Mary and Alvin Ch. 35

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm liking this plan."

"And you and I go to Acadia like we planned, and then," he shrugged, "wherever we want for the next two weeks. No kids, no family. You and me, off on an adventure."

"Let's go all the way home on back roads."

"That's sounds cool."

Charlotte smiled. "And one other thing."

"What?"

"We should fuck. I mean, fuck a lot, every chance we get."

"She what happens when we put our heads together? This plan gets better and better."

Charlotte leaned her head on her hand and gazed at Seth with a thoughtful expression.

"You know, I don't think there's any reason we can't start that part of the plan right now..."

***

There were hamburgers and bratwurst and corn on the cob for supper, and afterwards, the family gathered around the fire pit once more. As dusk fell, the temperature dropped, and everyone moved closer to the fire.

Alvy talked about the canoe trip he and Jasmin had taken, and Jennifer and Danni described their hike to the old farmhouse.

"Wasn't old Doug Quimby still living there when we were kids?" Tim asked Alvin.

"He was. He was the last of them, near as I know. And he must have been pushing ninety."

There was more small talk, full of old stories and future plans. Joey fell asleep in Omar's arms, while Mary held Jeannie in hers. When the conversation slowed, Alvy nudged Jasmin with his elbow. "Talk to Rachel," he whispered.

Jasmin looked down at her feet and shook her head. She tensed when she heard him call out, "Hey, Rachel..."

When Rachel turned to look at him, he asked, "You going to give us any spoilers about your new book?"

Rachel smiled. "No, I'm not giving anything away. You'll all get advance copies as soon as they are available. And Jasmin, I'll make sure you are on the list."

Jasmin looked up, blushing. "Thank you," she said, "That would really be awesome."

"I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it."

"I'm sure it will be great."

"Thanks. Every author loves to hear people tell them what they think about their work, whether they admit it or not."

"I love your books.I still can't believe I got to meet you."

"Now, if you can just quit being so shy. I'm just a normal person, we can talk about anything."

"Really?" Jasmin bit her lip, then said, "Because there is something I have always wanted to ask you."

"Ask me anything, dear."

"You write such romantic stories, but you've never been married or anything, and well..."

Rachel held up hand to stop her. "I know what you're wondering, and it's okay, you aren't the first. What do I really know about love?"

Jasmin nodded, and everyone else listened in silence to Rachel speak.

"I know a great deal about love. I haven't been married, that's true, but I have been in love many times. I am almost always in love. I have been in love with men and I've been in love with women. Sometimes it has brought me tremendous joy, at other times it has brought me only sorrow. And every experience has been a part of making me who I am now, as a woman and as a writer. But my own experience is just a small part of what goes into my writing."

She looked around the circle of faces glowing in the firelight.

"I have lived a life surrounded by love. And I have learned that every loving relationship is its own epic tale. My mom and dad, who I miss terribly, probably seemed like the most ordinary people in the world to outsiders, but they shared a true romance that lasted through their lives. You know, they died less than six months apart. I think he loved her so much he couldn't live without her."

She made eye contact with Andy, who nodded in agreement.

"Great romance is all around me. It's the atmosphere I've breathed in my whole life."

She gestured toward Jennifer. "Jen and Danni, the team mates who became life mates, that's a love story for the ages. Or Alvy's mom and dad, about the most mismatched couple I ever saw, who love each other so deeply."

Charlotte took Seth's hand, looked up at him and smiled. Rachel paused as they kissed.

"Theo will have his great love story yet," she continued, "It took his mom and dad a while to get theirs straight."

Theo, Tim and Molly all laughed.

"Hannah and Omar somehow found each other from opposite sides of the world. Bonita and Jamie, what a romantic adventure they share. And I think of my brother Andy, and the improbable story of how he met Jessica. And that was only possible because Mary drove all the way from California and found my Uncle Alvin."

She stopped for a minute and smiled at Mary and Alvin.

"My princess and my sailor. What were the odds that two people, so perfectly matched, born a continent apart, would find each other and spend the rest of their lives in love?"

Mary softly smiled as she felt Alvin's arm wrap more tightly around her.

"You see, Jasmin, my writing all comes from my fascination with the great paradox of love. And that is that love is the most incredible miracle in the world, but it surrounds us every moment of our lives. It is the most precious thing in the world, but it is one of the most common."

It was quiet around the fire.Each member of the family was lost in their own thoughts of love, lost or found or yearned for.

Mary looked down at the baby in her arms. You precious little soul, she thought, you exist because of the love between your mama and your daddy, and that only came to be because one day long ago, I went for a bicycle ride and met your grandfather.

She looked up at Alvin, kissed his cheek and rested her head on his shoulder. Charlotte picked up her guitar and began to softly play a slow melody.

Mary watched the fire. As its sparks rose into the sky, she imagined they did not fade and die, but rose and became stars.