The Girl with The Pink Bat

Story Info
She was the ultimate hardass. He was wounded and scared.
45k words
4.88
24.1k
113
34
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DB86
DB86
1,245 Followers

Edited by kenjisato. A huge thank you as usual.

Proofreading and suggestions by OldDave51

She was the ultimate hardass. He was wounded and scared to love again.

++++

Hi, welcome back to Middletown!

If you want to check some background about the MC, she made her first appearance at "Wheels of Love". However, you can read this story as it is, and hopefully enjoy it.

CHAPTER 1

My phone pinged and I took a quick look at the screen. It was a message from my best friend in high school, Ray Clarke. He and his family had moved out of Middletown as soon as he graduated from high school. We sent each other yearly birthday and Christmas cards and texted from time to time, but we weren't in close contact after he left.

What would he want?

I was tempted to type something back, but texting on a date might be considered rude, even when my date was boring me to death and I was dying to go home.

I placed my phone back on the table, and did my best to focus on the guy in front of me. Not an easy task.

I had met this guy at the mall. He was obviously a tourist. I was bored, so I let him start making conversation. I learned that he was an architect and he was thinking about moving to a small town.

"How is it living in Middletown?" he asked me.

"Small towns are not for everyone. Most residents have lived here since they were born, and they're very, um... set in their ways, protective, and routine-oriented," I explained.

The guy just looked at me.

"Middletown is a quaint old place. It has kind of a weathered feel..." My voice trailed off. "We are surrounded by all the best Mother Nature has to offer. It's a very small town, quiet, and peaceful. People ride their bikes around in the summer. On warm nights, they sit out on the front porch and watch the sun begin its nightly symphony of painting the sky in vivid shades of orange, red, and violet. Anyway, this is how it feels living here."

Then, he had said he would like to ask me out, but he said he was too shy. I thought it was a cute way of asking-slash-not asking me out. I know how some guys feel about that stuff, so I helped him ask me out and we went on a date.

So, here I was. Worst date ever.

He went from cute to having issues in no time. Everything he had said about himself was negative, like "I know I'm not really at your level;" "you're probably used to dating better-looking guys;" or "my life is not really that interesting."

"So, you're a Leo?" he said.

I shrugged, "So I was told."

"I'm a Libra."

I had no idea what that said about him or me. Astrology had never been my thing. I did my best to avoid yawning.

"How many siblings do you have?" he insisted.

"Still just the one I told you about."

I was not trying to be a bitch, but he made it difficult when it was clear he didn't pay attention to a single thing I said.

Here he was this handsome guy, and all he could do was tell me what a loser he was, while putting away drink after drink and getting more and more depressed.

Needless to say, it was a big turnoff. No one wants to date a conceited ass, but who wants to date a person that thinks so little of himself?

So, I started asking him questions, but he was as interesting as a wet noodle. Which I suppose, to some, could be thrilling, but not to me.

I yawned a few times and said I was tired.

He wanted to walk me home, but I firmly told him I was fine. I ended our date early with a handshake.

It was not easy to find your better half in Middletown. It's true that in a small town, there is a greater sense of community and the potential for more close-knit relationships, but it also offers a limited supply of dating material.

My name is Kara Grant, by the way. I had lived in Middletown all my life and I have no plans to leave. I'm happy here.

I have a degree in business administration, and I work with the local contractor, Percy Wittmore. I am a multitasking worker, kind of a wild card.

In my line of work, I'm surrounded mostly by men. In my first weeks, some of the single guys flirted with me, or tried to get into my panties, but I put them in their place. Growing up, I loved playing baseball. I used to carry with me a pink baseball bat, and sooner than later, everyone knew I was not afraid of using it. To be honest, I hadn't had to hit someone since I was eleven. But the stories of how I hit a bully in the stomach with it stuck around.

Once my friends and co-workers understood I was not one to mess with, we got along well. I like to hang with them and go for a few beers after work. After that, I was regarded as 'one of the guys', whatever that meant.

I am outspoken and opinionated; don't like to wear makeup or stereotypically feminine attire (which is generally not appropriate for construction sites). Some people say that I'm a tomboy, but I can get really girly if the right guy comes along. I love to shop. I love to eat, too.

My parents and my older sister Jenny live in Middletown too. She was involved in a horrible car crash on prom night. The driver was drunk, hit a curve too fast, and crashed against a tree. Jenny woke up in the hospital bed unable to feel her legs. The doctors said that she was going to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

Knowing my sister was never going to walk again was hard for everyone in my family. When Jenny finally left the hospital, she looked drawn and gray, as if the accident had sucked out half her soul.

My parents are wonderful people, but they are extremely overprotective. That was the last thing my sister needed.

I had to be strong for Jenny. I couldn't allow myself to become broken. Being my sister's rock as she went through the most terrifying rollercoaster of her life, took everything out of me.

My best friend Ray was there for me the whole time. He was the one I could always count on for anything. He was the only one I let my guard down with. When I became anxious, Ray would give calm reassurance that things were going to be okay. He was the one that kept me from falling apart. He let me cry on his shoulder when I couldn't hold the tears anymore.

Ray never asked for anything in return.

One day, I realized I was in love with him. Ray was a man, who genuinely liked me for something, other than getting in my panties. And it made me feel terrifyingly good to be around him.

I never had any reason to believe Ray felt the same way. He never pushed me to be more than friends. So I let things be the way they were.

I never got to confess my feelings to him. I wouldn't have been able to pursue a relationship with him anyway. I was too busy taking care of my sister.

As soon as we finished high school, his family left Middletown for good. His father had gotten a job with a big company. Sadly, many residents leave our town in search of better employment opportunities.

I knew losing my best friend would be hard, but I didn't realize just how difficult it would be.

I focused on helping my sister and did my best to forget Ray.

I did some crazy stuff, dated some guys in college, but nothing serious, because I couldn't get Ray out of my mind.

CHAPTER 2

On the way back home, I finally got to read the text from Ray. It was a simple, "Hey, Kara, may I call you?"

I called him back immediately.

"Hi, Ray! It has been years since I heard your voice. I thought you had forgotten me. To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?" I greeted him.

"Hey, Supergirl, since when did you become so formal?" he asked.

Ray always thought my parents were nerds, who had named me after Supergirl's Kryptonian name, Kara Zor-El. The truth was, my parents, had named me Cara, an Italian name that means 'beloved'. When I was a teen, I started spelling it with a 'K' to make it more interesting.

"I'm a big girl now, Ray. I became a responsible member of our community."

"It's about time." He was trying to joke, but his voice sounded low and husky.

"How are your parents?"

I heard Ray sigh on the other side of the line.

"They are good. They decided to go on a hundred-days cruise for their anniversary. So, I'm thinking about going back to Middletown and spending time with you and your family. It's been ages since we had a proper talk."

"That would be great. You know you're always welcome." I was surprised by the news, but happy.

"Can you get me someplace cheap to rent?"

"You won't be able to find a place to rent. Everything is booked in advance. It's tourist season. How long are you planning to stay?"

"Not sure. Two months or so. Probably more."

I frowned at his words. "You don't have to work or something?" I tried to make my voice sound light.

There was a long pause on the other side of the line.

"It's complicated, Kara. I prefer to explain things to you in person." Ray's voice was now very serious.

"Okay. Listen, you can stay at my place if you don't mind the gossip. You know a guy and a girl living together under the same roof. People will talk."

"You're not living with your sister anymore?" he asked.

"Nope. Jenny got married and I moved out to my own place to give the happy couple some privacy. The wedding was a small event, otherwise, they would have invited you."

"That's great news! I'm happy for Jenny. She deserves all the happiness in the world. Don't worry about the invitation, I understand. I'll make sure to bring a present for them."

"Liam, that's her husband's name, is a great guy. He makes Jenny happy. After all my sister went through, I'm happy she found someone who loves her, as she deserves to be loved."

"I couldn't agree more. What about you, Kara? Are you dating someone?"

I heaved out a breath. "Nope. Still single. I have no desire to get married yet."

"Unless it's you, you clueless fool."

"Even if it got your mother off your back?"

I laughed out loud. Ray knew my mother too well.

"The idea has merit, but I'm looking for Mr. Perfect and I won't settle down for Mr. Good Enough."

"Fair enough. Maybe I could stay with your parents. For what you told me they have two empty rooms."

"No way! You'll be the one having my mother on your back then. I refuse to submit you to such a fate." My laughter cracked in the empty streets. "You'll stay with me at my place. End of discussion."

"The last thing I want to do is ruin your reputation, Kara," he insisted.

When in doubt, I always asked myself, 'what would my mother do?' and then I'd do the opposite. The system had worked well for me in the past.

"You know me; I don't care about what people might say."

"I do know you."

"Okay, it's settled then. Text me when with the flight info and I'll pick you up at the airport."

"I'll do. It was great talking with you again, Kara. I missed you. Don't worry, your virtue will be safe with me."

"I'm not worried, but I'll keep my pink bat close, just in case," I joked.

Ray laughed, a hollow sound. Or so it seemed to me.

"Do you still carry that thing around?"

"Yep. A girl needs protection in times like these."

He laughed again. A genuine laugh this time.

"True that. Well, take care, Kara. See you soon."

"You too, Ray. Looking forward to it."

As soon as I opened the door of my place, I knew something was wrong. My mother was waiting for me in the living room.

Why on Earth did I give my mother a spare key?

I went straight to the fridge, got a Dr. Pepper soda, and tipped it to my lips, taking a long sip to disguise the urge to laugh at the serious expression of my mom. It wasn't that I'd never seen my mother looking disgruntled before. God knows I had.

Then, I settled down on my couch, sitting across from her. "What is this, Mom? It's a bit early for your monthly intervention."

"No, it's not an intervention," Mom said, picking an invisible lint from her dress. "But if you keep putting off the conversation about settling down, I might have to stage one."

Once a month, my mother felt the need to remind me that I was still single and I wasn't giving her any grandchildren.

"If you want grandchildren you're barking up the wrong tree, Mom. You should be bugging Jenny, not me. She's the married one."

I smiled at her, trying to lighten the mood.

"I do want grandchildren," my mother agreed, "but what I want even more is to see you sharing your life with the person you love; I want to see your life being enriched and made complete by the same kind of love your father and I share. I want for you what every mother wants for her child," she told me fiercely, her eyes darkening with maternal protection and love. "I want you to be happy."

I wedged the can between my thighs. "I'm happy, Mom. I already told you that. I have a great job, very special friends, and I live in the most beautiful town surrounded by nature. I don't need a man to be happy."

"I know you don't need a man to be happy, but it sure is nice if one's around."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, maybe if some wonderful guy drops in from another planet, I'll ask him if he wants to be my life mate."

My mother shook her head. "You never take anything seriously. Can't you just have a serious conversation with me? Do you always have to make a joke out of everything?"

"You're serious enough for the both of us, Mom."

"I could ask your brother-in-law to bring a friend for you. So you won't be dateless for the Apple Harvesting Festival."

"Pass."

"Oh God, you're so infuriating, Kara. Why?"

"Because I refuse to be fixed up again. Remember what happened the last time."

My mother grimaced.

"You and that darn baseball bat... That poor man was so scared—"

"He grabbed my butt," I interrupted, and kept talking before my mother started a rant about my blind-date bad manners. "So I pointed at his balls with the bat and told him to back off. I wasn't going to hit him. Besides, I won't be alone. Ray is coming to Middletown to spend some time with us."

My words closed her mouth.

"Oh! That's wonderful news," her eyes were now sparkling with the happy news. "Is he single?"

I rolled my eyes again. "I'm not sure. He was dating a girl. They were serious. He is coming alone."

I could see the gears working in my mother's mind. "Maybe they broke up."

I took a sip, and shrugged. That would explain why he sounded so sad.

"Are Ray's parents coming, too?"

"No. They are on a cruise. He's on his own."

Then, she asked, "Where is Ray going to stay?"

"I offered him to stay here with me," I said, very slowly, pointing each word with emphasis. And waited for what was going to come.

"What? Kara, are you trying to give me a heart attack?" Mom barked. The tips of her ears were red. "It's bad enough that you work surrounded by men and now this! Do you have any idea what people are going to think of you?"

I shrugged. "I have a pretty good idea. People in Middletown always talk. They always think things, and have an opinion. So if this is inevitable, why would I let this be the reason I'm not doing the right thing? Ray is not the Big Bad Wolf and I'm not Little Red Riding Hood. He is my best friend. He is staying here. With me. It's already decided."

"You must really hate me."

I decided to cut to the quick. "Not everything is about you, Mother."

"Don't say 'mother' that way."

"What way?"

"Like it should be censored for television."

I took a deep breath, and decided to get our conversation back on track.

"Look, I hate having to say this to you. Feels like overkill but... I'm and adult, my sex life is my own business," I said, looking straight into her eyes. "I'm not saying I'm going to sleep with Ray, but if I would, it would be MY business, and no one else's."

My mother wasn't amused.

When the silence extended without Mom saying anything, I sighed.

"It was a joke. Mainly. Nothing is going to happen with Ray, Mom. He is my best friend. Just a friend."

That seemed to appease her.

"I always thought you two were an item in high school."

"You were not the only one, but there wasn't anything romantic going on between us."

After a moment of silence, my mother capitulated. "All right, I still don't like it, but you're right, you're a grown-up girl now. This is the last time I'll bring it up."

"Are you sure? I can pencil you in for next week—"

"Don't be a smarty pants, Kara. It doesn't suit you," Mom grunted and took her leave.

As soon as the door closed behind her, I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Well. Thank God this is over," I said to myself.

I turned and looked at the guest room's door.

Ray'd be staying there. With me.

The idea that Ray was going to sleep there got me excited in a way that I hadn't been in ages.

Muffling a sigh, I went to my room, took off my shoes, lay down on my bed, and closed my eyes, wishing Ray were already here.

CHAPTER 3

Three days after our talk, Ray texted me with the details of his arrival.

I walked into the airport and scanned the baggage claim area to see if Ray had arrived yet. Several people stood watching luggage tumble onto the conveyor.

I looked across the sea of people trying to keep my mind off the fact that Ray'd be spending the next months with me. Then, I spotted him. He still looked the same. His hair was pinned up with a few loose curls hanging down. He was wearing a navy T-shirt and a pair of faded jeans with tennis shoes.

Maybe it was me, but he had a dark cloud hanging over him. There were shadows under his eyes and his skin was a bit pale.

I waved a hand in the air until I caught his attention.

"Ray! Over here!"

Something strange crossed his face, and I couldn't read what it was. He crossed the airport to greet me. The closer he got, the harder my stomach twisted.

"Hey there, Supergirl," Ray said, with a smile. But the smile didn't bring any light to his eyes. He was carrying a black bag onto his shoulder. I reached to take it from him out of habit, but he gently pulled away.

"Thanks, it's okay. I've got it."

We walked toward the exit. "How was your flight?"

"It was good. I was tired, so I slept for most of the flight."

"How has the weather been in Boston?"

"It has been pretty cold. It really seems much colder here than I anticipated." There was something about Ray that just seemed... absent.

I definitely had to talk with my friend and ask him what was going on.

"My car is parked not far away," I said, taking his arm.

Ray gave me a nod in acknowledgment and walked with me, his mouth a thin line. We got into the car and drove back to Middletown.

"So, how come you're coming alone, Ray? Last time we talked you were in a very steady relationship with a rich chick... Annie?"

"Amy. I even bought her a diamond ring and she said yes," Ray said, in a very sad voice.

"What went wrong?"

Ray swallowed and took his time preparing his next words.

"Amy clearly didn't care about the commitment. I found out she had been cheating on me for the entire duration of our relationship with some of my co-workers and others."

Whoa, no wonder he looked so gloomy. "Even while you were engaged?"

"Yep."

"How did you find out?"

"Whenever we were together, Amy was constantly getting texts. When I asked her who was texting her, she didn't tell me. I knew in my gut something was up. One day, my phone pinged with a text. So I picked it up. I honestly thought it was mine, we had the same phone."

Ray closed his eyes and slumped back against his seat. His face was a mask of pain.

"It was a photo of Amy deepthroating a guy. At first, I was stunned; I just stood there and looked at the photo, unable to react. Then, the anger started to build and I began checking her gallery and messages." Ray paused, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath trying to calm down. "It was worse than I expected. She had been sleeping around throughout our relationship. It wasn't just a guy, but lots of them. Most of them from her father's company. My workplace. It was like being hit by a truck. One moment I was well and happy, and the next I felt like dying."

DB86
DB86
1,245 Followers