Magical Moments

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Lynn_
_Lynn_
275 Followers

"The world needs more people like you, young lady. I'm disheartened by the lack of respect some people have for others. I won't ask questions. You have an honest aura about you," he said.

"Thank you," I whispered. "Take it and fix Rudolph before your son gets home."

He watched as I walked away. I wasn't sure if he recognized me. That didn't matter. What did was the joy I felt giving him the money.

With my walk over, I prepared a light dinner, picking at the salad when a headache stole my appetite. An early night was in order. I woke during the night congested and feverish. After a glass of water to help my parched throat, I went back to bed.

The next morning, I overslept. A brief shower helped to clear the fog in my brain. By noon I realized I should have stayed home. Spreading my germs around the office wasn't acceptable. My boss agreed and sent me home. Since it was Friday, I would have the entire weekend to shake the cold before I was due back at work.

Driving wasn't easy between the sneezing and the coughing. I was glad to see my driveway since that meant my bed wasn't far away. For the next twenty-four hours, I slept.

Sunday was Christmas. Late Saturday afternoon, with the worst of the cold gone, I decided to try a last-minute shopping trip to the mall. I grabbed my purse and left, glad to be out of the house for a while. Once there, I wandered around the shops, enjoying the holiday decorations and music. I made a few purchases for myself, but when I began to run out of energy, I made my way back toward the exit where I parked. I was near the Santa's village when an announcement told shoppers the mall was closing in thirty minutes.

A young child stood in front of the Santa, unsure whether to sit on his lap or run back to his mother. The second choice won. No amount of coaxing would change his mind. She took his hand and turned away, frustration showing on her face. For a moment, I thought about following her, making her the final recipient of the challenge. I hesitated and they disappeared into the crowd. I would have to find someone else who needed a reason to smile.

Several minutes later, with no one in line, the old man pushed himself up from the chair and carefully made his way down a small hallway. Something—or someone—told me to follow him.

He sat on a small stool, his fake beard on his lap, a bottle of water in his hand. I didn't think he saw me but he turned my way and sighed.

"A depressed Santa isn't what you would expect to see on Christmas Eve.

"Our emotions don't look at the calendar," I said.

"I should have stayed home with my wife this afternoon. She's been going through tests to see if the lump on her breast is cancer. She insisted I come here so I didn't disappoint the children. Her results wouldn't change but . . ."

"She knew the children expected to see Santa," I said, completing his sentence with my own thoughts.

"I've been Santa for over thirty years. I've heard heartbreaking wishes from children who lost their innocence by uncaring parents. All I wanted to do was give them a happy memory."

"I'm sure you have."

"My family never complained when I was gone so much. Yet there were times I felt guilty worrying about other children when it seemed as if I ignored my own."

Before Alaleah appeared in my life, I would have questioned why a stranger opened up to me. Trusting me to complete her challenge with the money gave me a new perspective.

"We all make decisions we later question. You cannot change the person you are," I said, moving to stand at his side.

"I can't lose her. She's my world."

When his voice cracked, his pain hit my heart. I didn't know what to do to help.

"I can make excuses and say I should have done things differently. My wife understood how important this was. She reminded me other kids had a few minutes with me once a year, leaving all the other days for her."

"She sounds wonderful."

"She's amazing," he said, wiping a tear from his cheek. "I wish I thought earlier to buy her a little something extra. We don't give each other Christmas gifts and haven't from the time we married."

His story made me want the same kind of relationship when I married. He stood when a mall guard approached us.

"That's our cue, little lady. Unless you want to spend the night locked inside here."

His smile lit the narrow hallway. I admired his ability to find humor during an emotional moment.

"No thanks!"

We laughed but I sensed he had more on his mind. I waited to see if he shared.

"So, missy, I don't suppose you have a Christmas gift hiding in your pocket, do you?"

I hadn't thought about the money for several minutes. "I might," I said.

"Ah, you know I was kidding."

He waved off the comment. I didn't.

"You know Lambert's is open until midnight. They have a huge selection of gifts that would be perfect for your wife."Approaching footsteps made me speak faster. "You could stop there on your way home."

"I didn't bring any money along. My wife worries someone will steal my wallet."

"Maybe this will help." I took my hand out of my pocket as I spoke.

I expected something other than silence. Then again, I didn't know the man, I was assuming based on my intuition.

"Or take her to dinner. You choose."

"I don't know what to say."

"Knowing I did something that made Santa smile is all the reward I need," I said.

"You're an angel, young lady. I won't forget this."

He pushed open the door marked locker room and stepped inside. I took a deep breath.

"I won't either," I whispered.

My smile lasted long after I left the mall. I would never think of Christmas the same way again. Alaleah—and one hundred random people—changed my life forever.

_Lynn_
_Lynn_
275 Followers
12