All Comments on 'March Comes in Like a Lion'

by JavaBlack

Sort by:
  • 120 Comments
TajfaTajfaabout 3 years ago

Very good but a bit more about how his ex fared would have been good for me. The love story was good and took a different route from February sucks. However, it seemed like 2 different stories. He could have met the ex where she finally apologised and said she regretted her actions and broke down when she realised what she lost. He forgives her and wishes her a good life. Remember they had a child together and some contact would have been normal.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago

Thank goodness we finally got into March because February was really beginning to suck. This was a great story about turning the celebrity fling thing on it’s head. Having him get a night with a beautiful, good hearted, female celebrity worked well. Dumping disrespectful Kelly and marrying his fling made it great.

JoeMoeFromChicagoJoeMoeFromChicagoabout 3 years ago

Great. So basically this is "February Sucks Part 3475912: The Recasting." To be fair, that could've been unintentional, but then this story is subject to poor timing. But given the title of the story, I don't think it was unintentional.

chytownchytownabout 3 years ago

Nice and easy read. Thanks for sharing.

WetheNorthWetheNorthabout 3 years ago
That is the story outcome that I have been waiting for

I did not really care that much for February Sucks and even though some of the sequels and alternate endings were likeable, this story beats them all hands down

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveabout 3 years ago

I liked it a bunch, although very similar to another story involving a wife stealing football hero that I just read days earlier. You really pack a lot of story into the two pages, and you do so very smoothly. I'm not a writer, so I am not sure that makes sense or not, lol. I hope you write more.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 3 years ago

Will February Sucks ever end?

Mr Anderson’s story was very good, and I really liked the beginning conversation, at the part when one of the married women said, “Why would I tell my husband?” That part was real.

But through multiple rewrites, it seems that everyone wants to create a situation in which the husband ‘wins.’ That in Mr Anderson’s original, the husband staying with his wife and them working things out could be considered a win for the husband is just not part of the LW commentariat thinking. For most, it seems that the husband can’t win unless the wife loses, as though marriage is some sort of zero sum game.

OdiouserOdiouserabout 3 years ago

You are a great writer, with flawless results. Despite the blatant emulation of George Anderson, it is more creative in its own right than any of his 3 dozen emulators. Thanks for giving us this.

WargamerWargamerabout 3 years ago

Liked it, scores 4/5

ThorlolThorlolabout 3 years ago

Good enough story but there is one inconsistency. It happend while Brianna talked about her ex.

"At that point she broke down and I took her in my arms. My own eyes misted over, thinking about how Kelly and I had been talking about kids, wondering if we would ever have them now."

At this point it sounds as if Matt and Kelly have no kids but later on a son named Danny suddenly appeared.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuabout 3 years ago

ehh,

ok this is a fantasy site so ok I give you that.

3/5 stars

Rickman48Rickman48about 3 years ago

I liked it better than February Sucks

dc6370dc6370about 3 years ago

On page one Matt and Kelly didn't have any children, but on page two their son's name was Danny. It wasn't that long of a story to make that type of an error.

mainer42mainer42about 3 years ago

good story and great twist on GA's story. No nitpicking here

DazzyDDazzyDabout 3 years ago

Ain't love grand?!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Usual rubbish

dardefdardefabout 3 years ago

When did he and Kelly have a son????still was just a rewrite of "February Sucks"

AngelRiderAngelRiderabout 3 years ago

Another useless, lame, crappy February sucks story. What happened to the originality? When you all write these stories do you actually believe you have created something unique and different? Do you lean back and pat yourself on your back and think, wow I am so good? Jesus christ.

Baldy74Baldy74about 3 years ago

Liked it, Good spin on the story. But you made him out to be a crap dad. His son was like an after thought, leaving him didn't seem to even factor in to he's decisions.

whateverittakeswhateverittakesabout 3 years ago

Excellent. Is this the ultimate goose/gander revenge?

timrivtimrivabout 3 years ago

Same thing wife cheats, hubby gets new hot wife. In this case hubby is a real bastard as he dumps kids as well by moving to new city to be with hot wife. He is far worse a person than wife ever was and she is well rid of him.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 3 years ago

GA-esk no doubt, but I love the twist. You packed a lot of story into just two pages. I think you could have dug deeper into what was going on with Kelly and why she did it and/or didn't respect her husband, but still a solid story. 5*

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 3 years ago

Good job with the celebrity one-nighter. It is still a theme that has some entertainment miles in it if done right.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A nice variation on February Sucks.

jocko_smithjocko_smithabout 3 years ago

Great work. Good pacing, story line worked well, so if there were any edit errors I didn't notice. A very good LW drama-turned-romance. And a great example of "living well is the best revenge."

I do so love a BTB, and a credible reconciliation (which are rare) as well, but this "satisfying happy ending" is uncommon. Thank you.

lukeshortlukeshortabout 3 years ago
Same Old Same Old

Pretty much follows the established pattern. 3*

Rocky62Rocky62about 3 years ago

Weather ladies...... seems to attract some lovely ones for sure

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 3 years ago

A nice twist to the old tale. Thanks

SkubabillSkubabillabout 3 years ago

Pretty good although I would have enjoyed just a little comeuppance for Kelli.

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 3 years ago

you write a part about how much respect the ex-wife is getting now.

kirei8kirei8about 3 years ago

It's a feel good story because in any other world" my career comes first" would be a show stopper. Along with being attracted to surface good looks, look out. But she was honest about it. Good luck, Mister Mom,You may need it!

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 3 years ago

Danny was almost an afterthought but this was a nice, short fantasy.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989about 3 years ago

A good read. One I enjoyed. It was one big fantasy from start to finish. I didn't give any thoughts to his wife leaving with the quarterback.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 3 years ago

I liked it! 5*****

The "fling" could easily be a marriage killer, but the disrespect after showed how little she loved her husband. Looks or not, he definitely traded up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I liked this version of the February series.

I would have been interesting to see how Matt's ex-wife and ex-friends reacted to the news that he married Brieanna and shared a child with her.

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 3 years ago

Surprising and enjoyable

The message was, if you care to believe it, that celebrities are people too. Although it is a little hard to swallow, Brianna was a real person without the superficial trappings of celebrity and Matt was the happy recipient of the situation. I gave this story a 5* rating, not because it was such a wonderful story, but partly because it was such a relief for the hero to come out ahead on the infidelity thing. The endless regurgitations of the story of the hockey player who picks up the hero's wife in the club with all their friends around have really gotten boring and this tale was a breath of fresh air. Thanks.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66about 3 years ago

A very good, 5 star story. My only concern is a lack of recognition for the GeorgeAnderson "February Sucks" story as the inspiration for your stoty.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I don't normally use the "C" word, but the 1st wife was a narcissistic cunt.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Only four star story written today. What does that tell you about the quality of stories submitted to loving wives?

BigGuy33BigGuy33about 3 years ago

An enjoyable read...

...if an obvious play on GeorgeAnderson's 'February Sucks'.

Keep an eye on your continuity and spelling. Your MC said he wondered if they would ever have kids, and later talked about being a single dad and co parenting.

Also, the spelling of Breanna (Brianna) was inconsistent, once even in the same paragraph.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Some inconsistencies:

"At that point she broke down and I took her in my arms. My own eyes misted over, thinking about how Kelly and I had been talking about kids, wondering if we would ever have them now"--So no kids yet????

"It was hard being an every other weekend Dad, but my son and I made the best of it"

So kids or no kids???

otherwise a good read

JohnD46JohnD46about 3 years ago

Wow, a new twist and it certainly works. Been waiting for that. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Geo Andy plot. LOVE slap hapy papy #9

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 3 years ago

Living well is the greatest revenge of all!!!!

Forto02Forto02about 3 years ago

Nice and different.

We all know this is another spinoff from February sucks whether you change names and places or not.

Even the name of the story suggest so.

But I say this is by far the most enjoyable of all the spinoffs (and I red them all).

Keep up writing, you'll do

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Breanna or brianna?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

So, he cheats with a cheater, and later marries her. What a moron.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Liked the story. It's written along the lines of "February Sucks". Kelly got hers the ignorant slut!

njlaurennjlaurenabout 3 years ago

It is obviously another spin off the theme of February sucks but it is different enough to make it unique. Pretty well written too.

The only real problem with the story to me is Kelly, while he kind of gets his revenge w Brianna the ex remains a mystery, it seems like she never gets over him,hence the anger, but we don't get the satisfaction of seeing her really feel pain. Also he kind of abandons his son moving away. ( We don't know his age), that also drew the eye. One note on book publishing, it usually takes a year or so between manuscript submission and being published, it happened too fast in this story.

johnadpjohnadpabout 3 years ago

First woman he is married to doesn't only cheat on him, but is condescending about it before and after. Not only that, we find out that she was always disrespectful towards him, and put him down constantly.

Then he hooks up with a woman who had as easily cheated on her first husband, and immensely disrespected him. Then we find out that same woman was going to fuck him, a married man, just to make a point and not necessarily because she was attracted to or is really interested in him. Ok, whatever. I'm all for redemption if she is a changed person from the woman who would fuck to get ahead in her career, and fuck on her husband. And if she is fucking this new guy for charity or to assuage her own guilt from her first marriage, I guess people fuck for all kinds of reasons.

But then she tells the man who she says she supposedly loves, and who told her he loves her, that her career comes first. I mean after all she has an amazing career that means so much to humanity. She is revolutionizing medicine, or creating great wealth for humanity. Oh no, she is a fucking weather girl who reads lines and wears tight clothes and acts like a bimbo so men will tune in to watch her local channel, as opposed, to the other weather bimbo on the other local channel. But then this idiot MC is used to being disrespected by the women in his life. The first one apparently did it to him throughout their marriage and he didn't realize it. And now this new bimbo disrespects him and he is reaction is but of course your career of being a tv bimbo is more important than our love and relationship.

Caricature characters. How can we have any respect for the MC if he put up with a disrespectful condescending dismissive wife throughout his first marriage? And how can we respect him now if he is willing to put up with being second fiddle to a silly career. A weather girl who thinks her "career" comes before her marriage would flash like huge neon sign to me, "attention whore, attention whore, beware!"

When I first started the story I thought it had potential to be interesting, but then it got boring for me real quick. Yes, it had a silly "happy ending" I guess, unless you realize he is being a duffus once again. Not going to score it, because it will be low. However, I'm sure the story will do well, because in this category all many readers care about is if the guy ends up with a hotter chick, ends up rich, and the ex-wife is left behind and miserable.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

You need to thank George Anderson for this one. At least give him credit.

johnadpjohnadpabout 3 years ago

Had to add one more comment.

My wife had a post-graduate degree in a science related area and had a pretty interesting job when I was dating her; however, I told her if we got married I would want her to give up her career. My career was stressful and busy enough that I didn't want a wife who was working long hours as well. I wanted her to be able to focus on the family and home (not cooking or cleaning as we had someone for that, just generally take care of anything to do with our lives) and children (we ended up having only one child though). She was totally fine with that, so I proposed to her. So, I don't have a problem of that being reversed as is in this story. I couldn't do it as a man, but not going to be misogynistic and poopoo it in reverse.

However, I wasn't condescending or stupid enough to tell her that my career came before her. It didn't and it certainly never came before our son. So, it's an extra level of stupid that Brianna would actually say that to the MC. She could have said my career is important to me and it requires moving sometimes, is that something you can deal with? Not, the bullshit that even after they get married her career came first.

If I was dating a weather girl, a model, or a stripper (yes to me all three basically are in the same category of women making money off of their looks, and not really doing anything worthwhile) told me her "career" came before me, I don't think I could even respond to that. I imagine I would be laughing hysterically, shook my head and just turned around and left. What do you even say to a stupid statement like that? It's one thing for her to say I want to have my independence so want to have my own career and my own income. But that her career was so important in her mind that it came before her relationship or husband!?

Also, it's one thing if Brianna fucked the anchor at the station to get ahead, behind her husband's back. But to do it in front of him, without any consideration to his welfare, to me means she is something of a narcissist sociopath (and her telling the MC that her career comes first is a further example of that). You don't elect narcissist sociopaths to office, and you certainly don't marry them or have them as close friends. If they're attractive you fuck them and use them like they do others, and then move on. On second thought (from my initial comment earlier) I'm not sure if Brianna's actions from the first marriage is redeemable. I think it shows a major defect in character that she can do that to someone she supposedly loves. Wouldn't she fucks someone behind her husband's back (if not in front) if it gets her her big break? But even forget about her cheating again. Just shows the low level she regards relationships. And again, weather girl is not like being a journalist (a worthwhile and interesting career). What does it say about her character that getting public exposure is so important for her, even if it's just for her looks. Again, that's just an attention whore, and another sign she needs other people's attention and approval to feed her narcissist mindset.

muskyboymuskyboyabout 3 years ago

Sad variation on a VERY tired theme. Kelly and their supposed friends didn't pay at all, just to make the story really bad.

iameaseliameaselabout 3 years ago

Never mind that this was a February Sucks redux, which that alone was truly annoying, but the over the top, I can shit and it would be a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end of it ending is what ruins many decent stories. As it did here.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerabout 3 years ago

The story is good and so is the writing. I enjoyed it. THANKS! 5*****

freeman82freeman82about 3 years ago

Lazy, uninspired rehash of most of the cheating wives stories here. The most glaring error that made the story unpalatable was the mention of starting for kids, then suddenly he has a son, but he never get mentioned again. Getting some closure with the ex would have been nice too.

HikingThruHikingThruabout 3 years ago

Good take on a newly popular theme. I liked that the new couple did not easily fall into each other ASAP. There were some editing nits like Brianna's name, and first they hadn't had kids yet, and then he had a son, that he left behind rather coldly. Then moved away from son to Chicago and then NY. Seems like kid was either an afterthought, or was meant to be deleted.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Great ending to the GA sorry (if that was your intention)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
February sucks again

Revisited for the umpteenth time. This was another mediocre version although the husband came out of the deal smelling like a rose. Mildly entertaining. I wonder if George Anderson could have imagined the nerve he struck with the original story? You should have given a nod to him in the beginning.

BrewtooBrewtooabout 3 years ago

It was okay, but in the part where Brianna tells him her story - he's sad, wondering if he and hiscwifevwill ever have kids. Then they get divorced and all of a sudden he's co-parenting. Huh?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Too much time spent on the details of writing, editing, publishing, and promoting. Not enough time on disintegration of marriage and friendships.

mattenwmattenwabout 3 years ago

Yes, I think your story is very good, even if I disagree with the double cheating! Nevertheless, I always like it when the losing part in the end has drawn the better lot!

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 3 years ago
PLEASE ... PLEASE . . . PLEASE

ENOUGH with the February thing! And all the months within 5 months.

This one had its oddities (fairly well noted in comments) but was different enough that I only feel slightly soiled by reading it.

4*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A story with a happy ending. Fame ,marriage and child. Of course money helps.

MusicGuy4FunMusicGuy4Funabout 3 years ago

Brilliant

Simple and ingenious.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Your Error

When Brianna spoke of not missing out on having kids with her guy, our hero thinks of the kids Kelly and I might have had. Yet, somehow Danny appears. What?

dante22dante22about 3 years ago

Good story line but it was very predictable. I'd have liked to see his first wife suffeer a whole lot more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

So he married a closet slut, just waiting for the right dick to ditch him for, . . . or the wife got hit with Martian Slut Ray. Which is it?

Its a common plot fault in the LW genre. The wife is loyal and loving and intelligent, then, BAM, she becomes cock crazy, and arrogant, and lacking all respect for herself, her husband, and her marriage. So how does a normal discerning man date and court and decide to marry such an empty soulless shallow cheating monster? There is no part of the story that explains the wife's betrayal other than she got a great offer. So how many previous offers did she accept, and/or how man future offers will she accept? What normal woman thinks she can sneak off to fuck another man, in complete disrespect and humiliation of her husband, and still have an intact marriage when she comes home?

You can't have it both ways. He married a closet whore and got what he deserved, or its was the Martians.

Whatever. Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

First rate ; one of the shortest , but clear and to the point . Keep up the good work ! I'll be looking for more good work !

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 3 years ago

Nice, Mr. Black. Thanks for posting. Randi.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I read it one time and realized the child mistake

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 3 years ago

Mr ado doesn’t think much of Brianna’s career, she’s just a bimbo weather girl, right? But she’s making sure she can support herself, and that’s important, right?

More, these bimbo weather girls earn an average of $92,000, which is far higher than the median family income in the US. But if they don’t keep moving up to bigger markets while they are sill young and pretty, they fall behind. Brianna getting a job in Chicago is going to be in the $150,000 range. She’s got to earn it while she can.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleabout 3 years ago

Good read. Well told.

A different slant to a well-worn story. But good enough to make it different.

Well done.

superdandy123superdandy123about 3 years ago

great stuff, enjoyable writing. It didn't quite click that the theme was Feb Sucks until Wilson and Kelly got on the dance floor haha.

I liked the name changes, made it a bit more refreshing.

Aside from their fame and wealth, Matt and Brianna were very normal and relatable which was great.

story flowed well and the happy ending had a good feel to it.

main criticism I had was just how Brianna meets Matt. The approach was unnatural(?), it was just a bit too aggressive (the sex part) and focused like she was specifically there to rescue whoever Wilson cucks. Massaging it in would've been a much better choice (e.g. Brianna just being a nice person and being a good friend).

also just personally, would've liked to see a bit more of Kelly and Wilson at the end. Not much satisfaction there. Life well lived endings still need a certain level of satisfaction from making the ex regret or pissed off.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Vindication for the original about a similar subject. Well thought out and executed.

maninconnmaninconnabout 3 years ago
Nice story!

I feel good now!

Thanks for writing.

Slider_48167Slider_48167about 3 years ago

I am so fed up with February Sucks! I very quickly made the connection and was pleased with the progression despite some other criticisms below.. I too would have enjoyed some retribution, but it really wasn’t necessary.

InfosaugerInfosaugerabout 3 years ago

like superdandy123 mentioned I would like to know more about Wilson and especially Kelly? What was she thinking when she lost her husband to Brianna? Especially after he got famous? What did they tell their son about the divorce?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Awful and abusive

I can't understand the comments about this being a great story. It entirely in the wrong caterory and is simple abuse and cruelty.

patilliepatillieabout 3 years ago

I hate that George Anderson story, for what it has spawned in its aftermath. But this was one of the better variations on it. 4*

johnadpjohnadpabout 3 years ago

@ReedRichards.... let me make an analogy so maybe you can understand my point. If I met a man at a party and he told me he was a garbage collector, my attitude would have been cool whatever. But if he went on and on how it was a great career and the most important thing in his life, and I knew he was married and had kids I would then think he is either retarded, insane, completely delusional or he hated that he was married and had kids. Now, if I met a scientist on the verge of finding the cure for cancer told me their career was everything to them then I would understand.

My issue wasn’t that her job was important to her. Everyone’s job should be. It’s that she said it comes before her husband, and I’m assuming children. So, the only reason I can think of that a weather GIRL thinks that way is because she is an attention whore.

I’ve met a lot of models, both ones my company used and otherwise and for most of them that ‘career’ was a place holder to meet a rich man. They were ready to ditch it as soon as they landed one.

johnadpjohnadpabout 3 years ago

@Reedrichards one more thing. I met a weather girl here at a local Los Angeles tv station like 15 years ago and she was making $750k a year just from that job. Then she made more from appearances she made. So, in a big market they make a lot more than &150k a year and this was more than 15 years ago.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

YEAAAHHHH mon! Now we‘r sucking disel! That one works big time!

Eat my fucking shorts, „February“.

Five GIANTS Spliffs mon!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Sorry, this story was, at best, ordinary and unemotional. Quite superficial in all respects.

jackcaljackcalabout 3 years ago

very good story and well written #5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I don't understand why so many are down on her for her dedication to her career. She was honest and upfront, if it bothered him he was free to not pursue the relationship. It's similar to a woman who gets involved with a professional athlete - his career may require multiple moves, and if she can't accept that, she should break things off.

..

As far as her previous cheating, she obviously regretted it and had learned from it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Good story, with one glaring error. As Briaanna is telling him about her ex, he remembers how he and his wife had been talking about having kids, and wondering if that would now happen. Yet when it comes to the divorce, they suddenly have a son, and he's looking at being a part time dad. The author needs to pay attention to his continuity.

lukeey90lukeey90about 3 years ago

Fuck i like how you changed this plot to husband favor...good job 5*

FifteenyearscotchFifteenyearscotchabout 3 years ago

Naive bullshit! And what kind of hetero male is ok, INSISTING, to taste his own residue?!

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 3 years ago

Not a bad sequel to “February Sucks.” I also noticed the inconsistency regarding “kids.” Otherwise the story was fairly good. Thanks for writing.

NitpicNitpicabout 3 years ago
Likeable

Likeable story,but would have liked to know what happened to Kelly.

OlFrog14xOlFrog14xabout 3 years ago
Credit due GeorgeAnderson and/or StoneyWebb,

the obvious sources. Competently executed, hence all of 3 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This actually needs a lot of editing. Characters are extremely one-sided (B/W) that it is painfully unrealistic. "Writing" books ... about what? Apparently the author thinks about himself but with this low quality writing on LW of LE you won't have to worry about quitting your day job.

nixroxnixroxalmost 3 years ago

1 star - Feb. sucks again and probably forever. Please just put a sock in it. This version is so far out in LALA Land that I was looking forward to reading that Tinkerbell was flitting about sprinkling fairy dust on everyone. hahaha

DeepBlueCDeepBlueCover 2 years ago

Enjoyed the story very much. It fits very well with my sense of justice and hypocrites, i.e., Kelly.

Don't really care much what happened to her as she made it clear the type of person she is. Can't have your cake and eat it, too!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A good friend of mine actually owns the Phoenix!

Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well done! Really enjoyed the twist of both of them having "passes".

Xzy89c1Xzy89c1over 2 years ago

1 star. What happenned to his son? If a father wants it can be equal custody of child if the mom also works. It is standard now. Every other weekend never happens anymore.

etchiboyetchiboyover 2 years ago
His first child, Danny, gets short shrift. Don’t even know Danny’s age.

....

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJavaBlack@JavaBlack
I will not be commenting on any stories, my own included. I want my stories to be judged for themselves, not influenced by something that I might say in a comment.