they'll have awoken anything in the tomb. In your condition-" Lyssara tried to object before being cut off.

"My condition is irrelevant" Chun said through clenched teeth. "I will not allow my progress to be slowed. I have to become strong enough to resist such attacks in the future."

Why? You enjoyed yourself from what I recall. I can sense you want to enjoy yourself again, too. Just let go of your inhibitions-

"I said be quiet!" Lyssara snarled over her shoulder at the hilt of the blade. "Chun, you have to take care of yourself first. You have your whole life ahead of you still. After you-"

"Teacher, with respect, I have made my decision. Unless you intend to order me to stay, I will accompany you on this quest" Chun declared.

Don't let her endanger the child, Lyssara. There will be time enough for her adventures after she's given birth.

Lyssara stared at the young woman for a full minute before finally sighing and letting the tension leave her shoulders. "Very well, Chun. Let's talk about what spells we'll need..."

****

It was less than two day's travel by foot to the tomb, which overlooked the silk road. The tomb was built into the mountain side, and had originally been part of a large castle, but over succeeding generations it had been torn down bit by bit for building supplies. Only the tomb was left, as it had been protected by traps and wards to keep out plunderers. The evidence of their effectiveness was clear to see as Lyssara and Chun approached.

A sun-bleached rub snapped beneath Chun's foot as they approached the entrance. A large granite seal that had been rolled before the doors was lying on its side, cracked down the middle after being roughly pushed away. The twin stone doors were open, though only darkness could be seen within. While ominous enough itself, even more alarming was the menagerie of statues decorating the hillside. Six stone figures, from the size of a child to full grown adults stood about.

"Those aren't really statues, are they?" Chun asked.

"No." Lyssara studied the statues carefully. "They real question is whether they were hit with a flesh to stone spell, fell under a medusa's gaze, or whether there was some kind of paralysis trap."

"How do you tell the difference?" Chun asked curiously.

"Detect magic is the best way. People transmuted into stone by a spell will radiate with magic, while victims of a medusa's gaze will not. It will also hopefully detect any magical traps in the area" Lyssara replied.

"Is there anything we can do for them?" Chun asked. "This one was just a child, probably playing and hit a trap."

"I don't have the stone to flesh spell, nor am I sure I could cast it if I did." The adventuress looked a the small statue regretfully. "Also, you remember what the lama said; Lo Pan died long ago. The child's parents, siblings, and even nieces and nephews could be long dead."

A greater restoration spell would work if they are the victim of a medusa. Not that we have access to that either.

"You're not a member of this group, Wagnard" Lyssara snipped. "What do you care anyway? Aren't medusae monstrous enough for you?"

Certainly they are! Ordinarily you might expect Lamashtu to smile upon such hideous creatures except for their penchant for turning their victims to stone. What a waste!

Lyssara shuddered at the prospect of having to mate with one of the vile things. "Chun, cast detect magic and let's see what we're dealing with."

The apprentice cast the spell and the statues began to glow. "Not a medusa, then" Lyssara muttered as she cautiously approached the entrance to the tomb. At first glance there didn't seem to be an indication of magical traps.

"I don't see anything; does that mean a wizard cast these spells?" Chun wondered.

"Maybe. Or maybe the bandits disable the traps when they broke into the tomb." A faint clamor emanating from inside the crypt drew the adventuress' attention. "Shh, listen."

I don't hear anything.

".d..ou...d.nyt...g.v.. t..re"

"There's people in there" Chun whispered.

"The bandits." Lyssara considered the situation for a moment. "I'll make you invisible, then follow me. Standard tactics apply; try to get past the fighters to target healers and casters in the back." When Chun nodded her understanding, Lyssara cast the spell and crept into the tomb.

"..o.t..ow..ha..s th..?"

The voices echoed incoherently through the narrow stone passage leading into the mountain making it impossible to determine how many there were. I'll find out soon enough, I suppose. Flickering lights in the distance signaled an opening of the passage into a chamber. We're almost there. Will Chun be ready? Although they'd been traveling together for two months, Lyssara still wasn't used to adventuring with a partner. Having to rely on someone else felt foreign to her, and even though the younger wizard had never let her down Lyssara still had trouble trusting her to do her part in the battle.

It's not her, it's me. I'm part of a team now and need to get used to it. Lyssara's heart thumped faster as her heeled shoes clacked in the narrow stone passageway. Not for the first time she cursed her submission to fashion. The voices grew louder, and she saw shapes in the distance moving about a chamber. Almost there now.

"What do you think this is?" A deep voice asked.

"Throw it in the bag, we'll figure it out later" another voice answered.

"What's that? Someone's coming!" A third voice chimed in.

"Who goes there?" The second voice demanded.

They're just other humans. Kill them all and move on, they're not worth the time.

The leader, maybe. "My name is Lyssara Torrani. I've been sent to clear you out of this tomb before you idiots awaken the dead. Throw down your weapons and I won't kill you." Lyssara drew her rapier, suspecting that the bandits wouldn't surrender so easily. They never do.

"Some slut thinks we'll just give up? Grab her and find out if she's brought anyone else with her."

Before the bandits could enact their plan Lyssara surprised them by sprinting into the room. The closest grave robber was still trying to find his weapon. Just as the burly man spotted his two-bladed axe Lyssara lunged at him. The enchanted tip of her rapier stabbed through his leather jerkin easily and slipped between his rips. With a gurgled groan the man sank to his knees and collapsed.

"Bitch!" Another bandit snarled as he chopped downward with his sword. The nimble adventuress stepped aside, letting it clamor against a large stone coffin. Another of the men moved to box her in and thrust a spear at her. Lyssara parried it to one side and maneuvered to escape the trap.

She slashed her blade at the spearmen and cut his arm, but a third bandit to the back quickly cast a spell, closing the wound. Come on Chun, take out the healer. The two bandits closed in on her again, stabbing and slashing to keep Lyssara moving instead of being able to focus on the attack. It's too close to try and cast a spell she lamented as she parried the spear again. Instead of dodging the sword she charged in and slammed her shoulder into the bandit, knocking him back and allowing the spell-slinging adventuress to escape from the corner she was being herded to.

A gasp of pain from the far side of the room momentarily caught Lyssara's attention. Chun shimmered out of invisibility as her rapier stabbed the cleric in the back. Unfortunately the healer's chainmail kept the attack from being fatal, and he brutally swung his mace backhanded, making the young wizard leap backwards.

Chun trembled as she dodged again, then weakly thrust the rapier but it only glanced along the cleric's chainmail. She started to back up as the bandit increased the pressure, trying to overbear her by using his larger body to push the wizard back. The young apprentice retreated in the face of the onslaught, only barely managing to stay ahead of the mace.

I'll help her in a bit, for now at least the healing has stopped. Lyssara snapped her attention back to her own fight as the two thugs attacked again. They were more cautious this time since they didn't have the cleric supporting them, giving Lyssara more time to plan and act. She took advantage of the opportunity to counter-attack. Feinting deftly to one side, she stepped back inside the guard of the spear. She thrust her rapier forward at the bandit's exposed through, but he jerked his head to the side at the last second. The blade still pierced his neck, but didn't hit anything vital.

The sudden gush of blood did keep him distracted though, allowing her to parry her other opponent's sword without having to worry about getting stabbed in the side. The man grabbed Lyssara's wrist and tried to pull her off balance only to be shocked when she barely moved. Her magically enhanced strength allowed her to match and even exceed him. Lyssara swung her other hand forward, smashing her fist into his jaw and making him stumble back seeing stars. She quickly elbowed the spearman in the face as he clutched his neck.

With both of her enemies off balance, the adventuress spared a glance for Chun. The young woman was being pushed back towards a cairn, and soon there'd be nowhere left for her to go. She began her incantations and cast a storm of magic missiles which slammed into the cleric from behind. The attack made him stumble forward and threw him off balance, giving Chun the reprieve she needed to lash out with her rapier, slashing the healer across the face.

Lyssara had no time to watch the rest of that fight as she had to finish her own. The swordsman panted as he approached her, though more cautiously than before. Meanwhile the bandit with the spear was trying to circle behind her and trap the adventuress between them. Fortunately for Lyssara he was still cradling his injured neck in one hand.

He can't resist you Lyssara. Finish him!

Not wanting to turn her back on the swordsman, she kept rapier pointed towards him as she gambled on the fact that the spearman was too injured to stop her from casting. Lyssara knew it wouldn't take much to finish the wounded bandit, so she cast another magic missile barrage. A raspy groan escaped the thug's throat as he tried to bring his spear around, but was too slow to prevent being slammed by the arcane bolts. He stumbled back and then toppled over dead.

The bandit with the sword took that moment to strike, and though she was able to parry the main thrust the sword still managed to cut her side, tearing her shirt. Lyssara winced in pain as she felt blood start to drip down her side. She brought her casting hand around, but the thug blocked it. They grappled inside each other's guards, fighting for a dominant position.

Behind them, the cleric was attempting to heal the wound in his back from Chun's initial surprise attack. The young wizard cast her own spell, launching a ray of sickness as the healer. Poison infested his body, making him double over and vomit. With his spell disrupted, his injuries mounted and the bandit fell to his knees wheezing. Seeing him incapacitated, Chun launched a coup de grace and thrust the point of her rapier into the back of his neck, finishing off the evil cleric.

Hearing the death of his comrade distracted the swordsman, which Lyssara exploited by head butting him, smashing his nose. He stumbled back in pain and shock, allowing the adventuress to skewer him with her rapier. She pushed it deep into his belly below his chain shirt and then angled it up to maximize the damage. The bandit's eyes emptied and he slumped to the floor, dead.

Lyssara winced and held her sigh as she looked at Chun. "Are you alright? Any injuries?"

"I'm fine, how are you? That looks like it hurts" the young woman remarked as she approached Lyssara and examined the wound. "Not too bad, and a small price to pay for solving the bandit problem."

"Yeah, I suppose. Still." Lyssara took out a bandage and place it against her wound, then wrapped a second one around it and tied the knot on top to keep the pressure against her body. "That seemed a little too easy. Just the four of them? Plus any outside who may have been petrified. It seems like there should be more."

"You're right" Chun agreed and looked around the room. "There's another passage."