Mating Season

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Just to reassure them, Greg covered Claire's hand with his and told her father, "Believe me, I'd never dream of hurting your daughter. And I think you should be proud of her. She's great at her job, and we get along so well that I'm actually hoping we'll have a future."

Claire's eyes shot open, shocked when he she heard him mentioning a future for them. And she wondered why he'd tell them something like that, when they both knew once the holidays were over, they probably would be, too.

Of course the conversation went right over the kid's heads. All of them anxiously wiggling in their seats, hoping to get dinner over with so they could open their gifts that sat waiting for them in the living room, under the big Christmas tree, adorned with lots of handmade decorations that all the grandkids had made, and strung with festive popcorn and cranberry garlands.

Claire had ordered their presents online, and had them delivered to the house. But she'd taken a moment to include Greg's name on the gift tags, so that they'd think he'd got them something, too, especially since they'd flown straight from Vegas with no time to shop.

Her mother smiled and mouthed, "Thank you," when she opened the pretty pale pink sweater she picked for her, along with a soft pink and white silk scarf. And once her father had un-wrapped his gift, he laughed at the new GPS she'd bought him, since he didn't know how to work all the apps on the cell phone that he seldom bothered to carry.

But the children squealed with delight when they opened their presents and saw all the carefully chosen toys she'd picked for each one. And all of them ran over to hug and kiss both Claire and Greg to thank them for everything, especially Reesa, smiling from ear to ear, looking thrilled to bits with her new blonde-haired baby doll carefully tucked in her arms. Then she held it out and let her new friend Greg have a closer look at it.

Once Greg told Reesa that he thought her dolly was pretty, he whispered in Claire's ear, "I'll pay you back for everything." But she just shook her head, since she'd bought all the gifts before she even knew he was coming. So there was no way she'd let him pay her back. But then she smiled when he said, "And we should get her a little doll carriage to go with it, too," which she thought was pretty sweet.

When dinner was finally over and everything was cleaned up and cleared away, the ones that were heading home kissed and hugged everyone goodbye, wishing them all a Merry Christmas, and soon everyone was yawning, deciding it was time for bed.

Greg was given the spare room at the end of long hallway upstairs -- at the opposite end from hers, about as far away as her parents could put him she realized, without making him sleep in the barn.

Her arms loaded with bedding, Claire went in and helped him make up his bed. And once they were done, since they were alone, he took the opportunity to give her a kiss -- a delectably, long slow lingering kiss, that had Claire's knees nearly buckling and her toes curling into the carpet by the time they finally broke apart.

Her breath a little shaky, smiling into his eyes, she whispered, "I should go."

Reluctant to have her leave, his hands still on her hips, smiling, he kept plucking at her lips, till she was afraid they'd wind up tumbling into his bed. With his eyes on warm hers, Greg stroked her cheek. "Guess I'll see you in the morning, then."

She nodded, touched her lips to his one last time and whispered, "Merry Christmas, Greg." After he'd said it back, she turned and left, afraid if they kept kissing she wouldn't be able to resist him.

In the morning after a hearty farm-style breakfast, Claire's brother David was out early brushing the snow off the windshield of their rental car. When Greg walked out and saw him cleaning the last bit of snow off the roof, he said, "Thanks, David, but I could have done that."

"No problem, I figured I'd help you two get on the road, so you wouldn't be late for your flight."

Greg nodded looking around, realizing he was going to miss both the farm and her family, they'd made him feel so welcome. And then he eyed the little barn and his face broke into a grin, because that was something he knew he'd never forget. "I really like it here," he remarked, more or less to himself, surprised at how at home he felt after only a day.

David nodded. "Not sure if you knew, but your family's old homestead is up for sale. Last owner just passed away, and it's just been listed."

Greg eyed him, looking thoughtful. "Whereabouts is it from here?"

David smiled, probably suspecting that he might want to have a look. "It's not far, only about five or six miles up the road. You turn left at the church and it's the big red brick farmhouse set amongst the trees with the white wrap around veranda. It's got a good size barn, too."

"Thanks for letting me know. I think I might just take a look."

Finally they said their goodbyes with lots of heartfelt hugs, and accepted a can of homemade cookies to give to his mother for Christmas, from her family. And as they drove off, Greg noticed Claire looked a little sad, like she was trying not to cry as she turned and kept waving, till they could barely see her mother waving back from the doorway.

He reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze. "You've got a really nice family, Claire."

She swallowed hard, blinked a few times and nodded. "I know. Don't mind me." She wiped at her eyes, feeling silly. "I always get choked up when it's time to leave, just hoping everyone will still be here when I get back, hopefully next summer."

He patted her hand and assured her. "They'll be here."

When he turned right instead of left as they drove out of the long drive driveway at the edge of the farm, she looked confused. "You remember that the airport is south from here, right?"

He smiled over at her. "I know. But I just want to see something before we go."

He followed the directions her brother gave him, pulled into the long driveway and turned off the car. And as he sat looking at the old brick farmhouse, the memories came flooding back from the time he was a boy and would visit his great-grandparents with his family. He glanced around the property, remembering how all the Nelsons would gather when they came. The men playing horseshoes in the shade of the old maple trees, while the kids would play tag, or have fun jumping from the loft in the barn onto the bales of hay below, hoping they wouldn't get caught, or wind up breaking anything.

The food was amazing then too, lots of Norwegian dishes he hadn't had in years that he could almost taste, as he gazed up at the grand old house.

Finally, Claire reached for his hand. "Do you know the people that live here?"

"I used to. This was my great-grandparents place, the original Hanson homestead, and we'd come and see them every time we visited. The whole family would get together in the summertime just like yours."

Claire looked up admiring the big wrap around porch. "It's a beautiful old house."

Greg tipped his head and looked up at the roof. "It is, isn't it? And someone's kept it up. It looks like the veranda's got a fresh coat of paint, and the roof looks pretty new, too."

She turned and pointed at the realtor's sign. "And it's up for sale."

Greg smiled. "I know. Your brother David thought I might be interested to see it. How about we take a closer look?"

He opened her door, took her hand and they walked up the wide staircase together onto the big wrap around veranda. And as soon as he peered into the big front window, he shook his head, smiling. "Wow. I can remember playing Go Fish and Crazy 8's on the floor in there with my cousins like it was yesterday." He pointed, and said, "And their TV was in the corner, right where that flat screen is now, where all us kids would watch cartoons and have lunch together on the floor. It's like going back in time, seeing this again. I think I was about ten when my great-grandfather passed away, and then one of my great uncles owned it after that."

He got out his phone and started taking pictures, and then he turned and got a good shot of the realtor's sign, making sure he got the phone number. Then he looked at Claire, grinned and said, "Smile," and he got one of her, too, flashing a really pretty smile.

Claire watched him poking around, looking in all the windows, wondering what he was up to, but didn't know if she should ask.

After they'd walked around the property, and he took a fast look in the barn, he looked at his watch, heaved a sigh and said, "I guess we should go." Still looking a little confused, she just nodded.

Their flight to New York was a little over two hours, so they had some time to talk. After they'd discussed the fun they'd had with her family, and how much Greg had enjoyed himself, he tugged her hand and caught her off guard when he said, "So, what's the story with your roommates from hell?"

Claire sighed, wishing he hadn't heard that. "I just wish my sister had thought before she asked. It's not exactly something I like to share. And I know it worries my parents that I'm not exactly settled; like they're not already worried enough with me living on my own in the big bad city."

He squeezed her hand. "So, tell me what's going on."

She blew out a breath, wondering where to start. "Well, when I first moved to New York, after I got hired at Hanson, I couldn't believe how high the rents were. So for the first few weeks I wound up staying in a sketchy hotel in what I quickly discovered was a pretty bad part of the city. I was so nervous walking home from the subway at night, always terrified of being mugged, that I knew I couldn't stay there.

"Then one day when I was having lunch with one of the ladies in the office, when I mentioned how hard it was to find somewhere affordable and decent to live, she told me that her cousin Sue was looking for another roommate to go thirds on her rent. And she said the apartment was nice, in a pretty good neighborhood. So, of course I jumped at the chance to get out of that crappy hotel. Trouble was, as soon as I gave Sue the first and last month's rent, she explained that being the last one in, I'd have to sleep on the couch without a closet or anywhere to put my things. But I decided it was worth having to live out of a suitcase to get out of where I was staying, and I kind of got used to it, figuring I could handle it for now, at least until I discovered that one of them was a klepto, when my stuff kept disappearing. She helps herself to anything that isn't nailed down, so I have to take anything valuable with me to the office, which is kind of crazy that I can't trust the people I live with. But even worse, Sue's got a really short fuse, and she's a screamer, which is pretty nerve-racking, never knowing when she's going to explode. And nearly anything can set her off, even just a drop of water left on bathroom faucet, can send her into a tailspin, because she's a real neat freak, too. And now I know why they were looking for another roommate, seeing as they're both impossible to live with." She shrugged. "So, now I'm looking for somewhere else to live again. And I've got an agent looking in New Jersey where the rents are cheaper. I figure I'll just have to get up earlier to commute."

Greg could understand her wanting to move. Hell, now he wanted her out of there, just as soon as he could get her things packed. And before he realized it, he was saying, "Well why don't you come and live with me? I've got a three bedroom condo. And if you wanted, you could have your own room. But you need to get out of there, Claire, it sounds like a nightmare."

She could hardly believe what he was saying, and wondered if he was serious, because there was just no way she could ever live with her boss, no matter how cozy things had gotten between them. "Well thanks for the offer, but we both know I could never live with you."

He turned to face her. "Why not? We like each other, we have fun. Why not give it a try? And I promise I'd never steal your clothes, because I doubt any of your stuff would fit me."

Though she laughed at that, a moment later, she carefully said, "But it could get kind of awkward with me there, if you ever wanted to um..."

"Ever wanted to what?"

She looked down at her hands, afraid to look at him when she quietly said, "If you ever wanted to have a woman over, especially for the night. I think it would be kind of uncomfortable with me wandering around while you entertaining someone, don't you?"

Greg's stared at her, wondering if he'd heard her right. Then he lifted her chin so she'd have to look at him when he asked, "And why would I want to do that?"

She looked a little uncomfortable as she looked at him and gave a list of reasons why it would never work out, especially because she'd hate to impose on the head of the company of all people. "Greg, remember this was just supposed to be about blowing off a little steam after the sales meeting in Vegas. And it's already a little crazy that we're putting on a show for our families and pretending to be involved. So there's no way we could ever move in together, because I like you as a friend, and things would probably change if I was around all the time. Plus, I'm not sure you'd know how to tell me if you wanted me to leave. And I really can't afford to risk my job. I work for you remember, you're my boss. Maybe we shouldn't have fooled around, but I don't regret anything we've done together. And I'd really hate you feeling like you had to tip toe around me in your own place if you started seeing someone else."

At first he didn't say anything, and just stared straight ahead, because he was too shocked to even voice what he was thinking. While he'd thought they were growing closer, maybe even looking into a future together, from what she was saying, she was getting ready to give him the kiss-off once they got back home.

He opened his mouth, about to ask her if she even liked him, but then he closed it again. First they'd get through Christmas with his family, but then they were going to talk. And he was going to move her into his place, just for his own piece of mind, whether she agreed to it or not. Even if she wanted her own bedroom, at least he knew she'd be safe.

When they arrived at his mother's condo, as Greg wheeled their suitcases behind them, Claire looked around the elegant marble and brass lobby with a security guard stationed at the desk, and murmured, "Wow, this is a beautiful building."

He nodded, looking around then, too. "Yeah, it's nice."

After they got in the elevator, he noticed she a looked a little nervous. Finally she looked over at him. "I just hope they believe that we're a couple."

He'd make sure they did. Wearing a sexy smirk, with his eyes locked on hers, he stepped closer, slipped his arms around her, slid his tongue between her lips and really laid one on her. And the way she instantly started grinding herself against him, with her arms tight around his neck, and their hands diving into each other's hair, both of them moaning as the kiss went on and on, getting him hard and leaving them both breathless, he knew they had something pretty amazing going on, whether she wanted to admit it or not. Especially if all they had to do was share a kiss to lose themselves in each other.

By the time the elevator stopped at the penthouse, he stood back, smiling to himself, deciding that her swollen lips, flushed cheeks, and the choppy way she was breathing, fighting to compose herself with her hair a little tussled, looking like she'd just been tangling in the sheets with him, would let his family know that they weren't faking a damn thing.

When his mother Cynthia answered his knock at the door, she smiled when she saw her son. And then her grin grew even wider when she got a look at the pretty woman standing beside him. "Merry Christmas, Gregory," she murmured as she pulled him close and kissed his cheek. Then she stepped back and looked at Claire. "And who is this lovely girl?"

Smiling at Claire, he said, "Mom, this is my lady love, Claire."

Surprised, Claire turned her head, and stared at him. Lady love, seriously? She thought he was laying it on a little thick, especially if they were only supposed to have been together for a few weeks.

But as his mother reached out to shake her hand, and wish her a Merry Christmas, if the lady love business surprised her, her jaw almost hit the floor when he grinned and said, "And she's just agreed to move in with me."

His mother looked a little startled, touching a hand to her chest she stood staring back and forth between them. "Well, it sounds serious then, doesn't it?"

Greg nodded, fighting hard not to laugh at the shocked look on Claire's face, as he confirmed, "It is."

Once his mother finally turned and led the way ahead of them, he slipped his arm around Claire and brushed a kiss to her cheek. And she just turned her head, staring hard at him like he'd lost his mind, which made him want to laugh even more.

But before she could utter a word, and ask him what he was thinking, they were being surrounded by his family. And she couldn't believe how attractive his sisters were, all three of them blonde, slender, and absolutely gorgeous, much like their mother, all sharing the same striking silvery-blue eyes.

Greg took a moment to introduce everyone, and Claire felt so overwhelmed by what he'd just said about them moving in together, that all the names went right over her head. Until an adorable little boy of about two, wound his way into the crowd and held his arms open for Greg to pick him up, and the way he smiled up at him, she couldn't help but smile, too, he was just so cute. Greg told her, "And this is my favorite nephew, Ben, seeing as he's the only nephew I've got." Then he pressed a kissed to his chubby little cheek, and asked, "So did Santa get you what you asked for, Ben?"

Smiling from ear to ear Ben nodded holding out a little red fire engine he had grasped in his fingers, for his uncle to see. His sister laughed and explained, "That was in his Christmas stocking. And out of all the gifts he got, it's the only thing he cares about, and he hasn't put it down, even to eat."

Greg nodded, and turned it in his hand. "I can see why. It's a really nice truck, isn't it, buddy?" Nodding, Ben smiled, squeezed his face between his hands and pressed a big smacking kiss to his uncle's cheek.

"As you can see, my son is smitten with his Uncle Greg," Sandra his second youngest sister told Claire.

His mother, pouring herself a glass of wine, piped up, "We keep telling him that he'd make a wonderful father."

Claire just nodded and smiled at everyone, remembering that this was why she was here to take the pressure off of him, so they'd think that maybe one day he might settle down and actually start a family of his own. So, she smiled at him, and said, "Yes, he really is good with kids. My little niece bonded with him as soon as they met."

Greg flashed her a smile, and she smiled back, because they'd bonded pretty quickly, too.

Actually, he was surprisingly good with kids, and Claire imagined if he ever did find the right woman to marry, that he'd be an amazing father. And he wouldn't be shy about letting them know that he loved them, just like her dad, who loved to show his affection.

"What can I get you to drink, Claire?" his mother asked.

"I'll get it," Greg offered, handing his nephew off to his sister, with a ruffle of his sandy-brown hair.

Claire walked over to where his mother was standing by the huge elegant Christmas tree, lit up with little white fairy lights and tastefully decorated with shimmering silver and gold bows. "That's a beautiful tree, Mrs. Hanson."