Meara and Oakley Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another long moment passes and I can see his shadow begin to shed his clothing. I close my eyes against the longing that rises inside my traitorous body.

When he's finished undressing, he slides into bed next to me. He doesn't touch me. We lay there, silent, the tension shifting in waves around us. Between us.

Call me weak. Call me an idiot, but I still want him. It takes everything in me not to huddle in close to him.

His voice, when he speaks, is soft. Tired. Shot through with what sounds like resignation.

"I didn't expect it to go this far."

"You didn't expect 'what' to go this far?"

The bed shifts slightly with his deep exhalation.

"Us."

Something inside me softens a little, a bit of the anger and hurt bleeding away.

"Neither did I," I admit.

A beam of moonlight cuts across my hand where it lays on my stomach atop the comforter, pale against me dark brown.

Oakley shifts, slides his heavy arm around me. His lips graze the shell of my ear and a bit more tension leeches out of me.

"I don't want you to worry about me, Meara," he says softly.

"Should I be?"

"I don't want you to be."

I turn into the curve of his arms. I can't see his face but when I lift my fingers to trace the line of his jaw, I can feel the tension there.

"I'm not ready for things to change just yet, Meara," he murmurs. And there's something in his tone, something riding just below the surface that stops my tongue from forming any more words.

His arm tightens around me, pulling me in closer. Always closer. His heart beats steadily where my chest is flush with his.

We don't say any more. Eventually, the long day and the waning of the adrenaline that our fight had spiked in me begin to take their toll, and I start to drift off.

He'd said he's not ready for things to change just yet. Part of me doesn't understand what he means. The other understands completely and is fucking terrified.

Regardless, things are changing between us whether we want them to or not. For the good, or for the bad is yet to be determined.

The last thing I'm aware of is the gentle brush of his lips on my forehead, and everything else melts away.

I think I dream. I'm not sure.

Oakley holds me all night.

12