Mating Season

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, please call me Cynthia. She smiled up at the tree. "I do love a real tree. And the smell really makes you think of Christmas, doesn't it?"

Drawing in a breath of the pine-scented air, she agreed. "It really does." Then she handed her the gift bag with the can of cookies, and quietly said, "These are from my mother, just a little something to add to your dinner."

Greg walked out of the kitchen carrying two glasses of white wine, and when he saw her handing his mother the can of cookies, he said, "Those are homemade, Mom, and they're really good."

His mother's face looked pinched when she smiled, staring at the can decorated with a comical looking snowman. "How lovely. And I'll have to send something for your mother. But please thank her for thinking of us and sending them along."

"Oh, I will. And you really don't have to get her anything, she wouldn't expect it."

Greg rolled his eyes, seeing that his mother was being his mother, already acting a little prickly. So he put his hand to the small of Claire's back and walked her over to see his nieces.

His older sister Alessa and her husband were sitting with their two pretty blonde daughters, Paris and Elise, both dressed in white velvet Christmas dresses, looking like perfect little ladies, though he could see that the girls were anxiously eyeing the gifts under the tree. So, Greg winked at Claire and said, "How about you start handing out the gifts, girls."

The instant he said it, they both giggled and dropped to their knees and started reading all the names on the gift tags. "This one's for Ben, can I open it for him?" Paris asked, holding up a square book-shaped gift, wrapped in shiny green paper with a big red bow.

Her mother shook her head. "I think he's old enough to open it himself, but you can help if he's having trouble."

Paris just handed him his gift, and said, "Here you go, Ben," and went back to checking out the rest of the presents under the tree.

Then her and her sister both started squealing when they discovered the Gucci gift bags from their uncle. Excitedly pulling the little designer purses out of the bags, they shimmied and laughed and said in one voice, "Thank you, Uncle Greg, they're just what we wanted."

Claire's eyes almost popped out of her head when she realized he'd gotten them genuine Gucci purses that had to have set him back at least a few thousand dollars. Which made her realize how lucky she was that her nieces and nephews were pretty easy to please, and happy to get a few toys.

Greg told them, "Girls, don't forget to hand out the rest of the presents for everyone else," when they came and hugged his legs and thanked him again.

As the girls were handing everything out, he whispered to Claire, "I let my sisters decide what to get their kids, because I don't Gucci from Walmart." She smiled at him, happy to hear that he didn't. That was something else she liked about him, he really didn't act like a guy who came from money, or she might not have been as interested.

Then his mother caught her attention when she smiled at Greg and said, "Thank you darling," as she held up and admired the gold and diamond panther broach that he'd chosen for her.

Then when Paris handed Claire a present, she looked at Greg, confused. He shrugged. "It's just a little something."

When she unwrapped and opened the small blue-velvet covered box, she actually gasped at the beautiful heart-shaped diamond pendant sitting inside. "I can't accept this," she told him, wondering what he was thinking, buying her something so expensive.

He kissed her cheek, reached for the necklace, slipped her around her neck, and whispered in her ear, "Sure you can. I had to get something special for my sweetheart for our first Christmas together, or I wouldn't be much of a boyfriend, would I?" And then it dawned on her that it was just for show, so that his family would think that he was serious about her.

Then touching a finger to the pendant, she flinched when she thought about what she'd snuck away to buy him in the airport before they'd left Wisconsin. But before she could say anything, and tell him not to open it, his niece was handing him the big red gift bag. Then she wanted to sink into the floor as everyone watched him pull out the hand-knitted hat and lined leather gloves that she thought he'd like, before she realized that it was nothing like what he'd chosen for her. But he was so sweet about it and just tugged her close for a kiss and whispered, "Just what I needed, baby, thank you." And surprisingly he looked like he meant it, too, the way he nodded looking them over, even trying on the gloves.

As the rest of the gifts were being passed around, mostly now for the kids who were having fun tearing apart the paper, Greg went to get more wine, followed closely into the kitchen by his mother and older sister. He'd just pulled a bottle out of the fridge, and turned around, and his mother was right behind him, saying, "She's lovely, Gregory. But isn't she a little young for you?"

He looked between the two of them, and shook his head. "She's not that young."

"Then how old is she?" his sister asked.

He narrowed his eyes. "Old enough." There was no way he was going to tell them that he had twelve years on her, or he knew he'd never hear the end of it.

"And where did you meet her?" his mother asked.

He rolled his eyes, because he should have known whether he brought someone home or not, they'd want to get their nose in his business and give him the third degree. Heaving a breath he said, "She works at Hanson. And we just kind of hit it off and started seeing each other."

His sister cocked an eyebrow. "And you're already moving in together? Don't you think that's a little hasty?"

He tried to keep his voice even, but he hated having to explain why they were together, but if they wanted to know, he was damn going to tell them. "Actually, no, I don't think it's too soon, because I've never met anyone like her. She's down to earth, a lot smarter than I am, fun to be with, and she's got to be the sweetest person I've ever met. And I'm crazy about her, okay?"

Smirking, his sister patted his cheek. "Okay tiger, calm down." Still smiling, she poked him in the chest. "So when are you planning to pop the question?"

Greg stared past her, a little shocked that he'd blurted that out. But the truth was, he was crazy about her. Or he wouldn't have bought her the necklace. He'd never in his life considered buying jewellery for a woman before, in case they got the wrong idea, thinking he was into them when he wasn't. But he was sure as hell was into her, and he wanted her to know it.

His mother, who wasn't as easily swayed, stood her ground, sounding imperious. "I just want to know one thing. Was it her idea or yours that she move in with you?"

"It was my idea. So if you're thinking she's after me for my money, you can forget it. That's not who she is."

Then he picked up the wine and walked out of the kitchen, rolling his eyes.

When he walked up to refill her glass, Claire looked at him, and said, "Is everything okay? You look a little flushed."

He touched his lips to hers, and managed a smile. "Everything's fine. But I was thinking, I'd rather just go back and stay at my place after this. I don't live that far from here, so after dinner we'll just go." No way was he going to stay and watch her get picked apart, imagining his mother would have a lot of questions for her, and then probably his sisters would start in on her, too.

Though he'd told her that he normally stayed overnight for Christmas, because his mother expected it, Claire didn't argue. She liked his family well enough, but still felt a little like a duck out of water.

Thankfully, it wasn't long before the caterers arrived with their dinner. And once it was served, his mother smiled at everyone around the table, lifted her glass and made a toast. "Merry Christmas, and blessing to us all for the New Year."

The meal, as always, was excellent, but Greg could barely taste what he was eating. Smiling over at Claire sitting beside him, he wondered what she thought of the fancy pear, gorgonzola, and candied pecan frisee salad appetizer, knowing that he'd enjoyed her mother's home-style potato salad a heck of a lot more.

As he picked his way through dinner, he kept thinking about what he'd said in the kitchen, surprising even himself when he admitted how he felt about her. He reached over and squeezed her hand in her lap, and he really liked the way she smiled back, with her eyes sparkling with a touch of mischief. Now he could hardly wait to get the rest of her things, and move her in with him.

Even if she decided to look for another place, he couldn't leave her where she was, especially when he had two extra bedrooms that no one was using. But he really hoped, once he had her curled up in his bed beside him, that she might just decide to stay.

They both looked pretty relieved by the time coffee and liqueurs were being served, along with a decadent white chocolate yule log, with a tart raspberry coulis. And of course a pretty glass plate sat beside it with Claire's mother's Christmas cookies that everyone said were delicious.

In the kitchen, when his mother went to check on things, Greg took a minute to tell his mother that they would be leaving after dinner and wouldn't be staying overnight. And though she didn't look too pleased, she didn't say much, and just muttered, "Well, I hope she makes you happy, because you I know I only want what's best for you."

"She does make me happy, and Claire's definitely the best woman I've ever met," he assured her, dropping a kiss on her cheek.

After they'd said their goodbyes, they took a taxi to her apartment. When Greg offered to come up to help her pack, Claire shrugged. "I don't really have much to pack." But he followed her up the stairs all the same.

Once they got inside, she was relieved to see that her two roommates were still both away with their families for Christmas, deciding she'd just leave them a note to tell them that she wasn't coming back. Since she'd paid her first and last month's rent, it wasn't like she owed them anything.

And when she got out her big suitcase from behind the couch, where she normally slept, and went and got her toiletries and make-up from the bathroom, as he watched her tuck everything inside, Greg asked, "So, is that couch you've been sleeping on, even a pullout?"

When she shook her head and said, "No," he rolled his eyes, thinking of her having to sleep on a lumpy couch every night, while her roommates both had beds. Now he was really glad he was getting out of here and taking her home.

He looked around and asked, "So, which one's the klepto's room?"

When she pointed to the door off to the left, and said, "That one," he nodded.

Then with a shrug, he said, "So, before we go, why don't you take a look and see if she's got any of your things in there?"

Claire bit into her lip, not sure if she should. "But wouldn't that be like stealing?"

Chuckling, he shook his head. "No. Not when she was the one who stole your things from you in the first place. Come on. Let's go and see what she's got."

Finally she let out a breath and nodded, and led the way into 'The Klepto's room, but only because some of what she took was brand new, so it would be nice to get those things back.

Still, she was careful not to poke around too much. Although her room looked like a bomb went off, with bras hanging off the lampshades and clothes strewn everywhere and a stack of dirty dishes still sitting on the nightstand, she didn't think she'd notice if anything had been moved around. Though she wondered what Sue the neat freak would think if she ever took a look in her room.

But then when she opened the wardrobe, she let out a gasp when she recognized at least a dozen of her things hanging up, including a new black pencil skirt, she'd just bought before she'd left for Vegas, still with the price tag attached. "Why, that little witch!" she muttered, as she started rifling through the closet, and snapping up everything she knew was hers. Then her eyes really popped when she looked down and saw her favorite pair of kid leather sandals, sitting beside her sexiest red heels. "I can't believe it. She even took my shoes. And with feet the size of hers, she'd never be able to wear them. And I doubt any of my clothes would fit her, so I don't know why she'd even take them."

Holding his arms out, while she piled on one thing after another, he shrugged. "Guess she's into stealing stuff, and probably just likes the feeling of taking things that aren't hers, whether they'd fit her or not."

Claire rolled her eyes, deciding she just wanted to leave and never look back. And if she could afford it, she knew she'd definitely be looking for somewhere to live on her own next time.

"I'm so glad I'm getting out of here," she muttered as Greg strode out with the stack of clothes in his arms, while she snatched up her shoes.

Then deciding to take one last look around, she gasped and said, "Really?" when she discovered the engraved silver bracelet that mother had given her for her sixteenth birthday, sitting on the top of the dresser. Turning it in her hand, reading the inscription, "Happy 16th, All My Love, Mom," she wondered how often she'd been going through her things. Now she was glad that he'd suggested she check her room before she left, even if only to get her bracelet back.

Once she'd finished packing her suitcase, with Greg helping her zip it up, he tipped up her chin and dropped a kiss on her lips, and said, "Let's go, and you can put this place behind you." She was more than happy to do just that. And thanks to him, at least for now, she had somewhere else to stay.

On the way back to his place, sitting side by side in the taxi, with her hand tucked snugly in his, Greg looked over at the perfection of her profile as she gazed out the window, still amazed at how close they'd become. Though he'd always been attracted to her, which was why he'd always stopped to say hello and do a little flirting whenever they'd passed by each other in the office, he never imagined the little fling he was hoping for after their sales meeting in Vegas would -- if he was lucky -- have them becoming inseparable.

Now he knew he had to find a way to let her know that he more than just liked her, and was hoping that maybe if they lived together for a while, she might eventually feel the same way about him.

As they walked into the ultra-modern lobby of his building, Claire's eyes looked big as saucers. "Wow, what a beautiful building," she said, sounding a little awe-struck, as she looked all around, trying to take it all in. The high-ceilinged granite and glass lobby area with a long sleek concierge desk looked so clean and new, she wondered if he'd just moved in.

The moment the tall man at the desk saw him walking in with their suitcases, he rushed over with a luggage caddy and helped Greg load their bags. "Thanks, Mike," Greg said, and then he smiled at Claire. "Claire this is Mike, the best concierge in the city, and Mike this is my lady, Claire, who is just moving in with me."

Smiling, Claire held out her hand. With a grin of his own, Mike accepted her hand, and said, "A pleasure to meet you Claire. If you need anything, just call, and I'll be happy to help."

Once they got upstairs, walking down the hallway from the elevator, Claire was surprised that even the hallways were gorgeous, all done in shades of white and gray with sparkling glass light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. "This really is a nice building," she murmured, standing beside him as he punched in the code to open the door to his condo.

Letting her walk ahead of him, he just shrugged. "It's just nice to have a place to come home to, that's not too far from the office."

Yeah, she could imagine it was, especially sleeping where she'd been sleeping for the last few months, this place was like heaven.

"Let's get your things put away," he suggested, wheeling her bags into one of the two spare bedrooms.

Then her phone pinged with a text and she said, "I'll be right there."

The rental agent was texting to let her know he'd found a few places in New Jersey that he hoped she might like, and thought maybe over the holidays she could take a look.

After she'd texted him back that she'd be interested, and wanted him to line up as many places as he could, she followed Greg into the bedroom.

He had her suitcases sitting on the floor of a huge walk-in closet, loaded with built-ins that even had an entire wall just for shoes, which was something she'd only ever dreamed of in her wildest fantasies. But as stared at the empty shelves, knowing she wouldn't be staying long, she wondered if it was even worth unpacking. She'd lived out of a suitcase for so long, that she thought another couple of days wouldn't matter.

Turning her head, she glanced around the bedroom, stylishly decorated in shades of grey and white with a few navy blue accents. "Your condo's amazing, Greg, I've never seen anything like it." But her eyes really popped when she looked over at the bed, and knew it had to be a king size. She could already image how wonderful it would feel to sleep on something that size that would have her waking up feeling rested in the morning, with no backache.

Greg slipped his arms around her waist, touched his lips to hers, and said, "Well, make yourself at home, because you live her now, too."

She smiled, running her hands through his hair, amazed how every time he kissed her she could feel herself getting wet, and wanting to tear his clothes off.

"And I'd be happy to help you unpack, if you'd like." Or slip you out of your clothes. But he thought he'd better not rush things, since they'd just walked through the door, and he wanted her to feel at home, before they hopped into bed together.

She winced. "Um... thing is, I just got a text from the rental agent, and he's got a few places lined up that he thinks I might like. So I'm not too sure if I should bother unpacking if I'm going to be moving out soon. And I just texted him back and asked him to line as many places as he could, so I can see them over the holidays. You've been so kind offering to let me stay here, but I don't want to overstay my welcome. So hopefully I'll be out of your hair soon."

Greg just looked at her, not too sure what to say. It sounded to him like she could hardly wait to leave, while he'd been hoping that maybe they could try living together for at least a few months, to see how she felt about sharing the space as a couple. Because he already knew that he never wanted her to leave, but if she was desperate to go, he knew he couldn't stop her.

"Oh, and before I forget." She reached into her purse and handed him the little blue velvet box with the heart shaped diamond pendant. "I hope you can get your money back, because I only wore it for a couple of hours."

He looked surprised, wondering why she was giving it back. "You don't like it?"

"Of course I do. It's the prettiest thing I've ever seen. But when you slipped it around my neck with all your family watching, I realized that you were just trying to pretend to that you cared, and I knew it was just for show."

Staring at her for a minute, he thought it was time she knew the truth, even if she wasn't ready to hear it. So he took her by the hand, led over to the bed, sat down on the edge, drew her between his legs, and looked up into her eyes. "Actually, I gave you that to try and show you how much I care. And it had nothing to do with putting on a show for my family. I meant what I said about wanting to give you something special for our first Christmas together, because I'm hoping this is just the beginning for us."